Huron, OH
Osborn Metropark DGC Share
Uploaded By: snappyfingers Hole #1 (Taken 7/2013)

The nicest looking crap course you'll see

1    6/15/2015   6/23/2015
Review By: Stardoggy
Pros: 9 hole course stuck WAYYYY back behind a nursing home, technically in a park, but kind of not really IN the park.

Once you find the course, the navigation is easy. Nice tee signs at each hole that lay out all the information you need to know.

Baskets were all in good repair and caught well. One pin position per hole.

A decent variance of distances, and well defined fairways. Several ace runs mixed in.

The course was mowed and manicured really well. Fairways were easily defined, and plenty wide. Some nice landscaping on Hole 1, with flowers and nice plants.
Cons: Two things about this course stood out to me after playing. The tee pads and the rough.

The "tee pads". What a joke, really. Small, circular spots of concrete, with purty lil' flowers and leaves imprinted. Seriously, I could barely fit my Grip bag on one, much less a human being. You'll be teeing off from the sides, so let's call it what it is, grass tee pads. What a waste of good concrete.

The rough. Oh, the rough. The rough at your course gets lessons from the rough here. it's thick, it's tall, and it eats discs. The fairways are generous and easy enough to hit, but if you miss, good luck. There's a decent chance you'll be searching for a while. Spotters are recommended, especially on the couple of blind shots.

Hole 9. I've read the reviews about how awesome it is, and I guess I don't get it. I'm not a professional player, but as a solid Int thrower, this hole is just dumb. 340' tunnel shot with a 6' canopy that closes in as it goes up. Prune down the trees a decent amount, and I'm on board. As it sits now, you're better off just throwing putters down the middle and taking your 3 or 4.
Other Thoughts: When you get to the park road, the parking for the course is going to be on your left, next to a house. There's a large sign (which is very nice), with course info pamphlets in it. All very good.

Unfortunately after that, you then have to take a quarter mile walk, past a nursing home (you can see in the windows...nothing weird about that, right?), down a path that I was sure was going to lead me to a cult seance, and up to Hole 1. I won't say I feared for my life, but I have to imagine this is the kind of trail that has led to many a crime.

To be honest, I was pretty unhappy that I played this course (it was a mile from my hotel) and didn't take the extra 15 minutes to drive somewhere else. I'm sure the designer had good intentions, but this is just a waste of baskets, in my opinion. It's beginner golf, but I would never send a beginner here because of the rough. Steer clear, if you can.

Rough Times Ahead

1    6/6/2014   6/10/2014
Review By: Derek B
Pros: 1) Low traffic
2) Well manicured fairways
3) Highlight hole : 9
4) Nice course map on kiosk and beautiful color brochure with course map to take with you at the kiosk
Cons: 1) Concrete tees are way too small
2) Rough is way too thick
3) Lack of obstacles on many holes
Other Thoughts: The good news is that I don't completely hate this course. The bad news is that I don't care for it much as a serious disc golfer.

This is a 9 hole course in Sandusky and considering there is nothing else close by, I tip my hat to those who took the time and used the money to put this course in the ground. Any course is better than no course. That said, there are quite a few problems with the course. Some are due to the land used, and some are due to design.

The course is 90% open and you would think that would make for an easy course. Wrong. The rough consists of densely populated grasses and other plants that will swallow your disc up quicker than a lumberjack can wolf down a stack of pancakes. Interestingly, the fairways are very well manicured and defined, but if you stray off of the fairway, I hope you brought a tent, some extra food and a way to make a campfire because your going to be there a while. This problem isn't so bad on the short holes, but there are several holes that are long and hole 7 is long and is a dog leg and the basket is hidden behind some young trees. If I was you, I would shoot a mid range on 7 if you don't have a spotter and if you do have a spotter, use him or her before you throw these long holes...especially 7!

Another big problem here are the tees. Whoever built these tees built them for Rick Moranis' kids after he shrunk them with the ray gun in the movie Honey, I Shrunk the Kids. I could barely fit my 6'5" frame on the tee just standing still, let alone trying to drive. In addition, the tees are circular, which isn't a bad idea, but they need to make them about 50-75% larger than they are right now.

The design isn't horrible as there is a nice mix of lefty and righty holes. My only complaint here is the lack of obstacles to shoot around or through. This isn't necessarily the designer's fault if this is the only land they had to work with, but it's a negative nevertheless.

The big surprise on the course is hole 9. What a difference! A tight wooded straight tunnel shot in the pine trees with the basket just left of this tunnel at the very end. If they only could've had more holes like this, they would've killed it. Even though this hole is way better than the other holes, I still have a complaint with it. The tunnel is so long and narrow and straight and hemmed in that if your disc strays off that line, you have to fight through a bunch of small pine branches on either side just to get to your disc and you will have no upshot. This problem could be fixed with some trimming, however. If they trimmed off all the lower small branches, this hole would be phenomenal.

All in all, I don't hate this course and if they made it 18 and had a lot more holes in the woods on the back nine, the rating would go up. But either way, the immediate problem with the course are the tees and that must be fixed before investing any more time and money into adding additional holes.

If someone from the park reads this and you want advice from someone who has been playing disc golf for about 15 years and who regularly plays in PDGA tournaments, I would love to help you guys fix up this course into a great disc golf destination. Please feel free to send me a private message on here and we can talk.

Fun 9 hole course

1    10/18/2013   10/21/2013
Review By: gimpyninja
Pros: The 9th hole is one of my all time favorites! The course was well maintained and had enough room to not easily lose a disc. The baskets and signs are in perfect shape. Fun course for the whole family.
Cons: If you really throw a wild drive it would be tough to find the disc. Tees are small circles, but it is easy to step up to them for the drive.
Other Thoughts: I would love to see another 9 holes added to the course in the woods areas. It would balance out the type of holes and expand on a really fun course. It is great to have a course in the area and I plan to play it many times in the future.

A positive start!

2-4    8/26/2013   9/16/2013
Review By: icandisc
This review was updated on 8/18/2015
Pros: Metroparks want to add disc golf to parks
No other options in area
Commercial backing/support for holes
Cons: Clearly needs a designer
Seemingly beginner friendly (the holes are shot and can all be shot with mid/approach discs), but not because of extreme precision required when throwing
The rough will eat your disc
Lack of design in holes
Other Thoughts: It's wonderful to see a new course appear and local discers should support this effort. Work with the metroparks to expand to 18 and add some design into the holes. Opening up the fairways would go a long way towards making this playable. On the teepads, well, make your own spots much further back to throw from to add diversity and interest to the course. I never threw from the tiny concrete pad they set out.

Overall in the summer you will contend with being in the sun and losing discs to the weeds. In the winter I imagine these will be less of an issue, and is probably the best time to play the course as it stands.

UPDATE: It's been a few years and I see nothing has changed with the course. I almost lost a disc again playing it. I literally played the entire course with my putter (there was maybe 2 mid shots, which faded too long, went into the brush, and I went right back to my putter).

I found even the glorious Hole 9 was best played the same way; up the middle with a putter. I don't know if the hole was worse than I remembered or not, but it too doesn't pass muster. The hole isn't maintained to give you any lines or shots at the pin.

You may find, as I did, people simply use the course as a spot to run and walk. The cross country team was running the course while I was there and "politely" picked up my disc after I teed off. Thanks guys!

The ONLY hole you play that even has semblance of a proper disc golf hole is a simple dogleg right with a smallish tree/bush in the middle of the fairway. Maybe you should just play that one a few times.

Thus my rating must drop. If for some reason you still find yourself at this course, consider it putting practice.

Cedar Point (Near)

1    8/18/2013   8/20/2013
Review By: gt700
This review was updated on 10/7/2013
Pros: Upon entering park, Parking for disc golf is on left side by swings. There is a large board with a map of course, along with scorecards. Directly behind board, there is a sign pointing to hole 1. It's along blacktop road to the left of a building. Follow back about a 1/4 mile. There are well cut paths to each hole. The signs are very nice. The baskets are Innova double chained. After hole 8, follow pathto left into pine trees. Hole 9 throws straight down a double row of them. This could become an excellent course with some bush hogging of fields.
Cons: The tee boxes are circular pieces of concrete. There is no room to step up or run up. If you are a discus thrower, they are perfect! You need to be precise in your throws. If you are not precise, bring a spotter! The rough is some of the worst I have seen. Super thick. Fairways are narrow.
Other Thoughts: Nice park with swings, slides, soccer and baseball fields. Close to Cedar Point to get away for a somewhat quick round. Watch for runners on paths.
If there is a problem with my review, please message me so I can correct my style of writing. Thank You for reading!