Jonesborough, TN
Kiwanis DGC Share
Uploaded By: Baysinger Hole #5 (Taken 5/2014)

Kiwanis, KiwanYES!

1    6/18/2014   6/18/2014
Review By: WestGooch
This review was updated on 6/21/2014
Pros: - Great hole variety. One must be able to drive well in the open in addition to weaving through trees.
- Easy to navigate. There is a course map at the start of the course and hole maps throughout.
- Baskets and most concrete tees are in very good condition.
- Allows for the use of almost every disc in your bag.
- For beginner players it is a fair challenge and experienced players will have fun with multiple birdie runs.
- At most times of the week the course is not crowded. Even though some holes may be fairly close together, you will more than likely be the only party there.
Cons: - Grass needs to be cut more frequently and foliage better maintained. Can be rather dense even slightly off the fairway.
- If you are an experienced player looking for a challenge in contrast to a light afternoon, this course may become boring.
- As aforementioned, in the off-chance that the course is crowded, you may have to be extremely weary of throwing near others or other groups.
Other Thoughts: From previous reviews read, I find that Kiwanis has improved and frankly come a long way recently. I still consider myself a beginner player, and this course certainly tested my abilities in all areas. In order to save par many tough putts had to be made. I enjoyed the variety of Kiwanis and played a fun round in just over an hour. I would undoubtedly recommend this course to players of all levels in the tri-cities.

Full 18 Holes

1    5/28/2014   5/28/2014
Review By: DBdiscgolf
Pros: The park has recently put 9 more holes in to give the course a full 18. This course does a surprisingly good job of taking a very small piece of land and incorporating both wooded and open holes. For the most part, it is not just throwing back and forth across a field as I had expected it to be. The holes are 90% very short, but number 7 is 465 feet across the open part of the course and provides a nice relief from throwing short, technical shots. As others have stated, there is a very good opportunity for aces. Very nice, new DISCather baskets.
Cons: The main con is that the fairways and greens in the woods are not clear at all. This is most likely due to little traffic seeing as most of the disc golfing around the area is done at Warriors Path, Winged Deer, and Harmon Hills. Also many of the tee pads in the woods have been awfully constructed and are literally crumbling under your feet. As obvious as this is, the lack of distance and difficulty is a con for advanced and professional level players. The course gets repetitive and boring quickly if you are at this level. There are no benches at the tees. On days like today (86 degrees) that would be a very nice touch. A nice view of the most redneck water park in the world and it's cracked out / morbidly obese visitors at the hole 8 tee pad.
Other Thoughts: The course designers have done the best it possibly could with what it had to work with, and I commend them for this. I hope it gets some extra traffic now that the full 18 have been put in. It's a great place for families and beginners, and a great place to practice your approach and mid game for advanced players. All in all it's a very simple, short course that has nothing special to offer, but deserves to be played by locals.

My hometown course

5+    4/9/2014   4/18/2014
Review By: kawsnruckus
Pros: - Short fun holes
- Mixture of open/wooded holes with great elevation changes
- Great chance for an ace
- Quick course that can be played under 30 minutes easily
- Hole # 2 is VERY short but fun. Straight down hill.
- Nice concrete pads (except for # 5)
- Water Park, camping, basketball, baseball all close for other family activities
- Great signs at each tee pad
Cons: - Leading up to # 5 is treacherous when wet/muddy
- Hole # 5 pad is wood chips
- Large tree down at basket # 5
- The descent downhill AFTER hole # 5 is treacherous
- Only a 9 hole course
- Confusing walk between # 6 and # 7
- Steep uphill walk from # 9 to parking lot
Other Thoughts: Hole # 5 needs work in more ways than one BUT that is the only hole I have ever aced! All luck though. The rest of the holes are great. Fun little course. I think they are in process of adding more holes.

Replayed: Still Dangerous

2-4    8/30/2014   3/30/2014
Review By: lammersk
This review was updated on 9/6/2014
Pros: Starts with three short control pins and then goes into several nice longer pins (new 4 through 8) which make the course much funner than it was. 7 is particularly good as it plays over a rolling field at 468 feet.
Cons: Here's what I wrote when this was a nine pin course:
----------
"5 is poorly laid out and dangerous. In order to get to 5's tee you have to climb an overly steep mudpath. I slipped three times and the third time I might have ended up tumbling if a tree hadn't been handy to grab. Once I reached the tee, it was framed with wood and filled with wood chips. The shot is across the side of the hill - not up or down. I tee'ed off poorly from the chips and my disc fell short and just to the left of the path to the basket. The path to the basket is not a flat path. Instead, it is just a mudpath on the same, somewhat steep angle as the hill. I slid along it, trying to walk on the leaves around its edges and staying close to trees I could grab. However, none of that helped me when I threw the disc. The leaves and mud under them slid away and I went down. Getting back up, I went to the log across the path which had stopped my disc and putted from there. Then I basically climbed up the side of the log, my feet sliding and my hands pulling me up using a couple branches, and walked down the mudpit around the basket to get my disc. This mudpit was also on the same angle as the hill and I leaned on the basket to stay in place.

From the 5th basket to the 6th tee was another adventure. The path leads steeply downhill from the basket. I started to try to walk it slowly and the mud gave way. I barely grabbed the basket in time to stop. Then I aimed myself at a small tree and slid/walked down. Thankfully, I hit my target. However, this was not the end of the trek to the 6th tee. The path went on - again a mudpath which was not flattened, but the same angle as the hill. I made it almost 2/3d of the way before my carefully slow walk was not enough and I went down again.

Look, I understand they are trying to make an interesting/more difficult basket. However, 5 needs some work. (1) Stairs going up to 5 and down to 6. Nothing fancy, 4X4's with a couple of feet of flat land behind each would be perfect. (2) Flatten the paths on the sides of the hills. (3) Flatten the area around 5's basket. It won't do any good to fix the other problems if there still a mudpit around 5 to slide down from."

----------

5 is now 13. The mudpath up to it is gone because you play around the hill through the woods to get to it. Otherwise, it is still the same dangerously laid out pin that it was before. This time I made sure I came after there had been a week without rain and playing across the side of the hill was not as bad. However, the area around the basket is still extremely slanted and the path down to 14 (previously 6) is slanted at far too steep an angle. Someone had put wood chips on the trail down to 14. I presume they were there because someone thought they would provide traction, but at least on this dry day they made the footing more treacherous. 13 & 14 are still dangerous and need to be fixed.

Minor: If this course gets crowded the 4-9 could be problematic because they are close to each other and those without excellent control will end up in each others' fairways.

Minor: Could use better signs getting people across the parking area to where the last few pins are located.
Other Thoughts: The improvements to this course make it more fun and when the mudpath up to previous 5 was no longer there, I started to hope that the other problems I previously noted were fixed as well so that I could recommend this course to others. Sadly, they were not. Because of this, the best I can rate this course is passable - if the weather has been dry for a few days.

Short and Sweet

2-4    10/4/2013   10/4/2013
Review By: 2002P51
Pros: Short, plays fast, rewards accuracy over power, challenges your shot choices.
Cons: Odd transition from #6 to #7, no benches or trash cans but that's nit picking. The tee box at #5 is the only one that's not concrete. It's loose tree bark and is very uneven.
Other Thoughts: If you play this course you can leave the distance drivers at home. The longest hole is #7 at 260 feet. This is not necessarily a bad thing as the course rewards accuracy and control over brute power. As an example, hole #2 is listed optimistically at 210 feet. It's Par 2, dead straight, downhill with a reasonably wide fairway through the woods. If you can throw straight this is an easily aceable hole. Also if you happen to work close by the course plays quickly and you could get in nine holes during your lunch hour and still have time for a sandwich.

The info page claims this course is "moderately hilly". I guess that depends on your definition of moderately. If you are old enough to have ever used a dime to make a call from a pay phone the climb up to the basket at #4, and then from there up to the tee at #5 will have you huffing and puffing.

You're in for another steep climb if you decide to play 18 holes as the climb from #9 back up to the #1 tee is also pretty stiff. You can park near the first tee but then you have that uphill climb after you're finished playing a round. The course map is a little deceptive as there is another small parking lot right next to the #9 basket that isn't shown. You'll be glad you parked there after 18 holes.

The walk from #6 to the tee at #7 is a little strange. You come out of the woods, go across the parking lot, and past the campground, before you get to the next tee. I don't know if they could have continued the course through the woods around the campground or not, but whatever, once you get used to it, it's not all that bad.

Overall this is a fun little course that can be a nice break from the big bomb, wide open courses and even though the first six holes are mostly in the woods, the underbrush is light so there's little chance of losing a disc after an off-line throw.

1    5/29/2013   5/29/2013
Review By: pv2292
Pros: Short holes to work on your short game. Some of the holes had some degree of difficulty. I would play again if in the area.
Cons: The day I played it was very slick in the wooded areas.
Other Thoughts: There was enough room to add another 9 holes which would improve the over-all experience.