Holden, ME
Rock Solid Disc Golf Share
Uploaded By: dreadlock86 Hole #4 (Taken 12/2013)

Rock Solid Disc Golf Is Almost Rock Solid!

1    8/1/2015   8/1/2015
Pros: Rock Solid Disc Golf Course is located right next to the Big Boom Fireworks Store in Holden. In fact, you pay your $5 (cash only please) in the fireworks store. The course starts right out front with the first tee out close to the Hi-way. The first 4 holes plus # 8 have green metal tee signs. The rest of the 18 holes had simple printed signs just saying the hole #. Most of the tee pads are raised wooden platforms. The baskets are Discatchers with the yellow bands and #'s on them.

You can see that there has been a tremendous amount of cutting, trimming and clearing here, especially on the front nine. The terrain on the back nine is not as thick with brush. I liked it more.

The course plays at a recreational level. Very few holes are 300' and there are a few on the new back nine playing around 120'.

The signature hole for me was # 11. It's a very pretty hole, 240' downhill and very tight. There are two chairs at the pad for players to sit on.
Cons: There is a hodge podge of tee signs.

No teepad on # 17 yet although the boards are there.

There are quite a few holes with a slight anhyser route needed. I am willing to bet this course was designed by a player who throws forehand.

# 17 really doesn't really have a fair, clear route route to the basket.
Other Thoughts: When I paid my $5 to the girl in the fireworks stand, I asked her for a map. No map! She handed me a blank index card and told me it was keep score on. When I play a Per Pay Course (even a measly $5) I expect to at least get a course map. Now maybe the problem is, the course has just expanded to 18 holes, and perhaps the new maps haven't been made up yet.

This is a nice solid 18 hole course now. Nothing spectacular! But if I lived in this area, I'd feel OK about playing this course.

great start on a nice property

1    12/27/2013   2/10/2014
Review By: dreadlock86
Pros: -nice mix of holes with lots of great elevation changes
-mostly wooded holes, a few open shots
-new baskets in good condition
-tee signs at most holes
-friendly, helpful staff at the fireworks store
Cons: -some of the tee shots and basket placements are a little bit... unnatural
-no signs yet on holes 5 & 6
Other Thoughts: I played a round here in the snow and it was very fun but I assume atypical of the average experience. The staff was very friendly and allowed me to play for free since it was winter.

The signs are great featuring par, distances, and even a nickname for each hole. The navigation is pretty easy, only holes 5 and 6 were tricky to locate since they only had temp signs on trees and the path from basket 8 to tee 9 was difficult for me to find, in the snow anyway.

The first hole is the only open drive on the course and has a cool set of stone pillars in the fairway, hence the nickname "Karnak". The following holes offer a variety of elevation changes, but nearly always with rather tight lanes to navigate. Most of these holes have slightly more open tee shots that get tighter and more crowded toward the basket but a few are rather narrow all the way down the fairway, like holes 5, 8, & 9.

The only thing I didn't like about this course were a few of the unnatural or unrealistic shots. The tee shot on hole 3 is through a small window with an immediate, hard hyzer. Throw too far forward and there is punitive trees and bushes. The approach is not difficult if you get a safe landing but the tee shot is awkward. I actually like this hole but I think most people will be perplexed when they see it or throw too deep into the trees. The hole I really didn't like was hole 7. The basket is literally inside of a small patch of trees. There is no open window to the basket except from behind and even then you need to be within 10' of the basket to even have a chance at a putt.

The staff claims that more property has been acquired and they plan to expand to 16 holes. Hopefully the new holes will add a bit of contrast since the first 9 are fairly similar, being all wooded. I can't speak to the condition of the undergrowth as everything was covered in snow when I was there.

Overall, a fun course that is worth playing if you are in the Bangor area. Not as complete as DR Disc Golf in Orrington but a good alternative if that is your home course.

**Like this review? Hate it? Message me and let me know why! I want to make them better!**