Mt. Pleasant, MI
Deerfield Park - Wildwood Share
Uploaded By: BogeyNoMore Hole #18 (Taken 7/2013)
Hole #18 Long Tee Area

Great addition

5+    1/17/2015   8/18/2015
Review By: stndpenguin
- Multiple pads per hole
- Great teepads, length and grip
- AMAZING finishing hole over water onto a boulder
- Punishing rough, risk vs reward
- Its hard to nitpick these two courses so.. "Theres no beercart girl"
Deerfield park really has turned into the best spot for disc golf in the area and is what I use to judge all other courses. Its hard to not review the 2 together because as a whole they make as close to the best of the best that Michigan has to offer.

Hole 18 of wildwood is a raised teepad, over water, with its basket on a boulder.. You'll unload every disc in your bag at it because its just FUN. Watch out for the ob road behind it though ;)

A great addition!

1    4/14/2015   4/15/2015
Review By: bglrabbit
Pros: I finally played Wildwood for the first time, and I had an amazing time! This course is absolutely as good as the original 18, if not a little better.
- Set in a really well-maintaned park out away from all the hustle and bustle of the city.
-Very clean and taken care of. The fairways are maintained and look great. I never once had to second guess where the pin was or where I needed to drive.
-Signage is simple but great, just like the original, but in different colors, so it is almost impossible to confuse tees between the Original and the new 18. Plus, the new 18 have "Wildwood" stamped into the concrete tee pads, which I think is an awesome addition that looks great!
-Long and short tees make this course fun for any skill level, but I like how the short tees are not always the easier tees to drive from.
-Wildwood uses Discraft ChainStars instead of the Original 18's Innova pins, which means, once again, that it is almost impossible to get mixed up between the two courses.
-Varying topography, along with a lot of different types of holes, means this course is entertaining and interesting, but it keeps you on your toes.
-The back 9 is my favorite, thanks to some long open drives with some great scenic views.
-Hole 18 is AWESOME! The water and the elevated pin are very well placed. The long tee is elevated which makes it a little easier to make the long drive necessary to clear the water, while the short tee is close enough that even beginners might be tempted to drive across the pond.
-Scorecards with course maps on the back are almost always available at the entrance to Hole 1.
Cons: -Wildwood weaves in and out of the Original 18 quite a bit, which can make it a bit confusing for newcomers, but honestly, the awesome signage and different types of pins makes it almost impossible to get lost.
-Due to the fact that the two courses do mingle quite a bit, on busy days there is going to be a lot of people, noise, distractions, and traffic all concentrated into a small area, but with 36 holes and alternate tees on every single hole, I can't see this becoming a huge problem.
-On the back 9 of Wildwood, you do have to watch out for cars on the main driveway. Wouldn't want to drive your prize disc into their windshield, or have them run over it in the middle of the road!
-Just like the Original 18, Hole 9 does not take you right back to where you parked for Hole 1, but this isn't a deal breaker even in the slightest.
-For those who like to use a lot of ground when driving, BEWARE! A lot of the tee pads have rock piles built up right in front of the pads on the pin side. Would't want to twist an ankle on your follow through! Just start further behind the pad...
Other Thoughts: $6 daily to get into Deerfield Park, or $25 for an annual pass (recommended). However, the gate attendant isn't there half the time, so it's a hit-and-miss whether you have to pay or not.

Hole 8 is a "T" hole, where the long tee is at the base of the "T", and the "short" tee that isn't much shorter is at the end of the right arm of the "T". Pin is at the end of the left arm.

This course blew me away. I really enjoyed my first time playing it all the way through. Up until now, I have only played Original. Now, I will definitely be playing all 36 as much as possible. Deerfield is truly a gem for the Mid-Michigan DG community. I look forward to many more rounds at Wildwood!

Very impressive course

1    9/14/2013   9/14/2013
Review By: killmodell
Pros: Best tee pads I've played...long with an extra section in front with name of course is a great touch.
The holes are varied and quite challenging and play very differently depending on long or short tees.
Navigating from hole to hole was a piece of cake.
Cons: I suppose having to pay 6 bucks a car can't be considered a pro, but two out of three times no one was there to collect...
Other Thoughts: We have played here three times now, both courses, and have seen ZERO pieces of trash. Coming from mostly city parks, we can't begin to tell you how impressed we were. We will play here EVERY time we come up to our cottage forever :)
You all should be very proud of what you have created here... A fantastic 36 holes in a beautiful and friendly park.
PS. LOVED the pear tree !!!

Unadultered and in perfect condition. A new favorite.

1    8/11/2013   8/13/2013
Review By: apparition
Pros: + Above all other pros for this course, the most important is that Wildwood is in incredible condition for being so new - it already seems seasoned
+ Rough is not too harsh - really, I promise!
+ Only three holes where a spotter is a good idea
+ Immersive layout maximizing the benefits of the wooded environment and terrain changes
+ Appealing and almost perfectly balanced hole layouts with evolving changes in pin placement, distance, tree coverage, obstacles, risk vs reward, etc.
+ Almost perfect tee signage: different colors with hole #, par, and length
+ Dual concrete tees of appropriate size engraved with "Wildwood" at the ends (just long tees?)
+ Short tees sometimes change holes completely (ie. #8), rather than simply shortening the distance or providing a cleaner look
+ Fairly easy to navigate due to awesome Next Tee signs pointing in the right direction; walking paths have already taken shape (except for #1 pin to #2 tee)
+ We never got confused about Wildwood vs Deerfield
+ Signature hole: #18! Loved it!
+ Several other memorable holes
+ Appropriate par levels throughout
+ Combined with Deerfield... wow
+ Clean nature area with more going on, but the course area is devoted to disc golf (except Original hole #2's volleyball court that I've never seen in use)
+ Pay to play = clean, sustainability
Cons: - Only one Next Tee sign for each hole, but one for each tee (or additional blue/white arrows) would be perfect
- We missed one of the long tees due to the directional arrows, but the short tee had a huge rock behind it and the hole was a straight ace run, so we liked it
- The tee signs could be improved by diagramming pin position (use the map and look ahead)
Other Thoughts: I don't know why, but I have this strange feeling that Wildwood is in its perfect condition right now and will only get easier and less visibly stunning over time. I am so happy with how the course was designed and finished and I don't want to see it change.

Several times while playing Wildwood, I was reminded of the Toboggan course in all its disc crushing glory. The Toboggan course earned its reputation and maintains it in part because it's not permanent. Every year it's in pristine condition because it's not open long enough for it to get thrashed. Right now, that's how Wildwood feels. The fairways and walking paths are carved and crisp, the rough isn't overwhelming but it definitely increases risk vs reward, and the disc golf is really exciting. My advice is to play here as soon as possible. Do not wait until next season. If you're at all interested in that glorious pristine and unadultered experience of throwing through woods that haven't been changed by mother nature or destroyed by juvenile delinquent disc golfers, you HAVE TO come play Wildwood now.

That being said, Wildwood is simply an exciting and fun course. The only minor issue that could be altered to bring Wildwood up to 5/5 for me, is if they added layout diagrams to the tee signs and added separate directional signs for Blue vs White tees. I'll be a little bummed as the course begins to grow in popularity and Deerfield becomes a major Michigan hotspot for top notch disc golf with more crowds and whatnot, but I can't imagine there will ever be a course closer to me that I like more than Wildwood. If you've heard hype about Wildwood, believe it. If you haven't, start hyping it up!

Thank you for reading!