Manchester, CT
Wickham Park Share
Uploaded By: justin Hole #4

2-4    6/24/2012   6/29/2012
Review By: ryan35
Pros: Challanging holes, big open fairways and also some in the woods. Not too much elevation in the woods until the back 9. Open field shots have some uphill and some downhill. I found driving in the woods wasnt too horrible either. not too many immediate trees to mess up drives. well maintained, people were doing upkeep while we were there so you know its gets attention
Cons: great course so its more populated than any I have been to yet, I understand some afternoons they have small tournaments so you may have to wait to play depending on when you get there. we went at noon on a weekday. Maybe weekends are busier. 4 bucks to park isnt that bad. Distance on some can be overwhelming for newer players but I still reccomend trying it at least once
Other Thoughts: Until I went here most of my golfing was in wooded areas. I need to work on my open field driving before I can really succeed here. went with 3 others and we all thought it was great. Kinda far from my home so cant go there as much as I would like to but since we were there we played 18 twice. I would reccomend it if you cant go there much like me. bring some drinks and snacks and play 18 again =)

5+    6/25/2012   6/25/2012
Review By: MikeAx
This review was updated on 4/8/2014
Pros: Great course, extremely well maintained and laid out. The multiple pin and tee placements offer variety to an already diverse course. There is a solid mix of distance and finesse shots, plus 4 bonus holes.

1    6/17/2012   6/18/2012
Review By: Franky4fangaz
Pros: bring plenty of drivers this course offers sum of the longest drives ive ever seen..7th hole is by far the nicest view ive ever shot nice view of downtown hartford..signs were fantastic except for 8 it was hidden in sum trees..
Cons: this is a big big park lots of people everywhere we actually had to skip 3 because of a group of 6 and 3 little kids playing and they wouldnt let us play through(it was 2 of us)
Other Thoughts: can not wait to play again it was about a hr drive and worth it..my arm still hurting from all the bombs you get to throw...i highly recommend you play this course if you are any where near the area

Best course I've played yet

5+    8/16/2011   8/27/2011
Review By: markfohara
Pros: Great course layout, no two holes are alike. There are shots in the woods, shots in the open, and hills that make the course fun rather than frustrating
Cons: There aren't enough trash cans around. I always see beer cans and other garbage laying around. I don't mind picking it up if there's somewhere to put it.
Other Thoughts: If you haven't been to this course yet, go there. I've been from Ct to Ca, and there's nothing like this anywhere. My friend lived in Tx and said this course is better than anything out west.

Very Nice!

1    8/9/2011   8/25/2011
Review By: kskog
Pros: Well maintained. Clean. Beautiful course. Good diversity. A must play!
Cons: Hard to find any. Can get busy. Could use a good map or a sign or two from 11 to 12 and then to 13.
Other Thoughts: The nicest course I've played. Looking forward to playing it again! What is better than this, I can't wait to find out!

Feel free to let 'em rip

1    8/16/2011   8/22/2011
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: Very well maintained 18 hole course in a very nice private park. Lots of other family activities on sight. Clean bathrooms available at the Nature Center.

Like I said, well maintained. The open holes are freshly mowed and the wooded holes have almost no overgrowth or brush to lose discs in. Just a clean, country club feel to this course.

Almost an even mix of very open holes and wooded holes. If you like to throw drivers and watch them fly this is a good course for you. #1 starts you out with a 540' downhill bomb. And there are about 6 or 7 more open holes waiting for you to test your arm.

The remaining holes are wooded and fairly technical. While I wouldn't say you have to shape lines on this course, you do have to be able to hit a gap in the woods. With no accuracy the wooded holes could eat you up.

A very good use of elevation on this course. I was pleasantly surprised to find this in CT. There are some long open downhill shots and a couple steep wooded holes where the elevation is used well. Really a lot of fun.

Really no bad holes. There are some long holes and a few short ace runs in the woods. Nice mix to keep you from getting bored.
Cons: Rubber tee pads or natural pads. I slipped on a couple of the rubber pads. They are mostly in good shape, but this is an area where the course could get better.

You definitely need to bring a map if it's your first time. It's a long course with some long transitions. They are made even longer when you can't find the next tee. Some navigation signage would really help.

Almost all the long holes are wide open. Almost all the wooded holes are short. Maybe not a con, but a long wooded hole that requires some shot shaping and planning is always nice.
Other Thoughts: Just a very nice course that allows you to really let loose. On several of the open holes basket positions also add a little difficulty when you're lining up your approach shot.

Lots of big mature trees and freshly cut grass. Huge park and a long spread out course. Definitely put this on your wish list and get there if you are in CT.

Lovely Park Course With Cool ACE Plaques On Tee Signs!

1    8/5/2011   8/11/2011
Pros: It's easy to see that Wickham Park and it's disc golf course both receive a tremendous amount of loving care and attention. This is one pretty park. There is a kiosk with a map and all kinds of pertinent information at the start. The teesigns are great, full color with distance, par, name of the hole, basket position, elevation loss/gain, sponsers and yjry are mounted on two sturdy poles. And I have never seen this before but on some of these poles they have these little plaques screwed to the pole with the names of players who have ACED this hole during tournies or league play. So # 5 which is a nice little 198' downhill ACE run, has 13 plaques honoring those players who have ACED it. Very cool indeed! And # 8 is a long 640' hole with three plaques for players who have eagled it. I would like to have seen those shots. The pads are rubber. They're OK, I prefer concrete. I would like to see brooms at each pad. That would be a nice touch here. There is a great mix of open bomber holes and tight, technical wooded holes.

I thought # 7 was an absolutely EPIC hole, 600' down a beautifully sloping fairway to a basket down at the bottom of the hill. Plus an amazing view in the distance. It's an empty your bag type of hole.
Cons: I would have liked have had some help with the navigation. Maybe some simple little arrows up in some trees or a how about hanging some small metal "next tee" signs from the bottom of the baskets? I wasn't real thrilled with a couple of the long throws across open fields. They seemed kind of boring and mundane and the grass was just long enough and damp enough that I wasn't having any luck rolling on them. Plus I'm the original weiney arm so 700' across an open field is not my thing.
Other Thoughts: I arrived at the park too early one morning and found the front gate closed with a sign saying it wasn't open until 9:30. What kind of park doesn't open until 9:30? So I parked across the street in the apartments and preceeded to walk the long walk attempting to find the disc golf course. After a seemingly mile walk up past the avairy, past hole #12 and beyond, I finally found the start. I was about tanked out by then but I guess the good news was, I did save the park entry fee.

1    7/31/2011   7/31/2011
Review By: MrHighlandPark
Pros: Some of the best signage I've seen - full color with easily identifiable landmarks. Great variety in the course design with short technical holes, and wide open max-d fields. This course is located on a beautiful property that has flower gardens and places to picnic. The well manicured lawns make finding discs quick and stress-free.
Cons: I held off on five stars, because 3 or 4 of the 18 holes are just wide open bombs that don't force any specific shot. One hole like that is a beautiful thing, but the others could benefit from a giant tree or some sort of mando.
Other Thoughts: Can't wait to go back. This is a great, well-rounded course that I wish was closer to me. One of the nicest that I have played.

Beautiful Park Course

1    6/10/2011   6/10/2011
Review By: JHern
Pros: I have to start by saying that this is an absolutely gorgeous park, with wonderful views, and immaculately maintained. The park entry fee is put to very good use. The land is a mix of small and large tree swaths, wide grass stretches, and all set on a rolling hill landscape.

I didn't know it before playing, but there are 4 extra holes on the course! These can be played after hole 5, and are labelled A,B,C,D. Hole A tee is on the right side of fairway 6, and the rest wind back and forth through woods, and loop back to tee 6.

Holes like 1, A, 7, 12 are moderately long but play over wide open downhill stretches of emerald green manicured grass, and make you feel like you can throw farther. If they hit the right lines, a 350'-400' flat ground thrower can get close to these positions. I wish I had brought more discs, I'm sure I would have emptied my bag on hole 7.

I was in awe when, after teeing off on 7, I walked out into the open and finally noticed the great view of downtown Hartford in the distance. I wished I had my camera with me.

The course is well-organized, rubber tees are on every hole, the baskets are in good shape, the tee signs are nice and have sponsors, etc., which makes me think that the local club does indeed play a big role in building and developing the course. The park staff probably mow the grass and take care of everything else...a super nice arrangement.

I like the variety of holes. The more tree-dense holes force you to play a variety of different directions. Hole 9 essentially forces you to throw a roller off the tee, which is cool. The topography makes short holes like 5 a bit more challenging...it is hard to not overthrow some of them. Some of the basket placements are strategically placed behind trees, forcing low approaches through modestly narrow openings (e.g., 1, A, 8, ...).

Older players will enjoy all the roller opportunities in the manicured grass.

There are clean bathrooms and facilities. There are also barbeque grills, etc., if you wanted to hang out and eat/picnic.
Cons: I refuse to downgrade a course rating based on silly things like how difficult it is to navigate a course the first time you play it. After you play it once, such concerns no longer matter. There is a nice map on the board at tee 1, but it is hard to remember it all. If you have the opportunity, and you're playing it for the first time, find a local guide, or print off a map before you go. If the club ever has a chance, they might consider putting "next tee" arrows on the baskets and maybe a few signs to help out with the tough transitions (e.g., 11-12) for out-of-towners.

My biggest con is that it seemed like the course is designed to flatter the player and make one feel like they are a better player than they actually are, and there were no holes that really humble you and make you feel challenged (or maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment). Generally, I didn't feel that the course was challenging enough to stand up to its reputation and rating. Even the longest toughest holes are relatively modest par 3s in my book. I didn't have much trouble finding my lines in even the tightest wooded holes (e.g., hole 3 from the long tee).

It also seemed that hitting a tree here or there still allowed for relatively easy upshots for par. The punishment wasn't severe enough. Still, I think a local thrower coming up at this course would develop a lot of skill, although they might struggle if they travel to play tournaments at tougher courses.
Other Thoughts: Note: I only play the longest pads/layouts...I can't comment on the short pads/layouts.

The park staff at the front gate were fairly ignorant about the course, and had no useful information to offer. Perhaps the club could print off course maps/scorecards that they could hand out at the front gate of the park upon request?

I asked some guys how much an annual pass for the course costs, and they said it was $100. That's a pretty nice deal, especially for people living in the area who can play it 2+ times per week.

Oh yes, if you are traveling down I-91 to the course, the freeway signs suggest a connector to I-84, I think it was I-291. Exit 60 is to the west of the intersection with I-84, but you can't get to it if you turn onto west I-84. It is a little tricky, so maybe plan your route before you come if you're not familiar with the area.

excellent

1    10/24/2010   10/26/2010
Review By: disc gopher
Pros: GREAT HOLES. GREAT LAYOUT. GREAT MAINTENANCE. GREAT COURSE.

some of the most interesting holes i have ever seen. other reviewers seem to have covered hole-by-hole breakdowns so i wont go into that. great signage, easy navigation.

lots of gardens and other stuff to see or do around here. Wickham park is a great place for anyone, especially us disc golfers.
Cons: $5 to get in the park, although its well worth it.
LONG WAITS. waits waits waits waits. expect to wait 10-15 minutes per hole if you're in a group of two or playing by yourself. to an out-of-towner, it seemed as if hardly one around this particular area believes in etiquette. they didnt even say hello to me and the person i was playing with. they didnt acknowledge us at all or let us play through.
Other Thoughts: go play this course.now.or else.