Ozawkie, KS
Longview DGC Share
Uploaded By: bigreddog Hole #1 (Taken 7/2013)

Amazing Challenge

5+    7/25/2013   7/29/2013
Review By: bigreddog
This review was updated on 8/30/2013
Pros: Tees are concrete and large. Baskets are great and brand new with three independent flags on top of them that indicate wind speed of 6, 12, and 18mph. (different sizes) 10/10

There is a huge variety of distances at this course. There are a couple of 200 foot holes and a couple of 700ft holes and some of everything in between depending on pin positions. 10/10

This course really forces players to throw every shot, and punishes those who don't have certain shots. Some holes, most notably 13, are also long enough to require multiple shots on the same hole. 10/10

Each hole has three different pin positions. The different hole positions really change the feel of the holes in distance, shot path, and difficulty. Many also change the par of the hole. 10/10

There are multiple ways to play most of the holes, especially those in the longer pin positions. This course really makes you think about what shot to play. decisionmaking 10/10

There are some great elevation changes at this course with good variety. Also, many are not simply up or down but go up at the start and plateau or do the opposite. There is some of everything. 10/10

The use of obstacles at this course is great, they make every hole challenging but none are ridiculous except for maybe hole 12. Still 10/10

Tee signs provide good detail on the holes and bright blue baskets with flags help view them from the tee. The only problem with navigation on the holes is if baskets are in one of the two longer spots it can be impossible to tell which from the tee. 9/10

There is great variety of openness on this course, especially for how wooded it is. No shot is completely wide open, and the majority are pretty technical. 8/10

Navigation between holes is pretty intuitive for the most part, but there can sometimes be fairly long walks between holes depending on the pin positions just because of how different the pin positions are. Still 8/10 overall

There has been and continues to be a lot of work being put into this course to make it more playable. A few days ago when I played it they were adding paths down one of the holes with a pretty steep downhill. There are a couple of other holes that I expect they will do the same on. The elevation on several holes is too severe for mowers so they have beat down the fairways with weed-eaters. 8/10
Cons: This course is not good for beginners at all, and they will not have any fun playing it. It is difficult enough that most intermediate players will struggle to stay near par. There is not a player on Earth that would not be challenged by this course, especially if the pins are back. A second set of shorter tee boxes would really help with this. 3/10 on challenging all levels without being impossible.

This course is still very rough if you stray off the fairways. Several holes have trees that were cleared from the fairways are laying on the side of the holes. In addition, there are no bathrooms or running water on the course, and a few holes need to have weeds cut down further in the fairways. There are benches on most holes which are very needed due to length and elevation. 3/10 on comfort during the round.

Discs are pretty easy to find in most fairways, but if you throw it in the rough be sure to watch it closely because they could be easily lost. A few of the holes mentioned above with shin high weeds covering the fairways also make discs hard to find. 5/10 overall
Other Thoughts: This course is probably the most challenging I've ever played if the pins are in the middle or long positions, even more so than Blue Valley Park in KC, and it's no walk in the park even in the short positions. It has by far the most length of any wooded course I've ever played with a length from 6000-9000ft depending upon pin positions. For intermediate level players this course is great for doubles. This is truly a professional level championship course.

1    7/4/2013   7/4/2013
Review By: astomps
Pros: -signs are color, have all the info and are metal, also signs pointing where next tee is
-the downhill holes are awesome (5,9,16)
-good variety of flat, uphill, downhill shots
-not 54 par
-benches on every hole
Cons: -ticks galore
-very rough, lots of rocks, weeds, unmowed fairways, thick foliage
-you can make a good shot and still be looking in the bushes for it. Either hole design needs to change or fairways need to be cleaned up
-teepads face the wrong direction
-middle of nowhere
Other Thoughts: to visualize this course, it looks like they basically bulldozed through some property to create fairways, threw down some baskets and then put in the pads. It is not an ideal 'golf' property, but I like the design overall.

My main complaint is that there are holes where there literally is not a fairway, just weeds that you throw into. This course is for you if you like to look for discs and if/once you find them, they have nicks and scuffs in them.

this currently is a brutal course just because it of the ticks and all the growth. I think this would be a lot more fun Nov-April. I was more satisfied with not losing a disc than shooting +2.

Jekyll and Hyde

1    7/2/2013   7/2/2013
Review By: simplepmart
Pros: The anticipation was high as I pulled up to one of the newer finished courses in our area (KC greater metro, which this course is as far as I could stretch the word "Metro" because it is an hour from downtown KC). You are greeted with a humongous professionally engineered sign stating that this area and parking lot are for disc golf. There is plenty of parking and the 1st tee and a few baskets are easily visible as you park your vehicle. I will not give a hole by hole description because the previous reviewer nailed it perfectly; instead, I will simply give my pros and cons they influenced my rating of this course.

Pros:
- Visible signage letting you know you have arrived to your proper destination.
- 1st tee box is RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU. Couldn't be any easier/better.
- Practice basket in also directly in immediate view from the parking lot. Speaking of baskets, every basket had 3 flags (red, white, blue) on top which indicate wind speed. These flags are still in excellent condition, and each basket was easy to see because of the powder coated blue color.
- Benches at almost every tee box. There was a stretch of holes towards the middle of the round that did not have benches yet, but if memory serves me it was only 2 or 3 holes at most.
- Signage was AWESOME. Durable, beautiful, and detailed. The hole layout on each sign is an actual aerial shot of the topography which allows you to see tree-lines, hills, and ponds that come into play. I found it very helpful and comforting that I wasn't relying on a cartoon sketch for the hole layout, but an actual detailed picture. The next tee was very easy to find as well. If you stand at the basket and give a quick glance your eyes are often my with a "hole X" (with an arrow on it) giving direction to next tee pad. Navigation was a breeze.
- Tee pads were in excellent shape. Just a touch short for my personal liking but in no way are they tiny and in no way do I feel like their length distracted my actual game. Like I said, just a preference thing. I did like the rounded (flared) front-side of the tee pad, it allowed me to take any and all angles towards the basket with my drive. Nice touch in my opinion.
- Scenery. Disc golf, to me, is #1 about the game but a close second is the scenery in which I am surrounded by while I play the sport I love. This in an incredibly beautiful piece of property and I was constantly reminded of its beauty as I trekked up, down, and even sideways through and around grasslands, rocky cliffs, woods, and a pond as I threw my plastic. Saw deer, turkey, woodpecker, and various other wildlife which made the experience perfect for my liking.
- Elevation. Some courses it is not worth mentioning the elevation because it doesn't interfere with disc selection or strategy but I believe this course has enough elevation change that it warrants a mention. While none of the elevation at this course will rival that of a true mountain course or even that of a ski-hill course, it does contain many steep up and downhill shots that are not only really neat to see but that are challenging and fun to throw! You will encounter some sort of elevation on the majority of every hole but not necessarily with every single shot.
- Challenge. This course seems to offer varying degrees of challenge. The set up I played this morning was mixed (between short, medium, and long pin locations) but seemed to slightly favor short and medium locations. This 'shorter' set up allowed for a few ace runs and made the course very manageable. I can't wait to try it when it is set up in the longer format; some of these pin locations looked SICK (in a good way)!!
- Clean, with no trash to speak of.
Cons: - It is July 2nd 2013 and ticks are STILL winning at this course. It was a given that a walk through the tall stuff would bring multiple ticks...on each ankle, calf, thigh, butt, and maybe your upper torso, arm or neck. But to pick ticks off of you after simply walking the fairway?? It was a bit much for my liking. The ticks powered through our deet and each member of our group was pulling ticks after each hole. I am not an expert in tick remediation, so I don't know how the Amy Corp. would even begin to control the infestation on this property. I hope it is possible, and I'm sure they are trying to solve the issue so that people can enjoy this gem of a course.
- Grass length. There were a few holes that seemed to have received a fresh trim (mostly weed whacking around the pin) here and there but overall the fairways and surrounding "short" rough at this course were not groomed.
- Ivy and oak. We encountered massive amounts of oak and ivy all throughout this course. I remember one hole in particular where we threw up a steep hill through the woods and there was not a path to follow or a patch of grass to walk through as the ENTIRE 'fairway' was knee-high ivy and oak. Depending on your level of sensitivity this could be dangerous, please be aware and be careful. Ivy and Oak are fairly common in our area in these types of parks so I am used to it, I only caution for those who are not familiar or are very allergic.
- No trash cans...anywhere.
- No bathroom facility in immediate area, unless you count the woods.
- No water on site.
Other Thoughts: So why the 3.5 rating? This course has not come into its own yet. It needs played, beat in, trounced on, mowed, and sprayed. When I return (which I can't wait to do), as these 'cons' are addressed I will then move my rating appropriately. 3.5 (imo) is still a very solid rating despite some glaring issues that hopefully find a solution in the near future.

Last thoughts: This course is great and I believe once the cons are solved it will be a well traveled course for those of us that live in Kansas City. As is though, I will hesitate to make the drive too often knowing that I will have to battle the ticks, ivy, oak, and long grass. If you are traveling through KC and are wondering if you should drive an hour away to play this course my suggestion (and I completely realize this is subjective, but I just want to give my honest opinion so you aren't blindsided) is...maybe, lol. If you are adventurous, outdoorsy, like the roll the dice, don't mind bugs, aren't bothered by solid fields of ivy/oak fairways (on some holes), then why not...make the trip and enjoy this brand new challenging rustic course. If you are a city boy/girl and you prefer 'city park' disc golf, you may want to take a pass.

5+    6/22/2013   6/24/2013
Review By: tedkeith
Pros: A lot of variety in holes and settings. Uphill, downhill, flat, fairly open, wooded. This course has is all. Three pin settings on every hole. Can be set pretty easy, very hard, or anything in between. Rewards distance and especially accuracy. Great signage, even extra signs between holes pointing to the next tee on some.
Cons: The little 14-16 circle is odd but the holes are great so no big deal. The only restrooms are near the campgrounds down the road. The rough is brutal in places, so don't go there.
Other Thoughts: This course is a bit out of the way but I find it worth the drive. The Corps of Engineers and area players have done a fantastic job designing and putting this in the ground. It will continue to get better and better over time.

Perry

1    4/1/2013   4/21/2013
Review By: coopera
Pros: This is where course design needs to move. There are a number of extremely challenging holes that require supreme accuracy. Distance can be helpful here, as it should be on most courses, but distance without accuracy creates a lot of 'natural' trouble.
Cons: This is a new course and still has some lines that need to be cleaned up and some underbrush to be beaten down. Once that happens this should be the archetypal 'championship' style course.

Great Addition to area!

1    4/6/2013   4/7/2013
Review By: Scobandit
Pros: Hard to beat the other review, so I will not try. The pros of this course is that it is challenging, but a lot of fun to play. The tee pads are excellent, the baskets are all new and well placed. The design is great with the exception of of I believe 15 and 16.
Cons: The course is excellent, so not many cons here. The tee for 15 and 16 are next to each other, so you tee off on 15 downhill, then you have to walk back uphill to the next tee. Hole 8's distance is incorrect on the hole info section. It says 800 feet, but it is more like 280. Look for the tee on the far left. We could only see 2 baskets, but go for the one on the left and you are good.
Other Thoughts: I know how difficult it is to put in a course, and these guys have done a great job here! You can tell that a lot of work has gone into the design and build. All I can say is a huge thank you! This course is now one of my favorites and the best part is that it will continue to get better!

Axioms of Doubt: The Perry Course by Loomis

1    4/1/2013   4/1/2013
Review By: Rob Martin
This review was updated on 10/19/2013
Pros: 4 for the level of challenge. This will go up to 4.5 when the course is completed. 3 for the present state of the course, and will be a 4. Since it is new, the course is clean of trash.
Cons: It has no tee signs and it can be confusing to navigate.
It has no services. If you need food, water, or a bathroom, you need to stop in Perry at the Ferguson Road/Hwy 24 interchange - some 10 plus miles away. I'm not sure if there is a closer location for services but that's what I have so far.
Other Thoughts: This review is actually written by Loomis. I uploaded it for him.

Upgraded from 3.5 to 4.5 because of recent improvements - signs, more benches, finished off multiple pin placements.

....
The Course: Presently set in the "Championship" level settings. Par... 60 plus. There are a few natural "2s" in this setting - Very few. The lucky soul may throw one in from distance, or find a prayer line and give themselves a chance, but to be honest, not many people will be that lucky.

And... to offset the typical doubt which surrounds my reviews of courses, today Joe Hesting (tick magnet) - a much better player than myself - played this course with us. He had already played the course so he knew what he was getting himself into during his second round. He dueced one hole (Hole 15). He was using a new putter for the second round and possibly could have dueced other holes, but it wasn't to be. That said, let the review begin.

The first impression: This is Flip City in Kansas. It's almost identical with a few minor differences. Flip City is actually more wide open. Flip City is a man's backyard at his house. Flip City has more duece chances. In time, there may be more dueces, but lines will need to open up.

It's still rough around the edges, and some of the basket placements are somewhat arbitrary and not necessarily cruel enough to match the nature of this course. There are only two holes where putting is dangerous, the rest of the placements are too safe - in my opinion.

A lot - and I mean close to a bajillion hours - of work has been put into this course to make it look good. The pads are in. Most of fairways are for the most part, defined. There are well-made bridges installed. Benches. One or two trash cans. The baskets are in and the course is as Cooper described. It's tough. Every hole has either an extreme elevation change, a tunnel, a valley, water, distance or all of the them at the same time. Every uphill shot is a tunnel shot and turns blindly. Every time you drive these holes, getting half way up the hill only gets you half way to the hole.

Most shots are blind and judging distance to the baskets is tough. Again, the course is presently set in the Championship settings; it's early in the year; the trees haven't filled out and the grass is low, so in a few months, this course is going to be even tougher (if the baskets stay where they are). Leaves will make this course darker, cast more shadows, and lines you can see now will be swallowed up by the shadows. Go play it now if you want to score in the 60's. Add ten strokes with full foliage.

The grounds are rough. There are a lot of burn piles scattered about (easily over 75) but time will erase them. There are rock piles, rock walls, and rocky cliffs - All of which concern me. Not because of disc health, but because I hate snakes and they will be an issue. They also make getting around a pain as you have to climb over most of them or play off of them. Most of the fairways will get stomped down but there are still some trees which will need cutting down to make some of the holes more playable. There are a ridiculous amount of trees. Several holes have no line whatsoever. I will let you pass your own judgement on this issue, but I didn't see them. It's not that I haven't seen holes where the lines are tiny (think Blue Spring's Young Park) but they are typically shorter holes and don't require a full drive - this course requires full drives. I will say that if you can throw thumbers you will be in heaven out here. Going up and over is going to cut strokes off your score. Even with the leaves, there are lines in the sky for the lucky few.

You will also need every single disc you have in the bag. This isn't a driver-putter course. There is a need for overstable, understable, and stable in driver, midrange and putter. You will need them all. You have shots that go straight up hill 300 feet blind to the left, or blind to the right. You have down hill bombers that must travel 400 feet through a generous tunnel. There are short holes, long holes, high risk birdie holes which also have safer routes.

Traditionally, if you mess up your drive on a course you can save par and you're not penalized for the miscue. Here, if you mess up your drive, add a stroke or two. Very rarely will a mess up be rewarded. You will need to hit your line.

I would now like to say that the main issue I have with the course "at this time" is that the course needs FEWER trees. Hole 2 is perfect the way it is, but holes 4, 7, 8, 9, 12, 16, 17 and 18 will need some grooming to make them more playable. Hole 12 is presently a legit par 5 or 6 with the number of trees. A few less and it's a four.

The rest of the course... I am going to leave to you to discover. It's beautiful out there and it will only get better.

The basic info you will need to know:

* It's not for beginners (in these settings). Pros will score in the 60's so a new player will easily score in the 80's or better. Don't be discouraged, it's worth it to see it.
* It will take two plus hours the first round, more if you miss the lines.
* It's not quite ready for carts, though you could do it. You will have to carry the cart at times. Not comfortably.
* There are no clear walking paths between holes, or ON a few holes so you will have to plow through some rough to get around. This is a problem on the holes where you have to walk downhill. If you have bad knees, ankles, etc. take your time.
* There are ticks out.
* You will be required to climb down, around and up rocky hillsides.
* There is a sneaky creek and a pond which will swallow your disc. (hole 16's pin is ten feet from a creek you can't see until you're at the basket)
* Some of the tee pads are near baskets or fairways for other holes, keep your eyes open.
* From some teepads you will see two or more baskets.

Here is some helpful information:

On Hole 1, the basket is to the right behind the pines.
On Hole 2, it's a long tunnel.
(next pad - turn around, behind you to the left)
On Hole 3, it's up hill to the far, far left. It's a par 5 - that far.
On Hole 4, it's straight ahead, there is a teeny weeny line. One will eventually have to be carved out of the woods.
On Hole 5, it's a downhill crusher. Empty the bag.
On Hole 6, it's uphill to the left. Half way up the hill is half way to the basket.
On Hole 7, it's across the ravine. Again, no real line.
On Hole 8, it's the basket to the left. There are three you can see, but play the one to the far left.
On Hole 9, it's downhill to the right. There are two "lines" - a narrow tunnel to the right; and a straight ahead line which is safer but eliminates any chance of a birdie. But yes, the basket is to to the right. The basket straight off the pad is the practice basket but should be the pin.
On Hole 10, it's to the right. (hint: not as far as it looks)
On Hole 11, it's uphill to the left.
On Hole 12, it's downhill to the right. FAR, far away. Just go for it. When you get up to your drive you will see the basket 400 feet away in a clearing past the trees. Yeah, it's that one. Again, no line here.
On Hole 13, it's a dogleg to the right. Straight for 300 then sharp right for another 200.
The next pad is next to 16's pad. 14 is the one to the right.
On Hole 14, it's straight ahead on the far side of the ravine. Thumber's Paradise.
On Hole 15, it's across the pond to the left.
Next pad is above the pin, up the hill by 14's pad.
On Hole 16, it's downhill and to the extreme left at the end of the field by the road. New lines will need to be made. Empty the bag.
On Hole 17, it's to the left, across the creek by the road. The vines will be an issue.
On Hole 18, it's straight ahead and then to the left in the field by the parking lot.

I think this is a great course and again, only time will tell how it will hold up. It will need grooming and attention to make it more manageable, but I have a feeling that's going to happen really soon.