Rochelle, IL
Skare Woods Share
Uploaded By: basicbill Hole #2 (Taken 8/2013)
3 / 192ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Looking Better Everyday!

5+    8/7/2014   8/7/2014
Review By: duain
This review was updated on 8/11/2014
Pros: Great flow with a nice mixture of holes. Holes 2, 5, and 9 are nice ACE runs, shorter yet still a challenge if you shank too far off the fairway. Holes 4, 6, and 8 offer longer technical holes with great use of the wooded area as well as the prairie and elevation changes. Hole 7 lets you open up your arm over the prairie and back into the woods, but don't stray to far off the fairway the prairie is thick on the left side. Holes 1 and 3 offer their own uniqueness to the course.
Other Thoughts: Benches on holes 2, 5, 7, and 9 with a picnic table by hole 6. Trash and recycle bins on holes 2, 5, 7, and by the parking lot. Running water and a working bathroom. Definitely worth the drive to play.

Technical

5+    4/2/2014   4/11/2014
Review By: slingdiscs
This review was updated on 8/30/2014
Pros: Great mix of L-R (1,4,5), R-L (6,8) and straighter holes
Punishing(!) everywhere if you shank throws I.E. too high, too wide of anhyzer/hyzer
Control is more important than power here
Brush is becoming easier to navigate
not crowded at all

Cons: Carpet pads are ok but not great
*edit* ^now concrete!
One hole with room for big power
not forgiving
Other Thoughts: My home course. Another 9 holes are coming/in the pipes.

Benches near 5,7,9 are great.

Trees on 3,4,6 provide split fairways/shot options

2,5,9 aceable

Will rate 5* if concrete pads are put in and the second nine ends up being as great

*edit*
Concrete pads are awesome & long!
4's pad was moved 6ft left so both fairways are more in play.

Date: 5/1/2014 Designer Response by: DagG
We have preliminary approval for the second nine at Skare Woods. This will utilize the area to the northwest of the existing course, playing across the open field to the wooded ravine area and the banks of the Kyte River. Target for the second nine is summer of '15.

Whoa.

2-4    3/23/2014   3/23/2014
Review By: ElementZ
Pros: This course definitely took my by surprise and clearly earns the title of "Best 9 hole course in Illinois".

The design is flawless. The course absolutely perfectly utilizes the given land, the flow is excellent, and the holes are simultaneously fun, memorable, and challenging.

The course equipment is fantastic as well. The tees are carpet and work well. The tee signs are excellent and the new 2013 baskets look great and catch great.

It's fantastic that the city of Rochelle installed a course in this park. It really does provide a fantastic setting for a course.

I only rate 9 hole courses out of 4, and this gets a 3.5 out of 4.
Cons: The only reason it's not a perfect four in my eyes is that, at the end of the day, this course is still set in Illinois which has pretty boring terrain.

I guess another slight con would be that I could see leaves being annoying in terms of finding a disc. That's it though.
Other Thoughts: I played here with my family and it's totally worth going off of the I-39 as a break. It's about 10 or so minutes of the highway. I'd probably even say go out of your way to play this course.

At first, when pulling into the parking lot, it doesn't seem like much. But I assure you, it's a ton of fun, no holes repeat themselves, and you'll find yourself having a great time.

A big two-thumbs up to the designer of this course. I had a blast and will be coming back!

Better than expected

1    9/20/2013   1/20/2014
Review By: murflax
Pros: Good variety of shots and distances.

Some elevation changes

Not too many trees
Cons: only a couple blind shots

needs upgraded teepads (though they aren't terrible for just being carpet)

It's not closer to my house or else I'd be here all the time.
Other Thoughts: I went to pick up my sister from her friend's wedding out in Oregon, IL and she didn't mind if we stopped to play a quick round on the way back. It was easy to get around and since it was fairly new at the time there wasn't anyone else there so I got to enjoy the course that much more. I really liked the holes within the woods where there are a medium amount of trees that were pretty tall so you were just avoiding trunks really, which is something I haven't seen at any of my local course. It was really a nice change of scenery and plan on making a few road trips out there for a few round for summers to come.

Don't be Skared to find it.

1    10/10/2013   10/11/2013
Review By: puttlikeablowfly
Pros: + Set in a very nice wooded park with mature trees and gently rolling terrain.
+ Good variety of distances.
+ Nice job clearing out fairways, and some holes have a choice of fairways.
+ Although it was dry at the time I played, there is a drainage ditch / small creek that could offer a water hazard on a couple of holes, but you probably wouldn't lost your disc in it.
+ Carpet is an OK temporary tee ... better than just dirt
+ Excellent tee signs
+ Some cool settings for "greens" (especially #7).
Cons: - Off the beaten path (some may like that)
- Single tees and pin placements
- Some uneven and bumpy tees

None of these are big cons, especially if the tees are upgraded as mentioned in a designer response to another review. There seemed to be room to add tees and pin placements, so hopefully that is something they will consider.
Other Thoughts: Although I only happened to have three 150g beginner discs in my car, I'm glad I veered off I-39 to check out the course. I'm a big fan of technical courses, as opposed to more open bombers. It's obvious they have put work into this course. No wide open holes, but there are some legitimate ace runs, as well as a couple of opportunities to rip it, although you still need control. I look forward to going back with at least some of my regular discs.

Sweet hometown course

5+    9/3/2013   9/4/2013
Review By: breynnmike
Pros: Nice new baskets.
Beautiful woods.
Not too many people.
Nicely designed holes.
Plenty of garbage cans and recycling bins.

Cons: There's always a learning curve on a brand new course.
Brush can be long and hard to find a disc in. (This will get better as brush is pushed down)
Other Thoughts: This course is really sweet. Plenty of shade for a hot day. All the holes are pretty cool. Many in the woods. Volunteers such as Mike Burke have done a lot to improve this disc golf course whether it's building benches or removing stumps. All in all it's a really awesome disc golf course. The holes are challenging yet simple at the same time. I highly recommend playing here frequently.

This Newbie Enjoyed It

1    8/31/2013   9/2/2013
Review By: basicbill
This review was updated on 9/4/2013
Pros: Once you find the first tee, it's easy to navigate with great signage.
I think the locals are taking some pride in this course.
Had it all to myself.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed this course even though as a new player it intimidated me a bit. So my shorts were straight, short and safe. But I did enjoy the walk through the woodsy course as I played. Which is one of the reasons that this sport appeals to me. Insect repellent might be a good idea.

1    8/18/2013   8/18/2013
Review By: huskerfan
Pros: Its fun! It's new and its close to Rockford! I enjoyed the course, its challenging, yet not too challenging, nice mix of holes and not all set up for RH, BH throwers
Cons: It's new and still needs work, signage needs work,
Other Thoughts: I was there on a Sunday afternoon and steady traffic coming and going, its going to get more popular as time goes on.

A fun variety for 9

2-4    8/5/2013   8/6/2013
Review By: mjs2055
Pros: This course is brand new and they were able to clear a lot of trees to make nice fairways that run thru the woods. There a wide variety of shots which include different lengths and different elevation. It is scored fairly and it should not be crowded because it is new. Nice new chains and it was pretty easy to find discs in the rough.
Cons: Since it is new there are only mats instead of concrete tee-pads. There are a few signs missing but it is easy to navigate. This course is not close to anything. There is room for more than 9 holes.
Other Thoughts: I definitely enjoyed my round here and ended up playing thru it two times. Nothing beats brand new chains and the it was easy to find your disc in the rough considering it is a new course. This is a fun course but has a remote location. I will up my rating when they get concrete tee-pads.

Date: 8/10/2013 Designer Response by: DagG
The signs that you saw were temporary. Permanent signage, utilizing similar graphics to those on the paper and stake temps, should be in place in a month or so.

solid

2-4    7/23/2013   7/26/2013
Review By: silentmarbles
Pros: good risk reward shots.
most shots had a safe play for 3 and a risky shot to 2.
flowed smoothly easy to find your way around even without signage
Cons: 9 hole hopefully gets expanded
carpet and earth pads
Other Thoughts: thought the course did a good job of making you shape the line is you were going for the birdie.
quick fun course

Date: 8/10/2013 Designer Response by: DagG
Assuming the course is received well by the community, we're hoping parks can budget for hard surface tees next year ('14). The potential for one or more expansions has been discussed though there is nothing concrete as yet.