Madison, WI
Capital Springs Share
Uploaded By: illyB420 Hole #17 (Taken 6/2013)

2-4    9/19/2014   9/21/2014
Review By: wolfhaley
Pros: The course is set up in a nice park in an area that is dedicated to disc golf only. The baskets are all beautiful brand new Mach 5's. These catch great and are one of the best baskets out there. There are two sets of great concrete tees on every hole. These are all level and grip very nicely. The tee signs here are decent. They have the hole #, par, distances and the 3 pin locations marked. These serve their purpose just fine. These are the exact same type they have at Token creek, capital Springs sister course. There's a decent amount of elevation change here. That combined with the wind are going to be the main challenges here. The course is very well maintained. There are multiple benches and trash cans throughout the course. The navigation here is a breeze. The course flows awesome from hole to hole. There's a nice large kiosk at the parking lot with a nice map and other disc golf info posted on it. There's also a restroom here which is nice. The wooded holes on 12-14 and 15 slightly to an extent at the end are the best part of this course for sure. The "island" hole on 16 is very cool. They have one on just like this at Token Creek too. It helps make up for some of the lack of other obstacles.
Cons: the $8 a day to play this course is insane. If you couple it with Token creek it makes it a lot easier to stomach the cost. These two together at least make it worthwhile for the price. Almost every hole here feels the same as the last. The course is seasonal so it's not up during the winter. This is a con as this would actually be a really fun winter course. Not really a con as there's nothing anyone can do about it but the mosquitoes are insane on the few, actually fun wooded holes. We played in late September and there were literally clouds of them. I've only seen worse on a few courses ever. Seriously. It kind of stinks because it makes it hard to enjoy the few enjoyable holes here. The prairie rough can get pretty rough in the summer I'd imagine.
Other Thoughts: This course is just not very exciting. Period. 13 of the 18 have literally no trees in play. It's just wide open prairie holes. It's a great course for newbies. Many ace opportunities can be had here, but for even average players this will just be a bland course. Don't go out of your way to play here. If you're in the area Hiestand and Elver are way superior and are "only" $5 a day to play both. With that said this is still a fun course, just not very challenging to most experienced players. I'd bump this rating up quite a bit if it weren't for the price.

Disappointingly Open

1    10/10/2013   4/14/2014
Review By: ScottC
Pros: Very nicely kept course in a very scenic prairie area. The baskets and new, the tee pads are concrete and very nice. The hole markers and the paths to the holes are all very well done. The mowing is phenomenal, and the grass is soft and squishy even for as late in the year as I played.
Just about every hole is an ace attempt.
The back 9 is more challenging.
Benches and garbage cans in many great spots.
Watched a beautiful sunset from the top of hole 18.
Cons: The front 9 are boring and really not very challenging at all. I don't find myself to be a great disc player, but I was extremely disappointed when I went here. I wanted to try out some of the Madison courses while I was in the area. Played at Heistand Park, which was a lot of fun, and had this as another spot to play at. Was a little hesitant when I paid for my pass (the openness of the course is very obvious from the get go) but tried it out. I didn't feel challenged. Perhaps if you're completely new to the sport, you might, but I wanted a little meat.
Every shot was a bird. Sure, it feels good, but so does sugar or bacon.
The back 9 did turn a bit more challenging, but there was still little reason to be concerned, and pretty much every hole could be aceable.
I'm not good enough to ace, but for a more advanced player, and to me personally, this would just be boring.
Other Thoughts: Would I play this if it was in my backyard and easily accessible? Most certainly. It's definitely better than playing in a soccer field, but for the other options that around Madison, this one definitely falls down on my list.
I wanted to get this review out because I went here based on these ratings, and I found them to be misleading. I'm not trying to shoot this course down, it has a lot of positives about it.