Lebanon, PA
South Hills DGC Share
Uploaded By: Jwillier Hole #18 (Taken 7/2013)
3 / 300ft.   3 / 390ft.   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

A Wonderful Find

1    10/2/2013   10/2/2013
Review By: MQTdiscgolfer
Pros: - Incredible setting! Beautiful little park and the leaves changing colors and falling all around were a real treat
- Good mixture of shots/use of the terrain. Some elevation changes, good use of trees, etc.
- Signage was very clear. Layout could have been confusing, but it was well marked and I didn't get lost once.
Cons: Very few here

- A bit confusing to find it at first. I ended up in the hospital parking lot trying to find directions to no avail and ended up driving around for a while trying to find the start of the course. A sign by the road would be nice, but that's being pretty picky.

- This may be temporary, but it looks like they are trying to create a stream through the course around holes #4 and #5. This has resulted in a bit of flooding in front of #5 tee box and made for a sloshy next couple of holes. Hopefully they'll fix that soon.
Other Thoughts: Seriously, one of the more picturesque courses I've ever played. I enjoyed every single shot on this course, except of course the ones I shanked. They have some space, I hope they think about adding a few more holes. I think they could even squeeze in another 18 if they wanted.

Side note: There is only one tee box per hole. They make up for this by having two baskets. Interesting set-up that I had never seen before.

Excellent!

2-4    9/22/2013   9/30/2013
Review By: Junkman510
Pros: Very well thought out course. Beautiful setting. Thoroughly enjoyable experience. One of my favorites now.
Cons: A bit tight of a layout. Would difficult to find tees if they didn't have next tee arrows on the baskets.
Other Thoughts: Another great course close to me! .. doing the happy dance at the moment...

Good course

1    9/21/2013   9/21/2013
Review By: Shamis
This review was updated on 5/22/2014
Pros: Nicely maintained. Brand new baskets. Good signs. Roomy concrete tees. The really did a nice job om the tees. A lot of new courses have been putting in smaller tees that suck, not so here.

Would be tough to lose a disc here.
Cons: A little cramped. Many baskets are near other baskets or tees...could cause trouble on a busy day or during a tournament.

Not much variety. Every hole is sparsely wooded. No water, no tunnels, no serious elevation changes.
Other Thoughts: Better than most, but not a top tier course

Challenging and Fun

2-4    8/15/2013   8/16/2013
Review By: Caleb Z
Pros: This course has everything I look for in a course. The two baskets per hole give you the option of how difficult a round you want. I was able to shoot the yellow (easier) baskets with my wife and children and still have the option of shooting the red (more difficult) baskets with my friends who play more seriously. Almost the entire course is shaded without the trees being so low that they interfere with every shot. The course was very well maintained every time that I have played it.

The park surrounding the course is also great. Playgrounds, tennis courts, basketball courts, pavilions, walking/biking trails, baseball fields, golf driving range. The park is ideal for family get togethers. After you convince your family and friends to enjoy the park for a day just make sure you have enough discs along to convince those in your group who might be resistant to disc golf to take a short walk and give it a try.
Cons: There was nothing missing from this course that I would have wanted.
Other Thoughts: I am new to the sport and have only tried out a limited number of courses. However, I have no doubt that this course will continue to be one of my favorite courses to revisit regularly. I am very grateful to the people responsible for bringing such a nice course close to my home.

Very enjoyable

1    7/14/2013   8/15/2013
Review By: jcarvin
Pros: Brand new course as of 2013 and one of the most enjoyable courses I've played to date (of the 8 courses I've played to this point).

Great mix of wooded and open baskets.

Very nice concrete tees.

No water to deal with.
Cons: There really weren't any. I visited right before they finished the second set of tees so there was some rough areas under construction but that's certainly nothing to complain about.
Other Thoughts: The course can be challenging but I had an excellent time playing the course. I look forward to going back now that everything is completed and seeing the finished product. I recommend you do too.

Beautiful Local Park, Underutilized Space, Course Designer's Dream

1    8/2/2013   8/2/2013
Review By: jcs259
Pros: This new course is situated in what I can describe as an underutilized park in Lebanon. Many acres of thoughtfully mowed terrain with little attention focused on what could be done with the surrounding land just off of paved walking paths. This park was just yearning for local disc advocates like Mike and Charlie to rally the community and install this much needed course in the Lebanon area.

Numerous tee boxes? "No!", they said. Build this course with numerous baskets! Yes, this 18 hole course has 36 permanent baskets (2 per) colored in close caution yellow for the amateurs like myself and far fire engine red for that long driver most of us strive to be. Throughout the course I felt there was a 20 to 40 foot elevation change to work with and the holes have been placed in areas utilizing the contours of the land to its full advantage.

A real joy to play due to the fact that the park, although moderately wooded, was well mowed and hazards such as thorns and poison ivy was by far at a minimal.

The holes themselves were a nice combination of light to heavy trees and open fairway shots. Many holes had that country club feel having fairways along side one another. After a round, there are pavilions and BBQ amenities to refresh and shoot again.
Cons: Ok, ok, I will jump on the band wagon here and say water shots would be the sweet cherry on top of this course. But, why complain about your Mustang not having a Corvette engine?
Other Thoughts: Thank you Mike D. and Charlie G. I personally know the challenges and rewards of building a course. You two took it to a whole new level through fundraising and seeking out sponsors to really elevate the use of a 36 basket system. Great job laying out the country club feel on this course. May I suggest that the maintenance crew drop the mower deck to 'low' and sculpt out the fairways, then raise it to 'high' to sculpt out the fringes and finally allow high vegetation lines to delineate O.B. areas where fairways run parallel. Absolutely a great job on this design!
-Joseph C. Snyder

A really good course

5+    8/23/2013   8/2/2013
Review By: mSchmoe41
This review was updated on 8/25/2013
Pros: The first time playing this course I was really impressed. The people who keep up the course do a wonderful job. I like the alternate baskets instead of alternate tees pads. The elevation differences on a few holes is nice to play on. A nice balance of open shots and wooded/tree shots.
Cons: No mandos. After more times of playing the course, water would be nice. Unless it rains and lays in front of the basket on hole #3 no reason to hope for water. The park that the course is on is hard to imagine that any type of water would be added in.
Other Thoughts: Playing this course has helped me fine tune my game more than the courses I have played in the area. I am forced to work on accuracy and distance all in one round.

Empty hearted

1    7/26/2013   7/27/2013
Review By: Leroy Twizzlers
Pros: This course is beautiful ! The entire couse is well maintained . All the holes are clearly labeled and every basket currently has arrows pointing to the next tee.The effort that is being put forth is clearly demonstrated on hole 9 where they currently have some of the fairway blocked from play to try to establish a grass path through the woods,The hole is still playable. The mix of challange and fun between the yellow and red baskets is well plotted . This course is a 40 minute drive from my house and I fully intend to play it a few more times this season. With courses like Roland park , Long trout winery , French creek state park and Ship rock close by me I have become kind of spoiled by great places to play , with that being said this place definitely ranks as my favorite course .
Cons: The signage indicating the parking lot needs up graded . The lack of water hazzards was somewhat disappointing. But the only thing that keeps me from ranking this course a 5 , is the fact my dog was not allowed in the park.
Other Thoughts: Worth the drive

South Hills Review

1    7/26/2013   7/26/2013
Review By: kyledstauffer
Pros: This course is immaculately cared for. Everything was mowed nicely, trees were limbed up appropriately - even a few perrenials/landscape beds scattered about. Very aesthetically pleasing. As far as play goes the course flowed very nicely. It was VERY easy to navigate- had next tee signs on every basket. Each hole also had two basket locations - very clearly marked with a red basket for longs and a yellow basket for shorts. Requires a good gambit of shots to master - some long some shot, some tightly wooded. It's an all around good time - this what a great course should look like.
Cons: There's not a whole lot this course can do better! I wished it required more anhyzer (RHBH) routes - only one or two wholes required this type of shot. Most were hard left pin placements. I'd like to see a bit more elevation change though a few holes made good use of terrain. You really can't complain about this course though - most faults are nitpicky.
Other Thoughts: The only other thing you could really wish for is a water feature - though this may not be feasible. In short, this is one of the better courses in the area and I hope they can maintain it as nicely as it was today because it was fantastic!

Really nice course.

1    7/7/2013   7/25/2013
Review By: jbetz45453
Pros: Scorecards at the first tee. Two sets of baskets. Concrete tee pads. Nice mix of woods and open holes.
Cons: No water hazards.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed playing here. Wish it was closer to where I lived so I could play there more often. Two baskets makes it good for new players and those wanting more of a challenge. Only had first set of baskets in when I was there which is fine because I am a newbie anyway.