Alford, FL
The Bear Share
Uploaded By: flyingdisc Hole #1 (Taken 6/2013)
Hole #1 Pro Tee

Overall Satisfied

1    8/31/2014   9/2/2014
Review By: tailorholley
Pros: There are some incredible views
Some longer holes with some shorter holes
A lot of good shot shaping
Tee pads are nice and large. Best tee pads I've ever played on.
Disc catcher baskets...always a plus.

Cons: Pay $5 and course isn't really well kept.
Holes close to the water are way over grown
Holes in the woods need weed eating
There isn't any cover from the driving range but odds are no one is going to be on it. Place is pretty low key
Other Thoughts: All in all I was impressed with this course bc the layout was challenging with a good mix of distances. There were some very scenic holes and the course wasn't in the worst shape I had ever seen. It has the potential to be an amazing course if the pay for play would drop to $1-2 and they would keep the course cut. I will definitely be back when I'm in the area

Little Lizards!

2-4    7/23/2013   8/1/2013
Review By: sstieg
Pros: -Great/friendly staff!
-All concrete tees
-Various terrains, environments, and many unique holes
-Good baskets
-Not hard to navigate with the map on the back of the score card that you get when you pay.
-Snacks and restaurant available
-Little lizards everywhere, I'll take them anytime over snakes. I just wished they would have posed for a picture. Fast little suckers
Cons: -Only about 8 long tees
-Cost $5 plus tax
-last 2 holes located by the golf driving range and there is no protection from flying golf balls from errant shots.
-tee pads are not flush with the ground and have drop offs on the front of the bad when following through
-mosquitos were heavy on 3 holes after the lake holes.
-wooded holes could still use some trimming, but they were very playable. It is a new course after all.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed this course, but it could be much better! I was on vacation for the week in Panama City Beach and the courses offered there, Joe Moody and Under the Oaks, just aren't enough. This course gave me the disc golf fix I needed to get through the week. The drive was only about an hour long and the traffic was not a problem. The course took about 1.5 hours to play for the two of us. We played the 2 rounds, short tees and then the long tees (well, the ones that had them). I wish the course offered some longer holes, but it was still very fun to play. I read somewhere that this was a "championship course" and I don't think that is the case. I shot a 50 and a 55 respectively, but if they make more long tees for every hole, it very well could be. I really loved the long tees on hole 4 and 12. If I come back to Panama City for a whole week, I would make the trip again.

Tons of Potential

1    7/25/2013   7/25/2013
Review By: DiscKey
Pros: Great area (camping, lake, cabins, restaurant)
Friendly people
Tee boxes
Benches
Easily navigated (basket paint to next tee)
Cons: Baskets(chains) will be some spit-outs
Too many short holes 8 or 9 of them under 260'
No water kegs on course
Don't really transition back to parking area after hole 2
Other Thoughts: This land has a ton of potential to be an excellent course! The shots are there, just need to be lengthened by 80-150', especially on the short holes. Course par from the long pads is maybe 56..... Only two holes that are true par 4's (15 and 18) and 15 is well.... You'll see. Tee pads are great, good lengths on holes that need a little further run up..... Some of them need to be shored up so the my don't crack from being undermined.

A great Bear

1    6/22/2013   6/23/2013
Review By: flyingdisc
Pros: -Nice area
-Variety of shots for both skilled and am's
-Office and snack bar
-Friendly staff
-A lot to offer at course location
-New benches, concrete tee pads, and tee signs at every hole
-Pro and Am tee pads at some holes
-Numerous disc golf courses within an hour drive in three directions
-Water, trees, and elevation all come into play
-Map and scorecards at office
-Practice basket
Cons: -$5 to play
-Little off the beaten path
- Not much disc golf supplies
-No large map of the course
Other Thoughts: Let me say at this writing I have been playing for two years. With that I thoroughly enjoyed playing this brand new course. Off of Hwy 231 between Panama City and I-10 you will find Compass Lake. A nice lakeside community with a new disc golf course. Along with disc golf the area offers boat rentals, a pavilion for cookouts, a ball golf driving range, and we even saw some horseback riders. Very friendly staff who is very excited about getting their name in the disc golf community. At the office they do have a snack bar, disc golf sets for players who may have forgotten their discs, maps and scorecards for the course.
1st three holes are good warm up holes. From hole 4 on you need to be warmed up as you get into the first wooded area of the course. One of the great things about this course is that it plays in and out of the woods. Water comes into play on only two holes, in the middle of the course, but fulfills a desire for more water hazards. Each hole has new everything: Baskets, tee signs, benches, and some of the largest concrete tee pads I have ever played on which is really nice. Directions for next hole are fairly easy as each basket has orange paint to mark the direction of the next tee pad. This comes in handy, but the office also provides scorecards with maps. Hole 11 is really cool as you are throwing towards the lake from about 300' with the basket around 20' from the lake! As you may want to launch a disc on this one, be careful and take into consideration the wind coming off the lake that you really don't notice until it lifts your disc and you have more glide time. Lot of fun though. The course offers both hyzer and anhyzer shots in the woods on short and long holes. Plenty of open shots mixed in as well and with the elevation make for a fun course.
Played both Pro and Am tees and somehow did better playing the pro tees. Scorecards are still very new at this point and some holes may have a par 4 that don't really need it, so we played all 3's except for hole 18. One of the guys who played with us brought a disc golf cart.......said never again. Only bathroom I remember was at the office. No water coolers on course however they do sell water for $.50 per bottle. While I do really enjoy the Bear the $5 all day play fee is the most I have seen. Practice basket located behind office on the left side. Course opens at 8 a.m. but check with the office for hours as I believe they are different on Sundays.
Overall a really fun course for both the beginner and advanced player. Will definitely be playing here as much as I can.