Monroe, NC
Dry Creek Share
Uploaded By: dtriscari Hole #5 (Taken 9/2013)
Hole #5 Approach

Very swampy after rain

1    1/16/2016   1/17/2016
Review By: terptwerp
Pros: Variety of wooded and open holes. Also some longer and shorter holes.
Cons: This course has the worst drainage of any course I have ever played. Most holes had standing water and muddy fairways and transitions. With the mud and standing water, more benches are needed.

Many of the transitions were very long. And
Other Thoughts: If I play this course again when it is drier, I will update my review. For the two rounds I played, the mud and standing water ruined any chance of fun. Hopefully I just played at a bad time.

Dry Creek

1    1/6/2016   1/8/2016
Review By: dndelli
Pros: There is a lot to love about Dry Creek Disc Golf. I think the course design is superb. The variety of both open and wooded holes keeps your round of play extremely exciting. You start off in a wooded area and then open up into a large open area for a while before heading back into the woods. The best part is that even though many of the open holes are extremely open, many of them are also obstructed with a few small trees and plants. The short tees and long tees make for a varied course difficulty which is nice.

There are a lot of benches and picnic tables throughout the course, which is very nice.
Cons: It had rained for a few weeks before I played, and even though the sun had been out for 4-5 days, I noticed this course manages to retain a lot of water. (Very muddy at times.) Many of the tees, especially from the short tee position, could definitely have used an extra foot or so of concrete. I have a very slow tee motion, but know some people who use a lot more room on their drives that would have had to start in the mud before taking their drives.
Other Thoughts: This course has been on my list for quite some time. It had been a while since I played a new course, and this one reminded me how fun it is to play. I really, really enjoyed the environment changes. It really seems to give this course life. There wasn't much elevation to be had, which I would consider a con usually, but the varied foliage (or lack thereof) made up for this in my opinion. The best part of this course is that there is a lot of room for growth and improvement.

There are a few rules posted at the start of this course, and it was obvious when I played through that many people were not obeying them. As a community we need to insure we abide the rules that SPCC has in place to make sure this course can survive.

Favorite Holes: 6, 9, 12, 16

Dry Creek

1    12/26/2015   12/26/2015
Review By: DgDamon
Pros: Tremendous variety. Open shots, wooded shots, rights, lefts, short & long, this course was a joy to play. The design is well thought out and the lack of crowding made it even more fun. Had no issues navigating.
Cons: No bathroom and if hills are your thing there aren't any to be had here.

Lived Up to the Name

1    8/29/2015   8/31/2015
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: The Dry Creek disc golf course is a fully enjoyable 18 hole course. The opening holes and the last couple are in the woods, but there are also many holes through the middle that are more wide open. Hole 5 had a tall post, to test your putting a little more. Holes 10-14 are back into woods for a while, and only have short tee pads. Concrete tee pads, and good baskets. Many of the holes have dual tees, and the longer boxes add significant distance. There is not really any elevation changes, and no water to contend with. Nothing is super easy, but there are birdie chances to be had. The mix of left and rights seemed well balanced, and there are plenty of par 4 holes from the long boxes. While most of the long holes are on the more open part of the course, but there are still a few trees out there to keep it interesting. Overall the park was very clean, grass fairways were in great shape, and I liked what I saw.
Cons: There was not a lot of downside I could see at the Dry Creek course. If the sun is out, you will catch some rays, there isn't much shade on the grassy fairways. No dogs allowed, sorry to all my four legged friends. Campus that is home to this course is tobacco free (or it was supposed to be according to the signs, oops).
Other Thoughts: I liked this course. As usual I played well mostly, but blew up a couple of holes and wound up a little over par. I played the long tees (except for hole 9, I passed it and didn't want to walk all the way back), and finished at +2. I was 3 under par through 13 holes, but I missed an easy put on 15, and assaulted a few trees on 17 to make sure I didn't look too awesome. If you are on point, you can definitely put up a low score. I would check it out if you are able to get there to play a round. So many good courses around Charlotte, this one is not among the best in the area, but is still very good and worth the trip for sure.

Beginners Prospective

1    8/28/2014   9/2/2014
Review By: lexxerd
Pros:
COURSE PLAY:
Dry Creek was recommended to me by a coworker, so this past week I took the drive to Monroe/Indian Trial to try it out. I was very impressed with this course. There were several holes with short and long tees. There was a great mix of left and right turn holes which I found really nice for working on different shots. There course weaves in out out from open plains to heavily wooded holes. The front 9 are longer then the back 9 in the woods but there is an overall good mix of distances throughout the whole course. Hole 5 was one of my favorites because it had an extended pole placing the basket a good 7-8 feet high surrounded by two large tractor tires and cemented in the center. I have to admit, I stopped and did some practice putting on this hole just for the fun of playing this tall basket! There are several open holes where wind can be a factor, be prepared to throw your heavy discs if its windy. The course is pretty wide open with a few narrow holes in the back 9. Brush and weeds are minimal and easy to find OB discs and the course is very well maintained and mowed.

AMENITIES:
Nice concrete tees in great condition. There are picnic tables at each long tee, which I think is an awesome idea for seating. The signs were in great condition, accurate depictions of total distance and where each basket is located. Most of the course has signs to navigate you to the next hole and some included directions to the short tee or the long tee. The course was very VERY clean, little to no trash laying around.
Other Thoughts: It would be nice if the tee signs showed both tee pads so you knew which one you were actually at. A few times I threw from a long tee unknowingly because there was no indication that I was at the short or long tee based on the tee signs.

If you use a GPS to get the the course, the address is 4209 Old Charlotte Hwy, Indian Trail, NC not Monroe, NC. My GPS showed two 4209's on Old Charlotte Hwy and I thought the Monroe address would have been correct since the course says its in Monroe, but it is in fact right on the border of these two towns. Use the driving instructions on the main Dry Creek course page which mentions the red and white water tower, this guided me straight to the course and where to park.

I highly recommend this course to beginners!

Dry OB

1    6/22/2014   6/24/2014
Review By: Bennybennybenny
This review was updated on 7/2/2014
Pros: -I love Dry Creek, it's very scenic and has a whole lot of variety throughout the course. The course is perfect for what it was designed for. It's pretty challenging, it has some very hard holes. No real gimmes here. The course is at South Piedmont Community College so this isn't a park course.
-Very unique! I love the variety on this course. There is some elevation, not a lot but a decent amount. The elevated basket on hole 5 was super cool on the tires leaving a very difficult putt. A lot of different shaped fairways on this course here, straight, left, right. It's well evened out. Lengths range from 176 to 648 feet long.
-The par 4's are all very challenging holes. There are four on this course. Hole 5 was my favorite hole. It's around 550' with OB all around the right side as well as the left with small trees in the middle of the fairway. Definitely requires a small hyzer about 300 feet to clear the trees and OB to the left. The second shot, your goal is to get as close to the basket as you can since it is elevated on two tires. Hole 9 is the hardest hole on the course by far. The OB is hard to avoid especially with the trees. The hole is 648' long. You want to stay away from the small trees on this hole as well and avoid the OB to the left side. It's right in front of you at one point about 360' from the tee. You want to stay away from the trees to the right. #14 is the shortest par 4 on the course, but it's very tight and very punishing. I can't see anyone throwing a driver because the woods are pretty dense. The disc (preferably a mid range) should turn very slightly to the left, leaving a second shot that should go right. The basket is out in the open. #15 is very tricky as well. It's open for maybe 275' and then, about 100 feet it's slightly wooded and you go back out into the open. It's pretty hard to stay in the fairway if you want to go long. This is a hard 3 to get on this hole.
-The wooded holes are not quite as long as the open holes. The wooded holes require more accuracy. Hole 17 is the perfect example here. It's about 275' long. But has two routes. I highly recommend the one to the right because it's much wider. The route on the left is the risk and reward kind of thing. It's much more narrow but if you go threw it cleanly, a birdie will come more easily while the right route has a sharp left turn. For the distance on this hole, it's a very hard 2. Same with #14. It's an S shaped fairway that goes out into the open. I can't see this hole being birdied often. It demands two clean shots that clear the woods. Not overly difficult but can be very hard to even par this hole.
-Dual sets of tees on almost every hole. In the CAC we played the longs except on 2 and 6. I think #2 is much more challenging from the short tee. It demands a huge hyzer shot around several trees to the left. You want to go big on this hole, the woods are very dense to the left but there are not as bad if you go long. Even a pro would be psyched to birdie this par 3 hole. This hole has an egregiously sharp left turn. The long tee is a dogleg right and around the cluster of trees. Still a hard hole from either tee. #6 isn't a very difficult birdie if you can hyzer without hitting the trees straight ahead. The basket is to the left but it's a blind shot. Go right of the trees on this hole and get a good distance on this hole, it's not a difficult birdie. The long is an easier birdie because it allows a much bigger shot. If you can throw 300+ and throw a slight hyzer 245'. A birdie should come pretty easily. If you play the short tees here, you will have a fun, forgiving round here. The longs are more challenging but can still be pretty unforgiving if you don't go OB. All the OB is in the vegetation, the only holes with OB are 4,5 and 9.
-There are some benches out here. Not on every hole but on some of them.
-Nice concrete tee pads. Appropriate length for the distances on every hole. They are not raised up very high either so my giant run ups are not limited.
-Secluded. I don't think anyone will really be in your way here.
-Next tee arrows on the confusing transitions.
Cons: -There are no bathrooms that I could find. There are no trash cans either on any of the holes here.
-The trees. There are so many trees growing. #16 stands out in my mind. It's a medium length par 3. It's pretty reachable but there are trees all to the right of the fairway. Luckily they are pretty low but this will be a problem in several years. Same thing with #9. This hole is just crazy. There is so much OB on this hole and so many trees that are growing. If you land under a tree, you are not getting a birdie on this hole, no chance at all. The OB gets worse after about 360' because it's just straight ahead of the tee. It's hard to avoid if it is in front of you and there are so many trees to the right side that will prevent you from having a good second shot.
-The lost disc potential is pretty high here. This course has a ton of vegetation. Mostly on the front 9. #7 probably has the most here. The hole isn't that long but long enough for me to throw a fairway driver. The rough is really rough on the whole front 9. Whether it is the trees or vegetation.
-#10's tee pad is angled toward the woods. I still birdied it but that doesn't mean the tee needs to face the fairway. It demands a very big hyzer. This is the shortest hole on the course at 176' long and some people throw drivers here. They just didn't do a good job with the tee pad.
Other Thoughts: -Dry Creek is the perfect course to play if you love variety. It has so many interesting shaped fairways, great greens, and a perfect mix between open and wooded! I suggest you find plenty of time to play this course. It's just very well designed and well put out.
-There are a few signature holes. #5 definitely is a good grip it and rip it par 4. #11 is a super cool downhill dogleg right. I'm surprised that this hole isn't as popular as it should be. It reminded me of #3 at Grand Central Station. It's a short downhill flick shot that turns pretty sharply. #14 is probably the most unique as it is a wooded S shaped fairway hole.
-This course kind of has a Cedarock and Grand Central station feeling. If you like both of those courses, you will LOVE Dry Creek. The open holes had a Cedarock feeling while the wooded holes were more challenging. #14 was exactly like #13 at Grand Central Station. A tight righty flick shot with an S shaped fairway.

A do not miss in the South Charlotte area!

Great Balance

1    6/17/2014   6/19/2014
Review By: 1978
Pros: What a beautiful course. I played int he summer time. It really had that coastal feel, the smell of the pine trees, sand, loved it. Dry Creek plays through open manicured fields, new growth and old growth forest. I found there to be great variety. I was able to throw technical shots back hand and side arm, thumbers, rollers, and air out some bombs. Tee pads while not consistent were level, set into the ground and appropriate for the throw required. There are very few "surprise" trees that you cannot see from the tee. Teesigns had enough detail for me. No sign is better than viewing the hole first. I didnt notice benches but I dont use them. I didnt see any trash on the course and it appeared to be in a very safe area behind the school. Rough was thick but in the field areas thin and discs area easily found. I really appreciated the variance in shots required....and being able to select a line throw and not cross my fingers. The open air and tunneling of the wind is great for wind practice. I have read about some mud and drainage issues however they have just spread tons and tons of good thick gravel on the walking paths. It was really neat and added to the directions. It seems like there was wind there even though it was a calm day everywhere else. I felt peaceful, the kind of course I would like to be on my property.
Cons: Some will complain about a few long transitions...there are many more longer on VERY well respected courses in Charlotte. They were pretty walks through the woods too. I didnt notice any wet areas. I think trashcans and benches will be good. My biggest problem that I hear is being fixed is that the teesigns are too close for comfort, and can be in your way. I hear they are being moved so I didnt mark the course down for them. There was a lack of elevation...but a raised basket made up for that. You can't add elevation!
Other Thoughts: I loved my play here and would easily fit it in to my top 10 charlotte area courses. To me it had the feel of a pay to play park with all the care and maintenance around individual trees and the mowed fields and paths. Its the kind of regular care that most Charlotte proper courses lack because it is all done by volunteers. Swing by this course and give David and Mike a handshake when you see them out there.

Fun and challenging

1    6/6/2014   6/6/2014
Review By: Nlicare18
Pros: The fellas that designed and maintain the course are out working on the course almost every time I go out to play. Still being less than 2 years young, I feel that some of the issued folks have in other reviews will be handled in time.

The course offers variety! What a concept! Dry Creek offers the opportunity to work on your short game, long game, sidearms as you will need an array of shots to score well. The rough is rough in places. I feel that for the most part- good shots and smart playing are rewarded. I heard that new signs will be put up in the next few days- so that's a plus. Gravel was spread on most of the long, wet transitions so it will make playing the course when it's wet much easier.
Even though this course is a bit of a haul for me, I will continue to play at Dry Creek. It's well worth checking out if you are in the area.
Cons: Some longish transitions
Lack of trash cans
A few more benches would be ideal

worth the drive

1    5/26/2014   5/28/2014
Review By: rabid dawg
Pros: Requires distance and creativity
Mentally challenging
Secluded environment
Quality pads
Enough choice holes to make the drive worthy, especially 5 and 9 - new #s.
Cons: Confusing signage - needs to be fixed before the CAC
Lack of trash cans (counter point - the lack of trash on the course, despite the lack of trash cans, was remarkable. great job Dry Creek crew!)
A couple long transitions, particularly the walk to 17
This course will test your soul in the summertime - it will be "Africa Hot."

Other Thoughts: Overall a really cool course to add to the Charlotte mix. Provides the chance to throw a few shots that you don't see on many other tracks in the region.
Unfortunately, if you don't live on the south side, the distance will factor in for frequency of play.

Even Tempered Stroll

2-4    10/8/2013   10/12/2013
Review By: curmudgeonDwindle
Other Thoughts: Course is situated on the grounds of Southern Piedmont Community College, comprising about 110 acres total. This area is, in the main, reclaimed farmland, which has been left fallow to the pioneer species of plants, particularly groundsel bush (blooming nicely at the time of playing) from which fairways are cut. In these 'open' areas of the course, small trees, particularly pear, dot the landscape and give the fairways definition/obstacles. About 30% of the course consists of sub-climax mix of pines and various hardwoods typical of the region. Terrain is very gently rolling and quite the nice walk. There is ample area for almost any future enhancement to the course, and may be an easy site for a 10,000'+ super course one day. Strong seasonal winds will frequently affect play at Dry Creek.

Course is the only 'official' activity on this part of the grounds and is spatially distant from the community college. The course seems designed around the gold set-up, as playing the reds, one frequently experiences redundant transitions. Transitions overall, even for the gold, are longer than average and in several instances can be confusing for the uninitiated. Equipment, signage & tee pads are above average. The numerous 'next-tee' signs were critical to a less frustrating time of it (the transition between #'s 13 & 14 is particularly rough and confusing). Please note this is a 'no tobacco' zone and that all refuse must be packed out. There are no amenities, practice facilities or a practice green. It should also be noted that the tee pads lack the preferred heavy texture finish, and may get slick in adverse conditions. OB areas are very limited and are clearly marked or intuitive. There are no mandatory flight paths.

From the reds, average hole distance is about 230' and from the gold tees, just under 360'. The gold course distances are very well distributed and from either set of tees scoring chances abound. Players with average power can score very well here and the course should be a delight for power players, as every par 4, except one, can easily be reached in 2 with very limited interference from trees. I dare say this course could easily be overpowered and the professional expectation would be in the mid-high 40's to stay in the hunt. The caveat being that the wind isn't up (During my play sustained winds were about 12 mph with gusts over 20, making scoring much more difficult).

From the golds, course is fairly well balanced regarding fairway/shot shape from the tee and approach, although it does set up a bit better for the clock spin thrower overall - particularly on all but one of the par 4's. Variety is solid, and since a large part of the course is open (and can be windy), creativity is encouraged and can be rewarded. Elevation changes throughout are gentle; miscalculations in play regarding same are of the kind that will tend to increase the length of your putt (or up), while not getting one into really serious trouble. Only 2 holes on the entire course, both short, straight 'deuce or die' types have unobstructed looks at the basket from the tee box. Roughs are a mixed bag throughout; except for the serious gaff, I could find no consistent correlation between the size of the throwing error and the penalty one receives. Poor shots will frequently 'get lucky' (or may even be rewarded), while even minor errors can be completely stymied. Provided the course is mown, this factor alone will determine playability for the recreational to advanced level player. If the course is not mown, it can be a disc-eating nightmare with diligent spotting and/or conservative, accurate play required for all levels. Greens overall are flattish and open. All targets are mounted at standard height. Green spin receptivity is largely determined by the fairway/obstacle geometry, not slope of the ground. Greens here offer some of the most 'straight-up' putting of any Charlotte area course.

One hole in particular proved especially noteworthy - the par-4 14th; I feel it's the course's toughest. A narrow flattened 'S' shape, it's basically not cuttable from the tee, as the fairway is severely height and width restricted. What makes it really tough is the fairway's thick penal rough, a semi-blind landing area and the gentle convex curve of the 'S's' top portion out to an open green - one is shielded from an accurate wind read on the upshot. It's a tricky technical par-4, very hard to birdie and very easy to bogie this one.

Dry Creek receives high marks for situational appropriateness, general playability, balance and variety, but is a bit rough around the edges and inconsistent throughout. It certainly lacks the care, refinement and polish of other local offerings, but Dry Creek is still quite young and these matters are more a matter of time. I dare say the more skilled and powerful the golfer, the less challenging this course would be to play, as this course can definitely be overpowered; for the recreational to advanced level golfer, it offers a solid test, with frequent opportunities to experiment with unimpeded disc flight. The routing is acceptable and one of the most gentle pleasing walks of any area course. It might also be said of Dry Creek that the difficulty is spread very consistently throughout the route - every hole is vulnerable to scoring and there is no real increase or letdown of intensity throughout via clever sequencing. Some may appreciate this even-tempered solution. Dry Creek's main drawback seems to be its relative remoteness from Charlotte; it requires a 'special' trip for visitors and Charlotte residents alike. I hope it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.