Manchester, CT

Beautiful grounds

1    7/23/2014   8/18/2014
Review By: Will_S
Pros: - Hands down the most beautiful park I've ever played

- Did a great job utilizing the elevation changes which lead to a lot of challenging shots
Cons: - Took me forever to find the right parking lot. May be a good idea to ask the gate attendant how to get back there.

- Some holes seemed unnecessarily long and open. Those didn't feel very rewarding.

- Make sure you have a course map for some areas. Finding the next tee can be tricky in a few areas
Other Thoughts: The bird sanctuary is cool and the grounds are beautiful. During my week in the area this course was my second favorite after Maple Hill. I'd go back and play this course in a heartbeat.

1    7/6/2014   7/17/2014
Review By: JohtoVillage
Pros: Wickham Park was truly a fun course and we had a great time playing it. Here are my pros:

1) Absolutely wonderful signage. The signage could not be any better, as they were full color and had distances, OB, trees, paths, etc.

2) The course had great variation on the distances. Its not often you play a 720 foot par 4 and then a few holes later play a short but challenging 156 foot par 3.

3) I play disc golf for the workout and for the enjoyment and you will get both of those playing this course. The course can be challenging to walk but I actually like getting a good workout.

4) The course actually had some nice elevation. Hole 7 and the first temporary hole offered some nice downhill opportunities. Even though hole 7 was a little on the boring side off the tee, the downhill makes it more exciting as does the view of the skyline.

5) This course had a nice mix of open and wooded holes. I would consider about half of the holes wooded and half of the holes more open. I love a good variety!

6) In general, I thought the course was designed very well with the land they had to work with. There are no water hazards but they still did a great job with the actual design.
Cons: This was a really enjoyable course so I really don't have a lot of cons. Here they are:

1) It was a little confusing to find the "extra" holes. You essentially walked up a hill and then across the fairway of another hole to get to the first of the extra holes. It just felt wrong even though it ended up being right. It was just a bit strange to walk across a fairway to get to them so just keep your eyes open for discs.

2) Its highly recommended you use a map to navigate the course. I definitely would have been lost without it. The front gate to the park (this is a pay to play park) has a great, full color map so take advantage of it.

3) I am a huge fan of longer, more open holes but unfortunately some of the holes here were just a little too open. I wouldn't classify them as boring by any means but a lot of the longer holes were lacking obstacles. The designers essentially did what they had with the land but holes 7, 11 and 12 literally had nothing in the way of obstacles. The only obstacle we had that day was wind. Hole 12 in particular was a 489 foot shot over an open field with no obstacles. Its too long for a par 3 and too short for a par 4. I don't mind longer holes and in fact prefer them but would like to see a few more obstacles on the longer holes.

4) I am not a huge fan of artificial OB and hole 9 had this feature. Its a sharply turning, LHBH or RH flick hole that has a really tough fairway with some low hanging pines. Throwing the OB into play just makes it a little gimmicky in my opinion.

Don't take my cons in a negative way. All in all this course is VERY enjoyable and I rated it Excellent.
Other Thoughts: This course actually had a neat little bird sanctuary after hole 11 that was pretty neat. I always like to point out non disc golf things in the park to entice your significant others to come with you (if you are a guy and your wife or girlfriend is tagging along). Also, the park offers some absolutely stunning views of the Hartford, CT skyline. I would highly recommend this course!

Time for Wick to drop some $!

5+    6/30/2014   6/30/2014
Review By: Duke CT
Pros: The alternate tee on 8 is the only one I play. It makes it a great hole and a helluva par 3.

The long pin placement on 9 is excellent and makes the hole a challenging par 4. However, both alternates are out of sight and there's no sign for them, they are seldom played.

The pros have been covered well so I won't delve into them.
Cons: The park makes a bundle of $$ off disc golf. They really should invest on more baskets so that you can choose which pin placement you want to play on 13, 14, 18 & perhaps 17. They are not changed enough.
Other Thoughts: During clover season, June forward, bring your bee sting meds if you have a problem with them.

Wickham, Once More

5+    5/19/2014   5/28/2014
Review By: Mythy
Pros: Beautiful scenery, and wonderous variety of terrain, distance, elevation change and throwing turns on the holes...

Ask for your FREE, high quality stock, color map scorecard at the front gate and you shall receive!!!

Spacious level rubber tee pads!

So many reviews have covered most of this course thoroughly. So I'll say this:

This was the first course I played and every time I play it I come up with something new to like about it. So nice that the most central, easiest place to meet up in the state is such high quality... I'm told "professional Level"... whatever that means :)

Seriously though... don't miss out... Play this course... often if possible.
Cons: This is a popular spot for gatherings of like 24+ people on the weekends... and frequently they like to camp out by a hole (usually 18, sometimes 7) usually completely oblivious to what is going on less than 20 feet away... throw with an aboundance of caution lest you hit a wayward child in one of these gatherings or sunbather on 7's hill

No water hazards or even scenic water :(

Limited Restrooms along course

$5 parking per car (so it's kind of pay to play)

Wooded holes can be saturated with water/up to 3" of mud... not always but enough where investing in some fairway wood chips might be wise and would certainly raise my rating.
Other Thoughts: Perhaps the most popular course in Connecticut and central in the state so a great meet up point... "Ballyhooed" an appropriate word? Yeah... probably...

But for all that I've never had a bad time here.

Recently they moved the pins to Alt placements on 13, 14 & 15... can't wait until the return of the wooded 100 foot from the tee 50 foot downhill blind drop on hole 14 to return... so classic

Long holes for beginners

2-4    7/4/2013   8/3/2013
Review By: Paintray98
Pros: Nice open space and wooded holes. Great for exercise hiking the course.
Cons: Long holes. Holes only have one tee pad (from what I could tell). It might be a good idea to add a second tee pad on the really long holes for the beginners out there.

Also if it is a busy park day you may have to wait a while to play a hole because pedestrians have the right of way. Hole 18 is notorious for this as it is a great picnic spot and you may have to stop your play there if someone is picnicking in the middle of the hole.
Other Thoughts: All in all, a good course to run

A Fantastic Surprise

1    7/7/2013   7/10/2013
Review By: reposado
This review was updated on 6/30/2014
Pros: I arrived at Wickham Park at the edge of exhaustion. It had been a long three days. That morning had already included a long walk across Manhattan and a drive from the city to Hartford. After dropping off a friend at the bus station, I sought out the nearest course, hoping for a quick round with sleep primarily on my mind. It was well over 90 when I exited the car and found a big group ahead of me and another car pulling behind me. It didn't look promising. Consulting the map, I jogged up the parking lot to where I could jump in at the seventh tee. I looked down from the tee, a manicured slope led to a sharp dogleg around a bank of trees. To the right, the slope met a broad forest and behind it, The Hartford skyline loomed. Well, that was invigorating.

There wasn't a hole that topped seven, but there was a ton of variety. Hole 8 was another bomb, a straight shot across 640 feet with a guarded cage that presents a serious challenge to par. The landscape is consistently perfect. The fairways are manicured lawns. The obstacles are sprawling, healthy-looking tress. After a few shorter holes, 11 is another bomb but running parallel to a tree line on the left, frustrating RHFHs like myself.

The walk from 11 to 12 is on the long side, but it does pass directly by the aviary and more importantly, a snack shack. (It may be ironic that I came up from the south to swelter in the Connecticut heat, but I was never so glad to find someone selling Gatorade.)

Hole 12 provides one last chance to air it out before heading into the woods. The next four wooded holes are a nice experiment with elevation changes in the woods. You go up, then down, up then down before the woods give way to fields once more.

The last two holes(if you played them in the proper order) would feel like a victory lap. They are probably the two easiest holes on the map. Straightforward shots across an open lawn. The last climbs gradually towards the parking lot where you likely started.

Hole 1 actually would have been a nice starting spot. Downhill, with the hole tucked to the left, a big patch of rough in the way and a nice landing spot to the right for your drive. Hole two transitions to the woods. Still on lawn, but with the woods tight on the right and trees to the left as well. A very narrow fairway for an open hole, a wide fairway for a woods hole.

The next few are wooded, and man, these are are my type of wooded holes. The lines are tough but they are there. There are trees that force you to shape your shot but an absence of underbrush. It's all very clean. Dry soil, fallen leaves and bare trunks.

It wasn't what I was expecting. I hadn't researched. I hadn't read reviews. It was the closest course to the bus station. It was the closest to where I happened to be when I pulled up DGCR. I would have been happy with a quick eighteen. What I found was a fantastic surprise.
Cons: The transition from sixteen to seventeen is strange. From sixteen, it would make more sense to go to the eighteenth tee.

Definitely bring a map. They give you one at the gate, so it's not a real con, but the natural layout isn't the greatest in terms of finding the next tee at times.

The bonus holes are merely mediocre. I would not do them in the middle of the course. Save them for the end since they definitely interrupt the flow. They'd fit right in at most courses, but compared to how good all the other holes are at this course, they seem out of place.

2-4    6/24/2012   6/29/2012
Review By: ryan35
Pros: Challanging holes, big open fairways and also some in the woods. Not too much elevation in the woods until the back 9. Open field shots have some uphill and some downhill. I found driving in the woods wasnt too horrible either. not too many immediate trees to mess up drives. well maintained, people were doing upkeep while we were there so you know its gets attention
Cons: great course so its more populated than any I have been to yet, I understand some afternoons they have small tournaments so you may have to wait to play depending on when you get there. we went at noon on a weekday. Maybe weekends are busier. 4 bucks to park isnt that bad. Distance on some can be overwhelming for newer players but I still reccomend trying it at least once
Other Thoughts: Until I went here most of my golfing was in wooded areas. I need to work on my open field driving before I can really succeed here. went with 3 others and we all thought it was great. Kinda far from my home so cant go there as much as I would like to but since we were there we played 18 twice. I would reccomend it if you cant go there much like me. bring some drinks and snacks and play 18 again =)

Feel free to let 'em rip

1    8/16/2011   8/22/2011
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: Very well maintained 18 hole course in a very nice private park. Lots of other family activities on sight. Clean bathrooms available at the Nature Center.

Like I said, well maintained. The open holes are freshly mowed and the wooded holes have almost no overgrowth or brush to lose discs in. Just a clean, country club feel to this course.

Almost an even mix of very open holes and wooded holes. If you like to throw drivers and watch them fly this is a good course for you. #1 starts you out with a 540' downhill bomb. And there are about 6 or 7 more open holes waiting for you to test your arm.

The remaining holes are wooded and fairly technical. While I wouldn't say you have to shape lines on this course, you do have to be able to hit a gap in the woods. With no accuracy the wooded holes could eat you up.

A very good use of elevation on this course. I was pleasantly surprised to find this in CT. There are some long open downhill shots and a couple steep wooded holes where the elevation is used well. Really a lot of fun.

Really no bad holes. There are some long holes and a few short ace runs in the woods. Nice mix to keep you from getting bored.
Cons: Rubber tee pads or natural pads. I slipped on a couple of the rubber pads. They are mostly in good shape, but this is an area where the course could get better.

You definitely need to bring a map if it's your first time. It's a long course with some long transitions. They are made even longer when you can't find the next tee. Some navigation signage would really help.

Almost all the long holes are wide open. Almost all the wooded holes are short. Maybe not a con, but a long wooded hole that requires some shot shaping and planning is always nice.
Other Thoughts: Just a very nice course that allows you to really let loose. On several of the open holes basket positions also add a little difficulty when you're lining up your approach shot.

Lots of big mature trees and freshly cut grass. Huge park and a long spread out course. Definitely put this on your wish list and get there if you are in CT.

Lovely Park Course With Cool ACE Plaques On Tee Signs!

1    8/5/2011   8/11/2011
Pros: It's easy to see that Wickham Park and it's disc golf course both receive a tremendous amount of loving care and attention. This is one pretty park. There is a kiosk with a map and all kinds of pertinent information at the start. The teesigns are great, full color with distance, par, name of the hole, basket position, elevation loss/gain, sponsers and yjry are mounted on two sturdy poles. And I have never seen this before but on some of these poles they have these little plaques screwed to the pole with the names of players who have ACED this hole during tournies or league play. So # 5 which is a nice little 198' downhill ACE run, has 13 plaques honoring those players who have ACED it. Very cool indeed! And # 8 is a long 640' hole with three plaques for players who have eagled it. I would like to have seen those shots. The pads are rubber. They're OK, I prefer concrete. I would like to see brooms at each pad. That would be a nice touch here. There is a great mix of open bomber holes and tight, technical wooded holes.

I thought # 7 was an absolutely EPIC hole, 600' down a beautifully sloping fairway to a basket down at the bottom of the hill. Plus an amazing view in the distance. It's an empty your bag type of hole.
Cons: I would have liked have had some help with the navigation. Maybe some simple little arrows up in some trees or a how about hanging some small metal "next tee" signs from the bottom of the baskets? I wasn't real thrilled with a couple of the long throws across open fields. They seemed kind of boring and mundane and the grass was just long enough and damp enough that I wasn't having any luck rolling on them. Plus I'm the original weiney arm so 700' across an open field is not my thing.
Other Thoughts: I arrived at the park too early one morning and found the front gate closed with a sign saying it wasn't open until 9:30. What kind of park doesn't open until 9:30? So I parked across the street in the apartments and preceeded to walk the long walk attempting to find the disc golf course. After a seemingly mile walk up past the avairy, past hole #12 and beyond, I finally found the start. I was about tanked out by then but I guess the good news was, I did save the park entry fee.

Beautiful Park Course

1    6/10/2011   6/10/2011
Review By: JHern
Pros: I have to start by saying that this is an absolutely gorgeous park, with wonderful views, and immaculately maintained. The park entry fee is put to very good use. The land is a mix of small and large tree swaths, wide grass stretches, and all set on a rolling hill landscape.

I didn't know it before playing, but there are 4 extra holes on the course! These can be played after hole 5, and are labelled A,B,C,D. Hole A tee is on the right side of fairway 6, and the rest wind back and forth through woods, and loop back to tee 6.

Holes like 1, A, 7, 12 are moderately long but play over wide open downhill stretches of emerald green manicured grass, and make you feel like you can throw farther. If they hit the right lines, a 350'-400' flat ground thrower can get close to these positions. I wish I had brought more discs, I'm sure I would have emptied my bag on hole 7.

I was in awe when, after teeing off on 7, I walked out into the open and finally noticed the great view of downtown Hartford in the distance. I wished I had my camera with me.

The course is well-organized, rubber tees are on every hole, the baskets are in good shape, the tee signs are nice and have sponsors, etc., which makes me think that the local club does indeed play a big role in building and developing the course. The park staff probably mow the grass and take care of everything else...a super nice arrangement.

I like the variety of holes. The more tree-dense holes force you to play a variety of different directions. Hole 9 essentially forces you to throw a roller off the tee, which is cool. The topography makes short holes like 5 a bit more challenging...it is hard to not overthrow some of them. Some of the basket placements are strategically placed behind trees, forcing low approaches through modestly narrow openings (e.g., 1, A, 8, ...).

Older players will enjoy all the roller opportunities in the manicured grass.

There are clean bathrooms and facilities. There are also barbeque grills, etc., if you wanted to hang out and eat/picnic.
Cons: I refuse to downgrade a course rating based on silly things like how difficult it is to navigate a course the first time you play it. After you play it once, such concerns no longer matter. There is a nice map on the board at tee 1, but it is hard to remember it all. If you have the opportunity, and you're playing it for the first time, find a local guide, or print off a map before you go. If the club ever has a chance, they might consider putting "next tee" arrows on the baskets and maybe a few signs to help out with the tough transitions (e.g., 11-12) for out-of-towners.

My biggest con is that it seemed like the course is designed to flatter the player and make one feel like they are a better player than they actually are, and there were no holes that really humble you and make you feel challenged (or maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment). Generally, I didn't feel that the course was challenging enough to stand up to its reputation and rating. Even the longest toughest holes are relatively modest par 3s in my book. I didn't have much trouble finding my lines in even the tightest wooded holes (e.g., hole 3 from the long tee).

It also seemed that hitting a tree here or there still allowed for relatively easy upshots for par. The punishment wasn't severe enough. Still, I think a local thrower coming up at this course would develop a lot of skill, although they might struggle if they travel to play tournaments at tougher courses.
Other Thoughts: Note: I only play the longest pads/layouts...I can't comment on the short pads/layouts.

The park staff at the front gate were fairly ignorant about the course, and had no useful information to offer. Perhaps the club could print off course maps/scorecards that they could hand out at the front gate of the park upon request?

I asked some guys how much an annual pass for the course costs, and they said it was $100. That's a pretty nice deal, especially for people living in the area who can play it 2+ times per week.

Oh yes, if you are traveling down I-91 to the course, the freeway signs suggest a connector to I-84, I think it was I-291. Exit 60 is to the west of the intersection with I-84, but you can't get to it if you turn onto west I-84. It is a little tricky, so maybe plan your route before you come if you're not familiar with the area.

< Prev 1 2 3