Cumming, GA
Central Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: BobbyC13 Hole #18 (Taken 7/2013)

Good Course, Tough Hikes

2-4    3/7/2015   3/8/2015
Review By: SD86
This review was updated on 5/24/2015
Pros: - Multiple tees (blue, red white).
- From tee to basket, holes are challenging and for the most part fun to play.
- Variety of holes: some are open where one can "grip it and rip it", others are in the woods and demand accuracy. Elevation changes uphills and downhills, as well.
- Course and park were in good condition: grass mown, baskets in good repair.
- Practice basket with distance markers.
- Parking is very good and near first hole and practice basket.
Cons: - Signage: I had a map of the course and still would've been lost if not with a group who'd played the course before. Directions to the next hole are poorly marked (and often not marked at all), and the few painted on trees and rocks are easily missed. This is my worst complaint about the course, and it could be improved tremendously with a little effort.
- Nos. 9 and 10 are very isolated from the rest of the course and you have to know (or have a map) or you'll miss them completely.
- Long, LONG hikes between many holes. I realize this is possibly unavoidable, but it contributes to the issues of getting lost if one does not really know where one is going.
- Baskets are not very visible at all. Some bright orange or bright yellow paint along the tops would greatly improve visibility.
- Chains are not DISCatcher, and i had a couple of putts slide off the chains and to the ground. Yes, that's partly on me, but when I hit the chains and am punished, I don't like that.
- Tees: rubber tees are damaged on many holes. The footing is also not great on some of them.
- Other park users are all around and must be watched for.
- One pretty much as to start at Hole #1 and finish at #18; #9 is literally at the other end of the course and park.
Other Thoughts: I really think this course is good, challenging and fun, and would be a premiere course if some work was done on the tees and especially the signage and directions to the next tees. There is likely no way to minimize the hiking distance between holes, but that would be acceptable if the trails were much better marked.

Worth the trip.

1    3/2/2014   3/2/2014
Review By: ldtrainman
Pros: 1) Some long holes. Some short holes.
2) Made good use of the topography to get a good amount of elevation change.
3) Some open fairways and some through the trees.
4) The rubber T-pads are nice. At least they are nice when the weather is dry. I have no experience with them in wet or cold weather.
5) Some variety but I can't say each hole was unique. I played a course in Gwinnett county recently and only used 4 discs. On this one I used 8.
Cons: 1) The rubber T-pads were uneven. They need to be picked up, raked and leveled underneath, then replaced.
2) Signage for navigation from basket to the next T-pad was inconsistent and non-uniform. Sometimes there were arrows painted on rocks; sometimes arrows painted on trees (a different color than on the rocks); sometimes there were signs on trees. In very, very few cases was there a number with the arrow to assure the player that the arrows they were following led to the T-box they were hoping to go to.
3) Tags on the T-box signs telling players which of the possible basket locations was actually in use at the moment would be helpful
4) There are some places where old fence wire (or something) is on the ground and not very visible. Definitely a tripping hazard and should be cleaned up by the park.
5) The course shares the space with a mountain bike path. This can be distracting to both the riders and the disc golfers.
Other Thoughts: 1) I like to review a course the first time I play it because I believe most people reading reviews are reading them for courses they have not played.
2) It is my feeling that a good course should be idiot proof to navigate for someone who has never been there before. This course is not quite there but way ahead of many courses I've played
3) I'd play it again. It is one of my favorites in the area.
4) I get the feeling the park allows the disc golf course to be there but does little to encourage it.
5) There is a donation box near T-pad #1. If you enjoyed your day at the course, please leave a donation. From experience, I know that a good disc golf course not only requires time and effort to maintain, often by the local players, but also cost money to keep nice and make your experience a good one. That money also often comes from the local players.

Decent mix

1    1/26/2014   1/27/2014
Review By: Sersan43
Pros: Good mixture of open and wooded shots.

Lots of elevation changes, lots. Some view this as a con, but I consider it a pro if you like something different than the vanilla flat land courses.

A shallow stream running by a lot of holes gives a nice obstacle to keep in mind.
Cons: Quasi difficult to navigate, take somebody who's been there before on your first go around.

Contributing to the above statement, a lot of holes come dangerously close to each other (a few fairways are sorta the same fairway).
Other Thoughts: Not as rough of terrain as some of the NC mountain courses but definitely better than your typical flat land courses.

Central Park DG

1    12/31/2013   12/31/2013
Review By: HomerHickam
Pros: -Free
-Nice baskets
-Good mix of wooded/open holes
-Large fairways
-Beautiful streams throughout the course
Cons: -Areas around tee pads and baskets are in standing water
-Signage is a little iffy
-Spray paint everywhere
-Extremely long holes
Other Thoughts: One hole is a 490ft. par 3, and it's flat! That's just silly.
Long holes don't necessarily mean the course is good.
I think the course designer went a little harsh on the tee pad placement. If you can consistently throw 400ft, you may be able to birdie a couple holes from the tips. I suggest playing from the white tees if you can't.
This is a challenging course simply because the holes are so long.

Much improved!

1    12/30/2013   12/30/2013
Review By: hyzerfool
This review was updated on 6/3/2014
Pros: Fair fairways
Lots of elevation change
Varied shots required
Cons: Few places require making choices
Tee pads not in great shape
Other Thoughts: I like the redesigned course quite a lot better than the older versions. I haven't played here in several years and was pleasantly surprised. Consistently fair fairways with lots of elevation change made for a fun course.

Several holes I liked a lot (1, 9, 14, 16, 17) and I REALLY liked holes 3 and 18. The only hole I thought that was worse than average was #8, and that was completely fair, so could've been much worse.

It would be great to be able to put some trees in on the open places. Since the course has been there for years and it's never been done, I suspect maybe the park doesn't allow that (?), but I think holes 5, 6, 7, 8, 11, and 18 would really benefit from some strategic tree additions. Some of those holes have interesting parts, but little or no pressure or importance to drive landing locations.

My biggest issue with this course was that it did not make me make many choices. Hole 18 did it really nicely on the 2 approach options, and if it had a bit of pressure on the drive I would consider it a really excellent hole (I still liked it a lot). Hole 9 made me make a choice despite not having multiple routes, in that both a RH forehand and backhand shot had benefits, with different payoffs. The more I think about that hole, the more I like it. The more I think about it, the more I realize hole 14 made me make choices, also despite being a single fairway (and a narrow one at that).

I dislike the Chainstar baskets (with added number plates? Or are they Mach 5's?) because they're so hard to see. Course does a reasonably nice job painting some and using flags to try to improve things, but we still had trouble finding some of the baskets (Chainstars do catch perfectly well, though). On hole 7 we played to the wrong basket (then went back and played to correct one)

Specific thoughts on a few other holes:

1 - Good starting hole. A really fair fairway, a nice angle to the turn, and a flat out fun start.

2- I wish they'd take out the small tree straight ahead to give a small straight(er) line gap option. Most people wouldn't take it, but there's reward to it (straighter shot) but you have to earn it as the gap would be pretty small. Otherwise not terrible, but not wildly interesting hole.

3 - Probably my favorite hole out here, despite being a par 3 (I love par 4's and 5's). We played the right basket placement, which I like. I don't like the left one nearly as much, despite them being close together. Changing placements doesn't change the throw, it just doesn't require nearly as much skill to get the birdie.

9 - A really nice surprise. Great shape to the hole. Nice fairway. The more I think about this hole, the more I like it.

14 - An interesting hole. I don't like the right side being OB, though if that's a property line, of course nothing can be done about it. But I think it's a really nice use of this piece of land and a nice distance for this hole. I quite like it. I think I would love it if the right side fence wasn't OB. Someone mentioned gaps under the fence on the left. I didn't notice that, and if it's true they need to be filled, but that's not a fundamental problem with the hole design, simply a detail to be improved.

16 - One of the few places on the course where I feel strongly that a tree should come out is the middle tree at the first main gap. But otherwise I really like this hole. Again, no real choices, unfortunately, but a fun hole.

17 - Nice fairway, nice use of hill. I'd pull 3 or 4 small trees out short and left of the basket. Seems like it's too punitive close to the basket to a shot which is otherwise perfect (and reasonably difficult).

18 - I like the choice on the approach to the green quite a bit. The right side gap goes straight to the basket, but is tight and at an angle rewarding drives that land to the right. Would like to see a little pressure of some kind on the drive and this would be a 5/5. An excellent finishing hole.

A Work in Progress

1    10/25/2013   10/25/2013
Review By: CWSfan16
Pros: - A good mix of open holes and wooded holes
- Multiple tees
- Use of elevation throughout course
- New tee signs
- Can tell work is being done
- Good amount of benches and trashcans strewn across the course
Cons: - Rubber tee pads (many of the were ripped, torn, overgrown, small)
- Navigation (Threw to a wrong basket even with a map)
- Some holes seemed unfair (Hole 9, 10, and 16 stand out in my mind)
- Wet (The has been no rain recently and still a little wet; would hate to see after a storm)
- The baskets were tough to pick out of the trees (a little colorful paint would help out)
Other Thoughts: - I met a gentleman that was working on the course. He stated that they are planning on putting in Gold tees. Personally, I think the Blues are long enough. I would rather see the time and effort in dealing with the tee pads. I understand it take quite a bit of money to get concrete pads, but I would rather have natural pads than the rubber pads that are there now.
- I noticed that there were a set of White tee pads throughout the course. I didn't play them, but was trying to keep an eye out for them. I probably noticed roughly 10 white tees.
- I REALLY did not like hole 14. It plays along a fence, but erosion has occurred under the fence. There are too many places that a disc can skip underneath the fence into OB

Almost there

5+    8/11/2013   8/11/2013
Review By: GSquare44
Pros: Quite a few holes are wide open long holes to work on your drives.
New Signs are up on Blue Tees and New Basket Numbers make it much easier to navigate.

Cons: Rubber mats on most in lieu of concrete pads.
Grass is tall in some spots.
Water stands in some areas - so wear some waterproof shoes and/or waterproof socks.
Other Thoughts: With a bit more work and concrete pads, this course will be awesome. You can tell the FCDGO is putting in work.

Redesigned course, it's tougher and more fun.

5+    8/7/2013   8/10/2013
Review By: BobbyC13
Pros: The course was redesigned in 2013 and offers a much more well rounded disc golf course. The new Teesigns are great! You have all different types of shots here and three sets of teepads to choose from. Each hole will have 2 pin locations. This is a tougher par 57 layout and 18 holes now. Everything starts and finished in the same area by the Rec Center and practice basket! This is my home course and I love playing it every time!
Cons: There are not many now that the new teesigns are in, the baskets are numbered correctly and everything is nearly completely finished. It is a somewhat of a decent walk, but just bring water!
Other Thoughts: The FCDGO has put a lot of time into this course and it finally shows! Come play Central Park and challenge yourself to shoot at or below par from Blues or Reds!!!

Can't wait to play it a year from now. (Needs work)

2-4    7/29/2013   7/29/2013
Review By: Bornabuckeye
This review was updated on 7/31/2013
Pros: Left old #6 alone.

New layout provides a lot more variety of holes, throws, elevation, and mix.

Multiple tees allow for different caliber of players to play.

Cons: Navigating the course is dreadful - a group of locals picked me up and they also had problems locating tees & baskets and I had a map!

Tee pads are rubber mats thrown on the ground. The mats have seen a lot of wear and have begun to crack, tear, and mold the roots and rocks underneath them.

Some of the woods holes play really close to swampy areas meaning a lot of mud and water when it rains.

Other Thoughts: Played 1st loop from the blue tees - +8
2nd loop from the white tees - +2

The main problems with Central are both fixable - Tee pads & much, much better directing the players around the loop. Once these improvements are made, the reviews should be better, but at the time of my review, here are my thoughts:

Count me as one of the folks that enjoyed the old Central Park layout, that's not to say I don't like the redesign; just want to mention that I enjoyed the old layout. The redesign has changed this course completely from a bombers course to a technician's course and I found very few opportunities where I could simply cut loose. Not to say I don't enjoy some good tree love :) but I get the most enjoyment from watching the disc fly high and far, Central Park used to allow for a lot of that and the redesign has hampered that to a degree. The "style" of the course has changed greatly aside from just comparing the two actual layouts.

Design - I love the new starting holes 1-3 & miss the closing holes from the old course. While #18 on the new track is a very nice hole; getting there isn't nearly as exciting as it used to be and I personally just didn't like #17 at all. It's great that they left old #6 alone (now #11) as the approach shot into that hole maybe the most memorable shot on the course.

To some degree I just couldn't get over the feeling that the redesign was an effort to push golfers aside and away from the park. Sometimes that's a great thing, as it allows for creativity in holes and privacy. But in this instance, I felt it was a bad thing as the course is pushed along the utility lines and backwoods. Needless to say a lot of brush, thorns, and swamp to be encountered out here so I recommend you bring your hiking boots as this isn't a walk in the park anymore. Back when the course integrated more of the main park property, conditions were nicer and amenities were much closer. As a parent for example, I enjoyed checking in on my kids & wife at the park while playing around them or being able to hit the bathroom or benches.

There were some very long treks to be made to get from basket to the next tee - up and over hills and through or around brush and I think some additional benches would go a long way. (One of the "heavier" fellas in the group I played with was having a very difficult time making the loop) I'd never recommend designing a course around the walk, but when your design is like this I think it's admirable to pay extra attention to issues such as this so more people can play - It's hot out there lol, last thing we need is someone passing out. Some cases where getting to the next tee put the player in landing zones of other holes - Not a prevalent problem, but something to be mindful of for sure on a busy day.

While I liked #14 (birdied it twice!), I agree with Daniel's review that moving the pad up and the basket back would be a better solution. If I had a suggestion - moving #5 basket from the retention pond back towards the creek (possibly over) and closer to #6's tee for a par 4 I think it would add another shot similar to #11 or #18 and aid in players navigating the course better.

Overall - I think I'm bittersweet on the redesign - there are drawbacks and bonuses and there is ample room for growth with the new layout as it begins to mold and adapt. It's most definitely a course capable of challenging any player by making the player throw shots uphill, downhill in addition to left and right. But at the same time, the navigation issues and tee pad problems are standouts when being compared to the other courses in town which is why I ultimately gave the course a 3. I will say that I look forward to reevaluating my review in the future as this "new course" begins improves.

Not Yet

1    7/6/2013   7/6/2013
Review By: St0rmbringer
Pros: Design is ambitious and will eventually yield a quality course. Loved #11! Great pin placement!
Cons: 1 I realize this course is a brand new course
2 I did read dandaman's review before playing
3 Noah is building a new boat due to the amount of rain that the South has received the past few weeks.

There is a lot of undergrowth that could be trimmed.
The signage issue was politely understated by dandaman in my opinion. Getting from one basket yo the next tee was an adventure. (#8 to #9 and #15 to #16--no visible signage from the basket!)
Hole 18 was ridiculously wet. To the left was a fenced-in swamp and to the right was wetland 2" deep in dark water.
I've never been a Marine sniper; seeing the gray metal baskets and chains in the shadows of the woods was a challenge--some bright paint on the baskets please...or better flags?
Other Thoughts: I'm giving this course a 2 right now. I'll try it again in the Fall. I didn't lose a disc. I was +5 for the day. Perhaps I'm spoiled by the courses in the Charlotte area, but this course doesn't seem to be of the same caliber yet.