Pine, CO
Bucksnort DGC Share
Uploaded By: ldtrainman Hole #10 (Taken 5/2013)
3 / 194ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Unique Challenges

1    4/9/2014   4/10/2014
Review By: mndiscg
Pros: -Awesome rock formations all over the course. Many baskets are placed in or around these rocks for added challenge, fun and uniqueness. It starts off strong with the basket against a massive rock across a little valley. Hole 2 is back down the valley with an ace run against a rock back board. Hole 4 and 5 are some of the most interesting on the course. Hole 4 is into the cave/crack and is a tough tee shot and tough putt. It is also one of the famous pine baskets. Super short but not an easy 3. Hole 5 is another downhill with a fast green behind the rocks.
-Tees are natural but worked just fine.
-Lots of elevation and risk/reward shots. Not nearly as severe punishment for poor judgement as PF but you can still throw a disc off a cliff by accident.
-This course is designed to be able to hold events unlike PF which is good. It appears to be a larger property with less holes so it is less crammed and no baskets are shared. There is definitely room for expansion and I hear there is expansion in the plans for this summer. I was picturing some more awesome shots all over this property.
-The basket in the building was pretty cool and unique. Even though it was a manufactured obstacle, it was still a legitimate challenge.
-This course is up on top of the hill above PF so the views are a lot better. You can see forever. Holes 8,15,16 especially were memorable views.
-This course is designed with intermediate players in mind but I think that it could challenge most players. You still need accuracy to avoid trees and to place your discs where they wont roll. You also need to think about your next shot as many greens are tricky.
-Paulie is a great host and course designer. It is fun to hang out with him for the day and have him tell you the ins and outs of the courses. He is a great advocate for the sport.
-No junk holes here, all of them are fun and pretty unique.
Cons: -Like Phantom, this course has a hodgepodge of various baskets. Many of them are nice but some of them are single-chained and will spit discs out now and then.
-Could lose a disc here with a really bad shot. The undergrowth is a little worse than Phantom being a newer course but it is much better than most wooded courses. I did find a disc in the open. If you want it back, PM me with a brief description and we'll see if we can get it back to you.
-Definitely a physically challenging course with lots of hiking up and down hills at high elevation.
-Like PF, this course is pay to play ($15) and there is only one tee time every day. This is a pro because you aren't going to be rushed and a con because it can be hard to get onto. I would say that this course is a must play regardless of the cost.
-Tees are natural (see pros)
Other Thoughts: -You probably should take a few days to visit this area if you are from out of town. This course as well as Phantom, Bailey, and Conifer are all must plays for everybody.
-I camped for free about 10 miles away from here in the Buffalo Creek National Forest area. Highly recommended. Especially for free.
-Paulie allowed me to play this course after Phantom and I was joined by two others, thanks to Dan and Stephanie for the camaraderie and great round.
-This course had a super high fun factor for me. I look forward to returning someday and maybe bumping this rating up to a 5.

Bucksnort

2-4    3/23/2014   3/26/2014
Review By: aldoraine
Pros: The course is beautiful and pristine
The course is fair to both lefties and righties
The course is a high risk high reward
The course is laid out in a way that is thorough in thought
The course is a masterpiece by Paulie
The course is my favorite and I dream of the shots
Cons: It's a mans course- you can't be no punk off the streets- you know what I mean.... Earn your keep
Bucksnort has some tough terrane and needs to be respected
Difficult to find cons on a course that is so close to perfection
Other Thoughts: Take some time to enjoy the view on 16

Fun Factor - excellent!

1    10/8/2013   10/8/2013
Review By: IHearChains
Pros: This course was a blast to play. It is creatively designed, with quite a few unique holes that I doubt you will see anywhere else. There were a couple of quirky novelty holes, and I had a lot of fun playing them.

Several baskets were perched high on rocks with really small landing zones, and gigantic rollaways happened several times -- a drive that might look to give a routine deuce putt opportunity turns into a 4 or worse. There is virtually no undergrowth, so even if you have a terrible rollaway (or badly shank a drive) it is pretty easy to find discs.

Hole 8 was a signature hole. It tees downhill from the top of a gigantic boulder that must be about an acre wide. I love this hole. It has options. I tried the low straight shot the first time through and failed badly, then second round I tried the big hyzer over the top and parked it. So fun!

The scenery is inspiring, and it would be fun to just hike around up here. Even more fun to throw plastic while you're hiking. :-)

When you arrange a tee time here you get the whole course to yourself for the whole day. It's pretty amazing to be able to play such a great course without waiting.

My group took a nice relaxing rest in a little shelter after hole 6. It was equipped with lounge furniture that was in good condition even though its exposed to the elements. That stuff would be totally rotten in other parts of the country but I guess the low humidity helps.

There was great signage which involved lots of really obvious directional arrows. It was super easy to follow, which is great for a course which will probably see a lot more first-time players than your average city park.
Cons: There are only a couple of holes that can use a full pull with a driver. I threw a lot of midranges off the tee. I don't commonly use a putter from the tee but I did that here several times. I'm not sure this is really a con, just depends on what you're looking for. For me personally, I was satisfied with it because I played the same day at Conifer, where you get a chance to really air out some big drives.

Footing was a slight issue, it is not a big problem, but like any natural tees it just adds a little extra variable you have to pay attention to. Here the gravel is pretty good, but there are still some ball bearings underfoot occasionally.

About those novelty holes (in the crack, in front of backstop rocks, hanging basket, a basket inside weird shack). I liked them, and after giving it some more thought later, I wondered if the fun factor would be diminished once the novelty wore off. Maybe so, because we played a partial 2nd round and some of the novelty holes were not as much fun second time around. (unlike hole 8, which was even more incredible the second time!)
Other Thoughts: My group was discussing how this course design would need some changes if the course were to have more than one tee-time per day. There were a couple holes with obvious erosion issues from foot traffic, and there were quite a few places where you could easily end up throwing into groups on other holes. As long as it has the one-group-per-day policy I can't really call these things "cons".

Course designer Paulie was a great host. He's put together a really excellent course in Bucksnort. 4.0 = excellent. Money well-spent! And it makes me want to check out the other ones in the area. Next time!

Bucksnort

2-4    9/5/2013   9/26/2013
Review By: mike1022
Pros: Beautiful scenery. When you get to each tee box and look around the views are amazing. Most of the basket placements are pretty tough but there are a few ace able placements as well. I suggest bringing a few friends and enjoy the course all day because you have it to yourself! It's like your own private course for the day. Paulie has put signage up the makes the course dummy proof. It's very easy to find the next tee pads as well as baskets.
Cons: There is no room for drivers. If you like to rip them far this isn't the course for you. Very technical course so if your throws are a little off that day it could make a long one for you.
Other Thoughts: All of Paulies courses are awesome to play. Paulie takes you to each one and gives you a little history/presentation on the course you have selected that day. After that he leaves you alone and let's you do what you want.

AWESOME DG COURSE

5+    8/22/2013   8/26/2013
Review By: paulrothley@msn.com
Pros: Of the "BIG-5" courses on the highway 285 corridor, this is one of my favorites. I love the views, creative pin placement, shot variation, rock outcroppings, and overall vibe at the BuckSnort DGC. You get the place to yourself/group, which is an invaluable pro, due to the increasing crowds on other the local public courses. This course has a great mix of shots and lengths. Be aware that it is NOT a huge course in terms of hole length, but it is by no means a "pitch & putt". If you want/like extremely long holes, I suggest going to play Bailey DGC, this is one of the local public courses. The Bailey DGC was installed to accommodate the 2010 CO State DG tournament, so it was conceived with the PRO player in mind. The BuckSnort DGC is a beginner friendly, intermediate DGC with the emphasis being put on fun factor, and creativity, and was not designed to give you a "beat down". I also like the fact that anything can happen at the BuckSnort DGC, one day I scored an 11 over, and 3 days later I scored a 3 under, meaning on any given hole you could score a birdie or a double bogie. The crushed granite tee pads are in excellent condition, and are a great material to tee off from. The navigation and "blind hole" signage make this course, fun, easy, and somewhat "idiot proof". The course designer, and the owner of the property are very friendly, respectful, and accommodating. The customary donation is fair, and the added bonus of access to the Phantom Falls pro-shop is a huge bonus.

Cons: The course is only 2.5 months old, so take the "cons" with a grain of salt. The tee signs are not fancy, and the baskets are single chain, all of which will be fixed by 2016. The course costs $$ to play, and you MUST have a tee time to play, (con's?? I don't think so, but some mught).
Other Thoughts: You check in at the Phantom Falls DGC & pro-shop. For transparency sake - I am one of the designers of this course. Come visit us sometime, we would be honored to have you play here. Check us out on our web page at -http://bucksnort.healthtrains.net /

Just a blast

2-4    8/19/2013   8/21/2013
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: Of the five big courses in the Conifer/Pine/Bailey area, Bucksnort takes top honors in a number of different categories: scenery, unique topology, creative design, and best of all, fun.

There are a lot of signature holes here. Hole 4 is only 118 feet long into a tight crevasse. It's probably possible to ace, but even getting a birdie is pretty tough. Great shot placement hole requiring a good drive and a better putt. Hole 5 is a steep downhill shot with a stone "backboard." If you miss the thin landing area or the backboard, you won't be getting a birdie. But going for the ace is really tantalizing. My sidearm thumber narrowly missed.

Hole 7 has a few tight, low-ceiling gaps opening up to a "green" that is the largest boulder I've ever set foot on, which has a terrific view of the surrounding mountains and gigantic rock outcroppings. Hole 8 tees off from this rock on what Paulie calls a disc-eating hole. We didn't have any trouble finding our discs in the forest below, but if you air it out carelessly, I could see it never coming back. This is a hole where you could easily get an ace, birdie, par, bogey, and maybe worse. Hole 9 is a final hole along the side of this boulder, with the basket sitting on a ledge along the rock wall. It looks like an easy forehand ace or birdie opportunity, but for some reason we didn't get a lot of birdies on this hole.

Hole 21 is a steep uphill toss at a basket set in a corner. It is aceable (my friend did), but hitting the rock wall behind it could send the disc rolling back to you.

Navigation was easy, using the same yellow "next tee" signs used at the other courses that Paulie designed.

This probably has the least amount of elevation change of any of the five courses in the area. It definitely plays up and down, but you won't be catching your breath like at Conifer or Magic Meadows.
Cons: I don't think using the natural features of the terrain is gimmicky (they are used to excellent effect here). But one of the holes does have you throwing to a basket situated in a wooden shack where you are either throwing through the open roof, one of the three windows, or through the one side with no wall. This hole, while kind of funny, felt artificial.

This isn't a championship style course, if that is what you are after.

Tee pads are all natural, and some are short. Again, I don't expect concrete on these holes.
Other Thoughts: The charge was $10 ("introductory fare"), and Paulie leads you up the hill from Phantom Falls and gives you the lowdown. It was well worth the cost. You get the course to yourself, just like at Phantom Falls or Magic Meadows.

If your favorite part of disc golf is throwing your Destroyer as far as you can, this might not be your cup of tee. I love wooded courses, but my accuracy was off the day I played, and I encountered a lot of Dikembe trees, slamming my disc to the ground. This is not a pitch and putt course (seriously, try playing without a driver on the uphill holes), but your big arm won't serve you well here. If you are accurate, you will score well here. But there are plenty of places for mistakes, and my two friends and I saw a lot of lead changes.

To me the sign of a great course is how badly I want another chance at the holes. We couldn't wait to play this a second time. And even though I had a 7-hour drive ahead of me that evening, I decided we needed to play it a third time as well. It was too tantalizing.

This course is the most fun of any I've played.

Can it get better i don't know

2-4    7/19/2013   7/20/2013
Review By: Eric123
Pros: Great views great design all holes are awesome. Basket placements are fantastic tee boxes are in great shape. Very challenging yet rewarding I had nine birdies in one round but still ended even par. The course is easy to walk played 66 baskets and was not to exhausted actually tempted to play more it was so fun.
Cons: No cons here there was even water coolers to refill your bottle along the way everthing you could need to make your day the most enjoyable disc golf ever.
Other Thoughts: Can it get better i don't know I have played magic meadows and was blown away there but this is definitely a few notches up from that. Still have not played the phantom so if there is course to beat buck snort it still awaits to be seen by me.

Incredible course

1    7/14/2013   7/17/2013
Review By: JGreenNY
Pros: Everything is top notch on this course. If you've played any of Paulie's courses, you know what I mean. The tee boxes are in great shape, the disc catchers are perfect, and the signage is clearly marked. You're given a card with a description of each hole and suggestions for how to play them.

Many private p2p courses offer similar amenities but what no other course can match is the sheer beauty of the hiking on this course. It's simply awesome.

Most holes are not long, but require precise throws through tight windows. As an intermediate player, it was the perfect blend of distance and technical shots.
Other Thoughts: All in all, this is in my estimation the single best course I've ever played. If your main pleasure in playing is to bomb 350 foot drives in open spaces, this is not the course for you. It IS the course for everyone else though. We're from NY, and had our annual disc golf road trip here this year. I highly recommend coming to this region for your next DG weekend.

Best Course in America

1    5/12/2013   6/26/2013
Review By: Benaskren1
Pros: Well I am a frequent visitor of this site, but have never posted. I went to visit a friend in CO and got to play Beaver Ranch(#14) and Phantom Falls(#6). The experience at Phantom Falls was amazing and after our round Paulie took us up to Bucksnort.

Traveling and playing disc golf courses is one of my hobbies and I have now played over 700 courses(8 in the top 10) and it is my opinion that Bucksnort is the best course in America!!!

The views and scenery are unbeatable, the disc golf is unique and challenging, and you have to bring every shot in your bag.
Cons: It wasnt finished when I played it, never the less I think it is the best course I have ever played. I wish the property was mine!
Other Thoughts: I really dont know what people are thinking when they dont give this course a 5! Every tee pad you step on you say WOW.

Another Private Gem featuring "Accuracy Golf"

1    6/12/2013   6/12/2013
Review By: el siege
Pros: This is a unique disc golf experience for a few reasons which set it apart from the average course. I'll highlight some here;

-Mountain Disc Golf Setting: The scenery is awesome; forested peaks without much hint of civilization save for some excellent look-out points (hole 16 in particular). Rolling terrain punctuated by boulders, caves, and plenty of trees make for interesting obstacles and elevation changes on every hole. Though walking the course is a moderate physical challenge, there is plenty of shade throughout the property which keeps players comfortable.

-Private Course Feel; Once a tee time is secured YOU will be the only group on the course. Pro shop on site for discs, dri-fits, food and drink, Q&A/orientation with the course designer. Very informative scorecard with "caddy notes", distances AND +/- elevation for each hole.

-Equipment: High quality baskets with orange cones, yellow arrows help with navigation, benches and garbage pails on several holes. A couple of memorable pin placements (hanging, stump-mounted, cave-basket, "shed-basket") keep the fun factor high.

-Course: This course is FUN. It is not the hardest or easiest course you will play, but it will make your top 10 for fun-factor without question. Many holes are short when compared to "normal" courses, but do not let this deter you from trying out Pauly's (course designer) self described "risk/reward" accuracy golf. Many holes are reachable with one throw but will punish errant drives and upshots. No "throw-away" or "filler" holes (usually found at lesser courses.) Memorable pin placements will force accurate upshots as well.
Cons: NOTE: Course is brand new and has potential for 5-disc status. When finished there will be 36 holes.
Other Thoughts: A truly fun disc golf experience. The course is challenging enough for experienced players, but not so unforgiving that beginners will lose discs and leave unhappy.

Not much to complain about here, but it is worth mentioning that this is a very new course that will take some time to be fully "broken in". I think with the addition of 16 more holes the course will become more challenging.

Given the planned improvements, in time this could be a 5 disc rated course.

At the time that I played the course had been open for 10 days and 2 holes were being finalized so were unplayable. #8 will be a signature hole when finished, throwing across a chasm to a "rock island" green.

Natural teepads work great for this course because you won't need to use a "run-up" for any drives, but the dirt hasn't packed in yet so footing is less than perfect in some cases.

Also, the logs used for marking teeboxes are not secured to the ground so have a tendency to roll when contacted by a thrower's feet.

If you make it to Bucksnort, try and make time to play Phantom Falls (on-site) and Beaver Ranch @Conifer (nearby).