Cedar Rapids (Marion), IA

< Prev 1 2 3
Needs work

1    8/6/2016   8/6/2016
Review By: mmeseck
Pros: Offers a good variety of holes and a number of very challenging throws. Not a course for beginners. Back nine is nice but they really crammed them into a small area. Last hole is really a cool hole to throw.
Cons: Front nine was terribly overgrown with weeds that left multiple holes unplayable. The back nine opened up and was much better maintained. Older baskets and terrible signage. The lack of markings made the course very difficult to follow and left a lot of blind throws. Front has a number of holes that will gobble up discs with very narrow shoots and overgrown fairways.
Other Thoughts: With new signs and a lot of maintenance on the front nine I could see this becoming an enjoyable course. However until this takes place I won't be going back.

1    5/29/2016   6/3/2016
Review By: RussMB
Pros: Challenging course that is about half Technical and half open through sparse trees
Good mix of RH/LH shots
Accuracy is key here on a number of shots. You'll want to play more conservatively here at Legion
Renumbered to have a 1-18
Very nice multi use park
Has some spots with great scenery!
It's a course that caters to a more advanced player (CR has beginner friendly courses)
Concrete Tee's and appears to have added new, updated signs. (Still need to remove the old)
Good mix of Technical vs open field
Has a few Risk/Reward fairways
Mostly secluded from the rest of the park, with the exception of the last few holes on the back 9
Practice fairway and basket (I'm guessing this used to be the old number 1. We assumed it was #1 since we only had an old map)
Cons: Needs a Kiosk with an updated map near the new #1 Tee. Possibly a lost disc return slot.
Navigation can be really frustrating, especially for first timers. Someone really course needs to post an updated map.
The flow of the course felt rough, and having the old numbered posts and a miss numbered map didn't help the navigation.
The rough can be thick and daunting! The rough really lives up to its name in areas on the course! A lot of time could be spent looking for lost discs and errant throws.
Other Thoughts: My friend and I played here, and we really fought our way through this course. I wanted to like this place, and perhaps we both suffered from the first-timer syndrome. We too fell into the "almost walked off and left mid-round" category. The navigation was a killer! We were road tripping and this was a stop along the way. I will say that new signs have been added and I didn't see any of the aforementioned graffiti. So possibly, there is a work in progress and improvements are being made. This may be a completely different course the next time I play here.

I had no problem with the technical fairways, but we ended up spending a lot of time looking for discs that were hiding in plain sight. The overgrowth on one of the risk/reward holes, was almost too risky to throw on. Also, there was more than one occasion where we weren't going in the right direction towards the next hole. We had an out dated map, so the numbering was off and the old # posts are still present to add to the confusion. Especially since on the old map, it jumped from #7 to #10. That messed up the math in my head. I was already trying to remember to play down one, since the old #1 is gone. So on the map, #2 becomes #1 and so on. Perhaps I'm a little jaded by my first experience, but we were getting really frustrated with Legion.

I will say this, if I knew where I was going and throwing to, I probably would have had a different experience. I am willing to return and give Legion a second chance next time I'm in the area. Wouldn't be the first time I've had a better experience on my follow up round. If you are road tripping and pressed for time, I wouldn't recommend this one. However, if you are fairly good with technical throws and know how to play tighter courses, then give it a go. Just give yourself plenty of time to play here and if you can, by all means, meet up with a local and have them lead the way. Also, bring fluids with you. You won't return to your car until the end of the course.

Great Course

5+    1/1/2016   1/30/2016
Review By: caleb1989
Pros: Great mix of wooded and open, lots of elevation change, there are water hazards on 4 holes. Overall a moderately difficult course with some difficult holes. The course itself is one of the best laid out course that I have ever played.
Cons: Holes are not marked out well, and most holes no longer have signs so if never played before can be confusing.

We Are Legion

2-4    3/10/2015   1/7/2016
Review By: Spike Hyzer 23
This review was updated on 1/19/2016
Pros: Very challenging course that utilizes the moderate to heavy foliage and the slope very well. A good mix of distances and shot shapes. The 3rd hole is my favorite, but the 5th has a guarded green in the sense that roll aways are possible. The 9th is an amazing blind shot, and the 10th is one of the trickiest greens I've ever approached. The 14th may be an open green, but deciding on a line from that short tee will befuddle the best golfers. The beauty of the 20th over the creek would be a signature hole most anywhere.
Cons: The layout isn't very good and it's difficult to follow the course. It's not very well kept and had a huge trash problem when I was there. Lost discs are a huge possibility in some places. Tee pads and signs are poor and many are missing.
Other Thoughts: This is an example of a fairly open place that utilizes its space and the existing trees well. Course designers take note at what can be achieved with a little thought and planning that goes beyond simply wanting long holes (the few long ones here are also not very good).

I'll bet this used to be a nice course

2-4    10/6/2013   10/8/2013
Review By: MidwestZest
Pros: - Concrete tee pads, nice and long, but a bit narrow.
- Bathrooms right at the beginning of the course, along with shelters, playground, and splash pad.
- Variety of holes is fantastic, especially on the front half of the course. 13-19 are a bit repetitive, but elevation changes and the creek provide a bit of difference.
- In general, elevation is used very well on many portions of this course.
- Benches here and there on the last half of the course. Many are deteriorating, however.
- #11 a nice, uphill wooded shot. "A" pin position tucked up around to the right. Listed at 292, probably plays more like 350 or 375.
- #12 a very cool, long downhill tunnel shot, 30 ft wide the whole way down. Erosion is a big problem on this hole, though.
- #15 - 17 play along a large, moving creek. Mostly not in play, but bad shots would certainly cost you a disc. The risk is right there.
- #20 shoots over the creek from under a high power tower, down to a pin location probably 60 feet below you. Very awesome. Water definitely in play down and to the right.
Cons: - Layout and course flow is horrible. Bad bad bad bad bad.
- Right off the bat, figuring out where the course starts was hard. First tee is not marked, and moved due to some construction. Don't know what they'll do for a permanent solution, as the bldg is right where the #1 fairway used to be. Doubt they do anything, actually.
- Signage stinks. No course map or sign at the beginning of the course, no signs on over half the course, absolutely none of the baskets are numbered, which makes things worse for the first 3 holes. Doesn't help that #21 basket is also nearby and unmarked.
- First 3 holes are just wide open, no obstacles. Good for warm-up, though.
- Bottles, cans, and other trash everywhere. No garbage cans on the first 5 holes. Later on the course, even when there are available trash cans, they weren't always used.
- Lots of graffiti everywhere.
- #7 could be an EPICALLY AWESOME hole, if it weren't completely overgrown. Just a little work to thin out some of the thicket, and it would easily be a favorite on the course. Otherwise a spotter is pretty well required for people playing this course for the first time. I've uploaded a new picture of this hole. (It's the old #9)
- #14 tee pad is definitely usable, but bowed in the middle, and pointed uphill, on a hole with the pin 50 ft below you. Not the greatest.
- #18 and #19 are just wide open, long par 3's.
Other Thoughts: - After the first 7 holes, I seriously just about walked off the course. I had spent an hour and fifteen minutes just figuring out how to get that far. And I had help from DGCR on my phone! But instead, I trudged on, and I'm glad I did. The last 12 holes are nice. And at that point I committed myself to playing a second round, with less cynicism.
- Someone USED to care about this course, it's obvious. That hasn't been for years. They've long stopped caring. There's no way you could think about holding a tournament here, in its current condition. For the 3.3 rating it has, I was expecting much more, as weird as that sounds. But, the last review hasn't been for a year, and it's had plenty of time to deteriorate more since then.
- The hole designs themselves could easily garner a 4.0 rating, maybe a 4.25. It could be that caliber of a course in its current layout. However, with the lack of care, signs, trash removal, trail upkeep...basically everything but the hole design...I can't give this course any better than a 2.75. Which means, unfortunately, I'm going to round down. Which stinks, because this course has so much potential. But I really had a horrible time here.
- Just by adding correct, visible numbers to the baskets, and even just spray painting the hole number on the tee pad would help immensely with layout. At least when you got to a hole, you would know you're in the right spot. Add a sign with the map to the beginning of the course, some arrows to the next tee, and you're right back to a 3.25 or 3.5. Otherwise, this course is essentially unplayable to a newcomer.
- I've also uploaded a new map. Make sure you have it with you if you're going to play this course for the first time. The old one was from a configuration long gone.

1    11/22/2012   11/25/2012
Review By: jacobsladder
Pros: many hole types: wooded, hilly, open fields, nice tee pads and baskets, some creative holes involve power line towers, #20 hole is a nice throw from under a tower and over a stream to the basket
Cons: hard to navigate, I wasn't able to determine what holes were still in play, or under construction
Other Thoughts: would play again

Needs some volunteers and it would be awesome!

1    8/26/2012   11/1/2012
Pros: 1) Excellent variety in the holes here. There are tightly wooded holes, wide open holes, holes with key trees to avoid, prairie holes, water is in play, etc etc etc. Just about all aspects you want to see on a disc golf course are here.
2) Elevation is used very well on a handful of holes which adds to the variety of the course.
3) Excellent use of the property available. The course fits into the property well and flows fairly well from hole to hole (with the exception of where the re-design is occurring).
4) Some benches for sitting in between holes which is appreciated.
5) Distance variation is pretty good with holes in the 200's, 300's, and some 400's. This is an underappreciated factor in design that can go a long way in making a good course great.
6) Turf is in decent condition on most of the open holes, but there are worn down spots around backets, tees, and some of the wooded grassy fairways.
7) Plenty of other activities in this park for the rest of the family to enjoy.
Cons: 1) Narrow concrete tees, although concrete at all is better than the alternative.
2) Lots of graffiti all over the signs and garbage cans and benches and such.
3) #1 and #2 are a little strange because you walk right on back down the hill you throw up on #1. It's just slightly weird layout.
4) Compaction and subsequent erosion are taking their toll around the teepads here.
5) Only a few garbage cans on the course but plenty of loose garbage sitting around the park.
6) Lack of signage for the re-design is frustrating. I was not ever sure if I was headed to the right hole. I spent a good 30 minutes looking for a couple of holes and ended up on the part of the course that will be for future holes (I think).
7) I would say some of the holes are beginner friendly but not all of them are, so overall I consider this a negative.
8) Tee-signs are missing all over the place . . . couple that with no directional signage and that adds to the frustration.
Other Thoughts: Disc golf only . . . this course is a 4 disc course. It has great variety, great challenge, it is scenic in spots, and is just fun to throw . . . add in the navigation issues, the lack of signage, the vandalism and littering and it is less than a 3. If everything were installed and signs told you where to go on a handful of holes and the garbage was cleaned up I would say this is a solid 3.5 disc course maybe even a 4 disc course, but in the state I played it I have to give it a 3 rating. It is borderline 2.5 disc course but the fundamentals are just too good to knock this courses rating down so far. I would say when I played it this summer, it was a solid 2.75 and that is all, but I am going out on a limb to give it a 3.0 rating. I hope to see these issues get resolved in short order.

Best CR course

5+    6/7/2008   9/7/2012
Review By: JaminLDC
Pros: This course is fairly easy to navigate and if you get lost the people that regularly play it are nice and helpful. Perfect mix of open and wooded holes with a blend of ace-run holes and difficult ones. Some holes might scare off beginners to try but that's what makes this course great. It mixes beginner friendly with advanced type holes. My favorite is shooting from #20 under the power line tower and watching it hyzer over the river then cut back to the basket.
Cons: May lose a disc into the river or if thrown down the thick wooded hillsides. But what would a course be without obstacles and the possibility of losing a disc.
Other Thoughts: This is my favorite course in Cedar Rapids to play and is sure to give you a great time.

5+    8/23/2012   8/23/2012
Review By: berzerker
Pros: lots of elevation, woods and open holes. nice benches ;). pretty well maintained, baskets move frequently. cement teepads. well marked trails.
Cons: signage, holes skip from 7-10 (under renovation)
Other Thoughts: bring our arm. you'll need it once you get out of the woods.

Potential

5+    4/15/2012   4/17/2012
Review By: HamNThemGoinHam
Pros: A lot of wooded holes but ends with a stretch of open field holes. Concrete tee pads and well maintained grass. Presents plenty of challenge when in the wooded portion of the course.
Cons: Hole 7 is the most dangerous drive around when the weeds get thick (we use spotters just to prevent losing discs). A few of the open field holes are just back and forth straight open shots. Can become somewhat boring once you get out of the wooded holes.
Other Thoughts: 7 sucks but the last hole is an awesome setup, under a huge power line teeing off over the creek and down the hill to attempt to settle up by the pin which is right near the edge of the creek. Sweet.

< Prev 1 2 3