Cumming, GA
Central Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: BobbyC13 Hole #1 (Taken 7/2013)
3 / 250ft.   -- / --   3 / 315ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #1 Blue Tee

Worth the trip.

1    3/2/2014   3/2/2014
Review By: ldtrainman
Pros: 1) Some long holes. Some short holes.
2) Made good use of the topography to get a good amount of elevation change.
3) Some open fairways and some through the trees.
4) The rubber T-pads are nice. At least they are nice when the weather is dry. I have no experience with them in wet or cold weather.
5) Some variety but I can't say each hole was unique. I played a course in Gwinnett county recently and only used 4 discs. On this one I used 8.
Cons: 1) The rubber T-pads were uneven. They need to be picked up, raked and leveled underneath, then replaced.
2) Signage for navigation from basket to the next T-pad was inconsistent and non-uniform. Sometimes there were arrows painted on rocks; sometimes arrows painted on trees (a different color than on the rocks); sometimes there were signs on trees. In very, very few cases was there a number with the arrow to assure the player that the arrows they were following led to the T-box they were hoping to go to.
3) Tags on the T-box signs telling players which of the possible basket locations was actually in use at the moment would be helpful
4) There are some places where old fence wire (or something) is on the ground and not very visible. Definitely a tripping hazard and should be cleaned up by the park.
5) The course shares the space with a mountain bike path. This can be distracting to both the riders and the disc golfers.
Other Thoughts: 1) I like to review a course the first time I play it because I believe most people reading reviews are reading them for courses they have not played.
2) It is my feeling that a good course should be idiot proof to navigate for someone who has never been there before. This course is not quite there but way ahead of many courses I've played
3) I'd play it again. It is one of my favorites in the area.
4) I get the feeling the park allows the disc golf course to be there but does little to encourage it.
5) There is a donation box near T-pad #1. If you enjoyed your day at the course, please leave a donation. From experience, I know that a good disc golf course not only requires time and effort to maintain, often by the local players, but also cost money to keep nice and make your experience a good one. That money also often comes from the local players.

Much improved!

1    12/30/2013   12/30/2013
Review By: hyzerfool
This review was updated on 6/3/2014
Pros: Fair fairways
Lots of elevation change
Varied shots required
Cons: Few places require making choices
Tee pads not in great shape
Other Thoughts: I like the redesigned course quite a lot better than the older versions. I haven't played here in several years and was pleasantly surprised. Consistently fair fairways with lots of elevation change made for a fun course.

Several holes I liked a lot (1, 9, 14, 16, 17) and I REALLY liked holes 3 and 18. The only hole I thought that was worse than average was #8, and that was completely fair, so could've been much worse.

It would be great to be able to put some trees in on the open places. Since the course has been there for years and it's never been done, I suspect maybe the park doesn't allow that (?), but I think holes 5, 6, 7, 8, 11, and 18 would really benefit from some strategic tree additions. Some of those holes have interesting parts, but little or no pressure or importance to drive landing locations.

My biggest issue with this course was that it did not make me make many choices. Hole 18 did it really nicely on the 2 approach options, and if it had a bit of pressure on the drive I would consider it a really excellent hole (I still liked it a lot). Hole 9 made me make a choice despite not having multiple routes, in that both a RH forehand and backhand shot had benefits, with different payoffs. The more I think about that hole, the more I like it. The more I think about it, the more I realize hole 14 made me make choices, also despite being a single fairway (and a narrow one at that).

I dislike the Chainstar baskets (with added number plates? Or are they Mach 5's?) because they're so hard to see. Course does a reasonably nice job painting some and using flags to try to improve things, but we still had trouble finding some of the baskets (Chainstars do catch perfectly well, though). On hole 7 we played to the wrong basket (then went back and played to correct one)

Specific thoughts on a few other holes:

1 - Good starting hole. A really fair fairway, a nice angle to the turn, and a flat out fun start.

2- I wish they'd take out the small tree straight ahead to give a small straight(er) line gap option. Most people wouldn't take it, but there's reward to it (straighter shot) but you have to earn it as the gap would be pretty small. Otherwise not terrible, but not wildly interesting hole.

3 - Probably my favorite hole out here, despite being a par 3 (I love par 4's and 5's). We played the right basket placement, which I like. I don't like the left one nearly as much, despite them being close together. Changing placements doesn't change the throw, it just doesn't require nearly as much skill to get the birdie.

9 - A really nice surprise. Great shape to the hole. Nice fairway. The more I think about this hole, the more I like it.

14 - An interesting hole. I don't like the right side being OB, though if that's a property line, of course nothing can be done about it. But I think it's a really nice use of this piece of land and a nice distance for this hole. I quite like it. I think I would love it if the right side fence wasn't OB. Someone mentioned gaps under the fence on the left. I didn't notice that, and if it's true they need to be filled, but that's not a fundamental problem with the hole design, simply a detail to be improved.

16 - One of the few places on the course where I feel strongly that a tree should come out is the middle tree at the first main gap. But otherwise I really like this hole. Again, no real choices, unfortunately, but a fun hole.

17 - Nice fairway, nice use of hill. I'd pull 3 or 4 small trees out short and left of the basket. Seems like it's too punitive close to the basket to a shot which is otherwise perfect (and reasonably difficult).

18 - I like the choice on the approach to the green quite a bit. The right side gap goes straight to the basket, but is tight and at an angle rewarding drives that land to the right. Would like to see a little pressure of some kind on the drive and this would be a 5/5. An excellent finishing hole.

Almost there

5+    8/11/2013   8/11/2013
Review By: GSquare44
Pros: Quite a few holes are wide open long holes to work on your drives.
New Signs are up on Blue Tees and New Basket Numbers make it much easier to navigate.

Cons: Rubber mats on most in lieu of concrete pads.
Grass is tall in some spots.
Water stands in some areas - so wear some waterproof shoes and/or waterproof socks.
Other Thoughts: With a bit more work and concrete pads, this course will be awesome. You can tell the FCDGO is putting in work.