Carmel, IN
Hazel Landing Park Share
Uploaded By: kingjames1014 Hole #11 (Taken 12/2014)
Hole #11 Blue Tee

1 2 Next >
Destination course. Worth the trip!

1    10/10/2013   10/11/2013
Review By: MarcusGresham
Pros: This is a fantastic course. There are some longer holes (500+ feet,) but nothing overly ridiculous. Every fairway is challenging, whether it's in the woods, has a low ceiling, or is just narrow (few fairways are wider than 40 feet.) Water also comes into play.
Despite the fact that you are in an urban area, it feels like you're in the middle of nowhere. Upon my arrival I saw a deer and also saw rabbits and "evidence" of other wildlife in the area. It's beneficial to have a sidearm and/or a roller.
Two teepads (concrete or both) and two pin placements for each hole. I played the longer of the two pads and the baskets were in the back positions as well.
Cons: As I'm from southern Indiana I'm accustomed to hills and valleys; some people may be put off by the fact that there is virtually no elevation change but that's fairly standard for central part of the state.
There are no benches, water fountains, or trash cans.
I read reports about nettles and poison ivy but wasn't affected by either (as I played in October, I was covered in "stick-tights," "hitchhikers" or whatever you want to call them (FYI, I've learned that, if you have a laminated scorecard on a clipboard, it's a good scraping tool to get those off your clothing. Just don't bother to do it at the beginning of your round here, you're just wasting your time.)
As the course is new there are still some parts of the fairway that aren't totally growing grass yet but that's to be expected with a new course.
This is just a personal issue for me, but every hole is NOT a par 3. I realize people use that standard for counting scores, but in reality several of these holes should be listed as 4s.
Other Thoughts: I'm listing the distances here from the back tee to the far basket:
1. 472' Straight shot. Fairway is about 35' wide the entire way with scrub on either side. There are trees periodically along the fairway that force you to stay low.
2. 408' Also pretty straight, but you can get a bit higher than on #1. Basket is tucked away below trees.
3. 350' You'll need a bit of an S as you'll go slightly right then back to the left.
4. 333' Trees on both sides of the fairway and a narrow gap about 100' off the pad.
5. 402' Straight.
6. 372' In the trees. Tricky.
7. 375' S left the back right. Narrow gap to get through the first part. Then you'll come back a bit left to right again on your approach with a slight ditch in front of the basket.
8. 386' Runs straight down a narrow ditch. Trees periodically in the ditch to hinder you.
9. 283' Seems short but you can get too far right where there's a river.
10. 341' This one will make your butt pucker. The river runs to the right the length of the extremely narrow fairway. Basket is protected by about 3 trees in front of it. If you run at the basket on your putt and miss it you've got a hill that slopes off to the river only 12' right of the basket. One of the shorter holes, but you'll be nervous.
11. 378' Emerge from the woods for what feels like the first open chance to "grip and rip." Trees run the along the right side of the fairway with scrub to the left. Your drive is fairly straight, but you want to hit the landing area to have an approach, as the basket is tucked back slightly to the right in the trees. It sits atop a hill, so if you run at it you can end up rolling way past, perhaps even to the water.
12. 458' Pretty open, but scrub on both sides of the fairway (also not all that wide.)
13. 347' Narrow gap. You need an "S" right-left-right.
14. 579' Slight dogleg left to right. You'll be throwing over the scrub if you have a decent arm so your accuracy is important. Low trees protect the right side of the basket.
15. 364' The picture on the sign was slightly deceiving to me on this one. Look forward and see where it looks like an opening in the trees on the right--that's where you're going. I threw a roller here (I throw left-hand sidearm) that turned where I needed it.) The basket is tucked away nicely in the trees.
16. 429' Blind shot. Fairway turns to the right and it's a trick gap to hit as it isn't very wide. You'll then need a big fade (if you're righty backhand) as the fairway turns back left with a low ceiling all around the basket.
17. 444'Two narrow gaps to hit. First is about 140' away, and you'll be turning right. If you hit your mark you have another one about 50' in front of the basket. Stay low on your approach.
18. 478' You can let your drive go pretty well but it's not all that wide (trees on either side of the fairway. You'll probably want to land slightly to the left side of the fairway to give yourself a shot at the basket, which will then be back right.

Them Hazel Greens

1    8/24/2013   10/7/2013
Review By: Jukeshoe
Pros: Hazel Landing Park (HLP) has 18 holes of very difficult mostly wooded disc golf. A few holes play through scrubby prairie areas but most of the course wends through heavily wooded forest. The course is extremely beautiful in the natural setting.
-Tight technical disc golf is the main bill of fare here. Extremely challenging disc golf from the long pads while the shorts are still a good test for most players.
- Excellent use of trees off of the tees in order to force certain shots. Extremely tight gaps on certain holes (#13 comes instantly to mind).
- Good concrete tees. Signage seems a bit of a work in progress when I was there (albeit a few months ago) but is sufficient to find your way. [EDIT: Apparently this has been rectified recently. Routing should now be a snap with complete tee signage and signage between holes. Thanks to MacDaddy for the inside info!]
- Some scenic greens that really make you put on your thinking cap while approaching.
- Elevation: the very few bumps on this land were incorporated into the course, with # 13's green being the standout example.
Cons: -Elevation (or lack thereof): this course is like an open soda left in the sun for five days...flaaaaaat. Not something the designer could really do much about; however, the complete lack of a 3rd dimension is difficult to ignore. Elevation changes have always been a major aspect of my rating rubric and I have rarely come across a course this unwaveringly flat. Those that might take exception to my rating should refer to this point in particular. I realize it can't be helped, but it is what it is.
- Repetition. A lot of super tight lines followed by a lot of super duper dense roughs (replete with all sorts of nasties). While I actually enjoy that sort of golf, HLP kinda brings it all 18 (at least from the Gold Tees) with few respites. Hopefully with a little bit of time the "thickness factor" will scale back a bit.
Other Thoughts: -Hazel Landing was exceedingly fun to play despite some brutal punishment for wayward discs in the way of bodily harm due to chiggers, poision ivy (which is rampant), thorns, and the occasional nettle.

DG Paradise

1    10/3/2013   10/7/2013
Review By: smitdavi
Pros:
Tee Pads: The tee pads were great. Very long and course.

Multiple Baskets/Pad Layouts: The course is able to be setup in multiple configurations. You have the Gold tees (long) and the Blue tees (short). There can also be different pin locations, short and long (labeled A and B).

Signage: Before you even get to the first hole there is a massive sign with a course map and general info. Once you get to the tee pads you will see a sign on both the Gold and Blue tees of each hole showing the distance to pin location A and pin location B. At the end of most holes there is a sign pointing to the next tee pad.

Baskets: Brand new Innova Discatchers. Very nice!

Location: You feel like you are out in the middle of nowhere. It is very beautiful and set long the banks of the White River. Water can come into play on a couple holes. Some of the holes along the bank are very picturesque. It honestly doesn't feel like you are in the heart of Indiana. It's worth the walk even if you aren't playing a round.
Cons:
I feel like on some of the holes on the bank of the river where they were missing a few "next tee/hole" signs. We almost teed off on 13, I believe, instead of walking further down the ridge to the next hole. Someone playing behind us actually did end up skipping 2 holes because he didn't walk far enough. We had to direct him further down. This is being pretty nitpicky and if you play this course more than once you will have it figured out.

Wish there were benches at each tee pad.
This is by far my favorite course I've played so far. If I lived closer I would play it every day. Bring your "A" game as this course has the ability to chew you up and spit you out. It is worth mentioning the rough. I wouldn't classify it as either a pro or a con but the rough can be deep. You will be rewarded for great shots and punished for bad shots. Throw bright colored discs; it will greatly cut down on the time looking for errant shots. We didn't have spotters and didn't really have problems finding our discs. As for attire, most recommend long pants to play here, but it was quite steamy and warm that day and we played in shorts and tall socks and it was fine. For the two of us it took about 1 hour and 45 minutes to complete. This is a great course and one that should be visited by all DG'ers that are visiting the Indy area. It really is a treat!

Finally, a ridiculous course in my area

1    9/7/2013   9/7/2013
Review By: numbernine
Pros: I'm going to be honest, I heard a lot of hype about this course before I went and finally got off of my duff and played it today.
Let me say this before I get started; This course if the real deal, Holyfield. This isn't for sissies. This isn't some local pitch and putt, scraped out of a little municipal park. This is an honest to god, destination disc golf course. So when you people get all clown shoes and review a 9 holer with no tee pads as a 4 or a 5, and we have this kind of course out there, I truly wish nothing but bad things on you and yours.
OK, on to the pros:

The setting - The course is secluded. There are no people walking their dog or random civilians just popping their heads out to see what you are doing. The park sits near fall creek, and it's one of the prettier disc golf parks that I have ever seen. It's hard to imagine a better setting for our ridiculous sport.

Tee pads - Two long, roughed up cement tee pads per hole. So there is one shorter course and a longer, MUCH more difficult gold course. And let me say this; the gold course is not just a longer version of blue. The course is 8-10 strokes harder from the golds. We played both of them, and the tee pads for all 36 spots are nice and long, very level and super well done. Props!

Signs - If you get lost on this course, you might find something simpler to do. Like...I dunno...roller blading or something. The signs show both pin locations from both tee pads. There are "next tee" signs all over the place, in between holes. There is a GIANT map of the course at the beginning of the course as well. The quality of the signs are perfect and professionally done. I've seen one other place with better signs, and that was down in Florida.

Baskets - First rate, brand new Discatchers. There are multiple pin locations for every hole. I really like these baskets as well. I had not played on the new Innovas. and I was very happy with the way they caught.

Variety - in 36 holes, there are probably 30 very distinct shot type. Long, sweeping annys. Tight, super low ceiling wood shots. Thumber shots. Tunnel shots next to a creek. At the end of the day, you could play this course all day and learn brand new things about your game every time you go out. I feel like this is the kind of course that a disc golfer would get better on in a hurry.

This is a hard disc golf course. I read a review on here where someone listed that as a con. Well, I am gong to balance that out by saying "keep it in the fairways man". Of course the rough is..."rough". IT'S IN THE NAME OF THE OBSTACLE! These fairways are perfectly fair and wide open. If you get into the junk, then throw better! If I can walk out and boatrace a course the first time I see it, then I won't want to go back. But if I got out and the course pushes me down and takes my lunch money, then I am going to want to come back. Replayability is a HUGE factor. I live an hour from here and I plan on scheduling my trips to the area around playing this course.

I mentioned it before, but this really is two courses in one. Gold is long and technical. Blue is medium and technical. Play both and have a blast. It's a challenge! (if you're new to the game, I wouldn't advise playing gold though)
Cons: I will say, don't play this course by yourself unless you're a super good disc golfer. There are times when you need a spotter for some of the blind spots. Though I am putting that in the cons, I don't find it to be a real downside. But the fact that you NEED a spotter and can't play by yourself (or shouldn't at least), then I reckon it has to go in the cons. But I am nitpicking.

There are logs on some holes to sit down on. But the place could use more places to rest your weary, broken, tired spirit.

...Get a water fountain or something out there? Maybe? truly, I am nitpicking.

If there is ONE thing missing from this course, it's the lack of a signature hole. Like one really "Oh wow, do you remember this..." about the place. There are lots of super neat shots and incredibly technical golf to be had, but not one mind blowing place. (again, I am nitpicking here. I guess that's sort of my job)
Other Thoughts: At the end of the day, I have to say that this is my new favorite "local" course. It's hard, but it is fair...think of it like a disc golf course version of the Drill Sergeant from Full Metal Jacket.

I feel like the best compliment that you can give a course is "I am still not sure what disc to throw on that hole, and I played it twice".
Everything has been well thought out on this beautiful piece of land, and I truly can't wait to play it again.

1    8/24/2013   8/24/2013
Review By: Stevenunya
Pros: Innova Discatchers
Practice basket near parking lot
Decent flow from hole to hole once you know your way around
Concrete tee pads
Cons: The roughs are ROUGH
Lots of Poison Ivy and Stinging Nettles
A lot of fairways are so wooded that luck is just as important as skill
Lacks elevation changes
Hard to navigate for first timers
No trash cans
No seating

Other Thoughts: The current 4+ disc rating is a stretch.
I played with a card of 5 players ranging from a decent beginner to advanced and we ended up looking for discs on nearly every hole. That was with spotters.
The course has a little potential, but definitely needs lots of work.

Could become a classic

5+    8/13/2013   8/15/2013
Review By: Grungedude42
Pros: -Great shot variety.
-Difficulty changes drastically between tees and basket locations
-Full concrete tees, great signage, brand new baskets
-Location, Location, Location. Easy access from highways, minutes from anywhere on the north side (just don't miss the park entrance!).
-Gorgeous trees, beautiful park. Classic rustic feel, especially #13 under the giant cottonwoods.
-Underbrush is getting tamed now with all the foot traffic. At first, this course would devour plastic, but I've played two or three times now without losing a single disc.
-Course has it all. Long open field shots, short ace runs, tough punishing tunnel drives, big annys, sweeping hyzers.
-As with Fall Creek, the water is really only in play on #10, and maybe #9 if you really bungle a drive. You get the benefit of a great view of the river on several holes, but you will seldom encounter it. In 5+ rounds here, neither myself or a cardmate has put a disc in the water.
Cons: -No water, no permanent bathrooms. (A recently placed port-a-john is in the parking lot, though)
-Could use a bit of a trim to give some better lines off the tees. But then, no tree is permanent, so the course seems designed with the long view.
-Gravel drive, expect to get dirty driving in and out (granted, not a big deal for most players, just thought I'd mention it)
-Still central Indiana, don't come here looking for major elevation changes. There are some basket locations that will give some interesting putting angles, all the same.
-#16-18 will stymie smaller arms, but top pros could probably hyzer bomb or overhand a long shot for an easy birdie. These holes have relatively juvenile trees, and are closely planted. Not sure how those holes will look in 20 years. (Maybe not really a con if you're looking for scoring seperation.
Other Thoughts: The location is great. Awesome mature trees on the wooded holes, with limited undergrowth due to canopy. A great setting for some epic disc golfing.

Still needs a bit of polish. Some gravel pathways would help in areas, still a bunch of sapling stumps that will ruin a roller or skip shot, but nothing that can't be fixed in time.

Amenities like water and restrooms are needed, but I'm fairly confident those will come in time.

Bring your "A" game to this course. Plenty of opportunities for top tier players to seperate themselves from the pack here. Tight lines, thick brush and great scenery awaits. Highly advize playing with a friend, for both spotting discs, and safety. The course is semi-wild and relatively remote for being in the heart of Carmel. Being right on the river, snakes of all varieties, coyotes and other wildlife are real possibilities, and have been sighted. Be aware of your surroundings.

Enjoy the course. I highly recommend it. With the proper amenities, this has 4.5 potential in my eyes. The only thing holding it back is the lack of drastic elevation changes.

One of the Best In Indy

5+    7/4/2013   7/7/2013
Review By: Jeff Feezle
This review was updated on 12/9/2013
Pros: One of three great courses in a 4 mile area (the others being The Hill and Dillon Park.) There is a fourth disc golf course, Inlow Park, but it is a 9-hole Pitch and Putt course only.

Hazel Landing Park is a decade in the making: designer Dennis Byrne pulled out all the stops on this course;
new DiscCatcher baskets, large concrete tee pads, and a blue course (Medium difficult) and a gold course (very difficult.) A good Amateur score on the Blue course would be 3-6 over. The gold course would be double that. Imagine a disc course cut directly in a fairly untamed park, with 15 foot side weeds, with
fairways carved out by a tractor, and you get the gist of the course. Only 4-5 holes are 'open', with the rest of the course in a wooded area with ancient thick-based trees. The key to playing this course is simple: stay on
the fairways. The wooded fairways are not 'opened up' and have thick trees on the right and left, and 6 inch
trunk trees scattered throughout the openings.

In the open holes, tall prairie grass used to prevail, but great course trimming has cut down the lost disc time. This course is definitely not for new golfers; it requires too much finesse and a lot of power drives from the gold tees. Although water is on one or two of the courses, it doesn't come into play much (unusual for a Byrne course.) There is a nice warmup practice basket before you enter the woods.
Two tee signs (Houck-Platinum signs) are on every hole: with complete visual graphic and distances, and both locations/pins on both signs.
Cons: UPDATED 12/09/13: Next Tee signs are helpful and six are out there now to help navigate thru the woods. There are now benches and sitting stumps on 1/3 of the course. More to be added later in 2014. Use your insect repellent and you'll thank me later. You will bang your disc against trees, so plan your bag accordingly.
Other Thoughts: Hazel Landing, when final touches have been done, will be one of the premier Indianapolis area courses for a long time. Is it fun AND challenging to play? Hell, yeah, and that's the bottom line.

On the 15th year it was installed, and worth the wait.

2-4    6/27/2013   6/30/2013
Review By: Matthew boals
This review was updated on 9/8/2013
Pros: A VERY beautiful and secluded park. The newest DISCatcher "28" with a practice Hole/Putting game. Two Large, 5' x 12', concrete tee pads. Two DISCatcher locations per hole. Tee signs at each tee. You'll need EVERY shot in your game! From the short somewhat wooded #9 283' (Gold tees) next to the White River. To # 14 547' Wide open into the wind bomber hole! Too #13 347' "thread the needle" & #8 386' "Open Wooded" #7 375' double dog leg & #11 fast green and EVERYTHING between!
Cons: Bring water. Built in a flood prone area. STRONG Spring storms will make it impossible to play. But for only a few days a year. Mostly flat, there is some terrain change (Old farmer Levee used as a divider between holes and the end of it used as the "Fast Green" for #11). The Rough is THICK and the wildlife COULD be Dangerous, Snakes.
Other Thoughts: Port-o-let is seasonal. The fairway grass will be getting cut at the end of Aug., Sept., Oct. The course is getting a beat down from HEAVY use. So, looking for your disc wont take to long. give yourself about 90 minutes for a round, for two players.
Wear long pants, Boots & Bug Spray.
From I-465 & Keystone Ave. its about 10 minutes to the park, many lights, traffic can be rough depending on the time of day. Give
yourself two hours to play your first round.
Hotels can be found east of I-69 north side of 96th St. ENJOY and don't forget to play the other 2 near by 18 hole courses!

Are you ready?

5+    6/21/2013   6/22/2013
Review By: MacDaddy
This review was updated on 9/8/2013
Pros: Very scenic course. Brand new Innova "28" baskets and Houck Platinum signs, 18 holes plus a practice basket/area. Large 5' x 12' brush finished concrete, Gold and Blue tees with "A" and "B" pin locations on each hole.Tons of mature trees on most holes force players to shape and plan their shots. A good drive, good approach and good putt are needed or a bogey (or worse) lurks, ready to pounce! Also some open holes to allow for some "grip it and rip it" shots. Nice variety of straight, hyzer and anhyzer shots required (sometimes on the same hole). This course will test you. Good shots are rewarded with another good opportunity, bad shots are punished. The overall course is fairly flat, but lots of "local" terrain changes. Benches at some holes, this is a long course. Recently got a port-a-let for the season and some more trash cans.
Cons: No water available, bring it. It is a heavily wooded course, bring the bug spray. The rough is still rough, but there are reductions already in the amount of schule on many holes, but still plenty of nettles and poison ivy. Can be easy to miss the small sign on Hazel Del Parkway. Go slow on the road coming in, it was recently smoothed, but it is still a gravel road....
Other Thoughts: Not a course for beginners (there are other nearby courses for that). Bring your "A" game, you will need it. Stay in the fairways, the rough swallows discs. Although in a city park, this is still a "semi-wild" property with lots of wildlife, including deer, coyotes, all kinds of small mammals, owls and tons of other birds and bees, some snakes (including some venomous ones, be careful reaching into blind areas). With two other 18-hole courses within 4 miles or so, you can make it a day! At the end of that day, you can cool off at the free mini-splash park at Lawrence W. Inlow, just north on Hazel Dell Parkway to 131st St and turn right, go 1/2 mile and turn left into the park. There is a FUN 9-hole pitch and putt disc golf course there that's good for the whole family. Great for a warmup round before playing the other courses, or for an ace-run / birdie bash at the end of the day!

1 2 Next >