Awendaw, SC
Sewee Outpost Share
Uploaded By: Apsey Hole #15 (Taken 5/2014)

Woo Pig!

2-4    6/16/2015   6/19/2015
Review By: heelboycraig
Pros: Sewee Outpost is a nice addition to the Lowcounty disc golf scene. This is a solid course, so be sure to make a drive to Charleston's outskirts to play the Outpost!
- Course has a solid, steady flow to it. If you can throw straight and accurate, you will be seeing plenty of birdie putts. If not, you'll be dealing with some heavy rough on many of the holes.
- The course is almost exclusively an accuracy over distance layout. Average hole length is 'only' 250 feet, with the longest hole at 352 feet. To its credit, due to some tight fairways, this course feels longer than it plays.
- To compensate for a lack of length and elevation, course makes up with lots of wooded holes, lots of doglegs and tight fairways. Playing two rounds on my visit here, I didn't get a feel of any holes being unfair or poorly designed. Solid design throughout.
- Some of the hardest basket placements were on the shorter holes. The back-to-back layout of holes #6 & 7 might be one of the best short-hole combos I've seen on any course. Both holes are less than 200 feet (181 & 192 respectively), with both requiring solid tee shots. #6 is a sharp dogleg left, with a high sweeping shot probably being one of your better tee options. #7 can be a simple par if you simply throw straight. If you're trying for the birdie, you'll need to find a way to get close to the basket, which is a slight dogleg right (for the last 50 feet of the hole) to a slight raised pin placement.
- Course has a huge risk/reward factor. A good player could throw a mid-range off every tee, throwing smart, straight shots and walk away with 18 straight 3s. The problems begin when one starts to get aggressive, bringing the rough/thick tree coverage off the fairways into play. It's very boring aiming for 18 straight 3s, but you also don't want to add unnecessary strokes to your scorecard.
- Hole #4 is the only course that offers much elevation. You tee off from a raised mound, throwing from a deck, across a semi-open field, back to a dogleg right basket on top of another mound. This was the most fun hole on the course, along with being the best hole to watch a tee shot sail away. This is a very enjoyable hole.
- There are very nice tee signs and navigational signs throughout the course. One of the small touches that was helpful was on the transitions between holes. For some that crossed holes, they had the upcoming hole number painted on the road crossing, letting players know they were headed in the right direction. It's a small touch, but it's the little things that make a round more enjoyable.
Cons: As mentioned, this is a very consistent course throughout. While that's a good thing, it does bring up a glass half-empty feeling as well.
- While the course is consistently solid throughout, it's lacking really good-to-great layouts and/or truly challenging holes. As long as I stayed on the fairway with my tee shots, I really never had to work hard for a 3. The lone exception was hole #14, a 260 foot hole that starts in the open and ends with an aim toward an opening in the trees to the right side of the fairway. My shot when slightly long and to the left, and being in the woods, I had no chance for an up-and-down. This course would be well suited to having some more strategic layouts as this one.
- The other negative about the layout is that the course could start feeling repetitive. A lot of holes have similar lengths. On the back 9, for example, seven of the nine holes are between 260 and 287 feet. Throw in a lot of doglegs and/or wooded fairways, and some players might feel like they're throwing the same tee shot multiple times. As such, there were very few holes that stood out from the pack.
- On some of the wooded holes, the tree coverage is extremely thick if you get off the fairway. It can present a challenge to just get to your disc if you're off the fairway. It also can present a challenge just to throw your disc back onto the fairway, never mind the thought of advancing your shot down the fairway. Of course, if this bothers you, you are playing a course in a national forest. Just saying.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed playing at Sewee Outpost. In my opinion, this is the second best permanent course in the Charleston area. Trophy Lakes is still the king in this area, but Sewee gets the nod over the rest of the courses in the region.
- I appreciate seeing benches and trash cans on just about every single hole. Not only were there trash cans, you could tell they were emptied on a regular basis. Doubly impressive!
- The outpost has a solid selection of Innova discs, plus just about anything else you could want. Anything you could imagine needing for a round of disc golf, you'll find here.
- Here's my thinking. You're already out $5 to play here, whether you pay just to pay or you spend that money in the outpost. I bought a disc for $16. I could have probably gotten it online for a couple bucks cheaper; but I justified it as coming out ahead - $16 spent - $5 course fee = $11 disc. I'm sure plenty of people would rather spend that money on food or adult libations.
- This was well worth the extra 30 minutes of driving to go past Park Circle and some of the other courses to play Sewee. It would probably see even more action if it were slightly closer to the city, but it's still worth checking out.

Good mix of holes

1    5/20/2015   5/20/2015
Review By: devil2RVA
Pros: There are some really cool holes, like #4 teeing off a deck on a hill. Pretty easy in terms of exercise. nice change between open field, tight woods, and random trees in the way.
Cons: Played early in the morning. Despite no rain the last three days, still pretty damp. BUGS! I was eaten alive out there.
Other Thoughts: Is it a course you NEED to play? No. Is it a solid course to play? Yes.

1    12/30/2014   3/18/2015
Review By: reposado
Pros: Mostly tight wooded holes with a few that traverse open territory. The course is generally flat but the elevated tees (off a constructed mound) add additional variety. Most of the wooded holes are on the tight side, but they are well constructed and fair, with no obstacles within the flightpaths. The course was much better than I expected. I never found myself bored. High fun factor.
Great tees and baskets. The layout flows pretty smoothly and few should have issues with navigation. 8 finishes back at the lot which is nice at a course set around a store. For those that like hunting aces, there will be plenty of opportunities for runs.
Cons: A lot of the holes are really short, and they may not be challenging enough for many players. Those new to the sport, who may seek shorter courses, may have trouble keeping it in the fairway. Sewee is aimed pretty squarely at intermediate players which suits me fine. But just as I was never bored, I was never wowed either. One that I thoroughly enjoyed playing, but wouldn't feel the need to return to unless I was local to the area.

Great course not too far from Charleston.

2-4    12/13/2014   12/17/2014
Review By: pandabud104
Pros: This course has me wanting to play even more. The course has a lot of variety with tight trees, open fields, starting on a hill, and ending on hills. The baskets, trails, and tees are in very good shape. Having the outpost next to the course is very nice as it has food, bathroom, and a place to get out of the weather when needed.
Cons: I happened to play this course the same day that the had a parade which caused the closure of holes 1, 17, and 18. A few of the directional signs need to be replaced as some are broken or missing, but other than that the course was great.
Other Thoughts: Overall I had a great time at this course and I am already planning return trips. I recommend this course to anyone who is in the area.

Fun Course!

5+    5/28/2014   5/28/2014
Review By: Apsey
This review was updated on 11/15/2014
Pros: -Great use of the land
-Friendly Staff
-Purchases in the store count towards your $5 fee to play
-Technicality makes up for shortness of course
-Well shaded
-Great Discatcher baskets
-Quiet atmosphere
Cons: -Short course
Other Thoughts: I recently moved to the area and have played the course 3 times now. My first impression of the course was that it was beautiful, well shaded with tight holes. After shooting -11 my very first round, I was disappointed as I generally like courses that kick my butt. However, after playing a couple more times I got a taste of what the rough can be like if you find it and got a whole new appreciation for the course.

I consider myself to be a tee pad snob. I don't pick up my feet much at all during my x step so any unevenness could put me on the ground. I was surprised to see that these tee pads didn't bother me at all and I found them to be quite nice. The staff there at the Outpost does a fantastic job of keeping them level which is awesome. The pad are also very large which is good for those of you who have long run ups.

The day that I'm writing this review, I went out and played during their "Barn Jam" that they have every Wednesday evening. Holes 1, 17 and 18 weren't playable. If you get there early enough before the lot starts getting full you can get those holes out of the way and still get your full 18 in. If you are ok with that, I recommend going out there on a Wednesday evening and playing because throwing a disc around on beautiful property with the sound of good live music echoing through the woods while the sun is setting was VERY cool.

I will be coming here more often to play. Though the holes are short, they do demand a good accurate throw and can really help your short game. And there are still a couple holes you can throw your driver on. During my round I thew backhand, forehand, flick roller, thumber, and turbo putt. The folks at Innova that put the course in really did a good job at making sure you throw all the shots in your arsenal on this course!

Great fun, good mix of wicked tight and nicely open

2-4    3/26/2014   3/27/2014
Review By: Jumpfiend
Pros: The vibe from the staff at the Outpost is great from when you first walk on the campus.
It's well marked and easy to follow from hole to hole.
The technicality of the holes makes it a lot more challenging than you'd first think from scoping out the distances.
Lots of fun with the changing open to tight lines mixing it up from hole to hole.
Amenities available are great! Plus live music every Wednesday that you can listen to as you play? Awesome!
There's a couple elevated tee pads (in otherwise FLAT Charleston area) that make it lots of fun.
Cons: A bit of a distance from Charleston proper, but well worth the drive.
The rubber tee pads aren't completely flat on a couple holes, so that's a bit disconcerting.
Other Thoughts: This course is awesome. It's not a giant drives every hole type course, but it's very technical and makes you plan your shots accordingly. It's well manicured with plenty of birdie opportunities, as well as plenty of bogey opportunities if you miss your lines and end up in the woods. Lots of fun, it's definitely going to be a regularly played course for me.
Also, I met one of the owners and sat and talked with him for about 45 minutes. Great guy with lots of love for the sport, really humble and down to earth, just makes the whole experience there even better!

Good Course to play!

1    10/19/2013   10/19/2013
Review By: JoshuaWayneHester
Pros: *All Innova Discatcher Goals in great shape.

*All rubber tee pads in great shape.

*Navigation is very easy, with good signage.

*Ace race chances for stronger arms and a good course to challenge your control shots.

*Very little chance of losing a disc, with no water hazards.
*Features a nice selection of disc in their outpost
store. (with a very friendly staff.)

**Hole 4 has set a new standard for "cool". it is a elevated tee box that drops off into a slight dog right shot. A++++

*No boring holes, all of the holes are fun, and with a good mix of distances for the am player like myself.

*Although the course has wooded holes, they are nicely groomed with great upkeep.
Cons: *Wildlife could possible be a problem for younger kids, bring bugspray and wear boots.

*Although I found this course fun and challenging, better skilled players might find the course too easy. There are some very short holes.
Other Thoughts: *$5 dollars to pay, or buy something from the store that equals that value. Very friendly staff, very well maintained course with great holes and easy naviagation. This is one of my favorites courses. I just wish it were closer to me. My weakness is my control of my drive, and this course gave me a real challenge.
***a must play in my opinion!

Sewee-t Outpost

1    10/6/2013   10/7/2013
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Sewee Outpost has 18 holes of disc golf, and is probably a pretty fun place for other reasons. The Wednesday night Barn Jams would be another thing I would likely enjoy. There is a gas station, with all sorts of food, drinks, snacks, as well as disc golf gear, clothes, toys, and other assorted items. The reason for my visit of course: disc golf. They never charged me green fees since my girlfriend and I bought a couple of tasty sandwiches, a fruit salad and drinks. They did require us to wear wristbands on the course. As for the facilities, tees were rubber mats, that was marked with posts, and an illustrated sign for each hole marking the fairway's path, basket location, direction to the next tee. Baskets were all Discatchers in practically new condition. There were a number of other handwritten, laminated notes, and numbered crosswalks over roads to help guide you along. Hard to get lost here. Recycling bins were plentiful. Layout flowed pretty well, and avoided other traffic at most times.

The course was not overly difficult, tending to be average to short in terms of distance, especially on the front nine. The course alternates from open fairway one hole, to woods the next and back again repeatedly. Number 1 is short and open with sparse trees near the target. 2 is a short, left turn hyzer, and I got the birdie there. 3 is one of three holes over 300', and open, but some mature trees make you choose one side or the other. 4 is interesting, starting at the tee, which is a nice wooden deck that is elevated 6 or 7 feet. The fairway turns right around some trees, to a basket that is also on top of a dirt mound a few feet tall. Left and right turning holes are about evenly mixed, with some straight shots thrown in too. 5, 6, and 7, are short but woodsy. 8 tees from the same mound as 4, but has a separate rubber mat. It is a long (334' is second longest on the course), fairly open, left turn hyzer. 9 and 10, short and wooded again. At 11 the average length of holes stretch, around 260' to 290' except for 16. 12 is a straight shot through some moderately thick trees, and I pulled a very fortunate deuce here, filtering through some very narrow gaps, it was beautiful and felt great. 13, 14, and 15 are all somewhat open. 16 is the longest hole, measuring 352', and has trees lining both sides of the fairway that turns slightly left. 17 is a left hyzer to a basket that is guarded by fairly thick brush and trees if you miss the front door. 18 is pretty much wide open finishing right next to the entrance of the Sewee Outpost, close to the first hole. I liked this course because it is compact, and fun. There are not many holes where you feel a birdie is unrealistic, but you're required to make good throws consistently to stay out of trouble. A lot of holes I took a 3 and it felt like a bogey. I also took a handful of legitimate bogeys.
Cons: Few reasons to be disappointed. Concrete tee pads would be nice. Probably way too easy for exceptionally skilled players. A sign indicated that a couple of holes may be used for overflow parking at peak busy times, and then become unplayable.
Other Thoughts: I liked the disc golf course at Sewee Outpost, and would play there frequently if I lived nearby. No water in play, and no natural elevation change. Some nice holes, but nothing that is extraordinary. Not championship caliber, but fun all the same. Short and efficient layout would make multiple rounds fairly easy here. Part of a very nice October day was well spent checking this one out. The store was well stocked, employees were super nice, and dog friendly. There is also a restaurant across the highway. Next time I'm staying for the barn jam.

another charleston area gem

1    10/5/2013   10/5/2013
Review By: bbobsuek
Pros: Good utilization of the land.
Good balance of Right vs. Left
Short holes that can go badly
Good mix of Wooded vs. Open
Elevation in the low country..yes
Good signage
Nice facility in general....the pay 5 but spend it in the store is great concept
Nice new baskets
I can deal with the teepads....maybe just take a little getting used to.
Even though there are tight fairways there are lines
Thinking mans course
The field by 18 is a nice warm up zone
Well maintained
Funfactor is high
Cons: No true par 4s
Wish it was closer to me

Other Thoughts: Very impressive new course that will only get better over time.
I would suggest cleaning up more underbrush as the woods are penal enough
This might also knock down some of the bugs.
Must play for the charleston area

"It's All Good"!!!

5+    9/23/2013   9/23/2013
Review By: Shade
Pros: All of the previous 'Pros' are dittoed here...Personally, I like the variety of holes within the general wooded motif. Some of the fairways are very tight, some of the rough is very penile and some holes contain both. But, every player can devise a strategy to negotiate the layout with the tools they currently have even if that requires laying up half way down a fairway until they have an opportunity to develop longer, more accurate shots that will work on the tight corridors. Additionally, I believe the variety of left to right, right to left, etc requirements encourages experienced players and novice alike to learn and hone a full arsenal of shots. This course (with the exception of holes over 300 ft) is a training ground for short to medium shots that are required to play all courses well regardless of the particular course type. New post: I noticed a new parking area is being designated for the music events, etc. Way to go Brooks!!!
Cons: My only concerns have already been mentioned (water retention on a few holes and occasional parking challenges). Other than that, I find this course and all the additional services very enjoyable and I'm sure that the 'powers that be' will do all that they can to continue to make 'The Outpost' better and better...
Other Thoughts: Perhaps long time playing professionals, and or long arms may not enjoy this course more than a few times, but almost everyone else should find the layout to be very enjoyable and effectively challenging. It will be fun to see how low the course record gets once the word gets out and many more experienced and capable players make their rounds. I see See Wee as one of the best training / beginner courses in the region. I'm not aware of many other round totals to date, but I do know of one ace already, Bucky hit # 9 a few weeks ago...