Pine, CO
Bucksnort DGC Share
Uploaded By: ldtrainman Hole #10 (Taken 6/2013)

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Bucksnort-What I thought.

2-4    5/21/2015   7/4/2015
Review By: sidetrack
Pros: Amazing and unique course. Basket locations and never seen situations that take advantage of the beautiful property. This is a Big Risk/Reward course. If you run it and miss, it could cause a few extra strokes. I love the elevation changes and the natural(not over cleared) layout. Fresh water provided at the multiple rest spots. They also have benches with trash cans every couple of holes. The calmness is amazing when you are the only people there. Play fast, slow, throw multiple disc, take pics, and enjoy your buzz with peace of mind! Great arrow system that makes navigating a new course nice and easy. Its worth the money once and a must play for any serious player. Decide yourself about how to rate it based on what you want from a course. I loved it. Lowell and his wife are a blessing to make it possible and allow others to share the joy of this private course. Pauly is great, thorough, and has help design a lot of courses local to that area that you should consider while in the area.
Cons: Natural inconsistent tee pads but great basket/next tee pad arrow system.
A few crossing fairways but that is why only one group a day is allowed to play.
4 person minimum at $ 20.00 per player($80 minimum)(we only had three in our group,so we split 80.00 three ways).
Once you go in the property you can't leave and come back so go overly prepared for a full all day workout.(water,food,ext.)
Had to decide whether to play Bucksnort or phantom falls next door. We only had one day in that area. We would have had to reserve in advance and pay for reserving both courses to play one round at each bucksnort and phantomfalls on the same day.($160.00) for three people is too much when the other course was not in use. That was harsh after spending a $100.00 in the pro shop and covering the 80 bucks for a round.
Other Thoughts: Seems expensive,but for a vacation/resort experience that cost alot to maintain the property at the amazing condition it is makes it worth it for a one time experience. I will come back and try to bring people with me. They have a decent pro shop at Pauly's house with lots of Buck snort stamped plastic and lots of shirts. You will need a descent SUV/truck to get up there in the mud season! Respect the property, have the experience, and decide. I would not care for it as a local, but will indulge as a vacationing patron.

Best Course I've Ever Played

2-4    9/28/2014   6/22/2015
Review By: iconoclastes
Pros: There is no getting around it, this is the best course I've ever played.
*amazing scenery
*superb basket placement and course design
*well maintained
*difficult yet playable for anyone and everyone
*a few ace runs
Cons: *none what-so-ever
Other Thoughts: This is the course to plan a trip around. Reserve it, and plan the rest of your trip to the area which has plenty of great courses. This is the course you never forget playing. Bring your camera, bring your friends, and bring your game.

My #1

1    6/7/2015   6/9/2015
Review By: jasonrigler
This review was updated on 6/11/2015
Pros: Very clean, disc golf focused, very well marked, unique challenges, amazing scenery. 28 holes. Lots of personality. The hosts are wonderful.
Cons: Every course could be "better". That will also be affected by individual preferences. I wouldn't change a thing about this course. OK 1 thing. I'd like to see distances on every hole. Maybe not the best course if you are really out of shape or if you are accident prone.
Other Thoughts: This is a destination course for any disc golfer. My absolute favorite course to date of the 57 courses i have played. $20 is a small price to play to have the 28 holes to yourself for the day. And to share this day with 3 or more friends is the pinnacle of casual disc golf. This may not be the best course to determine the best players in our sport, but it is a course that will challenge and inspire you and remind you that disc golf is you against the course. Playing all day here with friends will be one of the best experiences of your disc golf adventure. It is listed as an intermediate course. I'm 930 rated player, new to this type of elevation and geography, and I was very challenged. I think if I played it a few times I could score well. It is a very risk reward course that challenges you mentally as well as in your selection and placement.

There are 3 "lounges" on the course that I remember. The teepads are in fine shape. It rained briefly during my round and it did not adversely affect play. Each basket and next tee is well marked. The Space Rock was a highlight for me. Walking down the other side of that rock can put you on edge literally and figuratively.

Awesome!!!!

2-4    4/12/2015   5/25/2015
Review By: d rock
Pros: Exclusive to your party!! Great course! Challenging holes and great scenery. Fresh water located throughout the course in 5 gal jugs. Play at your own pace.
Cons: No camping.... :(
Other Thoughts: Bring a LARGE group it's a lot of fun here.

Takes Par 3 to the limit!

1    9/8/2014   5/19/2015
Review By: sillybizz
This review was updated on 5/23/2015
Pros: Like in my title, this course takes par 3 holes to the maximum amount of challenge and fun. Just about every hole on this course has some kind of interesting quirk to it be it throwing off a giant boulder that resembles the surface of the moon or a short pitch through a crack in a rock leading up to a basket in a cave. The basket in the wooded building with literally a window (no glass) to throw through was the first time I've ever seen that. Every hole here is unique in its own way and there are several up/down holes and multiple fairways; this course keeps your attention and holds it well, no boring throws here.

Pauley's preparation for players playing here should be considered the gold standard for all private courses. His cheat sheet/score card combo is invaluable and impressive. It has par, length, elevation gain/loss, hole notes, navigational tools, etc. on it. He also has fabulous next tee markers and my personal favorite basket markers for those few and far between blind basket placements. Although most baskets can be seen directly in front of you from the tee pad they are in no means straight forward and several times you won't be able to (or not want to) go straight at the basket.
Cons: Some longer holes and variety in par would make the course more challenging, perhaps another set of tee pads or even several more added tee pads could accomplish this. Some nit picky things could be more trash bins, benches, bathrooms, etc. etc. but aren't needed in my opinion (but would be nice) and probably wouldn't bring up my rating or thoughts on the course. The greens fee doesn't bother me as a destination course but I'm sure locals would love a seasonal pass of some sort if they want to play it regularly but I'm sure Pauley does it the way he does to keep the crowds down and I can't blame him too much for that considering it's not a public course and you aren't allowed to come and go as you please.
Other Thoughts: My dad and I haven't stopped talking about our trip to Colorado since last year and I have been slowly working on my reviews for them for months now. We're in the stages of planning our trip this year and are planning on heading to Minneapolis but we have had some serious discussions about going back to Colorado, some day I will move here. I highly recommend playing both Phantom Falls and Bucksnort, don't worry about the steep greens fee it's totally worth the money for a unique and fun experience.

If I were to have my own property like this I would have done almost exactly the same thing that Pauley has done. He's a great host and ambassador for our sport.

Bucksnort FTW

1    5/13/2015   5/14/2015
Review By: redman2112
Pros: Awesome views
All kinds of shots
Water provided along the course
2 rain/sun shelters
Lots and lots of benches
NO crowds
The course is all yours for the entire day!
Cons: Remoteness
$20 price tag
Dirt tee pads, but hey, it's up in the mountains. I sure ain't dragging cement bags and water out to some of these tee spots.
Other Thoughts: The tee pads, while dirt, are very maintained and level. They are also plenty long enough. You don't have to stand within the 3ft beams placed at the end of the tee pad. Those are just a guide for where it does end.
A destination course! Make the effort and you WILL be rewarded!

It's like disc golf putt-putt

2-4    4/23/2015   5/12/2015
Review By: TywinL
This review was updated on 6/18/2015
Pros: Beautiful scenery in all directions

Nice newer baskets

Cons: Natural teepads

Only one pin position

Gimmicky holes

Short

Only one group allowed
Other Thoughts: Speaking objectively, Bucksnort is a VERY good course, and you should play it and make up your own mind. Personally I don't like it at all, but I'm trying to follow the rules for an objective review, and under those rules it's better than a 3.5 star course, but nowhere near a 4 star course. There is a lot of room for improvement, and I'm hoping they course owners will take advantage of that, but again this should never be rated a 5 based on it's GLARING shortcomings.

First off, this is a course that only allows one group out at a time because that's all you could safely have on the course. This is an issue for me, as I enjoy the social aspect of disc golf much more than any other part.

Second, this course is gimmicky. The hanging basket is cool, but still gimmicky, and the basket hidden in the cave (#4) is a lawsuit waiting to happen. I kept expecting to have to putt through a windmill or some similar nonsense

Third, if you're going to have natural tees, make them long enough to accommodate everyone. I understand that concrete is expensive, but there's no reason for short natural tees.

I'm sure this review will mean I won't be welcomed back to Bucksnort or Phantom, but that's ok. I've already decided I'm done with two of the most over-hyped, over-rated courses you'll ever play. I can't decide if the (in my opinion) over-inflated ratings are a product of Paulie being a nice guy, or if I'm just a wierdo who doesn't know how to have fun, but these courses aren't for me.

Annual Trip

1    11/3/2014   4/10/2015
Review By: Ckab610
Pros: This course is amazing! From beautiful 360 views to holes that are not only creative but super challenging Bucksnort has it all! Pauly was amazing and super helpful and welcoming when we had arrived we were originally supposed to play phantom falls but the tee time for bucksnort had opened up for the day and he recommended that instead. Boy was he right this course has it all from baskets inside of a cave to baskets on top of 3 acre rock! Was stunned with the beauty of it all. Nicest part is booking your tee time so that you and your playing partners have the whole course to yourself all day and can play at whatever pace you would like. Pauly's system makes the course extremely easy to navigate and takes the stress of finding the next tee away. Blind shots are marked with big arrows to help you know where to shoot without walking halfway down the fairway! Pauly has developed a great system for first time players on the course.
Cons: There were not really any cons that I could think of for this course its an experience unlike any other course. Called for a tee time this year and Pauly said that the price has been raised to $20 per person but a very minimal cost for an epic day and stated that the money will go to course upkeep so don't mind paying the extra money.
Other Thoughts: Loved spending the whole day at this course we managed to play just below four whole rounds from an early start right up until sunrise and have already booked a tee time for my birthday coming up this summer. Would recommend to anyone wanting to just spend a day in solitude from other disc golfers and just be with who you came with!

Breathtakingly Amazing!

2-4    9/26/2014   1/25/2015
Review By: Money_Shot
Pros: -Hands down the most scenic course I have ever laid eyes on. I have paged through course after course on this website and have looked for the most beautiful landscapes I can find, but nothing seems to come remotely close to this experience on a remote course in the Colorado Rockies. Flat out disc golf paradise.

-Paulie is extremely nice and very helpful with his pregame briefing

-This course is a one group per day course, giving you your own primo course in the Rockies. You will want to just sit at some of the stops and ask yourself if you really are playing disc golf there. Breathtaking is the only word that describes this course, well worth the fee that is charged.

-Beyond the unbelievable views, this course offers a wide variety of every kind of shot with exception to involving water. There are extreme uphill throws, extreme downhill throws, extreme level throws involving cliffs around the basket, right to left fairways, left to right fairways, throws off rock slaps, throws onto rock slabs, and throws into caves.

-Although the hole distances on this course are rather short, there is no way anyone would want too much length considering the risks involved with many shots on this course. 500+ ft holes would be no fun if involving extreme cliff dropoffs etc. the distances offered on this course are very much suitable for the terrain and make for an extremely fun, appropriate portioned course. Although the holes are shorter in length, when adding the uphill throw to the equation they throw much longer than their distance indicates. Guys who simply only have or want the big arm throws can have fun doing that on some other one-dimensional course. Having only a few lengthy holes seems appropriate for how this course plays.

-Are you going to Colorado? Do you like disc? If you answered yes to those questions and you don't book a tee time on this course you will be missing your shot at playing your new number 1 course. Unbelievable.

-Although the terrain can make it difficult to know where you are going, paulie has put in a sure fire system to easily locate each basket, whether visible or not. That way you don't have to trudge up and down needless slopes just trying to find out where you are supposed to be throwing.

-You receive a map at the start with special instructions and tips for each hole in locating the basket as well as where to throw and not throw. I definitely recommend referencing this material throughout the course

-Nice rest areas throughout the course that allow you to chill overlooking mountain valleys and streams. The scenery here is unrivaled by any other course i have played.
Cons: - You are in the mountains, the slopes can get to you but there are plenty of rest spots for you to sit back on a couch and enjoy the scenery, whether you are tired or not. This course is amazing.

-Although nobody in our group had an issue with footing, the pads here are natural, which i could see being an issue from time to time. In general i also want to say i remember a few of the pads being a bit short but nothing ridiculous.

-I live several states away from this course.

-Landowners, although willing to give it consideration, decided they would not adopt myself and other members of my group.
Other Thoughts: -I never would have thought something so perfect would exist for disc golfers to experience. My group had total access to this course in September and we were all blown away. Although I have not traveled around the country playing every course imaginable, I do have quite a few years of DG experience and have done countless hours of research looking for the next best place to travel to and throw disc. With that in mind, I honestly feel like everything I look at from this point forward is a step back when compared to Bucksnort. This course truly is amazing, and as another reviewer said, you will not believe it until you go and play it. The pictures don't even do the course justice. Go play this course as soon as you can unless you don't want to knock your old favorite from the top of the list. You will be blown away by this disc golf masterpiece that many thought only existed in heaven. I'm just glad we got to play it before some other jack***** ruin it for everyone else. Please respect all rules and the fact that this is on private land so the next time I go back to Colorado I can play this course again. Plan to spend the full day here as well, you will not feel like leaving once you get there, I can assure you of that. I haven't seen a better course even in my dreams. Bring your camera or you will regret it.
-I'm confident the only way someone could rate this course low is if they had never thrown it . If you have played this course and can legitimately reference me to another course you have played with better scenery please send me a message and let me know where i have to book my next trip. As of now, nothing competes with Bucksnort from what i have either researched or personally played.

Bucksnort Beats Them All

1    10/22/2014   10/27/2014
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Pan, the horned god of the wilderness, with his goat hooves, would be perfectly happy playing his pipes on the scenic slopes of Bucksnort DGC. The most visually impressive course I have ever played, and perhaps my new favorite course. A rare perfect 5 best of the best, rivaled only by Nockamixon and Maple Hill in my top 3. There are so many fun holes, and booking with Paulie gets you exclusive access for the day. You will want to play it more than once. A bit of physical exertion climbing up and down steep mountain slopes repeatedly, but my 62 year old Dad hung in and walked the entire thing, with a couple of stops at the designated water stations for a beer and a smoke break. Free to enjoy all of the finest things Colorado has to offer, at our own pace. We took 2.5 hours to fully complete the circuit, taking a couple of extended breaks to enjoy the scenery, the peace and quite, and catch our breaths after a few of the longer uphill climbs. From the first tee you can see you are in for a treat. Paulie led us up the mountain to the parking area and gave an entertaining and informative rundown of the course features, design philosophy, rules, potential hazards, and other highlights. He also provides a scorecard, and a laminated map, with tips and stats for each hole. I could hardly wait to throw as I listened to the introductory explanation of the course on that first bench. A large rock formation backs the first basket, and will later form part of the cave where the basket is located on hole 4. I managed to hit rock near the cave entrance and roll downhill 3 times, taking a 6. Really cool hole anyway, especially with the wooden basket at the top of those stairs. The throne, a rock backing the hole 5 basket, is very cool also. It is on a tricky downhill run that you don't want to over throw. Hole 7 is great too, downhill a long way to a pin location out on the moon rock, a gigantic granite boulder. Hole 8 tees from the top of this behemoth, to basket over 60 feet below near the base. I knew the wind and large drop in elevation would push my drive toward the dangerous cliff left of the basket. I still failed to aim far enough right, and sailed two drivers way left. I threw a third tee shot with a putter on a direct line, and it was my best attempt, but luckily I was able to recover both drivers and play my first drive. 9 and 11 are the only two baskets you can not see from the tee (except for 4, the cave hole). There is a magnificent view of Pine Valley after hole 15 and the water station. Other unusual pin locations include inside a paintball shelter, putting through the window, a hanging basket in a crazy old dead tree, and one placed atop a large boulder. Elements are expertly utilized and blended resulting in hole after hole of disc golf bliss. The only time I didn't make par after 8, was when I missed the double reverse mando on hole 18, and took a circle 5. The only hole I made birdie on was 20, but I had chances on a few others, and feel like I could shoot way better than the 11 over par 77 I ended up with. Every hole is amazing in its own way. I liked the idiot-proof arrows indicating pin location on the 3 blind holes, and leading transitions in between holes make it very friendly to newcomers.
Cons: You must contact Paulie and make a reservation to play this course. A release form must be signed, and there is a fee, but it is well worth it, trust me. If you can't do without concrete tees, you are out of luck. One is the only box that block pavers, the rest are nice and level, but dirt. The baskets and signs aren't the highest quality. In time some improvements may be made. There are some long holes and doglegs, but no par 4 holes. Lacking the super long holes featured on many top courses. Smoking is prohibited outside the designated areas at the beginning, and after holes 6 and 15. These really are not big cons, but may not be ideal for some.
Other Thoughts: Bucksnort is a disc golf experience that is unlike any other I have had. An incredible course, fun and challenging, and entirely to ourselves for a day. The weather was perfect, and the course is immaculate. There is another course being installed on these grounds, with unusual chimed targets. An ideal course, having drastic changes in elevation, and wooded fairways as my favorite courses usually do. As the finishing touches are put in place, it is sure to remain one of the best around. I will certainly return as soon as possible for another round here, and a shot at the many other high rated courses nearby.

< Prev 1 2 3 4