Madison, WI
Capital Springs Share
Uploaded By: illyB420 Hole #7 (Taken 6/2013)

Good starter course, needs to grow

1    7/1/2014   7/13/2014
Review By: bdjohns1
Pros: Like its sister Dane County course Vallarta-Ast, it's immaculately maintained, with good tee signage showing the hole.

The layout does make good use of the hillside it's built on and around.

It's short. If you've got good accuracy off the tee, this is the place to go if you want to farm some aces. If you're new to the game, you don't need a monster arm to make par.
Cons: It's short, even from the long tees. I don't think there's a single hole that a pro couldn't do in 2 throws.

You're not too far from Madison's wastewater plant, so it can smell a little funky as you're on the north side of the course in the woods (12-14)

The mosquitos on 12-14 can be crazy. I played the day after some rain, and I had to basically run 12-14 to avoid leaving a pint low on blood.

I don't think it's worth the $8 day rate by itself yet. I live a few minutes from Vallarta, so having a 2nd course on my annual pass is just a bonus.
Other Thoughts: With trees growing in to add challenge to a few more holes on the front 9, I could bump this up to a 3.5 rating. Without retooling, I don't think you could really make it long enough to be a pro-caliber course.

Rewards precision

2-4    6/30/2014   6/30/2014
Review By: zdwyatt
Pros: Like its sister course, Vallarta-Ast, this course is incredibly well maintained. It has nice signs, concrete tees boxes, benches, and trash cans at nearly every hole. The fairways are well-marked by mowing. The relatively short holes also makes this a great option for quick rounds.
Cons: There is a definite lack of variety, as most holes are wide open. A few of the holes will get more difficult as trees along the fairways mature.
Other Thoughts: This course fills a good niche in the area. As others have noted, the holes run short; nearly all are ace candidates. But I don't think this makes the course easy or boring. I see it as an exercise in precision and control. It's very easy to overshoot baskets and end up in deep rough. What this course lacks in shaped shots it makes up for in demanding accuracy.

As the course matures, it might rank as "excellent." For now, I will call it "good," with an added bonus for being so immaculate.

friendly open course

2-4    6/7/2014   6/9/2014
Review By: PVAPE
Pros: Wide open course with pro and normal tees. Great signage. Able to drink on the course. Well worth the fee to play. Spent the day there so much fun.
Cons: My newbie drives found the rough a few times. Dense rough that would be expected.
Other Thoughts: Few trees in the course compared to what I was expecting. Pleasant to see the local critters running around in the woods.

Decent Course

1    5/20/2014   5/21/2014
Review By: ZombieAssaultTeam
Pros: Clean, well maintained. Benches and trash cans at every hole, concrete tee pads. Short course if your looking to get in a quick 18 before or after work.
Cons: Not very challenging. Every tee is ace'able from the pro tees. Every hole should be a par 2, but some are rated as par 4s which is way to giving. Ive only been playing little over a year and I found no challenge in this course. If your looking for your first ace, come here, I'm sure you will get it!
Other Thoughts: As others stated, its a very well maintained course worthy of Token Creek, but the holes are very short, its basically up and down the same hill on almost every shot. Great course in a compact area, so no complaints if this is the only course within your area, but if your making the drive, go play Token Creek with your same season pass.

Disappointingly Open

1    10/10/2013   4/14/2014
Review By: ScottC
Pros: Very nicely kept course in a very scenic prairie area. The baskets and new, the tee pads are concrete and very nice. The hole markers and the paths to the holes are all very well done. The mowing is phenomenal, and the grass is soft and squishy even for as late in the year as I played.
Just about every hole is an ace attempt.
The back 9 is more challenging.
Benches and garbage cans in many great spots.
Watched a beautiful sunset from the top of hole 18.
Cons: The front 9 are boring and really not very challenging at all. I don't find myself to be a great disc player, but I was extremely disappointed when I went here. I wanted to try out some of the Madison courses while I was in the area. Played at Heistand Park, which was a lot of fun, and had this as another spot to play at. Was a little hesitant when I paid for my pass (the openness of the course is very obvious from the get go) but tried it out. I didn't feel challenged. Perhaps if you're completely new to the sport, you might, but I wanted a little meat.
Every shot was a bird. Sure, it feels good, but so does sugar or bacon.
The back 9 did turn a bit more challenging, but there was still little reason to be concerned, and pretty much every hole could be aceable.
I'm not good enough to ace, but for a more advanced player, and to me personally, this would just be boring.
Other Thoughts: Would I play this if it was in my backyard and easily accessible? Most certainly. It's definitely better than playing in a soccer field, but for the other options that around Madison, this one definitely falls down on my list.
I wanted to get this review out because I went here based on these ratings, and I found them to be misleading. I'm not trying to shoot this course down, it has a lot of positives about it.

Tokken with elevation

5+    7/29/2013   7/31/2013
Review By: beeyang78
Pros: The course is very open with a lot of elevation. There are two tees and three pin positions on every hole except the island hole. From the short tees, everything is reachable and you may not need a distance driver. From the long tees, you will need to take out your drivers and let'em fly. The front 9 are all open, but then it starts to get interesting after that. You will find some fun holes from 11-16. After that, it becomes open again. The fairways are really well mowed.
Cons: The rough is too thick and tall. It is very easy to lose a disc or take a long time to find a disc. There are too many open holes with no obstacles other than elevation and wind.
Other Thoughts: Overall, I think this is a great addition to the county system. They have Vallarta-Ast which is flat and then if you want elevation, you go to Capital Springs.

Another Great Addition to the Madison Area Courses

2-4    6/28/2013   6/28/2013
Review By: rompa11
Pros: This course creates 18 fun, challenging holes by utilizing the terrain very well. The holes play mostly through a rolling, open prairie before diving into a forest filled with large oaks, then returning to the prairie again. Approximately 12 of the holes play through an open field, where much of the challenge is derived from utilizing elevation and having control of your disc in what may be at many times windy conditions. Another challenge in the open holes is the rough, which is quite thick. This isn't to say it is unfair, because the fairways are very wide. You will only be punished if you have a "very bad" shot. Most "bad" shots will find themselves on the outer edges of the fairway. During the round I played wind speeds were moderate, but strong enough to make me to think carefully about disc selection and disc flight lines. Once the course enters the woods, disc control and shot shaping become important. The lines aren't overly tight, and the rough is more forgiving should you careen off a tree. Holes 9 and 18 are both fun downhill tosses combined with very wide fairways, allowing for a variety of ways to attack the basket. Hole 16 is an island green hole, where your drive must land inside a roughly 60 foot diameter landing area or else you must re-tee from a drop zone. It's a creative idea that was utilized at Vallarta-Ast as well, and is a welcome addition at Capital Springs, too.

Other Pros:
-There's a port-a-potty by the main kiosk
-Plenty of parking
-Beautiful scenery comprised of prairies, wetlands, and some nice views on top of the rolling hills
-Well-manicured, with large flared tee pads, nice tee signs, and garbage receptacles at all holes (think Vallarta-Ast if you have played it).
Cons: The open holes can be repetitive, even with the elevation changes. There just aren't a lot of trees to force you to shape your shots. This means many of the open hole baskets can be attacked with a RHBH, RHFH, overhand, etc., with equal results as the challenge comes from distance and wind control more than anything. This isn't a bad feature of a course on a few holes, but it occurs here more often than not. Another con I noticed was the proximity of some holes to one another. There are a few times where an errant drive will drift onto another tee pad or fairway. I had to jump over a disc on the hole one tee pad that would have taken me out at the shins if the guy teeing off at 9 hadn't given a loud "fore".
Other Thoughts: Overall, this is a fun course now that will only get better as it gets more "beat in", if you will. Right now, I can see the rough being an issue for those who don't have a great control of their game, and occasionally an issue for those who do. As the course gets played more, though, it won't be such a challenge to find an errant shot.

I can also see the wind factoring heavily on how difficult the course is on a given day, with the majority of the holes being open.

All in all, this course is another great addition to the Madison area. With at least 6 great courses within a half-hour drive, Madison is becoming a great destination for disc golf in the Midwest.