Harrisonburg, VA
University Park Share
Uploaded By: gottafixit Hole #4 (Taken 4/2013)

A really nice 9 holer

1    12/26/2014   12/27/2014
Review By: splatbaseball51
Pros: This course has [almost] everything you'd want in a top-caliber 9-hole course.

Firstly, there are actually 18 permanently installed DISCatchers. The concept of two baskets per hole, permanently installed at that, is a little foreign for me. It can't truly call itself, or even function as an 18 for tournaments and such, but does provide consistent variety.

The tee pads are very well made, large and concrete. I love seeing Virginia use concrete pads as that is what I'm used to in NC courses. It's without a doubt the best surface to throw from and I appreciated it greatly.

The tee signs and other amenities (trash/recycling) were among the best I've ever seen. You can tell a lot of care was taken to make things look professional here and it really pays off. I'd be proud to call it my home course.

Flashbacks of NC courses abound out here. Steep elevation changes and tight wooded shots are the norm.

There is ample challenge out here, especially with the longer pin positions. There are a few risk/reward shots that will have you second-guessing. Birdie's aren't gimmies and will have to be earned.
Cons: There isn't the variety I'd like to see in a top-notch course. Sure, there are 9 alternate baskets, but they're still just alternate wooded locations in most cases. I'd like to see a few "open" holes, but I doubt this plot of land has anything to offer for that.

The location is at the very end of an athletic-field setup and honestly a little odd if you ask me. It's located essentially at the back end of a student parking lot on the hill.

I don't have much more in the way of cons. Everything is there to keep me coming back, but the lack of variety is what'll keep me from doing it often. You won't test all of your game here, but what you do test, you'll thoroughly enjoy doing it.
Other Thoughts: You can tell whoever put this in knew what they we're doing. Their hands were likely tied when it came to available land, as this is on a college campus, but they did a great job with what they had.

If, by chance, their hands weren't tied, I'd recommend trying to get a legit 18 hole course in with more shot variety. They already have the baskets, it would simply be a logistical issue. Good luck!

Better than expected

1    3/28/2014   3/28/2014
Review By: SMontgomery
Pros: Variety of shots and elevation. Used a whole bag of tricks.
Cons: 9 holes but the multiple pins helps with that but they're still the same holes just with a 10-20% difference.
Other Thoughts: Overall this is one of my favorite 9 hole courses that I've played. The tight woods forces accuracy. The elevation changes force good disc selection. I like a course that punishes a mistake and your score can get up there at University Park when that happens.

Good use of small property

1    7/8/2013   7/8/2013
Review By: reed2020
Pros: Great tee pads and signs. Great parking area. Score cards on the first tee box. Challenging fairways, must use control and placement on every hole.
Cons: This is a new course and you can tell. They need to do quite a bit of cleanup on the fairways. There are still some small trees that probably need to be removed before they grow and really disrupt the fairways. Lots of debris on the ground. One hole plays vey near an apartment complex and discs can go down. This could be a major problem eventually. They need to put a fence up to protect the apartments.
Other Thoughts: There were lots of bugs, it is played entirely in the woods for the most part. One plays from open into the woods and nine plays from woods out into the open. There are nine holes, but two placements for each hole ( short and long). I liked this course and it is a good alternative to Westover if you are in the area. I will definitely be playing this one again.

New course at JMU

2-4    4/6/2013   4/6/2013
Review By: KimBrennan
Pros: Nice use of terrain and vegetation. Concrete pads. Alternate pin positions. Lots of parking. Flow from one hole to the next fairly obvious
Cons: Didn't yet have sign posts in place. Only 9 holes. No water or restrooms near the course (though there should be some at the sports pavilion, I didn't check.) A lot of trees were cut down around #9, which has opened the hole up too much, in my opinion.

No benches, or bag hooks, but it is early yet on this course.
Other Thoughts: I played in the winter, so the trees had not yet leafed out, which may affect visibility.