Battle Creek, MI
Leila Arboretum Share
Uploaded By: Jazzbones Hole #1 (Taken 5/2013)
3 / 405ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Time will tell/Me VS Mother Nature

1    5/21/2013   5/21/2013
Review By: discinboogs
Pros: I love the next level of difficulty. I had a lot of good holes but the lack of course knowledge is what killed me. I had some sick putts having the confidence of the VORTEX by Arroyo. Difficulty factor a plus for me and I got that on almost every hole.
The best scenery I've seen in the KZoo/BC area to date.
If I have all day this is where I will play.
Cons: Next tee was the biggest problem I had.The fairways need brush/stumps removed (volunteer work of course) Couple uphill tees like 15 could be moved to the other side of the landscaping.
The natural tees in the grass will turn to dust if this gets a lot of play.
Mosquitos will carry you off the course if you let them.
Some people will say there is no line on some holes.
Other Thoughts: Im not a thousand rated golfer but I would say 60-66 is good any day. This course will punish you if you try to squeeze off too much on some of the holes. If you like very difficult disc golf you will love this course when it has signs. The map will help the experienced around the course for their first time. Send spotters because as of right now there is a lot of brush you could lose your disc in, and because the holes are mostly blind.
I had a lot of fun throwing my shots but not finding where I was supposed to throw them (for my first time here). Gorgeous property will be very attractive to everyone but brutal to the inexperienced disc golfer. Have fun don't litter.

a BEAST of a course with nowhere to go but up!!

1    5/9/2013   5/9/2013
Review By: apdrvya
Pros:
Aesthetic-- plays through a relatively scenic tree preserve (arboretum). area is NOT disc golf exclusive at all times and plays over several pathways and roads. please dear god be careful

Baskets--Arroyo Vortex-- very catchy. this is my first time using these and they were very good baskets. I would recommend adding tall flags to the baskets at some point to increase visibility.

Routing/nav- not as bad as I excpected, I posted an updated map (I had got one from one of the designers) to help with navigation

Risk v Reward-- this course absolutely demands accuracy. fairways are tight and winding. Rough is SUPER rough and will punish errant throws.

Pucker factor-- I said "dear god," more times on this course than any other course I've ever played. This is truly EPIC woods disc golf.

signature hole(s)-- #11 has to be the signature hold here. plays downhill, across a "sink" and up a hill in a grove of pines. however, plays across two pathways so be careful. #5 is also a 800+ ft monster!.

Hugeness- this course is an absolute monster and plays far longer than it seems. the holes seem to keep going for ever before a basket is there.
Cons:
lack of signage- in talking with one of the head people, signage will hopefully be in in a couple weeks. for the time being, pads are marked with orange flags or just rubber mats... I tried to number the flags and mats to make it easier to know what hole is what. Next tee signs would also be helpful

Teepads-- I'm sure tee pads will eventually go in.. for now the natural pads are a little better than the rubber mats as the rubber mats are lumpy in places

Uncontrollables-- The bugs here are rediculous. be sure to bring bug spray!! or face the wraith of skeeters (get it?)

Last Point-- I like to be able to see the basket from the tee most of the time but I think that this only happens on one tee (#15). kind of makes you question where the hell you are actually throwing... Defined fairways will happen with time.
Other Thoughts: This is my 100th course I've played... It did not disappoint and I will be back to check out some of the upgrades!