Great course for players of all skill levels
1 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: * Great design. 1-9 and 10-18 both circle back to the parking lot, so you can play the front or back depending on the crowd.
* Discs for sale on site. Tom is a very knowledgable and fair disc golf salesman. Can usually find a good deal from him. He's friendly, and sometimes has snacks too, so that helps when it's hot out.
* Well manicured course.
* Concrete tee boxes on all holes.
* Great signage and easy to follow course.
* Decent mix of open/tight shots. A great course to bring someone who is interested in the game, but hasn't really played.
* Multiple baskets for each hole.
Cons: * Regular pedesterians walking through the park can interfere with your shots, and possibly get hit with a disc.
* Extra holes on the back 9 are lacking proper signage.
* Most holes are a bit too easy, but very enjoyable nonetheless.
* Can get crowded on a beautiful day.
* Not necessarily in the best part of town, but there is usually always fellow players in the lot to watch after your car.
Other Thoughts: This is probably my favorite course, though I am a little biased. It's in my hometown, so when I return its usually playing and catching up with old friends. Plus, we usually go out to a local bar/restaurant close by (lots to chose from) and always have a good time.
Hole 1 is a great start and sets the tone for the rest of the course.
A really great course and highly recommended for anyone in the metro Birmingham area or just passing through. It's worth playing.
1 of 1 people found this review helpful.
4 Helpful / 1 Not
Beautiful course in urban park
Pros: - Nice tee signs at every hole that show each pin position and where the next tee is located
- Multiple pin placements
- New baskets were added this past spring, so most holes have 2 basket options
- Huge variety of shots including easy to difficult, short to long, left to right, etc.
- Good use of elevation changes
- Course pro at park almost every day
- Parking lot is between front 9 and back 15
- Most of the tee pads are in great condition
- Benches on every hole, sometimes multiple benches on a single hole
- Weekly league rounds on Wednesday evenings
- Great local club (Disc Golf Birmingham) that takes care of the course and runs events
- Big course map on back of bulletin board at hole 1
- Dog friendly
Cons: - Needs concrete tee pads on back 6 (supposedly in the works to happen soon)
- Occasional wait for joggers on walking paths
Other Thoughts: It's hard to find a course that is more fun to play than g-dub. The course is mostly open with big, mature trees to shoot around. Back 6 holes are slightly wooded, but not too tight.
4 of 5 people found this review helpful.
GW just keeps getting better with age
5 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: Hey, I will admit bias up front as this is the course I learned on. It will always be 'Home' in my mind.
Recent improvements, from benches, signage, course map, etc have served to make this course a constant 'must play' for both locals and visitors.
Cons: -occasional panhandlers and begging, be prepared
-walking paths throughout course (some delays in play)
-park gets INCREDIBLY heavy use by community
Other Thoughts: Great place to hang out, very diverse crowd and usually Tom Monroe (PDGA #33, World Champ) is selling new & used plastic from his white van in case you need a disc.
5 of 5 people found this review helpful.
6 Helpful / 0 Not
Not much more to add
Pros: - Excellent combination of throwing challenges.
- Beautiful course with lots of large ancient oaks, mulberries, dogwoods and willows. Spring fed creeks come into play on both the front and back. The spring coming from the large stone culvert near #4's basket has a very good flavor and is always cold.
- Great elevation change. Plenty of hills.
- Bow-tie design is convenient.
- Local golfer community is strong. Always players around and the locals are extremely friendly and kind.
- Clean, no garbage at all, not even butts. Seemed like every smoker making the turn would empty their pockets of spent butts into the trash. Thanks y'all!
- 3 pin placements for every hole keeps the course fresh
- Benches on every hole
- 3 sets of bathrooms and water fountains. Concessions available at the tennis center and the softball fields. 2 gas stations across the street from C's pad in case you run out of provisions.
- Very well maintained, lots of work has gone into George Ward and it shows
Cons: - Tee pad signs need replacing (in the works from what I've been told)
- Extra 6 holes off of #14 are dirt or carpet pads (once again in the works)
Other Thoughts: The locals care a great deal for this old course and for obvious reasons. It's an extremely well maintained course with beautiful scenery, challenging holes, good company and Tom Monroe selling discs and telling tales of disc golf lore in the lot... what more could you ask for?
6 of 6 people found this review helpful.
1 Helpful / 5 Not
Great designed course!
Pros: Great course hole designing! Multiple holes. Ace tee pad. Great atmosphere! Well maintained park! Go play this course,, its worth it! Holes are easy to find. A-F extra holes after ur 18!
Cons: Have to wait to civilians to walk before u tee off. A-F holes dont have good hole directions.
Other Thoughts: Great course to play. one of my favorites yet!
1 of 6 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.