Pine, CO
Bucksnort DGC Share
Uploaded By: ldtrainman Hole #4 (Taken 5/2013)
Hole #4 Tee: Uphill dogleg into a cave.

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Awesome!!!!

2-4    4/12/2015   5/25/2015
Review By: d rock
Pros: Exclusive to your party!! Great course! Challenging holes and great scenery. Fresh water located throughout the course in 5 gal jugs. Play at your own pace.
Cons: No camping.... :(
Other Thoughts: Bring a LARGE group it's a lot of fun here.

Takes Par 3 to the limit!

1    9/8/2014   5/19/2015
Review By: sillybizz
This review was updated on 5/23/2015
Pros: Like in my title, this course takes par 3 holes to the maximum amount of challenge and fun. Just about every hole on this course has some kind of interesting quirk to it be it throwing off a giant boulder that resembles the surface of the moon or a short pitch through a crack in a rock leading up to a basket in a cave. The basket in the wooded building with literally a window (no glass) to throw through was the first time I've ever seen that. Every hole here is unique in its own way and there are several up/down holes and multiple fairways; this course keeps your attention and holds it well, no boring throws here.

Pauley's preparation for players playing here should be considered the gold standard for all private courses. His cheat sheet/score card combo is invaluable and impressive. It has par, length, elevation gain/loss, hole notes, navigational tools, etc. on it. He also has fabulous next tee markers and my personal favorite basket markers for those few and far between blind basket placements. Although most baskets can be seen directly in front of you from the tee pad they are in no means straight forward and several times you won't be able to (or not want to) go straight at the basket.
Cons: Some longer holes and variety in par would make the course more challenging, perhaps another set of tee pads or even several more added tee pads could accomplish this. Some nit picky things could be more trash bins, benches, bathrooms, etc. etc. but aren't needed in my opinion (but would be nice) and probably wouldn't bring up my rating or thoughts on the course. The greens fee doesn't bother me as a destination course but I'm sure locals would love a seasonal pass of some sort if they want to play it regularly but I'm sure Pauley does it the way he does to keep the crowds down and I can't blame him too much for that considering it's not a public course and you aren't allowed to come and go as you please.
Other Thoughts: My dad and I haven't stopped talking about our trip to Colorado since last year and I have been slowly working on my reviews for them for months now. We're in the stages of planning our trip this year and are planning on heading to Minneapolis but we have had some serious discussions about going back to Colorado, some day I will move here. I highly recommend playing both Phantom Falls and Bucksnort, don't worry about the steep greens fee it's totally worth the money for a unique and fun experience.

If I were to have my own property like this I would have done almost exactly the same thing that Pauley has done. He's a great host and ambassador for our sport.

Bucksnort FTW

1    5/13/2015   5/14/2015
Review By: redman2112
Pros: Awesome views
All kinds of shots
Water provided along the course
2 rain/sun shelters
Lots and lots of benches
NO crowds
The course is all yours for the entire day!
Cons: Remoteness
$20 price tag
Dirt tee pads, but hey, it's up in the mountains. I sure ain't dragging cement bags and water out to some of these tee spots.
Other Thoughts: The tee pads, while dirt, are very maintained and level. They are also plenty long enough. You don't have to stand within the 3ft beams placed at the end of the tee pad. Those are just a guide for where it does end.
A destination course! Make the effort and you WILL be rewarded!

It's like disc golf putt-putt

2-4    4/23/2015   5/12/2015
Review By: TywinL
Pros: Beautiful scenery in all directions

Nice newer baskets

Cons: Natural teepads

Only one pin position

Gimmicky holes

Short

Only one group allowed
Other Thoughts: Speaking objectively, Bucksnort is a VERY good course, and you should play it and make up your own mind. Personally I don't like it at all, but I'm trying to follow the rules for an objective review, and under those rules it's better than a 3.5 star course, but nowhere near a 4 star course. There is a lot of room for improvement, and I'm hoping they course owners will take advantage of that, but again this should never be rated a 5 based on it's GLARING shortcomings.

First off, this is a course that only allows one group out at a time because that's all you could safely have on the course. This is an issue for me, as I enjoy the social aspect of disc golf much more than any other part.

Second, this course is gimmicky. The hanging basket is cool, but still gimmicky, and the basket hidden in the cave (#4) is a lawsuit waiting to happen. I kept expecting to have to putt through a windmill or some similar nonsense

Third, if you're going to have natural tees, make them long enough to accommodate everyone. I understand that concrete is expensive, but there's no reason for short natural tees.

I'm sure this review will mean I won't be welcomed back to Bucksnort or Phantom, but that's ok. I've already decided I'm done with two of the most over-hyped, over-rated courses you'll ever play. I can't decide if the (in my opinion) over-inflated ratings are a product of Paulie being a nice guy, or if I'm just a wierdo who doesn't know how to have fun, but these courses aren't for me.

Annual Trip

1    11/3/2014   4/10/2015
Review By: Ckab610
Pros: This course is amazing! From beautiful 360 views to holes that are not only creative but super challenging Bucksnort has it all! Pauly was amazing and super helpful and welcoming when we had arrived we were originally supposed to play phantom falls but the tee time for bucksnort had opened up for the day and he recommended that instead. Boy was he right this course has it all from baskets inside of a cave to baskets on top of 3 acre rock! Was stunned with the beauty of it all. Nicest part is booking your tee time so that you and your playing partners have the whole course to yourself all day and can play at whatever pace you would like. Pauly's system makes the course extremely easy to navigate and takes the stress of finding the next tee away. Blind shots are marked with big arrows to help you know where to shoot without walking halfway down the fairway! Pauly has developed a great system for first time players on the course.
Cons: There were not really any cons that I could think of for this course its an experience unlike any other course. Called for a tee time this year and Pauly said that the price has been raised to $20 per person but a very minimal cost for an epic day and stated that the money will go to course upkeep so don't mind paying the extra money.
Other Thoughts: Loved spending the whole day at this course we managed to play just below four whole rounds from an early start right up until sunrise and have already booked a tee time for my birthday coming up this summer. Would recommend to anyone wanting to just spend a day in solitude from other disc golfers and just be with who you came with!

Breathtakingly Amazing!

2-4    9/26/2014   1/25/2015
Review By: Money_Shot
Pros: -Hands down the most scenic course I have ever laid eyes on. I have paged through course after course on this website and have looked for the most beautiful landscapes I can find, but nothing seems to come remotely close to this experience on a remote course in the Colorado Rockies. Flat out disc golf paradise.

-Paulie is extremely nice and very helpful with his pregame briefing

-This course is a one group per day course, giving you your own primo course in the Rockies. You will want to just sit at some of the stops and ask yourself if you really are playing disc golf there. Breathtaking is the only word that describes this course, well worth the fee that is charged.

-Beyond the unbelievable views, this course offers a wide variety of every kind of shot with exception to involving water. There are extreme uphill throws, extreme downhill throws, extreme level throws involving cliffs around the basket, right to left fairways, left to right fairways, throws off rock slaps, throws onto rock slabs, and throws into caves.

-Although the hole distances on this course are rather short, there is no way anyone would want too much length considering the risks involved with many shots on this course. 500+ ft holes would be no fun if involving extreme cliff dropoffs etc. the distances offered on this course are very much suitable for the terrain and make for an extremely fun, appropriate portioned course. Although the holes are shorter in length, when adding the uphill throw to the equation they throw much longer than their distance indicates. Guys who simply only have or want the big arm throws can have fun doing that on some other one-dimensional course. Having only a few lengthy holes seems appropriate for how this course plays.

-Are you going to Colorado? Do you like disc? If you answered yes to those questions and you don't book a tee time on this course you will be missing your shot at playing your new number 1 course. Unbelievable.

-Although the terrain can make it difficult to know where you are going, paulie has put in a sure fire system to easily locate each basket, whether visible or not. That way you don't have to trudge up and down needless slopes just trying to find out where you are supposed to be throwing.

-You receive a map at the start with special instructions and tips for each hole in locating the basket as well as where to throw and not throw. I definitely recommend referencing this material throughout the course

-Nice rest areas throughout the course that allow you to chill overlooking mountain valleys and streams. The scenery here is unrivaled by any other course i have played.
Cons: - You are in the mountains, the slopes can get to you but there are plenty of rest spots for you to sit back on a couch and enjoy the scenery, whether you are tired or not. This course is amazing.

-Although nobody in our group had an issue with footing, the pads here are natural, which i could see being an issue from time to time. In general i also want to say i remember a few of the pads being a bit short but nothing ridiculous.

-I live several states away from this course.

-Landowners, although willing to give it consideration, decided they would not adopt myself and other members of my group.
Other Thoughts: -I never would have thought something so perfect would exist for disc golfers to experience. My group had total access to this course in September and we were all blown away. Although I have not traveled around the country playing every course imaginable, I do have quite a few years of DG experience and have done countless hours of research looking for the next best place to travel to and throw disc. With that in mind, I honestly feel like everything I look at from this point forward is a step back when compared to Bucksnort. This course truly is amazing, and as another reviewer said, you will not believe it until you go and play it. The pictures don't even do the course justice. Go play this course as soon as you can unless you don't want to knock your old favorite from the top of the list. You will be blown away by this disc golf masterpiece that many thought only existed in heaven. I'm just glad we got to play it before some other jack***** ruin it for everyone else. Please respect all rules and the fact that this is on private land so the next time I go back to Colorado I can play this course again. Plan to spend the full day here as well, you will not feel like leaving once you get there, I can assure you of that. I haven't seen a better course even in my dreams. Bring your camera or you will regret it.
-I'm confident the only way someone could rate this course low is if they had never thrown it . If you have played this course and can legitimately reference me to another course you have played with better scenery please send me a message and let me know where i have to book my next trip. As of now, nothing competes with Bucksnort from what i have either researched or personally played.

Bucksnort Beats Them All

1    10/22/2014   10/27/2014
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Pan, the horned god of the wilderness, with his goat hooves, would be perfectly happy playing his pipes on the scenic slopes of Bucksnort DGC. The most visually impressive course I have ever played, and perhaps my new favorite course. A rare perfect 5 best of the best, rivaled only by Nockamixon and Maple Hill in my top 3. There are so many fun holes, and booking with Paulie gets you exclusive access for the day. You will want to play it more than once. A bit of physical exertion climbing up and down steep mountain slopes repeatedly, but my 62 year old Dad hung in and walked the entire thing, with a couple of stops at the designated water stations for a beer and a smoke break. Free to enjoy all of the finest things Colorado has to offer, at our own pace. We took 2.5 hours to fully complete the circuit, taking a couple of extended breaks to enjoy the scenery, the peace and quite, and catch our breaths after a few of the longer uphill climbs. From the first tee you can see you are in for a treat. Paulie led us up the mountain to the parking area and gave an entertaining and informative rundown of the course features, design philosophy, rules, potential hazards, and other highlights. He also provides a scorecard, and a laminated map, with tips and stats for each hole. I could hardly wait to throw as I listened to the introductory explanation of the course on that first bench. A large rock formation backs the first basket, and will later form part of the cave where the basket is located on hole 4. I managed to hit rock near the cave entrance and roll downhill 3 times, taking a 6. Really cool hole anyway, especially with the wooden basket at the top of those stairs. The throne, a rock backing the hole 5 basket, is very cool also. It is on a tricky downhill run that you don't want to over throw. Hole 7 is great too, downhill a long way to a pin location out on the moon rock, a gigantic granite boulder. Hole 8 tees from the top of this behemoth, to basket over 60 feet below near the base. I knew the wind and large drop in elevation would push my drive toward the dangerous cliff left of the basket. I still failed to aim far enough right, and sailed two drivers way left. I threw a third tee shot with a putter on a direct line, and it was my best attempt, but luckily I was able to recover both drivers and play my first drive. 9 and 11 are the only two baskets you can not see from the tee (except for 4, the cave hole). There is a magnificent view of Pine Valley after hole 15 and the water station. Other unusual pin locations include inside a paintball shelter, putting through the window, a hanging basket in a crazy old dead tree, and one placed atop a large boulder. Elements are expertly utilized and blended resulting in hole after hole of disc golf bliss. The only time I didn't make par after 8, was when I missed the double reverse mando on hole 18, and took a circle 5. The only hole I made birdie on was 20, but I had chances on a few others, and feel like I could shoot way better than the 11 over par 77 I ended up with. Every hole is amazing in its own way. I liked the idiot-proof arrows indicating pin location on the 3 blind holes, and leading transitions in between holes make it very friendly to newcomers.
Cons: You must contact Paulie and make a reservation to play this course. A release form must be signed, and there is a fee, but it is well worth it, trust me. If you can't do without concrete tees, you are out of luck. One is the only box that block pavers, the rest are nice and level, but dirt. The baskets and signs aren't the highest quality. In time some improvements may be made. There are some long holes and doglegs, but no par 4 holes. Lacking the super long holes featured on many top courses. Smoking is prohibited outside the designated areas at the beginning, and after holes 6 and 15. These really are not big cons, but may not be ideal for some.
Other Thoughts: Bucksnort is a disc golf experience that is unlike any other I have had. An incredible course, fun and challenging, and entirely to ourselves for a day. The weather was perfect, and the course is immaculate. There is another course being installed on these grounds, with unusual chimed targets. An ideal course, having drastic changes in elevation, and wooded fairways as my favorite courses usually do. As the finishing touches are put in place, it is sure to remain one of the best around. I will certainly return as soon as possible for another round here, and a shot at the many other high rated courses nearby.

Unbelievable

2-4    9/28/2014   10/21/2014
Review By: Tom Z
Pros: course is yours. Enjoy the views. They are spectacular. I've played about 30 courses in about 8 states and have never seen such a beautiful setting.

This course gets high rating because of the Disc Golf Course not the amenities.

Every hole has a unique feature. And I mean EVERY hole. It would take pages to describe them all. Let me just say, play the course and see for yourself. I had my doubts about what I read in other reviews but once I had played the course I became a believer.

There aren't many courses where you feel like you are throwing off the roof of a 6 story building. Even if you lose a disc here (you were warned in the briefing) it is fun watching it fly off into the abyss.

When you play here you feel like you own the place thanks to the hospitality of the owners.

I could write much more but it has already been said by someone else. The superlatives are all true.
Cons: More bathrooms might be nice. There is a porta-potty at the start/end of the course. The previous sentences are a con. This next sentence is the pro that offsets the con. The owners, when present, often offer there home bathroom to the ladies.

We had to wait at one hole for a group of 7 deer to get off the fairway.
Other Thoughts: No matter what anyone writes about this course, you will not believe it until you play it. Don't just go there to throw discs and ignore the scenery. Sometimes you are just going to want to sit there and take it all in.

The owners give you (for a small donation) their property to enjoy. Please follow their rules. It would be a great loss to the disc golf community if this place closed due to abuse.

The Best!

1    9/20/2014   10/9/2014
Review By: reverendbacon
Pros: Speechless; the views are amazing, the course layout and variance of technicality is yearned for at other top courses; the property owners are most humbling, enjoyed a long conversation with them and my friends, and Paul - the guy who pulled this all together - what a great vision and collaboration of a community, and most gracious host. Respect.
Cons: None - other than hole 8 - hehe =) Love this course!
Other Thoughts: Playing this course is a must! Make it happen! You will not be disappointed.

Pro Shop is well stocked! Bring your cash!! There are some disc's there that you can not find anywhere else!

A True Gem

1    9/20/2014   10/3/2014
Review By: Jimmy Haahr
Pros: No one other then your group on the course, this give you a chance to really enjoy the amazing views and all around amazing course.

The course is challenging and technical with big elevation changes making even the short holes a challenge.

This is a high risk with high reward course with plenty of ace chances and plenty of bogie chances, there isn't one hole on the course i disliked and cant wait to go back and play again, it is well worth the trip as i flew in from New Orleans to play this course and it did not disappoint.
Cons: Hole 8 will take your disk forever if you miss left, though it is an amazing hole to play
Other Thoughts: If you are looking for a course to travel and play i recommend this one i will be flying back out to play next year.

< Prev 1 2 3 4