Manchester, CT
Uploaded By: justin Hole #16

Wickham Park

5+    9/5/2013   9/10/2013
Review By: museparade
Pros: Nice open course; good for beginners. Well-maintained. Nice long tee pads. Nice mixture of long and technical holes
Cons: If you want to park in the park, you have to pay (at least one weekends).
Other Thoughts: Avoid the parking fees by parking down the street and walking to the course.

Long holes for beginners

2-4    7/4/2013   8/3/2013
Review By: Paintray98
Pros: Nice open space and wooded holes. Great for exercise hiking the course.
Cons: Long holes. Holes only have one tee pad (from what I could tell). It might be a good idea to add a second tee pad on the really long holes for the beginners out there.

Also if it is a busy park day you may have to wait a while to play a hole because pedestrians have the right of way. Hole 18 is notorious for this as it is a great picnic spot and you may have to stop your play there if someone is picnicking in the middle of the hole.
Other Thoughts: All in all, a good course to run

A Fantastic Surprise

1    7/7/2013   7/10/2013
Review By: reposado
This review was updated on 6/30/2014
Pros: I arrived at Wickham Park at the edge of exhaustion. It had been a long three days. That morning had already included a long walk across Manhattan and a drive from the city to Hartford. After dropping off a friend at the bus station, I sought out the nearest course, hoping for a quick round with sleep primarily on my mind. It was well over 90 when I exited the car and found a big group ahead of me and another car pulling behind me. It didn't look promising. Consulting the map, I jogged up the parking lot to where I could jump in at the seventh tee. I looked down from the tee, a manicured slope led to a sharp dogleg around a bank of trees. To the right, the slope met a broad forest and behind it, The Hartford skyline loomed. Well, that was invigorating.

There wasn't a hole that topped seven, but there was a ton of variety. Hole 8 was another bomb, a straight shot across 640 feet with a guarded cage that presents a serious challenge to par. The landscape is consistently perfect. The fairways are manicured lawns. The obstacles are sprawling, healthy-looking tress. After a few shorter holes, 11 is another bomb but running parallel to a tree line on the left, frustrating RHFHs like myself.

The walk from 11 to 12 is on the long side, but it does pass directly by the aviary and more importantly, a snack shack. (It may be ironic that I came up from the south to swelter in the Connecticut heat, but I was never so glad to find someone selling Gatorade.)

Hole 12 provides one last chance to air it out before heading into the woods. The next four wooded holes are a nice experiment with elevation changes in the woods. You go up, then down, up then down before the woods give way to fields once more.

The last two holes(if you played them in the proper order) would feel like a victory lap. They are probably the two easiest holes on the map. Straightforward shots across an open lawn. The last climbs gradually towards the parking lot where you likely started.

Hole 1 actually would have been a nice starting spot. Downhill, with the hole tucked to the left, a big patch of rough in the way and a nice landing spot to the right for your drive. Hole two transitions to the woods. Still on lawn, but with the woods tight on the right and trees to the left as well. A very narrow fairway for an open hole, a wide fairway for a woods hole.

The next few are wooded, and man, these are are my type of wooded holes. The lines are tough but they are there. There are trees that force you to shape your shot but an absence of underbrush. It's all very clean. Dry soil, fallen leaves and bare trunks.

It wasn't what I was expecting. I hadn't researched. I hadn't read reviews. It was the closest course to the bus station. It was the closest to where I happened to be when I pulled up DGCR. I would have been happy with a quick eighteen. What I found was a fantastic surprise.
Cons: The transition from sixteen to seventeen is strange. From sixteen, it would make more sense to go to the eighteenth tee.

Definitely bring a map. They give you one at the gate, so it's not a real con, but the natural layout isn't the greatest in terms of finding the next tee at times.

The bonus holes are merely mediocre. I would not do them in the middle of the course. Save them for the end since they definitely interrupt the flow. They'd fit right in at most courses, but compared to how good all the other holes are at this course, they seem out of place.

Bring your best to CT's best.

1    7/14/2012   7/14/2012
Review By: TBabb
Pros: Baskets are in good condition. There are two pin positions on many holes. Tee pads are rubber, level and in great shape. Tee signs are present on every hole and not only show distance but also give the elevation change for each hole.

This is probably one of the most challenging courses I've ever played. Elevation is used on almost every hole. The fairways are very well defined. The grass is well cut and the rough is ROUGH. This course will test your distance and technical chops. There are a few huge bomb holes and a good mix of open vs. wooded holes, which is really nice to have in CT. The course is clean, there are benches at most holes. There is also a nice little optional 4-hole loop marked A-D that can extend your round to 22 holes.

Wickham Park is a beautiful park. Hole 7 is probably the best hole in the state: a 600 ft bomb going down hill with good breezes to carry your disc some extra distance while overlooking the Hartford Skyline. The course will require every disc in your bag (and you might wish you had more). According to the park's website, they do rent discs here, so even though the course is very challenging, it's a great place to bring newbies to. The park also has a number of other amenities (gardens, aviary, nature center, other sporting grounds and a bird sanctuary). Public restrooms are on site and there is a nice little concession stand where you can buy hot dogs, nachos, grilled cheese, drinks, ice cream and snacks. A great way to top off a very humbling round of disc golf.
Cons: THIS COURSE NEEDS NEXT TEE SIGNS. Navigation is difficult. The signage for the course upon entering the park was also slightly confusing. I ended up parking in the lot up by hole 12 thinking I was in the right spot. I ended up starting in the 4-hole A-D loop not realizing that I wasn't even at the beginning of the course until I finished. I recommend going with someone who has played the course before. Also, there were a few significant hikes between holes (e.g. between 11 and 12). You do have to pay to park here ($3 weekdays, $5 weekends) but it's worth every penny. I also would have liked to have had a practice basket.
Other Thoughts: I've played many of the courses in CT now and knowing what I've seen and what I've heard about others, it can't get much better than this. The navigation was a little frustrating the first time around, but now that I know I don't foresee it being a problem next time. Come with a full bag, a fresh arm, cause you will leave exhausted.

Lack of signs pointing to next hole

1    7/12/2012   7/12/2012
Review By: McGorry
Pros: Nicely spread out course. Skyline Vista of Hartford makes the course.
Cons: Between holes 12 and 13 there is no sign at all telling you where to go and there are about 5 different ways to go. Trying to track down the next tee totally ruined this experience for me. Although the signs at the beginning of each tee are full-colored only some of them tell you where the next tee is. Above all, this is the most important piece of information that you can post on a sign. Or, another thought is to put up a sign near the basket directing you to the next tee - AT LEAST for this transition between 12 and 13! Going from 12 to 13 wasn't too bad as you pass the refreshment stand and there are signs posted telling you where the next tee is.
Other Thoughts: A rating should be based on overall experience - I've played horrible courses that are well labeled and get you from basket to tee easily, and I think more people should take this into account for travelers who want to play courses that are highly ranked. I think that just for this reason this course should not get such a high rating. Why post great signs if it doesn't let you navigate the course well?

2-4    6/2/2012   7/3/2012
Review By: bradharris
Pros: Players in central Connecticut love Wickham Park and it's easy to see why. The course sits on a clean, very well maintained park. The course seems to be treated with the same care and attention that the rest of the park receives.

Great signage gives you all the information you need and then some in a nice, clean way.

Wickham is a very large park and the course uses the space well. It is spread out well to avoid interference between holes. The varied terrain provides for some open bomber holes as well as shorter technical wooded holes. All making use of varying degrees of elevation change.

Limited OB is used to add a little more intrigue to otherwise boring holes.

I played here during a pretty strong rainstorm and had no issues with water on the course.

Overall, the course plays fair with reasonable punishment for bad shots and nice reward for good ones.
Cons: Being a nicely spread out course makes navigation pretty tricky. A map or guide is a must for a first-timer on the course.
Other Thoughts: Disc golf is just one of the many attractions Wickham Park has to offer. So this is a great place to bring the family, have a picnic and really spend a full day at the park.

2-4    6/24/2012   6/29/2012
Review By: ryan35
Pros: Challanging holes, big open fairways and also some in the woods. Not too much elevation in the woods until the back 9. Open field shots have some uphill and some downhill. I found driving in the woods wasnt too horrible either. not too many immediate trees to mess up drives. well maintained, people were doing upkeep while we were there so you know its gets attention
Cons: great course so its more populated than any I have been to yet, I understand some afternoons they have small tournaments so you may have to wait to play depending on when you get there. we went at noon on a weekday. Maybe weekends are busier. 4 bucks to park isnt that bad. Distance on some can be overwhelming for newer players but I still reccomend trying it at least once
Other Thoughts: Until I went here most of my golfing was in wooded areas. I need to work on my open field driving before I can really succeed here. went with 3 others and we all thought it was great. Kinda far from my home so cant go there as much as I would like to but since we were there we played 18 twice. I would reccomend it if you cant go there much like me. bring some drinks and snacks and play 18 again =)

5+    6/25/2012   6/25/2012
Review By: MikeAx
This review was updated on 4/8/2014
Pros: Great course, extremely well maintained and laid out. The multiple pin and tee placements offer variety to an already diverse course. There is a solid mix of distance and finesse shots, plus 4 bonus holes.

1    6/17/2012   6/18/2012
Review By: Franky4fangaz
Pros: bring plenty of drivers this course offers sum of the longest drives ive ever seen..7th hole is by far the nicest view ive ever shot nice view of downtown hartford..signs were fantastic except for 8 it was hidden in sum trees..
Cons: this is a big big park lots of people everywhere we actually had to skip 3 because of a group of 6 and 3 little kids playing and they wouldnt let us play through(it was 2 of us)
Other Thoughts: can not wait to play again it was about a hr drive and worth it..my arm still hurting from all the bombs you get to throw...i highly recommend you play this course if you are any where near the area

Best course I've played yet

5+    8/16/2011   8/27/2011
Review By: markfohara
Pros: Great course layout, no two holes are alike. There are shots in the woods, shots in the open, and hills that make the course fun rather than frustrating
Cons: There aren't enough trash cans around. I always see beer cans and other garbage laying around. I don't mind picking it up if there's somewhere to put it.
Other Thoughts: If you haven't been to this course yet, go there. I've been from Ct to Ca, and there's nothing like this anywhere. My friend lived in Tx and said this course is better than anything out west.