Pine, CO
Bucksnort DGC Share
Uploaded By: ldtrainman Hole #4 (Taken 5/2013)
Hole #4 Tee: Uphill dogleg into a cave.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
countless wow moments

1    9/15/2015   9/16/2015
Review By: blazerico
Pros: I got to hole eight and realized I had been smiling the whole time I was playing. Every hole brings a new and interesting challenge, everything from tight wooded shots to extreme elevation change, to the pin being almost completely surrounded (320 degrees) by huge rocks. then there's the double reverse mando on 23 and 18 which is 204ft but plays like 67ft due to elevation drop. I kept saying wow, laughing, then oh sh!t how am I going to attack this. I paid to play alone, so I had the side of a mountain to myself for the day and it was peaceful.
Cons: for one person, the p2p is a bit costly, but it is totally worth it and I would do it again without question. I've heard ball golf fees can be triple digits, so I guess this is a bargain.
Other Thoughts: If any place deserves a spot in the top ten, it is bucksnort. I will have to reevaluate what it means to be 5/5 after playing here. Make no mistake, bucksnort is extreme adventure golf and walking around the property can be challenging, if not hazardous. If you always need good footing to throw, then you probably won't have fun here. Also, if you have bad knees, bad ankles, weak heart, etc then you may want to go elsewhere. be prepared for a long day when you go, it took me 3.5 hours, most of the time spent catching my breath.

Disc Golf Heaven or is this a Dream?

1    7/25/2015   7/27/2015
Review By: AVenta
Pros: This is a spectacular course! I have played the other mountain courses in the area (Phantom Falls, Beaver Ranch, Bailey). So, when I had the opportunity to play in a memorial tournament here I jumped at the chance. 28 holes of disc golf heaven. It's a course where one hole just gets better than the next. A delightful treat at every T box. Make no mistake, you have to bring your best game here. It is an aggressive mountain course that will chew you up and spit you out if you let it. It's steep! It's hilly. It's rocky and tight. Trees can foil any shot. You will end up in a ravine or tight predicament. There are big peak to peak shots that will make you question your resolve. You must dominate it. You must be confident in your disc and shot selection. You will need every shot (Not the long ones. This is a tighter style course.) You will shake your head and think....well, here it goes. You have never seen a course like this, anywhere, ever.
Cons: I really can't think of any.
Other Thoughts: The host's here are amazing people who truly embrace disc golf and its culture. Fantastic people.

Make no mistake, this is a world class disc golf course. Very well thought out and pro-designed. The views are worth the price of admission alone.

Good for the Sport. 4.9

1    7/6/2015   7/11/2015
Review By: Jashwa
This review was updated on 7/15/2015
Pros: Bucksnort was a very difficult course to assign a rating to. To date I've given four courses a higher rating (Idlewild, Steady Ed Headrick, West Lake Park, Wildcat Bluff), but I'd choose to play Bucksnort over those courses 100% of the time.

If you call yourself a disc golfer, then Bucksnort is going to be your wildest dream come true. Here are the many aspects of my round that made it one that I won't ever forget:

Scenery - OH. MY. GOSH. If disc golf didn't exist, and you were to simply hike through the land that Bucksnort sits on, you would still find the journey well worth your time and money. Every hole is a photo opportunity as you hike up and down the mountain. The beginning and end of the course play next to some very interesting rock formations that make for cool disc golf obstacles. The middle of the course plays out more on the edge of the mountain and offers beautiful views of the surrounding area.

Quality golf - Bucksnort is the epitome of "risk-reward" golf. There are many juicy ace runs out on the course, but if you miss on your drive, your disc could be headed down a cliff never to be seen again. Even if your drive ends up OK, you'll find that the greens of Bucksnort have enough elevation to make you think about going for the birdie (you could end up rolling 50 feet away from the basket). Hole 8 is the most memorable of these. You are throwing off a cliff down onto another cliff about 300 feet away. If your disc goes left or long, then it's gone. If it goes right, then you're taking a 5 at least. But you HAVE to go for it, because if it goes in the hole it will make for the coolest ace EVER.

Privacy - When you play Bucksnort, you rent the course out for the day. That means you can stay on hole 8's tee-pad until you GET that ace (or until all your discs are down the cliff). It also means that if you want to just sit and take in the beautiful scenery around you, you don't need to worry about someone yelling at you to get off the fairway or someone's disc conking you in the head. Lastly, it means that if you want to sing for joy at the top of your lungs, no one will look at you like you are a weirdo.

Service - The folks that run Bucksnort are extremely nice and are good for disc golf. It's clear that they are passionate about the sport, and they are true ambassadors to the game.
Cons: Since Bucksnort is easily the most memorable disc golf experience I've had to date, it doesn't really seem right to give it a rating of 4.5 when I've given other courses a 5.0. That being said, the course is not perfect. With the exception of a few holes, the tee-pads here are natural, which made for some shaky footing on a hole or two. Also, there is not much opportunity on the 28 hole course to use a bathroom, except for at the very first hole.

The tee-pads and the bathroom issues are somewhat nitpicky, but the more significant reason for the 4.5 rating is that the course does not offer championship caliber disc golf. Bucksnort is mostly a true test of your short game, and there are no real opportunities for bigger arms to let loose and rip.
Other Thoughts: The fact that this course is pay-to play should NOT be considered a con. The revenue that this course generates is used to keep the course running and improving, so I actually felt like I was getting a great deal.

Make a trip out of it by devoting another day to visiting Phantom Falls course!

Oh my lord! This course is incredible.

1    6/22/2015   7/7/2015
Review By: Jonny T
This review was updated on 8/4/2015
Pros: The course sits on top of Bucksnort Mountain. There are incredible views, super technical variety on a lot of shots for almost every hole, and really creative pin placement. There are several pins that sit on cliffs, so distance miscalculations can cost several hundred feet and multiple strokes on some puts. If you find yourself in CO, this course is a must. I can't imagine that there is a better DG course on Earth. The elevation change exists on every hole, and several pin placements are so close to steep ledges and cliffs that you could loose a disc putting. There is no better DG experience out there.
Cons: No major cons. As some reviews have mentioned, there is a minimal fee of $20, but the experience far outweighs this small cost. Hole Number 8 has some treacherous hiking conditions, and a mountain lion home near the cliff to the left of the pin.
Other Thoughts: Play this course!

Bucksnort-What I thought.

2-4    5/21/2015   7/4/2015
Review By: sidetrack
Pros: Amazing and unique course. Basket locations and never seen situations that take advantage of the beautiful property. This is a Big Risk/Reward course. If you run it and miss, it could cause a few extra strokes. I love the elevation changes and the natural(not over cleared) layout. Fresh water provided at the multiple rest spots. They also have benches with trash cans every couple of holes. The calmness is amazing when you are the only people there. Play fast, slow, throw multiple disc, take pics, and enjoy your buzz with peace of mind! Great arrow system that makes navigating a new course nice and easy. Its worth the money once and a must play for any serious player. Decide yourself about how to rate it based on what you want from a course. I loved it. Lowell and his wife are a blessing to make it possible and allow others to share the joy of this private course. Pauly is great, thorough, and has help design a lot of courses local to that area that you should consider while in the area.
Cons: Natural inconsistent tee pads but great basket/next tee pad arrow system.
A few crossing fairways but that is why only one group a day is allowed to play.
4 person minimum at $ 20.00 per player($80 minimum)(we only had three in our group,so we split 80.00 three ways).
Once you go in the property you can't leave and come back so go overly prepared for a full all day workout.(water,food,ext.)
Had to decide whether to play Bucksnort or phantom falls next door. We only had one day in that area. We would have had to reserve in advance and pay for reserving both courses to play one round at each bucksnort and phantomfalls on the same day.($160.00) for three people is too much when the other course was not in use. That was harsh after spending a $100.00 in the pro shop and covering the 80 bucks for a round.
Other Thoughts: Seems expensive,but for a vacation/resort experience that cost alot to maintain the property at the amazing condition it is makes it worth it for a one time experience. I will come back and try to bring people with me. They have a decent pro shop at Pauly's house with lots of Buck snort stamped plastic and lots of shirts. You will need a descent SUV/truck to get up there in the mud season! Respect the property, have the experience, and decide. I would not care for it as a local, but will indulge as a vacationing patron.

Best Course I've Ever Played

2-4    9/28/2014   6/22/2015
Review By: iconoclastes
Pros: There is no getting around it, this is the best course I've ever played.
*amazing scenery
*superb basket placement and course design
*well maintained
*difficult yet playable for anyone and everyone
*a few ace runs
Cons: *none what-so-ever
Other Thoughts: This is the course to plan a trip around. Reserve it, and plan the rest of your trip to the area which has plenty of great courses. This is the course you never forget playing. Bring your camera, bring your friends, and bring your game.

My #1

1    6/7/2015   6/9/2015
Review By: jasonrigler
This review was updated on 6/11/2015
Pros: Very clean, disc golf focused, very well marked, unique challenges, amazing scenery. 28 holes. Lots of personality. The hosts are wonderful.
Cons: Every course could be "better". That will also be affected by individual preferences. I wouldn't change a thing about this course. OK 1 thing. I'd like to see distances on every hole. Maybe not the best course if you are really out of shape or if you are accident prone.
Other Thoughts: This is a destination course for any disc golfer. My absolute favorite course to date of the 57 courses i have played. $20 is a small price to play to have the 28 holes to yourself for the day. And to share this day with 3 or more friends is the pinnacle of casual disc golf. This may not be the best course to determine the best players in our sport, but it is a course that will challenge and inspire you and remind you that disc golf is you against the course. Playing all day here with friends will be one of the best experiences of your disc golf adventure. It is listed as an intermediate course. I'm 930 rated player, new to this type of elevation and geography, and I was very challenged. I think if I played it a few times I could score well. It is a very risk reward course that challenges you mentally as well as in your selection and placement.

There are 3 "lounges" on the course that I remember. The teepads are in fine shape. It rained briefly during my round and it did not adversely affect play. Each basket and next tee is well marked. The Space Rock was a highlight for me. Walking down the other side of that rock can put you on edge literally and figuratively.

2-4    4/12/2015   5/25/2015
Review By: d rock
Pros: Exclusive to your party!! Great course! Challenging holes and great scenery. Fresh water located throughout the course in 5 gal jugs. Play at your own pace.
Cons: No camping.... :(
Other Thoughts: Bring a LARGE group it's a lot of fun here.

Takes Par 3 to the limit!

1    9/8/2014   5/19/2015
Review By: sillybizz
This review was updated on 5/23/2015
Pros: Like in my title, this course takes par 3 holes to the maximum amount of challenge and fun. Just about every hole on this course has some kind of interesting quirk to it be it throwing off a giant boulder that resembles the surface of the moon or a short pitch through a crack in a rock leading up to a basket in a cave. The basket in the wooded building with literally a window (no glass) to throw through was the first time I've ever seen that. Every hole here is unique in its own way and there are several up/down holes and multiple fairways; this course keeps your attention and holds it well, no boring throws here.

Pauley's preparation for players playing here should be considered the gold standard for all private courses. His cheat sheet/score card combo is invaluable and impressive. It has par, length, elevation gain/loss, hole notes, navigational tools, etc. on it. He also has fabulous next tee markers and my personal favorite basket markers for those few and far between blind basket placements. Although most baskets can be seen directly in front of you from the tee pad they are in no means straight forward and several times you won't be able to (or not want to) go straight at the basket.
Cons: Some longer holes and variety in par would make the course more challenging, perhaps another set of tee pads or even several more added tee pads could accomplish this. Some nit picky things could be more trash bins, benches, bathrooms, etc. etc. but aren't needed in my opinion (but would be nice) and probably wouldn't bring up my rating or thoughts on the course. The greens fee doesn't bother me as a destination course but I'm sure locals would love a seasonal pass of some sort if they want to play it regularly but I'm sure Pauley does it the way he does to keep the crowds down and I can't blame him too much for that considering it's not a public course and you aren't allowed to come and go as you please.
Other Thoughts: My dad and I haven't stopped talking about our trip to Colorado since last year and I have been slowly working on my reviews for them for months now. We're in the stages of planning our trip this year and are planning on heading to Minneapolis but we have had some serious discussions about going back to Colorado, some day I will move here. I highly recommend playing both Phantom Falls and Bucksnort, don't worry about the steep greens fee it's totally worth the money for a unique and fun experience.

If I were to have my own property like this I would have done almost exactly the same thing that Pauley has done. He's a great host and ambassador for our sport.

Bucksnort FTW

1    5/13/2015   5/14/2015
Review By: redman2112
Pros: Awesome views
All kinds of shots
Water provided along the course
2 rain/sun shelters
Lots and lots of benches
NO crowds
The course is all yours for the entire day!
Cons: Remoteness
$20 price tag
Dirt tee pads, but hey, it's up in the mountains. I sure ain't dragging cement bags and water out to some of these tee spots.
Other Thoughts: The tee pads, while dirt, are very maintained and level. They are also plenty long enough. You don't have to stand within the 3ft beams placed at the end of the tee pad. Those are just a guide for where it does end.
A destination course! Make the effort and you WILL be rewarded!

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5