Springfield, MO
Oak Grove Park Share
Uploaded By: dudiablo Hole #6 (Taken 3/2011)
3 / 241ft.   3 / 330ft.   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Surprisingly Good

5+    8/17/2010   8/17/2010
Review By: DaddyD
This review was updated on 10/4/2010
Pros: The nine holes and short-drives make this a perfect go-and-throw course if you have a half-hour or so. The mature trees are spaced apart, but still can pose a challenge. The concrete pads are great, but sometimes point the wrong way (see Cons).

The course is in the back 2/3 of the park and most non-DGers stay in the front 1/3 where the playground equipment is, so most days, the only people to worry about are the other golfers. I don't think I've ever played when there weren't at least one group ahead and one group behind me.
Cons: Because the course is so old, some of the holes have been moved from their original location, so the concrete tee pads sometimes point in a different direction than the hole, giving you a shortened pad to throw from.

Very flat, so no hills or valleys for variety. The ground is extremely hard, especially in the 10-15 feet around the holes, so a disc that might drop and stop at another course will skip, roll and slide here for several feet. In addition to the ground being hard, it is made up of fine dust which sticks to discs and can interfere with your grip, so bring along a towel and use it frequently.

The signage desperately needs updating and I suspect that the distances aren't accurate, especially on the holes that have been moved.

The park is surrounded closely by homes, but only one hole (#7) poses a real threat of a disc being thrown into a yard, as long as you're not WAY off on a drive.
Other Thoughts: The short holes make for great potential birdies and can give you a real boost of confidence.

If you need short-course practice, this is a great place to go.

Classic Course

2-4    7/28/2003   7/28/2010
Review By: Aupps
Pros: -Great to bring a beginner to
-Nice park
Cons: -Neighbors backyards back up to the course, you have to be mindful of not letting your disc go over a fence
-Lots of people walking around in the park not paying attention to the discs whizzing by their heads
Other Thoughts: It's been awhile since I have played this course, but it was one of the first courses I played on while I was working at a summer camp so I remember it fondly

First Course

2-4    10/9/2008   10/9/2008
Review By: Parablehead
Pros: Nice course if you want to get nine holes in in a half hour after work. This was the first course I ever played on, so I have a fondness for it.
Cons: Neighborhood houses with lots of plate glass windows border the park and made me antsy about my throws. Not all of the holes are clearly marked. Also, the last time I played on it (in the middle of the week -- but not on league night) there were an inexplicably large number of people playing, which made for some interesting disc-dodging moments.
Other Thoughts: Solid course in the middle of town -- easy to get to from any number of campuses.

Simple Fun

4/16/2008   4/16/2008
Review By: gravedigger
Pros: Nice little neighborhood course. It was in a well kept park, with amazing trees. Wasn't busy when we played.
Cons: Short, simple. Do look out for all the back and forth/zigzagging going on between multiple parties.
Other Thoughts: I wish I had one of these in my neighborhood. It provided some easy, throw back fun.