Stanardsville, VA
Greene Co. Community Park Share
Uploaded By: splatbaseball51 Hole #7 (Taken 12/2014)
-- / -- Par / Distance:

A lot of potential

1    12/26/2014   12/27/2014
Review By: splatbaseball51
Pros: This course has a lot of really nice shots. I was impressed about the time I threw on hole 2. This course is better than what it is chalked up to be and could be something special if a bit more work was done.

There are more than 11 "holes". There is an 18 hole layout that allows the course to seem bigger than what it is. Technically, though, there are still only 11 baskets as many holes share the same basket.

There is a lot of variety out here to be on such as seemingly small plot of land. You'll have a few open bombs, a few open lobs, some tight wooded doglegs and tunnels.

I used most of my bag within the first 6-7 holes. The wooded holes were really nice and unexpected. I loved the tunnel shot. Once you're out in the open, you'll have a few opportunities to open up and throw drivers.
Cons: The tee pads are a carpet type, which can be pretty hard to play on in the rain. I suppose it's better than natural tee's and a necessary evil until the final course layout gets figured out.

My biggest complaint is that this isn't a legitimate 18 hole course yet. I imagine there are budgetary restrictions, along with a smaller community of golfers. A proper 18 hole course can help grow a community and is an investment into the future of disc sports for the county. I would recommend the county helping any way they can to give this course the proper shot to be great. The land is there.

There are multiple places where losing a disc is likely. An errant shot can send you into some nasty stuff, so be careful.
Other Thoughts: It's hard to see such a beautiful location with so much potential be dragged down by the negatives. The course needs more baskets, proper tees and signs and the ability to use a little more land. Once this is a legitimate 18 hole course, I'm sure it will be one worth traveling out of the way to play. As it stands now, I'd recommend experiencing it once, but not regularly (yet).

Potential...lots of potential

1    10/13/2013   10/13/2013
Review By: zubeala
Pros: There is a lot of variety in this course. Some wide open, some very narrow fairways, some open to woods and woods to open. A little water, but nothing you would loose a disc into. Views of the surrounding mountains are great. I saw bluebirds, cardinals, minnows, deer , and rabbits. The wooded holes are not so overgrown that you are likely to loose any discs. I think this is a great beginner to intermediate course. If you can throw 150-200 foot drive you have a par potential on nearly every hole, which for an intermediate player like myself is fun and fantastic. Now I only made 3 pars, but that's why this is a great course for my level of play.
Cons: The signage is confusing and poor. Most holes have 2 different hole numbers, and though there was some instructions at the start, they didn't make sense to me.
The course map doesn't match either set of signs exactly. No next tee signs (why don't all courses have these?), though some of the tee signs did shown where the next tee should be.
Tees are not in great shape but playable enough.
Other Thoughts: A little course spruce up, especially with signs would make this a very good course and one I would recommend. But without that, an out-of-towner like myself would just get frustrated.