Beech Mountain, NC
Beech Mtn. Resort DGC Share

Good but needs fine tuning

1    6/29/2013   7/2/2013
Review By: BDunn
Pros: The location is absolutely amazing. Probably the best course that I've played as far as that goes. I mean, what course has a chairlift to take you up and beautiful mountains all around? It's pretty fun to play too. Most of the holes are straight forward and you're playing downhill on the majority of shots, there are no uphill shots. So, you get a lot of distance out of your shots. Like the other review said you don't need a driver for a 500ft hole. I thought I was even being conservative a few times and threw way past the basket. You need to be accurate though. The trees are not forgiving.
Cons: Although it is overall a fun course, there are things that need improvement and things I didn't like.
First, it's $15 to play 18 holes and the chairlift closes at 6. I think $15 is a little steep to play, but not a big deal.
Second, it actually gets old having to constantly walk down hill. My knees were hurting pretty badly by the end of the round.
Third, there really isn't a big mix of shots. Most are straight ahead and maybe a couple with a slight hyzer to them. Most are just downhill shots of varying distances. There were a few that played on a kind of level fairway. I actually think it would be more interesting with some uphill shots in the mix.
Fourth, my biggest issue with the course is trying to find my disc. The grass on a lot of the fairways is quite high, in some cases up to my waist. So, even if I have a nice shot in the fairway and see where about where it landed I'm still searching for 5 or 10 minutes. It got really frustrating having to search for my disc on every single hole even when it wasn't a bad throw. If you throw it into some trees you might as well forget about it. I lost five discs playing here so I might be a little upset about it. But when I have to leave a disc just sitting in a fairway because I can't find it because of the grass, it's a problem.
Other Thoughts: Overall, it's fun. But throwing downhill does get old. I think if they mixed up the shots a little more and kept the fairways clear it would be much better.
Also, it does play through mountain biking trails so be aware of where you are standing/walking.

The Most Unique DG Experience You'll Ever Have

1    6/22/2013   6/23/2013
Review By: SonicDG
This review was updated on 7/30/2013
Pros: The little town first off is simply amazing. If youve never been to the ski resort, I HIGHLY recommend it. From the jump, I'll warn everyone that my friend and I only got to play the first seven holes. THE LIFTS CLOSE AT SIX, so plan to start your round early in the day if you want to get through all 18 holes. I'll start off by saying that the chairlift up to hole 1 is the most amazing experience I've ever had on a disc golf course. Just amazing view after amazing view. This course literally feels like you are on tour with the pros, be prepared to bring your A game or prepare to face the consequences. The close is mostly open but that doesn't mean you don't need excellent shot placement. All the holes have six foot flag above the cage so most are relatively easy to find. A great mix of giant technical holes blended with unique ace runs. Looking at the lengths, one might then this is a course where you'll use your driver on every hole.....NOPE. I guarantee you've never faced elevation change like this on any course. It's not something you get use to after the first couple holes either. The 100+ft elevation change will require you to use a midrange off the tee on a 700+ ft hole. It's that crazy! The course follows a pretty easy to see path. You'll almost always be able to see the next teepad from the putting after on the previous hole. Teepads are a very nice rubberized material that is fantastic for footing. Bathroom breaks after holes 7 and 14, before you ride the lifts back up. very convenient. With some improvements, there is no doubt in my mind this could become a course where a national tournament is held. Wouldn't surprise me one bit
Cons: Only a few things kept this from being a 5*. the course is played on the same land as Mtn biking trails, so watch your step and always be aware where you are. The bikers coming flying down the hill and the routes cross the fairway of some holes. The signs at the teepad need to be more detailed, you get a distance and par but no real idea of the route you are suppose to take. On some holes you look at the sign, see 700+ft, and automatically pull out a driver. Don't make this mistake! Consider the elevation before every shot during the round. Using a midrange on more shots than a driver will probably help your score by a few shots. The roughs are...ROUGH. It'll probably be hard to maintain this course in good shape, a little weed eating would help between the fairway and tr rough. A few more trashcans would also be nice
Other Thoughts: Like I said before, this is the most unique experience you'll probably ever have on a disc gold course. If you aren't physically fit, forget about it. If you are though, your $15 will be well spent. The views alone are worth that much. Again, only a few things stand in the way of this being a national caliber course.