Manchester, CT
Wickham Park Share
Uploaded By: justin Hole #6

Lovely Park Course With Cool ACE Plaques On Tee Signs!

1    8/5/2011   8/11/2011
Pros: It's easy to see that Wickham Park and it's disc golf course both receive a tremendous amount of loving care and attention. This is one pretty park. There is a kiosk with a map and all kinds of pertinent information at the start. The teesigns are great, full color with distance, par, name of the hole, basket position, elevation loss/gain, sponsers and yjry are mounted on two sturdy poles. And I have never seen this before but on some of these poles they have these little plaques screwed to the pole with the names of players who have ACED this hole during tournies or league play. So # 5 which is a nice little 198' downhill ACE run, has 13 plaques honoring those players who have ACED it. Very cool indeed! And # 8 is a long 640' hole with three plaques for players who have eagled it. I would like to have seen those shots. The pads are rubber. They're OK, I prefer concrete. I would like to see brooms at each pad. That would be a nice touch here. There is a great mix of open bomber holes and tight, technical wooded holes.

I thought # 7 was an absolutely EPIC hole, 600' down a beautifully sloping fairway to a basket down at the bottom of the hill. Plus an amazing view in the distance. It's an empty your bag type of hole.
Cons: I would have liked have had some help with the navigation. Maybe some simple little arrows up in some trees or a how about hanging some small metal "next tee" signs from the bottom of the baskets? I wasn't real thrilled with a couple of the long throws across open fields. They seemed kind of boring and mundane and the grass was just long enough and damp enough that I wasn't having any luck rolling on them. Plus I'm the original weiney arm so 700' across an open field is not my thing.
Other Thoughts: I arrived at the park too early one morning and found the front gate closed with a sign saying it wasn't open until 9:30. What kind of park doesn't open until 9:30? So I parked across the street in the apartments and preceeded to walk the long walk attempting to find the disc golf course. After a seemingly mile walk up past the avairy, past hole #12 and beyond, I finally found the start. I was about tanked out by then but I guess the good news was, I did save the park entry fee.

1    7/31/2011   7/31/2011
Review By: MrHighlandPark
Pros: Some of the best signage I've seen - full color with easily identifiable landmarks. Great variety in the course design with short technical holes, and wide open max-d fields. This course is located on a beautiful property that has flower gardens and places to picnic. The well manicured lawns make finding discs quick and stress-free.
Cons: I held off on five stars, because 3 or 4 of the 18 holes are just wide open bombs that don't force any specific shot. One hole like that is a beautiful thing, but the others could benefit from a giant tree or some sort of mando.
Other Thoughts: Can't wait to go back. This is a great, well-rounded course that I wish was closer to me. One of the nicest that I have played.

Beautiful Park Course

1    6/10/2011   6/10/2011
Review By: JHern
Pros: I have to start by saying that this is an absolutely gorgeous park, with wonderful views, and immaculately maintained. The park entry fee is put to very good use. The land is a mix of small and large tree swaths, wide grass stretches, and all set on a rolling hill landscape.

I didn't know it before playing, but there are 4 extra holes on the course! These can be played after hole 5, and are labelled A,B,C,D. Hole A tee is on the right side of fairway 6, and the rest wind back and forth through woods, and loop back to tee 6.

Holes like 1, A, 7, 12 are moderately long but play over wide open downhill stretches of emerald green manicured grass, and make you feel like you can throw farther. If they hit the right lines, a 350'-400' flat ground thrower can get close to these positions. I wish I had brought more discs, I'm sure I would have emptied my bag on hole 7.

I was in awe when, after teeing off on 7, I walked out into the open and finally noticed the great view of downtown Hartford in the distance. I wished I had my camera with me.

The course is well-organized, rubber tees are on every hole, the baskets are in good shape, the tee signs are nice and have sponsors, etc., which makes me think that the local club does indeed play a big role in building and developing the course. The park staff probably mow the grass and take care of everything else...a super nice arrangement.

I like the variety of holes. The more tree-dense holes force you to play a variety of different directions. Hole 9 essentially forces you to throw a roller off the tee, which is cool. The topography makes short holes like 5 a bit more challenging...it is hard to not overthrow some of them. Some of the basket placements are strategically placed behind trees, forcing low approaches through modestly narrow openings (e.g., 1, A, 8, ...).

Older players will enjoy all the roller opportunities in the manicured grass.

There are clean bathrooms and facilities. There are also barbeque grills, etc., if you wanted to hang out and eat/picnic.
Cons: I refuse to downgrade a course rating based on silly things like how difficult it is to navigate a course the first time you play it. After you play it once, such concerns no longer matter. There is a nice map on the board at tee 1, but it is hard to remember it all. If you have the opportunity, and you're playing it for the first time, find a local guide, or print off a map before you go. If the club ever has a chance, they might consider putting "next tee" arrows on the baskets and maybe a few signs to help out with the tough transitions (e.g., 11-12) for out-of-towners.

My biggest con is that it seemed like the course is designed to flatter the player and make one feel like they are a better player than they actually are, and there were no holes that really humble you and make you feel challenged (or maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment). Generally, I didn't feel that the course was challenging enough to stand up to its reputation and rating. Even the longest toughest holes are relatively modest par 3s in my book. I didn't have much trouble finding my lines in even the tightest wooded holes (e.g., hole 3 from the long tee).

It also seemed that hitting a tree here or there still allowed for relatively easy upshots for par. The punishment wasn't severe enough. Still, I think a local thrower coming up at this course would develop a lot of skill, although they might struggle if they travel to play tournaments at tougher courses.
Other Thoughts: Note: I only play the longest pads/layouts...I can't comment on the short pads/layouts.

The park staff at the front gate were fairly ignorant about the course, and had no useful information to offer. Perhaps the club could print off course maps/scorecards that they could hand out at the front gate of the park upon request?

I asked some guys how much an annual pass for the course costs, and they said it was $100. That's a pretty nice deal, especially for people living in the area who can play it 2+ times per week.

Oh yes, if you are traveling down I-91 to the course, the freeway signs suggest a connector to I-84, I think it was I-291. Exit 60 is to the west of the intersection with I-84, but you can't get to it if you turn onto west I-84. It is a little tricky, so maybe plan your route before you come if you're not familiar with the area.

excellent

1    10/24/2010   10/26/2010
Review By: disc gopher
Pros: GREAT HOLES. GREAT LAYOUT. GREAT MAINTENANCE. GREAT COURSE.

some of the most interesting holes i have ever seen. other reviewers seem to have covered hole-by-hole breakdowns so i wont go into that. great signage, easy navigation.

lots of gardens and other stuff to see or do around here. Wickham park is a great place for anyone, especially us disc golfers.
Cons: $5 to get in the park, although its well worth it.
LONG WAITS. waits waits waits waits. expect to wait 10-15 minutes per hole if you're in a group of two or playing by yourself. to an out-of-towner, it seemed as if hardly one around this particular area believes in etiquette. they didnt even say hello to me and the person i was playing with. they didnt acknowledge us at all or let us play through.
Other Thoughts: go play this course.now.or else.

Best course in the area.

2-4    10/10/2010   10/10/2010
Review By: JB Brownstone
Pros: Most tees have rubber matting and a map to show where the hole is anf how far from each tee. Also some holes are very scenic and are nice to be able to just sit, take a break, and enjoy the view. Some holes don't have both pro and amatuer tees; some are just one tee for all. Great course for all styles of play. some holes in open fields, in heavy/light wooded areas, some big hills, and some half and half.
Cons: There was no maps/scorecards for players to take with them to navigate and such, though they are'nt really needed. Also, when i played, there was a wedding taking place so we had to skip a hole and go back to it after. Also, the amatuer tees are not rubber matted, they are just marked by bricks in the ground.
Other Thoughts: Great and relaxing all around course and park. In between holes 11 and 12 there is a bird zoo area, restrooms, vending machines,water fountains, and playground.

Exellent Variety

5+    9/17/2010   9/22/2010
Review By: maninthebox
Pros: Awesome course. Great use of elevation changes, great mix of hole styles and lengths. Wickham has exactly what I'm looking for in a well-designed course. First, there are many difficult holes that make you work for pars (while not being so difficult that a par is impossible), combined with many holes that present very reasonable birdie opportunities (while not being 'gimmes'). This makes for a challenging, yet rewarding round of golf. And second, the approximately 50/50 mix of wooded/open holes is excellent, and most of them utilize the constant elevation changes in the park to create even more diversity of holes.
Shorter Rec tees are available on some of the longer holes, which is always nice to promote amateur play. These appear on holes 1, 3, 6, 8 and 11 (but not 7, to my wife's dismay)
Baskets and tee pads are excellent, with tee signs at every hole, offering all the juicy info you need (preferred route, distance, elevation change, par, etc).
Cons: Not too many, and they're mostly picking nits. If the grass hasn't been mowed on hole 1, there is potential to lose a disc, but you can always play the rec tee to avoid that hazard. On busy days (weekends, holidays), it can be a little tricky playing the course with all the pedestrians/sunbathers/picnickers using the park. If you haven't played the course before and aren't carrying a map with you, finding some of the next tees could be very challenging, particularly 12, 13 & 17. Bring a course map with you! And of course, the biggest con is that the course closes down and they pull the baskets in the winter (November through March).
Other Thoughts: There are permanent alternate baskets on holes 2, 7 & 9, with an alternate tee for 8. There are also an additional 4 holes (A,B,C & D) sandwiched between holes 5 & 6. After finishing hole 5, take a left and walk up 6's fairway. The tee for hole A will be in the woods on the right.
The park itself is very nice, with many other attractions, including numerous gardens, children's playgrounds, athletic fields, and a cool little aviary between holes 11 & 12. Great views of the Hartford skyline from hole 7's fairway.

Best of CT

5+    8/27/2010   8/28/2010
Review By: b3nster
Pros: Impeccable fit and finish - from the tees to the maps to the landscaping. Apparent to me, after stepping up to the first tee, my first time playing, that this is where serious players go. Intuitive flow - constant mix of wooded and wide open. Plenty of elevation changes, down one basket, up on the next. Really brings a little bit of everything to the table. 2 and 5 are short and direct, the stuff of aces. 6, 8, 11 and 18 require considerable power to keep par realistic, with long straight and open fairways. 13, 14, 15 are all tight and narrow, steep elevation changes, and under heavy wooded cover.

The majority of the other baskets (I'm thinking of 1, 7, 10, 12 and 17, in particular) require a soft, usually 45-degree curve, enhanced by gentle elevation shifts. These floaty, twisting fairways are prevalent here, hence I find this to be the trademark, if anything, of Wickham, and these types of fairways can be immensely enjoyable to play on.

Cons: Great courses draw crowds and Wickham is no exception, lots of traffic (which can be great if you enjoy meeting new players, although it can slow play down). More garbage and recycling receptacles would be appreciated. Park could do a better job of offering direction to first time players, as tee 1 is on opposite end of park from main entrance. Lush stuff on left of fairway on 1 is pretty unforgiving. The walk from 11 to 12 breaks up the rhythm of the course, although it's fun to look at the aviary and stuffed beavers on the way.
Other Thoughts: Excellent course. Top-notch facility and meticulously maintained. This is easily the best course I've played in CT and by my estimation, could probably hang with any course in New England (probably one of the better courses in the country). Great mix of scenery, strategy and challenges. 7 has to be the trademark with the long, curving downhill fairway and sweeping view of the Hartford skyline. Literally a "must play".

Home Sweet Home

5+    8/20/2010   8/23/2010
Review By: Axl69
Pros: This course is beautiful, nice views, well maintained, easy to navigate. Great chill spots with benches. 4 New holes A,B,C, and D. There are usually plenty of people out playing. I am still a new guy and I enjoy watching others throw better than me.
I enjoy the variety, Hole 1) off the top of a hill down and left. Hole 2) stay low but keep it long.
Hole 3) Awesome hole if you miss those trees.
Hole 4) it's not as long as you think go easy now.
Hole 5) Lob it and stay off the grass.
Hole A) Lauch sequence initiated! stay a bit right but it is thick in those bushes.
Hole B) is a fave of mine it's blind but if you know where the pin is you'll get there.
Hole C) 2 Approach options clearly marked
Hole D) Fun is all I can say
Back to Hole 6) Long and Straight to start can you crest the 2nd hill? then hook left.
Hole 7) Long dog! just huck it and you'll see
Hole 8) Striaght down (i do prefer the short 8 pad)
Hole 9) Go left of the trees trust me
Hole 10) With a good tee shot you'll be fine.
Hole 11) My nemesis, for me it's a par 13
Hole 12) Down the hill easy enough if you over shoot it the woods are thin there and you should locate your disc easily.
Hole 13) Back into the woods for some tomahawkin if you make it to the top in one your fine.
Hole 14) Send in a spotter.
Hole 15) My tomahawk birdie hole.
Hole 16) Test of skill/luck with these scattered trees.
Hole 17) Back in the open with a cool treeline shot that can easily result in a bird.
Hole 18) Giant uphill shot kind of plain.
Wickham is my 3-4times weekly course so when I play other courses the bar is set rather high.
Cons: I don't usually care about amenities but I would like to see a couple more trash cans. I get pissed when I see bottles and butts everywhere. Over 22 holes there are only 2 trash cans and I see too much trash on the ground. I bring cigs and beers and you'll never see any of mine left behind. Pack out what you pack in. I think a couple more cans might help get that message out.
Other Thoughts: In my opinion there is only one con to this whole place and that's the jerks that throw their trash wherever they want.

BEST COURSE IN CT

1    7/5/2010   7/5/2010
Review By: leemurr6208
Pros: The Park is very easy to get to, right of 84, exit 60. The fee to enter the park is very cheap, only $5 for complete access until sunset.The park is super clean and not too crowded. The pads on each tee are very clean, and most of them had places to sit, and garbage cans to dispose of trash. The course is very wide-spread all over the park, giving you a chance to see a lot of nice views along the way. There is a nice aviary you can walk through after leaving hole 11, a good thing to see all the interesting birds. This course offers many different elevation changes on holes, not just the same old dog-leg lefts or rights... It is very challenging and offers you to perfect your skills in open fields and narrow tree shots. There were few places to misplace your disc for more than a few moments. The tees were very easy to find, most of the next tees were visible from the basket of the previous one, but having a map helps when you're not sure where you are.
Cons: Honestly the only bad thing about this park is that there are not enough signs leading to the first hole of DG. Other than that this course is perfection!!
Other Thoughts: I will be back to this course as soon as I have the chance, which will be very soon!! My girlfriend & I loved it and having played several other courses in the area, this by far is our new favorite!!

Hidden Gem?

1    5/19/2010   6/13/2010
Review By: Hamilton
Pros: This is an awesomely maintained park! Well manicured, great facilities, and very convenient to the interstate.

Chainstar baskets are in great shape and catch well. Rubber teepads are not quite as nice as concrete, but are done right and pose no issues. Plays in the open as well as in the woods. Nice variety of terrain, both uphill and downhill, which I loved. Grass well kept and while it doesn't look like they mow it once a week or anything, you won't lose a disc or anything in it.

Parking was plentiful next to the first tee. Even when busy I can't imagine it would fill up completely.

My memorable holes:
1 - Long-ish downhill hyzer shot, with a bunch of shule covering most of the land on the way down, OB. Takes a deceiving amount of distance to clear the OB, then the basket is tucked in some trees to the left (not visible from tee).
3 - Talk about a pinball hole. It takes a very accurate shot not to get caught up in all the thin trees. Uphill and no direct line, better to play safe (which unfortunately I didn't do!).
5 - Nice downhill right-turning tunnel, give it a soft anhyzer with a neutral fairway driver, and let it float on down to the basket.
6 - Says that it's only 510 feet, but plays like 1000! Uphill for several hundred feet then left, into the trees. A big arm could get lucky and have a look at a 2 with a perfect drive, but alas, that is not me.
7 - Really cool tee tucked into the edge of the woods, you throw out over a large field downhill, and the basket is in the point of another stand of trees 600 feet away. The thing that really gets you is that if you don't keep it low, it will dive wayyy left into more trees..
9 - Tough, tough, tough. Almost no line, but not much distance either. Best shot I could come up with was a severely hyzered forehand. It did not work well.
13 - Up a big gulley, about 30 feet elevation change, very, very tough shot.
18 - Finishing hole was pretty cool, up a gentle hill, then the basket guarded by some mature trees.
Cons: My biggest complaint is course flow. I suppose it is a tradeoff between flow and using the best areas of the park to make great holes, but some holes have some long walks in-between, and even with what seems like a very good map, I still had considerable difficulty finding some of the next tees. Walking between 11 and 12 was a little challenging, but got to see some cool animals in the aviary on the way. Likewise I had a little trouble finding 17's tee.

Probably not a common thing, and I won't let it factor in my rating, but when I got there mid-afternoon, they were getting ready to shut the park down. One of the very cool rangers let me go ahead and play as long as I promised to make it quick, thanks again man!
Other Thoughts: My rating of a 4 is based on this park being so well-kept, and well-designed, although a few of the holes are a little simple, but the difficult ones make up for it. It could be a 4.5 in my opinion if they upgraded to concrete tees, and improved the navigation.

If you are in the Hartford area, you HAVE to go play Wickham. From my initial research of the course, I didn't expect a lot, but it appears it is a hidden jewel. I can't wait to make it back to the area again to play it some more!