looks can be deceiving
1 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: Course map next to parking lot
Tee signs for all the holes, including a map, distance and a direction to the next tee.
cement tee pads
good use of the little elevation in the park
New pin placements for all the holes
Cons: Several shots are either into the rough or out of the rough
new pin placements don't always change up the hole. Several are less than 20 ft from the original placement.
long walk from 18 back to the parking lot. There is a basket in the field with a tee marked with flags I could have played, but the basket was next to a very large patch of standing water and I didn't feel like chancing getting my feet wet.
Other Thoughts: In all, when I first pulled up to the course I was not expecting much. the park in a very large field with several baseball and soccer fields. The course goes around these fields.
Most of the first holes are in and out of the rough woods. Several baskets were near the creek so you do not want to overthrow your shots.
When you get to hole #12, these holes are in an older part of the park with picnic tables and a playground. Short holes in a grove a trees with some elevation changes.
The course had 2 double mando's and a mando to keep you from throwing towards the playground.
In general, I enjoyed this course, but not worth the hour drive to play here.
1 of 1 people found this review helpful.
Short and fun
0 Helpful / 2 Not
Pros: The course has nice tee pads, good signs, a decent variety of shots (except for major elevation change). It values accuracy over power. There is not much trash or graffiti on the course. It plays pretty quick and the local club has a great turn out for mini's.
Cons: The course has become a little easier over the last couple of years. Many people take down the vegetation and make "holes" just to make their casual round birdie. If it is summer time when you play then watch out for mosquitoes, the creek that runs along the side always has water. The creek never comes into play except if you shoot a couple of holes way too long. There is an over abundance of tunnel shots which seems to be too repetitive to me.
Other Thoughts: This is a multi-use park that has a nice play ground area for the kids by the last 5 holes. It plays in and out of the trees around some baseball and soccer fields. It is a great option and fun to play if you are close to the Northwest Fort Worth area.
0 of 2 people found this review helpful.
Good Family Fun
1 Helpful / 2 Not
Pros: Great family environment
- Easy to navigate: the signs and layout make it easy for a newbie to the course to find their way around.
- The park on the back 9 makes a good place to give the kids a break and keeps them from getting too bored.
- Great opportunities to open up and let it rip!
Cons: - Large basket numbers on the yellow ring would be nice. Standing on hole 13, it's real tempting to throw at the #18 basket that is directly in front of you and only about 50' further out. Same thing with 16/17 being so close together.
Other Thoughts: Overall a great course, will definitely go back!
1 of 3 people found this review helpful.
1 Helpful / 3 Not
Pros: Well laid out
Nice tee pads
Nice tee signs
Good signage between holes
Cons: A few of the holes (15-17) could use numbers on the baskets as they're close enough that you wonder which one you're supposed to be going for.
Several tees had a lot of sand on them from recent rains, making them a bit slippery.
Other Thoughts: Course strikes a nice balance between entry level and tournament grade. Short enough that even weak arms won't have to throw 8 times per hole, but challenging enough that better players can work on their finesse shots.
1 of 4 people found this review helpful.
7 Helpful / 0 Not
Not too bad
- Reasonable layout. It's a decently maintained course set behind the cop shop along the main thoroughfare of Azle. The wide-open spaces offer a great place to showcase your big arm, while still giving you a few holes to practice your accuracy with a couple ace runs in some relatively sparse woodlands. There are also some small elevation changes that test your game and make the course a bit more challenging. The blustering wind adds another degree of difficulty, but it provides a great place to learn what your discs can and will do in a more practical setting vice just heading out to an open, empty field.
- Nice equipment. Baskets are in excellent shape and the concrete teepads allow you to really grip it and rip it without worrying about slippage. Excellent signage makes navigation easy as well.
- Good amenities. There's a park and soccer fields for the kids and other non-disc golfers to enjoy while you're playing your round, so there's a virtual smorgasbord of things to do and parking is plentiful. The field would make a great place to play Ultimate.
- Very few garbage cans and just a smattering of benches on the course itself to rest your laurels.
- Could use a clean-up day. There's what seems to be a semi-dried up "creek" that flows through the woods that houses a few of the holes and there was all kinds of trash and old tires littering the bottom. Looked a bit trashy. Not having many trash cans undoubtedly contributes to this.
- Could be hazardous. Some of the holes (particularly on the back 9) play right along and very close to the playgrounds and other areas that kids are likely to frequent. Chuckers need to be extra vigilant on their throws because errant shots could prove dangerous to the kiddos.
- Monotonous. While this is a great course to air it out, its straight-forward, almost pedestrian design gets repetitive.
- No topless Hooters girls frolicking along the #8 fairway.
All in all, Ash Creek is a decent course that, with a little TLC and a few design improvements, has a lot of potential. It definitely brightens up Azle and hey, who here doesn't enjoy a few more baskets to throw at? Another 18 holes is a plus and, if you're looking to work on your drives this is the place to do it. However, I wouldn't go out of your way to play it. Ash Creek most likely won't end up in your favorites, but if you live in Fort Worth it's worth a look -- if only to be able to say you've played it.
7 of 7 people found this review helpful.
1 Helpful / 2 Not
Quick And Fun
Pros: This is a fun and very well maintained new course . Let's start off with the nice concrete tee pads that have good grip and plenty of run up space. The signs are very nicely detailed and are easy to read, providing you with all the hole information. The signs also direct you to the next tee, making the course very easy to navigate. The course has a really nice flow and good variety of some uphill, downhill elevation shots and also a few left and right shots. Some holes play in and out of the woods, were accuracy is a must, to score well. There is plenty of benches and trash cans spread throughout the course for your convenience.
Cons: The only real issue I see was, some baskets are placed too close to some tee pads. There is also some longer walks between a few holes.
Other Thoughts: Over all this is a fun course and is a must play if you are in the area.
1 of 3 people found this review helpful.
3 Helpful / 3 Not
Short, but not simple.
Pros: A good course demanding accurate shots in the 230-290 foot range which is unusual for the area. A good variety of shot shapes and challenges required for low scoring.
Cons: Tee pads too close to baskets in a few areas, Baskets too close to mixed use areas in some places.
3 of 6 people found this review helpful.
0 Helpful / 4 Not
Good newer course!
Pros: - The course is new, so the tee boxes and pins are in good shape
- The course is a bit monotonous at times, but has some fun, somewhat challenging holes
Cons: - There are a couple of holes on this course that would be unplayable after a big rain
Other Thoughts: A fun, relatively easy course. Good confidence booster!
0 of 4 people found this review helpful.
0 Helpful / 3 Not
Max use of the park.
Plenty of Ace runs, Technical shots
Baskets/Tees are great
Cons: Mosquitoes. Bring bug spray.
Walk from 18-1 is excessive.
Needs practice basket near hole 1 parking
Other Thoughts: This course is very enjoyable. I get a little challenge out of it, but it is not overwhelming for the kids/beginners. Not a long course, but a great place to work on your game.
0 of 3 people found this review helpful.
9 Helpful / 1 Not
Pros: -brand new discatchers
-poles installed for signs (signs not in yet)
-good mix of longer/shorter, open/wooded
-makes decent use of present elevation
-creek in play on a few holes (5, 7, maybe 8, 9, 10)
-right off the highway, plenty of parking
Cons: -hole 1 is across the park from hole 18
-several holes on the back 9 are dangerously close to one another, especially 16-18.
-a few holes have picnic tables in the fairway (9, 10, 15)
-the above plus a number of pedestrians that probably have no clue about disc golf make for some potential safety issues. holes 9 and 18 have mandos that attempt to mitigate the risk but there is only so much you can do.
Other Thoughts: A fun course that you can play pretty quickly despite being spread out along the edge of the park. There are woods, a creek, and even a bit of elevation that come into play. The navigation is fairly intuitive except for a few spots but there will be next tee signs in a few strategic places. The baskets and pads are brand new and great. The signs haven't been put in yet but the poles that they will go on are already there.
The wooded shots have pretty tight lines. Holes 3, 4 & 6 have narrow tunnels, the latter two with doglegs out of the woods. Hole 5 is an open field shot ~250' to a 10' wide tunnel so you have to place your drive. Holes 9 & 10 have lots of scattered trees and a low ceiling. The back end of the course is closer together and has lots of duece opportunities with rolling hills and a smattering of trees.
This course makes for a fun round. It's beginner friendly except for a few of the tighter holes so it will be good for introducing the community to the sport. The safety issues should not be of too much concern so long as the course doesn't get too crowded and people stay aware of the pedestrians. This course and the new one in Springtown make for a nice day of golf if you're willing to make the drive from Ft. Worth.
**Like this review? Hate it? Message me and let me know why! I want to make them better!**
9 of 10 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.