Unique and Punishing...Huckers Beware!
5 Helpful / 1 Not
Pros: - Beautiful landscaping throughout the entire course.
- Very different feel to it over your typical Michigan wooded course. Imagine playing through a marshy area with rolling hills.
- Really cool elements adorn the entire course like all the water hazards, the cool little itty bitty waterfall behind the #3 basket.
- The design is for the most part brilliant and will challenge players of every skill level. A number of design elements really stand out. #7 has a crazy fast green. #3 dares you to make an aggressive approach with a nasty little water hazard behind it. #9 is 420' where almost all of it is over water. YIKES! #12 is interesting because you toss into a circle of pine trees through a small gap.
- #8 to me has to be the signature hole at over 500' and a double dog-leg AND a water hazard. Just redonkulous.
- The tee signs are - for the most part - gorgeous and do a great job outlining the hole and illustrating hazards. I've never seen tee signs so nice.
- Not hucker friendly. (Yes this is a pro) If you're the type that carries warp speed drivers in dx plastic with your Red Bull and pack of smokes you're probably not going to have anything to throw after hole 6 other than your can of go go juice and cancer sticks. If this is you, just stick to Winstron Preserve.
- New baskets, great concrete tees and benches on some holes.
- Very little trash and some cans throughout the course.
- I'm not sure I've ever seen a course with this many scary water hazards.
- And if you haven't already guessed this course really rewards accuracy over distance with it's narrow fairways and abundant water hazards. You might be able to toss it 400' but if you can't do it accurately, the Greenspace is going to punch you square in the mouth and then as you're laying on the canvas there'll be some kicks to the ribs while you're down.
Cons: - The most glaring con is some design issues that IMHO probably out to be addressed. This is what in my standards holds this course back from what should be 4.5 to a 3.5:
1. The 6 basket is practically in the 7 fairway. While hitting players on the 6 green is unlikely because the 7 tee is so much higher this just shouldn't happen with all the space on this property. If I am teeing off on 7 and someone is on 6 green that's going to be distracting as all get out.
2. With the water on 9 players are going to be tempted to cheat to the right to avoid the water on the left side. This puts you right in the line of fire from the #2 tee.
3. I really did not care for the blind over the hill shot on #11 because you miss the fairway to the left a little and you are whizzing discs right over the #12 tee.
4. The course ends on what I feel is a rather odd pair of holes compared to the rest of the course. 17 is a wide open flat shot and then 18 has the basket between a shed and pole barn. Sort of weird and anticlimactic for a course like this.
Design issues aside...here are some more minor thingys:
- The fairways are lined with long grass. A.K.A. prairie disc golf HELL. When this stuff is in midsummer form and growing thickly bring spotters. Or figure on spending copious amounts of time searching for discs.
- While this course flows really nicely from hole to hole there are a few spots where a next tee sign would be nice. 7 to 8 is a great example. You have to go back over the bridge to get to the #8 tee.
- Some of the gorgeous tee signs are not weathering so well. I think it was either #7 or #6 where a lot of the graphics are wearing off. Hate to see that happen to the rest of them.
- This course is brutal for those learning the game. I think newbies are going to be frustrated with a course like this where the potential to loose expensive plastic is pretty high. To me, this course desperately needs some short tees.
Other Thoughts: So it seems I've beat this course up pretty good. Maybe it's just my reaction to being abused by the Greenspace so mercilessly. Regardless, the Greenspace did not find the kind of favor for me like it did the other reviewers here. It is a fantastic course no doubt but it does have it's issues. With the amount of space that is apparently available it could be better - much better. This should be a 4.5 course all day long and maybe a 5.0 in my book but alas I would not be able to sleep well at night giving it any better than a 3.5.
Worry not lovers of the Greenspace because I will say this: This to me is a must play course. If you are anywhere near here - play it. It's probably the most unique DG experience in this part of Michigan. I never thought such a lightly wooded course could be so good. But be careful, because if you aren't careful with your game here expect a kick right square in the family jewels.
5 of 6 people found this review helpful.
A very good course
5 Helpful / 3 Not
-Great tee pads
-Lot's of variety
-Challenging for all skill levels
-Super variety. Moderate hills. Wide open. Trees. Great water holes!
-Benches at every hole.
-Scenic and atheistically pleading to the senses!
-First 9 holes are very very rough ugh
-Front nine offers a great chance to lose discs
-Snakes galore!! Saw at least 5 in the front nine. Most garter.
-Not many garbage cans on course
-Gigantic unidentified biting insects. Nuclear power plant close by has probably mutated these plants and animals.
-Front nine more secluded than back nine
Other Thoughts: -------
-Summer months long grass stay on fair way or you will be sorry.
-Play conservative front nine it will pay off in a better score
-Wind will always play a huge factor on this course. Understand your discs and if you bomb throw it like me there is a high chance of list discs if it goes in this rough.
-Rough is really rough. Ughhhhhhhh. Please cut the grass more. It would make it so much funner.
-Front nine was super challenging. Wind and rough played big factors. Back nine much funner and easier.
-Good navigation except hole 17 to 18 you need to cross street.
-Loved this course!! With some better upkeep I would rate it higher. I am looking forward to late fall abd early spring rounds here. My hunch is it will be an easier place to play and more enjoyable with less grass to deal with.
-I am rating this first time I played. I feel a 3.5 is fair. It is a very good course I plan on playing it much more! I do think the fun factor will be much greater at certain times of year.
-This course has a lot going for it! With time it will be better and I am sure with proper upkeep my rating will go up.
5 of 8 people found this review helpful.
Great Course But Some Bad Design
3 Helpful / 2 Not
Pros: Very challenging hole layouts
Cons: Bad design choices on some holes.
2 holes are designed to throw directly towards the parking lot, 12 & 18 (gonna be trouble)
Hole 16 has you throwing over 15's teepad and over 14's basket at the same time(needs a mando maybe)
Hole 18 (bring a ladder) basket is way to close to private building. Lots of people are gonna be in the parking lot or on the roof of that building.
3 of 5 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.