Fate, TX
The Cedars Share
Uploaded By: xhypocr4cyx Hole #11 (Taken 11/2013)

Very disappointing

1    10/1/2013   10/19/2013
Review By: Tobo6570
Pros: brings disc golf a little further out of the metroplex to help attract new players and another course for existing players to try
could potentially be a good (not great) course
Cons: Too many obstacles within throwing lanes. Some holes have no throwing lanes
Other Thoughts: This course could have some potential but there needs to be a lot of work. Some of the holes are so cluttered that there are no throwing lanes. I enjoy playing a tight challenging course, but there are limits. There needs to be better locations to cross the creek. I will return much later after hopefully a lot of work has been done to the course. This course has potential to have 4 or 5 signature holes. But as it is now it is a waste of time.

Unfortunately...Not Impressed

1    5/22/2013   6/18/2013
Review By: Billiam
This review was updated on 6/20/2013
Pros: The property as well as the layout of the property is a great place for a great course to be built. Has a lot of potential to be another great course in the Rockwall area in addition to Harry Myers DGC. Holes 1, 7, 15, 17 were fun to play…hole 17 was awesome in my opinion! Baskets are great quality and the tee pads that had actually been poured were very nicely done.
Cons: Only 3 of the holes on the course were fun to play. Many of the holes could be made better by changing the location of the basket. Most holes seemed as if the location of the basket was forced when there seemed to be much better options for basket locations throughout the course. I felt that a few of the holes had really good potential but the basket placement completely took away from them being a challenging and rewarding hole at the same time. (e.g. Hole # 9) Also, there were about 5/6 of the holes that were missing the tee pads when I played, but I'm sure this issue will be fixed very soon. Although the property is a great peace of land for a disc golf course I felt that it needed a lot of cleaning up as far as branches/brush that were present. The majority of the bridges were very poorly made and sketchy to cross on a few of them. The location of a few of the bridges could also be put in a more convenient spot. I also found it difficult to determine the location of the baskets on quite a few holes…looking at the signs on many of the tee pads actually made it harder to determine the basket location (very misleading). On some of the shorter holes (less than ~250 ft) you could easily see the basket but the odds of making it within 30 feet of the basket were VERY SLIM (kind of missing the point of a shorter hole). In other words, some of the holes did not have a clear line of site/shot to the basket.
Other Thoughts: At first I was pumped to hear that we would be getting a new 18 hole course in the Rockwall area since Harry Myers DGC gets a lot of traffic sometimes. I have been playing disc golf for just about 6 years now and have played upwards of 30/40 courses and this course ranks at the bottom and that is why I gave such a low rating. This was a great opportunity for a great course to be built, but in my opinion I was very let down. I would tell others that want to play the course that they should not waste they're time since Harry Myers DGC is so close and is also heads and shoulders above The Cedars. Overall, this place could turn in to a much better course with some major reconstruction including basket placement, changing tee pad signs, and clearing out brush. I am interested to see how the course plays in a year or so…that is when I plan on giving it another chance. Hopefully time will help The Cedars become a better/enjoyable course to play.

Not ready to play yet.

1    5/19/2013   5/24/2013
Review By: GNARBARIAN
Pros: The front two and like the last three or four are actually in the park. They are the most playable holes on the course. I like that it is close to Harry Meyers in Rockwall and hopefully in the future it becomes playable. Would be a nice course to play on a two game day if you are in the Rockwall/Fate area once the issues are fixed.
Cons: Multiple baskets did not have the chains assembled properly. They are hanging tangled up.

Multiple tee pads were not concreted yet. They were set up to be filled in but just had bars in two by fours.

The signs did NOT match basket locations in many cases. Generally they were in the right area, but there were a few holes where we misdrove one way only to have to go back another. First timers may have a tough time finding baskets.

Since the majority of the course is freshly cut out of a heavily wooded area there are still a lot of animals and bugs to be dealt with.

I almost stepped on a water Maccasin. There are a lot of small creeks that I suspect they hang out in. The bridges were very cheaply made.

The grass was only mowed to a limited extent. They didn't manacure the edges so if you threw a disc out of bounds it was extremely hard to find. Two foot or taller grass in some cases.

The long holes became difficult to navigate where the pins were because the signs were not accuarate. Some times it was obvious where to throw, others not so much.
Other Thoughts: My group plays two or three times a week all over the DFW. One of us quit mid way through because of how frustratingly bad the course was.

I saw a couple other groups walking out of the woods early around holes 12 or 13.

Like the title says... It is not ready yet. There is much work that needs to be done. They need to mow it better and probably pull out some more trees. There are a couple holes that may need to be re done all together.

I will return in a few months to see how it evolves. There is some potential but it is not a great course today. The way it is now makes it one of the worst courses I have played.