Birmingham, AL
George Ward Park Share
Uploaded By: twisted Hole #17 (Taken 8/2011)

1 2 3 4 5 Next >
 Excellent Course

1    3/27/2009   4/3/2009
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: The course at George Ward Park has had a great deal of work put into it. I think that the landscaping around the course gives it a country club feel. There is an informative kiosk beside hole 1. The tiered stairs down to the tee pad at hole 1 are very well groomed and start your round off with an interesting ambience. As for the course itself, all baskets and tees are in excellent shape. The design is solid and elevation and doglegs are used well. It is not the most difficult course I have ever played, but I still found it to be challenging.
Cons: The 6 extra holes need maturing. There are no tee pads there yet. There are also very few dirctional signs to follow to locate the next tee. Since this was only for the new 6, I didn't let it factor a great deal into my rating. I am sure that eventually these will be better. We were from out of town...and the park was busy...but no one else ventured onto these 6 holes. All the locals we saw skipped them.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed this course. It was definitely the best course we played in Alabama on this trip. I have played UAH as well and i believe this course is on par with it. Not from the difficulty standpoint, but I found George Ward to be much more enjoyable.

While I am not sure of the number, my favorite hole is the sweeping hyzer that plays downhill and over the large trench. Since it had rained so much that week, there was quite a river flowing through it. I just really loved that shot. I also enjoyed hole 1 and the basket location. (in a group of rocks) I am sure they move the baskets occasionally but I thought it was a very neat location. Geaorge Ward Park is a great stop for anyone passing through. There are a few other courses in the Birmingham area, but in my humble opinion, George Ward is the cream of the crop. The locals were extremely friendly and even gave us directions to our next stop. Many were just hanging out in the parking lot, just talking to each other. They must have a very solid local club.

To close the review, The course design, groundskeeping, and terrain make this an excellent course. The friendly people are the icing on the cake.

fun and great atmosphere

2-4    6/28/2008   12/20/2008
Review By: aceman
Pros: I liked the variety of terrain some flat some elevation mixed with wooded and semi open.water hazard adds to the course,it was truly fun to play
Cons: some holes were harder to find and a bit confusing with multiple pin placements with the signs not changed.
Other Thoughts: anytime I am in the area I would play it again,it has a great atmosphere and degree of diffuculty which is worth going back for.

Fun and a Great Atmosphere

1    5/26/2007   10/25/2008
Review By: lxdawg25
Pros: The People, Very Challenging, good layout, lots of different hole options, well maintained, very nice scenery
Cons: Almost too challenging, some of the mando's seemed unnecessary
Other Thoughts: I played this course with a few friends one being a local while passing through it was a great time everybody was friendly and willing to chat for a bit as well as talk to trash cross holes with other groups. It was definitly a fun course even though my score didn't reflect it

5+    8/9/2008   10/8/2008
Review By: bazkitcase5
Pros: The original 18 holes have good concrete tee pads with 3 pin placements for every hole. They also have 6 more holes, but they are not as developed at this time. With the many pin placements, decent elevation change, and the beauty of the park, this is a great course that is fun to play for players of all skill levels. From what I can tell, they keep the positions mixed most of the time, so that the course is never too easy, but also never too difficult for casual players, as well as keeping a great mixture on the shot variety throughout the course. The park seems to be well taken care of, with active casual players who are there at all times of the day. The course does loop back to the front at the half way point.
Cons: As already mentioned the 6 new holes could use concrete tees, to further compliment the course, particularly come tournament time. The long pins help but the course could use some longer shots to challenge the pros.
Other Thoughts: I love playing this course, but it is fairly open. Even in the longs, the challenge is generally to try and get the birdie on most every hole for higher level players. With that said, as a whole, the design is excellent considering the amount of elevation and trees they have to work with.

The local club is very active and is always making improvements and running lots of tournaments at this course. As mentioned, Tom Monroe is almost always at the course selling discs and hanging out with players.

lot of fun

7/18/2008   7/19/2008
Review By: WillA
Pros: Well manicured with a decent amount of elevation change. Multiple pin positions. Two or three legitmate ace runs.
Cons: Probably not tough enough to challenge pros or advanced players.
Other Thoughts: Mainly open with strategically placed trees.

2/23/2008   2/24/2008
Review By: The Drake
Pros: A very fair course with a great mix off the tee pad on every hole. Sparse trees with the 18 orignal holes; very wooded extra 6 holes. Multiple pin placements on nearly every hole (3 on most, 4 on a few) providing for great variability with each round. Great elevation providing for some nervy putts and unlucky roll aways (I guess a con for some ;-)) There are some blue tees on a few of the holes which aren't clearly marked (natural pads) but provide for an extra challenge on many holes.
Cons: Not very challenging for pro players. Not a pitch and putt course by any means but there's not a lot of distance. Three holes have placements beyond 400 ft, every other hole is very easily reachable from the tee. Its hard to get into trouble on the course due to a lack of trees and OB. The extra six are natural tees which can make for an awkward transition during tournament play.
Other Thoughts: This is my home course and its where I learned the game. Its a great course for me to bring my friends out and introduce them to the game. The local club (DGB) is very active and making lots of improvements around the course. Course pro Tom Monroe sells discs out of his van in the parking lot and is out there almost everday. If you're in the area this is definately a course worth stopping by and playing.

Love It!

2/24/2008   2/24/2008
Review By: Scraps
Pros: Beautiful mix of open and wooded holes. The extra 6 are particularly wooded. Nice changes in elevation, as well. Very well maintained by both the city and the local club, Disc Golf Birmingham (DGB).
Cons: Located near some busy roads and sometimes has interference from the nearby softball fields and pavilion. Also experiences some late night traffic customary of a city park.
Other Thoughts: I may be biased as this is my home course, but this is definitely one of the top courses in Alabama. A beautiful, beautiful course. I love it!

11/10/2007   11/10/2007
Review By: jfurr
Pros: Very enjoyable course with generally open fairways and moderate elevation changes. Water hazards such as a small stream come into play on a few holes. Easy to access in the middle of Birmingham.
Cons: Most of the holes relatively easy to par. I guess this could be considered a "pro" for the course depending on the way you look at it.

1 2 3 4 5 Next >