Battle Creek, MI
Leila Arboretum Share
Uploaded By: Jazzbones Hole #18 (Taken 5/2013)
4 / 455ft.   4 / 455ft.   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Welp, it has tee markers now.

1    4/7/2014   4/8/2014
Review By: sgamerp
Pros: -Baskets - I think all but one or two had the vortex baskets and this may be the first time i have putted on these.

- Risk Vs Reward - this is one of those courses where throwing a mid safe and short may be better then bombing a driver.

-Tee pads - Nice long cement tee pads.

-Elevation - this course is a beast when it comes to elevation, it was my 5th course of the day, so my legs were tired, but it was a monster. Bring water.

Cons: - No Drinking - While this shouldn't be a con, the biggest con is that so many people were leaving there beer bottles on the course. This could be an issue with the trash cans as there only seemed to be 1 and it was where I think 8 or 9 meets 17.

- No benches - the park itself has a few but they are randomly not really accessable, for this course it would be nice to have a bench to sit on here or there.

-Tee Signs - (this is super nit picky, but I don't think I could mention it as a Pro as it bugged me a lot) They have em now, I was not really a fan as a lot of the holes seem to be over done and a bit dramatic,(for the lines) which as most of the course is blind it makes it hard to figure things out without walking forward.

-Condition - When I was there hole 1 and 4 or 5 seemed had huge branches down and made the fairways not as playable. It seemed the course took a huge beating this winter.

Fairways - I am all for wooded disc golf, but a few of the holes seemed crazy wooded. it may of been because of the conditions at the time.
Other Thoughts: This was one of those courses that seemed so good, and up there in pro caliber. I am not sure if when i played the course took a bad beating or what, because there was a lot of broken branches and brush all over.

If this seems to be getting better please let me know, I will most likely come back in the summer to check it out again and maybe change up my review depending.

Be prepared

2-4    5/18/2013   7/1/2013
Review By: newhunter
Pros: The set up is challenging yet enjoyable. Love the long drives.
Cons: This course seriously needs tee markers. There is nothing to indicate as to which way to go to get to the next tee from the current basket. Many of the stumps are still 4-6 inches sticking out of the ground, they really need to be ground down. SERIOUS hazard!!!!
Other Thoughts: The Leila Arboretum course will be one of the absolute best courses in southern Michigan once the tees and baskets get marked to give direction as to where to go from one spot to another.

Time will tell/Me VS Mother Nature

1    5/21/2013   5/21/2013
Review By: discinboogs
Pros: I love the next level of difficulty. I had a lot of good holes but the lack of course knowledge is what killed me. I had some sick putts having the confidence of the VORTEX by Arroyo. Difficulty factor a plus for me and I got that on almost every hole.
The best scenery I've seen in the KZoo/BC area to date.
If I have all day this is where I will play.
Cons: Next tee was the biggest problem I had.The fairways need brush/stumps removed (volunteer work of course) Couple uphill tees like 15 could be moved to the other side of the landscaping.
The natural tees in the grass will turn to dust if this gets a lot of play.
Mosquitos will carry you off the course if you let them.
Some people will say there is no line on some holes.
Other Thoughts: Im not a thousand rated golfer but I would say 60-66 is good any day. This course will punish you if you try to squeeze off too much on some of the holes. If you like very difficult disc golf you will love this course when it has signs. The map will help the experienced around the course for their first time. Send spotters because as of right now there is a lot of brush you could lose your disc in, and because the holes are mostly blind.
I had a lot of fun throwing my shots but not finding where I was supposed to throw them (for my first time here). Gorgeous property will be very attractive to everyone but brutal to the inexperienced disc golfer. Have fun don't litter.

Diamond in the Deep Rough

1    5/12/2013   5/12/2013
Review By: loosh7
Pros: Variety of elevations and tight woods to open field shots. Great scenic course played through a nature preserve. Still very raw but adds to the fun and adventure of playing a new course. Very fun and challenging although not very beginner friendly. The arboretum is gorgeous and covered with multi-colored flowering trees and bushes and several small ponds. Hole #11 was my personal favorite giving the most open and elevated view as well as one of few wide open holes to just let it rip!! (and you have to cuz she's a long one!)

Nice brand spanking new disc golf baskets

Looking forward to playing a second round now that i've figured the layout of the course and have a better idea of where to aim and what to avoid!
Cons: There is only one hole which we were able to see the basket from the tee pad. This course is a monsterrr!! Time lost spent walking halfway down "fairways" to find the basket was a setback but will improve greatly with more foot traffic. Some holes didn't have even so much as a foot path that was discernible. Once the pad's are all installed and as i said before more people play the course the navigation will improve immensely.

The length of the course and tightness of some heavily wooded holes makes this a very challenging course. Many holes have no clear path and can make it frustrating. Not being able to see the baskets until one often even two lengthy shots seems to make the holes last forever. I found myself never putting as i'd be so far away I ended up next to the pin on a 3rd/4th heave more often than not. The 800+ ft. monster hole 5 is just mean as it happens to be the one of 2 holes that incorporate the water while taking 2 full chucks to catch a glimpse of the shining metal!

Other Thoughts: Overall I thoroughly enjoyed this course and look forward to more grooming and playing a round with navigation under control. The distance and the tight fairways are fun and challenging as well as unique. I applaud the creator(s) for pushing the envelope and making an awesome new course.
I hope to play this course again soon and throughout the summer and will update as the course does!

Bring your hiking boots and distance drivers!!

a BEAST of a course with nowhere to go but up!!

1    5/9/2013   5/9/2013
Review By: apdrvya
Pros:
Aesthetic-- plays through a relatively scenic tree preserve (arboretum). area is NOT disc golf exclusive at all times and plays over several pathways and roads. please dear god be careful

Baskets--Arroyo Vortex-- very catchy. this is my first time using these and they were very good baskets. I would recommend adding tall flags to the baskets at some point to increase visibility.

Routing/nav- not as bad as I excpected, I posted an updated map (I had got one from one of the designers) to help with navigation

Risk v Reward-- this course absolutely demands accuracy. fairways are tight and winding. Rough is SUPER rough and will punish errant throws.

Pucker factor-- I said "dear god," more times on this course than any other course I've ever played. This is truly EPIC woods disc golf.

signature hole(s)-- #11 has to be the signature hold here. plays downhill, across a "sink" and up a hill in a grove of pines. however, plays across two pathways so be careful. #5 is also a 800+ ft monster!.

Hugeness- this course is an absolute monster and plays far longer than it seems. the holes seem to keep going for ever before a basket is there.
Cons:
lack of signage- in talking with one of the head people, signage will hopefully be in in a couple weeks. for the time being, pads are marked with orange flags or just rubber mats... I tried to number the flags and mats to make it easier to know what hole is what. Next tee signs would also be helpful

Teepads-- I'm sure tee pads will eventually go in.. for now the natural pads are a little better than the rubber mats as the rubber mats are lumpy in places

Uncontrollables-- The bugs here are rediculous. be sure to bring bug spray!! or face the wraith of skeeters (get it?)

Last Point-- I like to be able to see the basket from the tee most of the time but I think that this only happens on one tee (#15). kind of makes you question where the hell you are actually throwing... Defined fairways will happen with time.
Other Thoughts: This is my 100th course I've played... It did not disappoint and I will be back to check out some of the upgrades!