Birmingham, AL
George Ward Park Share
Uploaded By: aussieinva Hole #10 (Taken 9/2012)

Solid Course

5+    6/25/2012   7/6/2012
Review By: bpartrid
Pros: *Well taken care of
*Pin positions changed daily
*Course is fair but challenging
*Can use all your shots in a round
*Tom to buy discs from in the parking lot
*Front 9 and back 9 holes separated perfectly
Cons: *Some holes can play extremely long
*Can get crowded
Other Thoughts: This is my Home course, and a great one to learn on

Solid course with good elevation

5+    7/21/2011   6/21/2012
Review By: knightmare0101
Pros: Will force you to take different shots off the tee, including multiple high to low tee shots. Tom sells discs in the parking lot and is willing to give advice.
Cons: Park is not in the best area of town, but I never had any safety problems.

Great Course

1    5/28/2012   5/29/2012
Review By: flyingdisc
Pros: -Beautiful Park
-Nice layout of course
-Nice descriptive tee pad signs
-Tee pads at almost every hole
Cons: -Some baskets either need to be replaced or need some attention
-Need tee pads in some areas
-Take along maps would be great
Other Thoughts: Been playing for about a year and this was my first time to play this park. I really enjoyed the park and the layout of the tees. Beautiful park with a mixture of shots. Really nice signs at each hole along with good tee pads for holes in the park. The day we played the course was set up with the baskets located in the 'A' position. There are three different pin positioins that each hole can choose to place a basket. Park course does include a walking park as you can see by the pictures, but we had no real delays with walkers. Benches at almost every tee pad. Very well maintained park, when we went hardly anyone even there, it is was Memorial Day. Layout was fairly easy with hole 13 taking a moment to find. The extra holes after 14 are pretty much all in the woods which makes the game more interesting. Beware of losing your disc in the leaves that cover that area. Once you 'get out of the woods' you are brought back to the tee pad for hole 15 which brings you right back into the park area. If you are in the area I highly recommend playing. Started at around 9 a.m. I believe it took us about two hours to play all 24 holes.

Fun times

5+    3/5/2012   4/10/2012
Review By: livinitupzzz
Pros: 1. With one notable exception (see below) it's a pretty easy course to navigate.
2. It's a well balanced course. Beginners won't be so frustrated that it's too hard and Experienced players won't be frustrated that there is no challenge.
3. It's almost always very well maintained. There is a grass cutting crew whose full time job is to keep this park cut.
4. As has been mentioned, being able to go buy your car half way through really pays off sometimes. Also the ease of playing either 9 first helps when the course is busy.
5. Course pro to buy disc and to give info. He's almost always there.
6. Terrain is varied but it's not so hilly that it's all you can think about.
Cons: 1. I understand that signage is being worked on but it needs it badly WITH directions to the next tee box.
2. Course is fairly easy to navigate except for a few transitions (notably holes 11-13 get very confusing)
3. Really enjoy the length now but as a beginner it was just a little long. I wish they would bump a couple holes to par 4 status. There are a few holes (like 5, 7 and 14) that really don't belong as a par 3 unless your playing in a pro tournament. You can make up some ground on those with some of the wooded holes but only if your on line for the day.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoy GW park. I have to admit I have a personal affinity and prefer Civitan (when the grass is cut) but that's not to take away from George Ward. I play here fairly regularly and really enjoy it. I still consider myself a beginner. I've been playing roughly 3 years and probably have played an average of twice a month. (sometimes more and sometimes less)

GW just keeps getting better with age

5+    2/4/2012   2/6/2012
Review By: Jebb
Pros: Hey, I will admit bias up front as this is the course I learned on. It will always be 'Home' in my mind.

Recent improvements, from benches, signage, course map, etc have served to make this course a constant 'must play' for both locals and visitors.
Cons: -occasional panhandlers and begging, be prepared
-walking paths throughout course (some delays in play)
-park gets INCREDIBLY heavy use by community
Other Thoughts: Great place to hang out, very diverse crowd and usually Tom Monroe (PDGA #33, World Champ) is selling new & used plastic from his white van in case you need a disc.

Fun at George Ward

5+    2/6/2012   2/6/2012
Review By: tcjohnst
Pros: This is a very enjoyable course for starters as well as experienced players

- Course is well maintained and clean
- Three pin sets (giving variety)
- 6 more extra holes between hole 14 and 15
- Good use of the terrain
- New tee signs and benches at each hole
- Bulletin board with announcements, scorecards, and map of the course
- A variety of play
- A separate pin for practicing putting before playing the course
Cons: - For newcomers it can be confusing to find the next hole, so clear directions would be nice
- It looks like it is in a bad neighborhood (but don't let looks be deceiving)
- not for little children as some of the courses are near roads (though if you do bring children there are two playgrounds nearby)
Other Thoughts: I have played this course over 20 times and I have never gotten tired of playing this course. I know the local pro and he takes pride into maintaining the course. There are always tournaments happening.

Classic Course

5+    8/12/2011   1/12/2012
Review By: frogtown_corey
Pros: Solid and well seasoned course. With plenty of challanging shots but not too difficult for beginers. This course really makes you play harder. The bonus letter holes in the woods make for an interesting game. Benches, signs, trash cans, score cards and all that provided.
Cons: Can be a B***h to find if youre not familiar with the neighborhood. The park is shared by alot of non disc-golf activity: dog walkers, picknickers, so always be mindful of where youre throwing here.
Other Thoughts: If you live in Alabama you must play here at least once. Historic disc golf course!!

1    12/9/2011   12/9/2011
Review By: mattdabbs
Pros: Being from Florida, I loved the elevation changes. It isn't often that I get to throw up and down hills. I loved the layout. It was very friendly to get you back to your car half way through the round. The pads were generous. Pin placements were excellent and I like that there were multiple pin options on many of the holes. A couple of exceptions where it was hard to tell which pin you were throwing at. I love how this course tests your accuracy but also gives you a few chances to air it out a bit. I also like the fact that it didn't really have any water. I just hate losing discs. Beautiful piece of land and convenient to I-65. Friendly locals who were very helpful is always a plus as was the big map by the parking lot.
Cons: Needs new signs. It got confusing where the next pad was and it was confusing at times as to which pin you were throwing at. One time through is enough to figure it out but it was confusing the first time around. Other than that, I can't really think of anything that could be improved. Great course.
Other Thoughts: I hope to play this course again!

Needs a Little TLC, but a Great Course

1    7/29/2011   8/2/2011
Review By: Biggzipp
Pros: Great Course in the Heart of Birmingham. It's really well designed, and has 6 extra holes for a total of 24 holes of disc golf. Offers a variety of challenges and makes really good use of the terrain. Seemed to have a local following of golfers, there was even a local pro there hanging out in the park offering advice, and selling discs out of his van. Good tees and good baskets.
Cons: Was a little run down. Needs new tee signage on certain holes, and better signage in the park, so that you know where to start (we wandered a bit before figuring it out). It's kind of in the ghetto (not that I care, but some might). It needed mowing when we were there.
Other Thoughts: Really enjoyable course with a great design. It's rather open, but makes good use of terrain and trees. This course will continue to challenge players of all levels, but it's not outlandishly hard. I'll definitely visit it again if I'm in Birmingham.

Kept up like a ball course

1    7/9/2011   7/9/2011
Review By: sdervan
Pros: Private Location located in the city.
VERY CLEAN-when i drove up, the course pro was blowing leaves out of the parking lot. he noticed that i was new and was going to ask a few guys to show me around. he then told me the layout.
Elevation changes-there were various holes that shot up hill and down and it caused me to really think about the proper disc and lines to hit.
Beautiful park, mature trees, layout nicely.
Locals were very friendly.
Baskets were in good shape
Cons: Signage was VERY worn out (course pro told me they were being replaced.)
other than that, it was a great course for the land provided.
Other Thoughts: if you're close, stop by throw a few