Stanardsville, VA
Greene Co. Community Park Share

Better than Your Average 11 Hole Course

1    4/25/2014   5/20/2014
Review By: DSCJNKY
Pros:
- Way Better than Advertised. I was pleasantly surprised by the course at Green County Park. I usually would avoid an "11 hole course"… however, this isn't an 11 hole course… it's an 18 hole course with 11 baskets (maybe more). There are some really fun holes at Green County. You will not be disappointed with the quality of shots here…. the Holes themselves are probably not the reason why the disc score is low.
- Room for Improvement. I was lucky enough to play with the course designer (random luck) and he was able to provide some history into the design, redesign, and then redesign… and the future redesign plans for the course. If he can get the parcels he showed me, and some of the original holes on the course that were removed, this course will be great!
Cons:
- Only 11 Baskets for 18 Holes. I really wish this course had a full layout. I do not mind going around a course 2 times, with slightly different layouts… but a straight up 18 would be better. I noted above, there are plans and space for expansion of the course. I hope it happens.
- Navigation. I did not have a problem with the navigation (granted, I was with the course designer)… but I don't think that would have been an issue for me anyway. I've played enough courses that I can pretty much find my way around anything. However it could be an issue for others, so I mention it in the "cons" section.
- Seemingly Not Worth Visiting. I was traveling and contemplating if I should go to Green County Park (a not so highly ranked 11 hole course), versus going to revisit Walnut Park on the other side of Charlottesville (a full on championship course). But, seeing as to how I had been to Walnut, and it was in the opposite direction of my intended travel, I decided to go to Green County… I am glad I did.
- Star Hill Brewing. Special thanks to the bartender at Star Hill for telling me that this course was worth going to. I was contemplating where to go play (Green County or Walnut) and he convinced me that Green County was better than advertised… and he also knew it worked better with my travel plans… so I went there.
- Overall. I had a great time at Green County Park. I would have loved to go around it twice, but had to get back on the road. Don't let this 11 basket / 18 hole course fool you… it is better than what you might typically attribute to an 11 basket / 18 hole shared fairway course. Especially given the quantity of play out there (fairly isolated)… I doubt there is ever that much of a problem with crossover between various groups. The Star Hill Brewery is 40 minutes away… and it's always great to mix in some brewery visits to your disc golf travels (I have probably been to more than 100 breweries - fun times). And, it's conveniently on its way into Shenandoah National Park.
My Score: I don't remember exactly… somewhere around -5.

Thanks blueridge DGC

1    8/11/2013   8/19/2013
Review By: aimonetony
Pros: good mix of open and wooded holes

lots of risk/ reward. ie do you lay up on 1 or go into the rough? Do you shoot through the trees or put it in the middle?

Grass was cut and the creek was running. built on a watershed reserve.

hole 1, 2 and 9 are something special. like playing ball golf.

A little bit of wild life and beautiful views of the blueridge mountains
Cons: There are signs but I got a little confused that #2 was labeled as 11.

Super tight fairways on 3 and 6 in the woods seemed a little unfair. Damn it if I didn't hit the "first tree" twice in a row.

There was an extra basket near 7 i couldn't figure out and hole 8 seemed too short but maybe i didn't figure it out right. Did seem incomplete.
Other Thoughts: Another example of well we could put 18 holes here but a nice 9 hole with multiple tees would be better.

Sign at the front explains everything but i could tell it hadn't been updated for 6 months.

I gotta say I really like the work from these guys in central Virginia. Nice work blueridge!