Opelika, AL
Tumble Tree DGC Share
Uploaded By: peteg Hole #13 (Taken 12/2013)
Hole #13 Red Tee

5+    2/7/2017   2/7/2017
Review By: mattdabbs
Pros: Solid course. By far the best in the area without going to Columbus. This course has plenty of length with optional long and short pads along with multiple placements that are changed regularly by the local club. They seem to be doing a great job on this course from what I have seen.

The signage is better than most with one suggestion put in the cons as are the baskets. The baskets look new.

Shot variety is great. Lots of nice tight accuracy shots that still have enough length that most holes have some decent to significant challenge. This will test your game unless you have a canon for an arm. There are a few holes around 500 feet+ as well as some water that isn't all that challenging to get around but still fun to not let it get in your head.

The big field at the end makes for a really fun driving range. The practice basket is also a big plus that many courses are missing.

Friendly locals. Everyone I have met out there has been really helpful...even doing some spotting for me on a blind hole or two. Great people.

Walking paths are present but generally out of play until holes 16 & 17. No big deal...very open and easy to see people.
Cons: The signage has everything you need to know except for pin placement. It would be nice if they would give you this at the tee because there are several blind holes. Also, tee signs are at the shorts instead of the longs so you have to walk past the long to see the sign and then come back rather than have it at the long that you could see on your way to the short if you were playing the short pad. That seems backwards to me. Maybe there is a reason they do that I can't think of.

The course design never doubles back to the parking lot so whatever you are going to take to the course go ahead and take with you.

Next tee navigation is a little bit tricky the first time playing this course. You can't always see the next tee from the last basket. There are some arrows on the course in some of the more difficult to find spots which is a huge help. I would add a few more of those arrows and this would be a non-issue.
Other Thoughts: Great course. I always look forward to playing it and look forward to continuing to improve on it and getting to know it better. Thanks to all who put so much work into this course. It shows.

Worth the time

1    1/30/2016   4/22/2016
Review By: GSquare44
Pros: Easy to follow
Restrooms at the start (but not anywhere else)
Nice tee signs
Baskets were upgraded
Cons: Water was a factor on two holes (not a big deal but just so you know)
Other Thoughts: It was very windy when I was out there playing for the Frost Bite Open.
You need both distance and technical game.

Good but could be Better

2-4    9/7/2015   9/16/2015
Review By: Cahulsey
Pros: This course is part of a sportsplex which means it's very well maintained. Concrete tee pads. Clear fairways.
Cons: This course is terribly marked, There is little signage indicating where the next tee is, which makes navigation very difficult.
Other Thoughts: I play this course every couple of months on my way to and from Montgomery. I will continue to play, but I really wish the holes were marked better.

Interesting/COnfusing

1    11/23/2014   11/24/2014
Review By: tailorholley
Pros: -Course is built around a great Opelika Sportsplex, good lighting and easy to find
-2 Tee pads for each hole. Am pads are concrete, pro pads are rubber mats.
-Baskets are in great shape.
-Design work on tee signs seems to be really accurate. I was impressed.
-Course provides a great mix. Long and Open, Short and Open, Short and Wooded, Hyzers, backhands, forehands. You name it this course has it
-Course map on the First Hole
-Practice basket near the first tee.
-Course was very well groomed. No overgrown areas, baskets were clean, teepads maintained.
Cons: -I have never been more confused as to the layout of 2-3 holes on the course. Hole 7 I believe, for starters, has no angle or throwing lane off the tee pad. The pro pad for that hole is impossible in my opinion. I could see a route if a few trees were trimmed but there was nothing. I had to play a putter up shot, then a midrange upshot. then a putt from 20 feet with about 20 trees in my way. Same goes for number 8 and number 10. Just not sure what the thought process was behind the layout.
-Somehow I went from hole 12-16 and never found holes. Granted it was getting dark so I couldn't spend time looking but I couldn't see where to go.
-Not sure the course map on the 1st hole is a good representation of the course.
-Am pads are very short. All my throws I had to start off the pad and step up onto the pad during my throw.
-You can throw a shot 20 feet from the basket on some holes and have no putt. 4-5 baskets are surrounded by 20+ trees inside the circle.
Other Thoughts: To be honest, I just was so confused as to the layout on those few holes. I have played alot of courses and pride myself on having alot of different shots in my bag. I honestly stood at those 3 holes i listed and unloaded my bag. Not once did i find the right shot. I'm still thinking about it a day later. Besides that, the course has alot to offer and is challenging in alot of ways. Hopefully I'll enjoy myself better next time I go back.

Great Course

1    5/18/2014   5/19/2014
Review By: smo0th
Pros: This is a beautiful course seems to be very well kept. The grass was cut throughout the course. The signs are great condition. You can tell that the local players take good care of the course.

The overall layout of the course flows very smoothly. The Red tees are great for beginners, while the blue tees offer some challenging throws for the more experienced players.
Cons: The only problem I had with the course was that some of the blue tees utilize a rubber mat that has not been secured properly. I found that I had to focus more on my footing, so that I would not trip on the edge of the mat in my run up.
Other Thoughts: I had to drive about 35 minutes to get to the course, and I would gladly make the trip again. It is a great course. I am looking forward to making another visit soon.

Very fun course for most part

1    3/24/2014   3/30/2014
Review By: AvengerTruth
Pros: Great mix of all types of holes and shots. Some open holes, slightly wooded holes, and very wooded holes and even a few water shots. Hyzer shots, anny shots and straight shots. I played the Pro tees, which were very fair. Much more elevation than I am used to in south Alabama, so thats a big plus for me. Course was well maintained and had great signage. Had a great time and I hope this sparks some interest in the area. Very limited on disc golf options unless going into Georgia a little.
Cons: Not very challenging, for the most part anyways. Especially from the short tees. Hole 2 has some wicked rocks near the basket that could def do some damage to a disc (this could also be a Pro I suppose, just another obstacle).
Other Thoughts: All in all, great course. There was a lady giving a tour of the course to another lady when I got there, explaining the rules and the purpose of the sport. Hopefully this means more courses in the area

Beautiful Course

5+    3/10/2014   3/17/2014
Review By: Jpuder
This review was updated on 3/18/2014
Pros: To start off I think it is important that I mention that this is my local course that I play 2-3 times a week. Anytime a local writes a review I think it is important to mention at the top because it could impact the review (good or bad).

Tumble Tree is a short, beautifully maintained, 18-hole course. The course has both concrete recreational tee pads and pro tee boxes (throw off of concrete, dirt and rubber pads) marked with concrete pavers. Each hole has great signage making the course is easy to navigate with the exception of hole number 12 which has its recreational tee pad facing the wrong direction (you actually throw the width of the pad as opposed to the length).

The course has two par 4 holes (holes 4 and 8) and the rest are par 3's. The course offers a great mix of open and wooded holes that will test your technical ability. Although there is not much elevation in the landscape, the course utilizes as much elevation change in its hole design as possible. The course also has a good balance of left and right turning holes. Holes 2 and 4 require throwing over a pond but the rest of the course is dry (hole 1 could also involve the pond if you shank your drive to the left). There are many ace-able holes making teeing off an exciting experience.

What makes this course a real gem is that it is fantastically maintained. The Opelika maintenance workers do a wonderful job keeping the grounds immaculate. The grass is always short and the trees are well-maintained. The locals even pitch in and do a lot of maintenance to this course (trimming trees, adding concrete pavers to the pro tee pads, etc..). I don't mean to sound mushy, but when you play a round at Tumble Tree you can see the love that is put into the course.

The course is right next to the Opelika Sportsplex. Although you need a membership to use the equipment in the facilities, you can always go inside to use the restrooms, water fountains, and venting machines. In addition to the course, there is a lot of wide open space to work on distance driving. Whether you need some room to warm up before a round or just want an open field to work on different types of throws after a day on the course, there is plenty of field space!

The best place to park is the back left-side of the main building (its left if you are facing the front of the building but as you go around the round-about it becomes a right). This area has the practice pin, plenty of field space and the tee boxes for hole 1.
Cons: For better or for worse Tumble tree is a short course. The pro tees add a little distance and difficulty (some holes are much more technical from the pros!) but overall this course will not test your arm. Additionally, at this time there are not multiple pin locations, which would be a great future addition to the course.
Other Thoughts: As previously stated, this is my local course so I may be biased. However, I have lived all over the U.S. (4 different geographical areas) and this is the best maintained course I have ever seen. Whether you are a local or you are just passing through Auburn / Alabama, stop out and play a round at Tumble Tree.. the locals are friendly and the course is a real beauty!

Sweet Home Alabama.

5+    3/25/2013   4/1/2013
Review By: Connor Jones
This review was updated on 8/12/2014
Pros: Mach 5's that catch like a dream.

The teepads are a bit short, but the holes out here aren't too long. They are really grippy and you don't need a lot of run-up, quite a few putter throws out here.

A nice blend of short annies to spike hyzers over various tree levels, downhill and uphill, left and right.

Next to the Opelika Sportsplex, a building that, while it requires a membership, has multiple vending machines full of snacks and drinks that you can go grab regardless, air conditioned and full of awesome activities one could enjoy after a round of disc golf, if you signed up.

Cons: As I said before not a lot of length out here, a pretty simple layout but it could turn into a tough time if you are off your lines just a hair.

Still a few holes that need some minor work with taking a few trees down, a couple that are borderline unfair but this course is so new, and I know a lot of people involved that I know it will be rapidly improving.

Other Thoughts: It's hard to write too much in the cons at this moment in time due to this course being so new. I played a round of the longs(no teepads yet) and a round of the shorts. The longs will provide a more challenging round that is definitely worthy of a drive if you're within a 30-45 minute radius. A solid course that is a welcome addition to the East Alabama/West Georgia grouping. It's awesome to see disc golf start to expand in the area.

I will be going out later this week to take photos, and fill out distances to round out this course page a bit more thoroughly.