Trussville, AL
Greg Carter Memorial DGC Share
Uploaded By: Buff4Booty Hole #4 (Taken 3/2013)
-- / -- Par / Distance:

Frustration

1    10/18/2013   11/22/2013
Review By: AUfantastic
Pros: Loved the first 5 holes. Rating would be about a 4. However, never found 6 to continue my round.
Cons: Come on folks. I am sure Greg Carter would not have been happy with a 5 hole course. Finding holes after 5 was the most frustrating thing I have ever done on any course. I looked for anything to guide me and found NOTHING. I actually was fired up to keep going but gave up after some 30 minutes of searching and also I even talked to a P&R employee...no luck. I am not sure he could even figure it out.
Other Thoughts: Take care of the signage and help us all out. I would love to come back and see how the remaining holes play.

Not The Worst Ever

1    9/15/2013   9/16/2013
Review By: BirmingDan
Pros: Nice baskets. Good scenery -- boulders, hills and such.
Cons: I'd say impossible for a first timer to navigate without a guide. Not intuitive. Some holes too near ballpark or parking lot.
Other Thoughts: I'm not a DG snob. Just a regular guy that's been playing a few years. I don't mind the lack of pads. I do mind the lack of signage. Come on. Just a few arrows, please?

Decent course in East Birmingham

2-4    7/24/2013   8/14/2013
Review By: captain_d
Pros: * Hole 12 is probably my favorite all-time hole shooting downhill with a slight left break toward the basket.
* Good variety of shots throughout the course.
* Decently manicured.
* Easy to navigate course design.
* Up and down elevation gives a nice blend of shots and good exercise.
Cons: * Needs concrete teepads on a number of holes.
* One hole on the back nine (can't remember which one specifically) is on a downright dangerous downhill. Makes it difficult to go down.
* Lots of short tree stumps that can cause injury.
* An errant shot can land in in-play baseball and tee-ball fields while kids are playing.
* Lack of signage.
* Hole 18 is a little too uphill.
Other Thoughts: A respectable course that is in need of some work, but continues to improve every time I play it. I didn't really enjoy it the first time I played it, but I've since gotten the hang of the shots.

A good course to play if you are in the area, but nothing worth making a trip out of your way for as of August 2013.

New Layout and Open to Public

5+    3/15/2013   3/18/2013
Review By: Buff4Booty
This review was updated on 9/16/2013
Pros: Carter is very clean and it's new layout tends to flow smoother between holes. Expect short and technical holes with several major distance and open area drives.
Cons: Tee pads are not yet installed on four (4) of the new holes, and be extremely careful navigating new holes due to stumps from previously cut down trees. Particularly, one hole on the back nine has numerous stumps and small rocks proving a fickle decline.
Other Thoughts: This course just needs time to develop, I'm sure things like missing tee pads and benches will arrive in the nearby future. Carter's updated layout promotes new challenges, but at the expense of the removal of several great old holes (due to city construction).

Update*
I'd like to increase my previous rating from good to very good. The baskets rotating position, grass upkeep, and extension of hole 3 have provided a great summer experience. 9/16/13.