Rochelle, IL
Skare Woods Share
Uploaded By: basicbill Hole #6 (Taken 8/2013)

Skared

1    9/14/2014   9/28/2014
Review By: Countchunkula
Pros: Skare Woods is a well-designed, well equipped 9 hole course. The terrain is predominantly wooded, with a few holes in more open areas. The course has good signage, concrete tees and newer DGA baskets. Most tees have nice benches. There is no chance of getting lost, as the way to go is obvious.

There is a good variety of distances and shot types required to score well. The variety exhibited by just 9 holes is impressive. 513' Par 4 hole 7 is mostly open off of the tee, with a late left dogleg into a more wooded area. This helps break up the otherwise par 3 layout. Elevation is well used, when available; as is a small creek that comes into play on a few holes.
Cons: No serious cons here. Only 9 holes and northern Illinois terrain are the main things holding it back.

On the wooded holes, the fairways have been recently carved leading to a few small stumps that need to be cut and an overall rough appearance. This will certainly change as the course breaks in over time.
Other Thoughts: I pass through Rochelle once or twice a year when visiting my wife's family. We will be stopping at Skare Woods each time, if at all possible. It's a really fun course that's not too far off of I-88.

This course will be expanding to 18 holes in the next year or so.

1    9/17/2014   9/17/2014
Review By: dustingbbn11
Pros: Wide variet of holes on little available space. Good use of elevation and woods on a few holes. Mostly short, technical holes but some 350-500+ that allows you to grip and rip. Also, long concrete tee pads and very well-maintained fairways. Professional tee signs as well on every hole.
Cons: I wanted to keep going after 9 holes. This would be a very desirable course to travel to if there was a full 18. I finished a solo round in under 45 minutes.

Awesome course, can't wait for the back nine!

1    9/3/2014   9/4/2014
Review By: Scramble630
Pros: -This course is on an absolutely beautiful piece of land. Well manicured and not too many crazy thick areas too lose your disc in.
-Baskets are top quality and all in great shape
-Very nice concrete tees.
-Very nice tee signs that I felt were accurate.
-Very nice benches (about 4-5)
-Nice variety of holes, challenging but not hard
-Space dedicated to disc golf. (no walkways or other sports fields in the vicinity).
Cons: -9 holes. This course gets a 5/5 if the next nine are as amazing as the first.
Other Thoughts: We had a blast playing this course and will definitely be bringing other people to play out here. Great job!

Looking Better Everyday!

5+    8/7/2014   8/7/2014
Review By: duain
This review was updated on 8/11/2014
Pros: Great flow with a nice mixture of holes. Holes 2, 5, and 9 are nice ACE runs, shorter yet still a challenge if you shank too far off the fairway. Holes 4, 6, and 8 offer longer technical holes with great use of the wooded area as well as the prairie and elevation changes. Hole 7 lets you open up your arm over the prairie and back into the woods, but don't stray to far off the fairway the prairie is thick on the left side. Holes 1 and 3 offer their own uniqueness to the course.
Other Thoughts: Benches on holes 2, 5, 7, and 9 with a picnic table by hole 6. Trash and recycle bins on holes 2, 5, 7, and by the parking lot. Running water and a working bathroom. Definitely worth the drive to play.

Technical

5+    4/2/2014   4/11/2014
Review By: slingdiscs
This review was updated on 8/30/2014
Pros: Great mix of L-R (1,4,5), R-L (6,8) and straighter holes
Punishing(!) everywhere if you shank throws I.E. too high, too wide of anhyzer/hyzer
Control is more important than power here
Brush is becoming easier to navigate
not crowded at all

Cons: Carpet pads are ok but not great
*edit* ^now concrete!
One hole with room for big power
not forgiving
Other Thoughts: My home course. Another 9 holes are coming/in the pipes.

Benches near 5,7,9 are great.

Trees on 3,4,6 provide split fairways/shot options

2,5,9 aceable

Will rate 5* if concrete pads are put in and the second nine ends up being as great

*edit*
Concrete pads are awesome & long!
4's pad was moved 6ft left so both fairways are more in play.

Date: 5/1/2014 Designer Response by: DagG
We have preliminary approval for the second nine at Skare Woods. This will utilize the area to the northwest of the existing course, playing across the open field to the wooded ravine area and the banks of the Kyte River. Target for the second nine is summer of '15.

Whoa.

2-4    3/23/2014   3/23/2014
Review By: ElementZ
Pros: This course definitely took my by surprise and clearly earns the title of "Best 9 hole course in Illinois".

The design is flawless. The course absolutely perfectly utilizes the given land, the flow is excellent, and the holes are simultaneously fun, memorable, and challenging.

The course equipment is fantastic as well. The tees are carpet and work well. The tee signs are excellent and the new 2013 baskets look great and catch great.

It's fantastic that the city of Rochelle installed a course in this park. It really does provide a fantastic setting for a course.

I only rate 9 hole courses out of 4, and this gets a 3.5 out of 4.
Cons: The only reason it's not a perfect four in my eyes is that, at the end of the day, this course is still set in Illinois which has pretty boring terrain.

I guess another slight con would be that I could see leaves being annoying in terms of finding a disc. That's it though.
Other Thoughts: I played here with my family and it's totally worth going off of the I-39 as a break. It's about 10 or so minutes of the highway. I'd probably even say go out of your way to play this course.

At first, when pulling into the parking lot, it doesn't seem like much. But I assure you, it's a ton of fun, no holes repeat themselves, and you'll find yourself having a great time.

A big two-thumbs up to the designer of this course. I had a blast and will be coming back!

Better than expected

1    9/20/2013   1/20/2014
Review By: murflax
Pros: Good variety of shots and distances.

Some elevation changes

Not too many trees
Cons: only a couple blind shots

needs upgraded teepads (though they aren't terrible for just being carpet)

It's not closer to my house or else I'd be here all the time.
Other Thoughts: I went to pick up my sister from her friend's wedding out in Oregon, IL and she didn't mind if we stopped to play a quick round on the way back. It was easy to get around and since it was fairly new at the time there wasn't anyone else there so I got to enjoy the course that much more. I really liked the holes within the woods where there are a medium amount of trees that were pretty tall so you were just avoiding trunks really, which is something I haven't seen at any of my local course. It was really a nice change of scenery and plan on making a few road trips out there for a few round for summers to come.

Don't be Skared to find it.

1    10/10/2013   10/11/2013
Review By: puttlikeablowfly
Pros: + Set in a very nice wooded park with mature trees and gently rolling terrain.
+ Good variety of distances.
+ Nice job clearing out fairways, and some holes have a choice of fairways.
+ Although it was dry at the time I played, there is a drainage ditch / small creek that could offer a water hazard on a couple of holes, but you probably wouldn't lost your disc in it.
+ Carpet is an OK temporary tee ... better than just dirt
+ Excellent tee signs
+ Some cool settings for "greens" (especially #7).
Cons: - Off the beaten path (some may like that)
- Single tees and pin placements
- Some uneven and bumpy tees

None of these are big cons, especially if the tees are upgraded as mentioned in a designer response to another review. There seemed to be room to add tees and pin placements, so hopefully that is something they will consider.
Other Thoughts: Although I only happened to have three 150g beginner discs in my car, I'm glad I veered off I-39 to check out the course. I'm a big fan of technical courses, as opposed to more open bombers. It's obvious they have put work into this course. No wide open holes, but there are some legitimate ace runs, as well as a couple of opportunities to rip it, although you still need control. I look forward to going back with at least some of my regular discs.

Sweet hometown course

5+    9/3/2013   9/4/2013
Review By: breynnmike
Pros: Nice new baskets.
Beautiful woods.
Not too many people.
Nicely designed holes.
Plenty of garbage cans and recycling bins.

Cons: There's always a learning curve on a brand new course.
Brush can be long and hard to find a disc in. (This will get better as brush is pushed down)
Other Thoughts: This course is really sweet. Plenty of shade for a hot day. All the holes are pretty cool. Many in the woods. Volunteers such as Mike Burke have done a lot to improve this disc golf course whether it's building benches or removing stumps. All in all it's a really awesome disc golf course. The holes are challenging yet simple at the same time. I highly recommend playing here frequently.

This Newbie Enjoyed It

1    8/31/2013   9/2/2013
Review By: basicbill
This review was updated on 9/4/2013
Pros: Once you find the first tee, it's easy to navigate with great signage.
I think the locals are taking some pride in this course.
Had it all to myself.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed this course even though as a new player it intimidated me a bit. So my shorts were straight, short and safe. But I did enjoy the walk through the woodsy course as I played. Which is one of the reasons that this sport appeals to me. Insect repellent might be a good idea.