Cascade Locks, OR
Locks Approach DGC Share
Uploaded By: krickerd Hole #15 (Taken 8/2013)
3 / 324ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Great scenic views and wind

2-4    2/1/2014   2/3/2014
Review By: longandwrong
Pros: Other reviews pretty much give the full lowdown. I really liked the holes down by the river in the woods. Number 5 was an awesome hizer for this forearm thrower and with the right super high throw the disc sailed right into birdie zone! Next hole was a (whoa, I'm a forearmer) great little flick with my Max to another birdie shot. Valkerie Kid's review is really good. I played on two consecutive days with no or very little wind and that made a huge difference. Nice bright orange baskets.
Cons: A lot of 340 foot shots. I think I used my one driver for 11 of the 18 holes and then you get to 17&18 and it's like a nice easy backhand with a mid or putter. Interesting. Could use a large thrash can at Hole 1, I didn't know what to do with my coffee cup.
A map the first time was necessary but I think that goes for almost all courses I play the first time. Pads were on the street here and there and someone had at least painted a number and a throw line.
Other Thoughts: For a second year course I thought it was great and a lot of fun. Maybe a few less 340foot holes by changing a basket or two to give a 500 footer and a couple of 400's would be good. But I do know that my arm from cranking sidearm throws was getting tired by the time I finished. Parking sign would be good but the notes on this site helped to identify the correct parking. Hole Number 1 pad needs a large sign. Welcome to the course! Oh---the course managers are doing a great job on poison oak control. Thanks it was fun and I will play it again. Maybe I'll get lucky and play it in the wind! Bonneville and this course make a great 1 - 2 punch.

Got it on lockdown

1    6/22/2013   6/23/2013
Review By: sillybizz
Pros: This course is quite different that what you expect when you show up to the dirt patch that is the parking lot. Seeing four or five baskets in the open and mixed in with a few trees I'm not expecting much but don't let appearances fool you. Once you start playing and getting into the back end of the front nine you leave the windy fields, noisy traffic of I-84, annoying grass/weeds and sadly the nice views of the surrounding hills. The way heads down off the plateau and into the woods! You go from the longer open holes to a shorter and tighter wooded course. Hole eight is a nice stand out hole to me throwing downhill in a low ceiling canopy to a guarded basket maybe 280 feet or so, keeping the disc straight here is mandatory for desired results. You out of the trees and back up the to sparsely trees and throw some longer holes again until you reach back around to the beginning of the course.
Cons: There are arrows or ribbons on the majority of the course but there are a few areas that I got lost on or was confused on where to throw. Like the previous reviewers mentioned finding the back nine was especially difficult for me as I ended up walking all over the place. Some people may find the rough a little much for them but for me I like it and believe it to be necessary for punishing those off line throws, with the one exception of not knowing where the basket was and throwing in the wrong direction I didn't have too hard of a time.
Other Thoughts: This is a surprising course that is a good little option off of I-84 that I would play again if I was in the area. Designers of the course did a fair job with land they were given and my gripes are minimal and nit picky. Better course than it looks like from the start for sure. When you are on the second of the wooded holes (can't remember which hole, six maybe?) there is a little trail to the right which takes you out to the waters edge where you can take in the Columbia River and the surrounding rocks and ledges, very nice little spot for relaxing.