Pine, CO
Bucksnort DGC Share
Uploaded By: ldtrainman Hole #6 (Taken 5/2013)
Hole #6 Approach

< Prev 1 2 3
Bucksnort Beats Them All

1    10/22/2014   10/27/2014
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Pan, the horned god of the wilderness, with his goat hooves, would be perfectly happy playing his pipes on the scenic slopes of Bucksnort DGC. The most visually impressive course I have ever played, and perhaps my new favorite course. A rare perfect 5 best of the best, rivaled only by Nockamixon and Maple Hill in my top 3. There are so many fun holes, and booking with Paulie gets you exclusive access for the day. You will want to play it more than once. A bit of physical exertion climbing up and down steep mountain slopes repeatedly, but my 62 year old Dad hung in and walked the entire thing, with a couple of stops at the designated water stations for a beer and a smoke break. Free to enjoy all of the finest things Colorado has to offer, at our own pace. We took 2.5 hours to fully complete the circuit, taking a couple of extended breaks to enjoy the scenery, the peace and quite, and catch our breaths after a few of the longer uphill climbs. From the first tee you can see you are in for a treat. Paulie led us up the mountain to the parking area and gave an entertaining and informative rundown of the course features, design philosophy, rules, potential hazards, and other highlights. He also provides a scorecard, and a laminated map, with tips and stats for each hole. I could hardly wait to throw as I listened to the introductory explanation of the course on that first bench. A large rock formation backs the first basket, and will later form part of the cave where the basket is located on hole 4. I managed to hit rock near the cave entrance and roll downhill 3 times, taking a 6. Really cool hole anyway, especially with the wooden basket at the top of those stairs. The throne, a rock backing the hole 5 basket, is very cool also. It is on a tricky downhill run that you don't want to over throw. Hole 7 is great too, downhill a long way to a pin location out on the moon rock, a gigantic granite boulder. Hole 8 tees from the top of this behemoth, to basket over 60 feet below near the base. I knew the wind and large drop in elevation would push my drive toward the dangerous cliff left of the basket. I still failed to aim far enough right, and sailed two drivers way left. I threw a third tee shot with a putter on a direct line, and it was my best attempt, but luckily I was able to recover both drivers and play my first drive. 9 and 11 are the only two baskets you can not see from the tee (except for 4, the cave hole). There is a magnificent view of Pine Valley after hole 15 and the water station. Other unusual pin locations include inside a paintball shelter, putting through the window, a hanging basket in a crazy old dead tree, and one placed atop a large boulder. Elements are expertly utilized and blended resulting in hole after hole of disc golf bliss. The only time I didn't make par after 8, was when I missed the double reverse mando on hole 18, and took a circle 5. The only hole I made birdie on was 20, but I had chances on a few others, and feel like I could shoot way better than the 11 over par 77 I ended up with. Every hole is amazing in its own way. I liked the idiot-proof arrows indicating pin location on the 3 blind holes, and leading transitions in between holes make it very friendly to newcomers.
Cons: You must contact Paulie and make a reservation to play this course. A release form must be signed, and there is a fee, but it is well worth it, trust me. If you can't do without concrete tees, you are out of luck. One is the only box that block pavers, the rest are nice and level, but dirt. The baskets and signs aren't the highest quality. In time some improvements may be made. There are some long holes and doglegs, but no par 4 holes. Lacking the super long holes featured on many top courses. Smoking is prohibited outside the designated areas at the beginning, and after holes 6 and 15. These really are not big cons, but may not be ideal for some.
Other Thoughts: Bucksnort is a disc golf experience that is unlike any other I have had. An incredible course, fun and challenging, and entirely to ourselves for a day. The weather was perfect, and the course is immaculate. There is another course being installed on these grounds, with unusual chimed targets. An ideal course, having drastic changes in elevation, and wooded fairways as my favorite courses usually do. As the finishing touches are put in place, it is sure to remain one of the best around. I will certainly return as soon as possible for another round here, and a shot at the many other high rated courses nearby.

Unbelievable

2-4    9/28/2014   10/21/2014
Review By: Tom Z
Pros: course is yours. Enjoy the views. They are spectacular. I've played about 30 courses in about 8 states and have never seen such a beautiful setting.

This course gets high rating because of the Disc Golf Course not the amenities.

Every hole has a unique feature. And I mean EVERY hole. It would take pages to describe them all. Let me just say, play the course and see for yourself. I had my doubts about what I read in other reviews but once I had played the course I became a believer.

There aren't many courses where you feel like you are throwing off the roof of a 6 story building. Even if you lose a disc here (you were warned in the briefing) it is fun watching it fly off into the abyss.

When you play here you feel like you own the place thanks to the hospitality of the owners.

I could write much more but it has already been said by someone else. The superlatives are all true.
Cons: More bathrooms might be nice. There is a porta-potty at the start/end of the course. The previous sentences are a con. This next sentence is the pro that offsets the con. The owners, when present, often offer there home bathroom to the ladies.

We had to wait at one hole for a group of 7 deer to get off the fairway.
Other Thoughts: No matter what anyone writes about this course, you will not believe it until you play it. Don't just go there to throw discs and ignore the scenery. Sometimes you are just going to want to sit there and take it all in.

The owners give you (for a small donation) their property to enjoy. Please follow their rules. It would be a great loss to the disc golf community if this place closed due to abuse.

The Best!

1    9/20/2014   10/9/2014
Review By: reverendbacon
Pros: Speechless; the views are amazing, the course layout and variance of technicality is yearned for at other top courses; the property owners are most humbling, enjoyed a long conversation with them and my friends, and Paul - the guy who pulled this all together - what a great vision and collaboration of a community, and most gracious host. Respect.
Cons: None - other than hole 8 - hehe =) Love this course!
Other Thoughts: Playing this course is a must! Make it happen! You will not be disappointed.

Pro Shop is well stocked! Bring your cash!! There are some disc's there that you can not find anywhere else!

A True Gem

1    9/20/2014   10/3/2014
Review By: Jimmy Haahr
Pros: No one other then your group on the course, this give you a chance to really enjoy the amazing views and all around amazing course.

The course is challenging and technical with big elevation changes making even the short holes a challenge.

This is a high risk with high reward course with plenty of ace chances and plenty of bogie chances, there isn't one hole on the course i disliked and cant wait to go back and play again, it is well worth the trip as i flew in from New Orleans to play this course and it did not disappoint.
Cons: Hole 8 will take your disk forever if you miss left, though it is an amazing hole to play
Other Thoughts: If you are looking for a course to travel and play i recommend this one i will be flying back out to play next year.

SWEET!

1    9/13/2014   10/2/2014
Review By: xskatx
Pros: The list goes on too long.. I could ramble all day about how cool this course is. Great scenic views, custom baskets, holes in caves, on top of rocks, in awesome spots. You get to tee off of a great boulder, you get to play some of the best designed holes in CO. The hike is moderately difficult and some of the terrain can be tricky but if your up for it, it's a blast!
Cons: I can't say anything that bad really. We were told this course was supposed to be better for beginners but I have to say it was much more challenging than that still. Trees can be menacing here and the pin placement makes it exceedingly difficult when you miss a put. Risk/reward is huge at this course. This isn't so much a con as an opinion that if easier is the goal, it could still be a lot easier mostly with easier pin placements.

Paradise!

2-4    9/24/2013   9/25/2014
Review By: Sean Mullins
Pros: Stunning rocky mountain course! Great variety of shots. Zero repetition, good baskets, good natural tee-pads, plenty of trees, killer views! You cant go wrong with this course! Lowell, Linda, and Paulie are all awesome people and will show you a great time!
Cons: I cant play here every day......
Other Thoughts: Many other great courses nearby when you are done with the Bucksnort!

Amazing course

1    8/14/2014   8/17/2014
Review By: bilen434
Pros: All types of shots required.
No repetitive hole layouts.
Utilizes all of the geography, including a cave hole.
Breathtaking views of the mountains from almost every hole.
Great signage and markers.
Paulie gives you a 10 minute orientation and gives some advice for a few of the holes.

Cons: Some tee pads could be a bit longer.
Other Thoughts: 22 holes on some very prime real estate. This course is a must play if you are in the area.
Shots are prone to horrible rolls.
The rocks tear up discs, even star and champion plastic.
100% worth the $15

This is one of the 7 Wonders of Disc Golf

1    7/30/2014   7/30/2014
Review By: prerube
Pros: My camera died on hole 8, every hole needed to be shared. Views rival any state park or scenic look out.

Flow and navigation is "100% idiot proof" a 3 colored arrow system allows you to find the basket, the next hole, and the safest walking path.

So many holes would be signature holes on any other course. This is definitely the only place you will ever putt into an elevated pine basket in a cave (hole 4)

The amount of risk vs. reward shots is never ending. The roll aways were much less frequent than the other near by courses.

There was a shaded "rest stop" with furniture and water coolers at hole 6.

You are given a course map and a cheat sheet to help you through the course.

Great variety in shots while keeping holes intermediate friendly.

I emptied my bag several holes. (5, 6, 21, and 22 off the top of my head)

Finally, Paulie is a gracious and professional host. He even loaned me a rain coat to keep me dry while I was playing.
Cons: Most cons are rendered mute by this being a private course with only one group per day. I struggled to come up with cons so much that I had to save and come back to add these nit-picky cons.

1. Course terrain is pretty treacherous and not suited for the general public.

2. some chance of disc loss, but discs get returned. Some chance of disc destruction. soft plastics can be chewed up and cracked easily here.

3. You cant just spontaneously play this course. A tee time must be set up in advanced and you must go through a short orientation.

4. If you don't factor in elevation this course does not have a lot of long holes, but with elevation and hazards I felt hole distances were selected well.

5. 18's super shot double mando may be called gimmicky, but its the only double reverse mando I have ever seen, also one hole out of 22 is a great ratio.
Other Thoughts: I have played Flyboy, Renny Gold, Deer Lakes, Hawk Hollow, Maple Hill, and many other quality courses and feel this course can compete with the best courses in the world. If you have an opinion on this review shoot me a PM and we can debate and I can make changes as needed. Much more mature than a thumbs down.

On my drive down the course I saw an entire other course using chime targets. It was tempting, but I did not have permission to play.

Cost $15.

The nearby camping is $55 a night and 7 people can fit in a cabin at Beaver Ranch.

Favorite Course

1    6/16/2014   7/29/2014
Review By: rivetshack
Pros: Since it is a private course, it is rented out to only one group per day. It is fantastic to be able to play at your own pace, have these amazing views and not worry about anything but having a good time. The course layout was phenomenal - easy to navigate and a good use of the land. It is a very challenging course, but my friend who came with me doesn't play very often and he still had a good time. Rock formations, interesting basket locations, elevation changes, technical shots - this course has it all. I have played courses all across the country and even overseas and this course beats them all. If you are ever in the area, definitely give this course a shot.
Cons: Nothing that I can think of. You will want to leave your DX and Pro D plastics at home. With the rocks and the trees, your discs can get beat up pretty quickly, even with good shots.

mountain disc golf at its best

5+    6/10/2014   7/15/2014
Review By: PineBasketBuilder
Pros: What a great course in an area with lots of great courses. Great views of Pine Valley, amazing rock formations to play on and around. Beautiful ponderosa pine forest to challenge players on most drives. Many different shots needed for this course with good putting a must for a good score. Great owners, respect their property and few rules (smoking in designated areas only). Maybe best of the best in the area, great for both competitive and casual players.
Cons: Could be difficult to get a tee time, but once you do you won't be disappointed.
Other Thoughts: I'm a big fan of shorter technical courses, so I love that this course isn't too long with only a few big drives needed. Get Out and Play This Course!

< Prev 1 2 3