Middletown, MD
Middletown Park Share
Uploaded By: KAK3990 Hole #5 (Taken 5/2014)

A Walk in the Park - Literally

1    7/6/2014   7/6/2014
Review By: unsmith
Pros: A picturesque course in the middle (heh) of Middletown, with homes on one side, mountains on the other, and a nice big pond in the middle. Course is mostly open, so it's a good place to try out new discs to see how they fly or work on your rollers.

If you play legit, there are some creative OB areas that will make you at least think a bit about overcooking a hyzer.

Baskets all contain a "next tee" hanger which is reasonably accurate and helpful for a first-time player.
Cons: Bugs! Bug spray should be mandatory here.

Baskets are old and a bit rusty, but all upright and serviceable.

Some of the more inconsiderate people with dogs (you know the type) don't pick up their dog poop, so watch for that.

Not a lot of shot variety required.
Other Thoughts: 14 and 16 share tee areas.

If you get unlucky and huck it into the enclosed trash corral on 6 (I think), fear not, there's space in the back of the corral to squeeze in and retrieve your disc.

Not too shabby

1    8/19/2012   8/25/2012
Review By: jgonzale2
Pros: Pretty simple course with few bells and whistles. Its a free course, and has some minor elevation change. We played all the holes as Par 3 and finished even par. When the wind kicks up though it could get a little interesting.

It did have a couple of interesting holes though like hole 17. Its tucked back in a little cove. It has a tunnel about 80 feet long and about 15 feet wide. with a hard sharp left hand turn.

Cons: Overall a plain jane course. There are not many gimmicks to it, but still a pretty fun course.

Great Beginner Course

5+    6/15/2012   7/8/2012
Review By: zubeala
Pros: Beautiful park in a beautiful valley. This is not a very difficult course by any means, but there is some variety on 11-18. It is well maintained (new signage as of 5-2012) Park in the lot near the lake and you will see the practice basket and 1st tee. Two tees for each hole. Great course for run and shoot. About 2 miles of running involved.
Cons: Virtually no change in elevation. Holes 2 - 6 are mostly wide open and can be subject to some pretty strong winds. There are no T pads, but the ground is very level and it really probably doesn't need them. Sometimes the grass is too high.
Lot's of poison ivy along holes15-17...still scratching.
Other Thoughts: This is a GREAT course to learn on, and to introduce new golfers to the sport. There are few really tricky obstacles so new golfers are less likely to get frustrated. Even if you are an experienced DG'er, this is a good course to build a little confidence and air it out!

Windy

1    7/25/2010   7/25/2010
Review By: Mr Mojo Risin
This review was updated on 5/25/2011
Pros: This course was fairly decent. About a third of the holes provided somewhat of a challenge with a couple tree hazards on holes 11 and 12. There were a couple 400 and 500 foot holes which were nice.
Cons: Most holes were either straight on to the basket or had a slight dogleg to the left. So my under stable discs didn't get much use. Some of the other reviewers had mentioned poison ivy, that was a bit of an understatement. Any disc landing in the woodline was sitting in thick poison ivy.
Would have had a he'll of a time navigating the course in the 98 degree heat if I didn't bring a map. A lot of holes zig zag and you even have to back track on a few.
Other Thoughts: Not sure if it is always windy there or if it was my lucky day but the wind was dominating most of my throws and made putting an adventure.
This course is a nice change of pace from heritage farms and the woodsboro courses, but I wouldn't say better.

cute course, but lacks wow.

1    6/19/2010   6/19/2010
Review By: prerube
Pros: Nice park with isolated from other activities
2 tee pads for each basket
Nice variety of distances 218-540 ft.
Warnings about where poison ivy was the worst.
Restrooms up by baseball diamond (hole 15)
Map and Score card available at Kiosk.
Course is beginner friendly (assuming they stay away from the poison ivy)
Park is attractive with water fountain in lake, flowers, and manicured lawns.
Cons: Poison ivy is really bad, but Dave Becker was out spraying trying to keep it undercontrol.
No tee pads, just 2 posts with numbers.
No tee signs.
A lot of straight open shots.

Other Thoughts: Hole 15 pro tee is overgrown and the only shot left is a tomahawk or a thumber.
Water is intimidating on hole 10, but not necessarily in play.
Course is nice, but not exciting to play. I would love to have a course like this nearby, but I would still sneak out to play near by Heritage and Woodsboro.

It was difficult to think of many pros or cons for this course, it was a nice 18, but not anything very memorable to set it apart from other courses. 2.5 is "decent and typical" which describes this course well.

Has gradually improved

5+    10/14/2008   8/7/2009
Review By: GroundHog
Pros: Served me well during my early years playing the sport. Good course for introducing friends to the pursuit. Positive changes made a few holes more challenging. Scenic.
Cons: Out-growable, but still worth a play now & then.
Baskets could be further upgraded.
Other Thoughts: Thanks Dan!

While in Frederick...

2-4    7/1/2008   10/9/2008
Review By: Jimb
This review was updated on 10/1/2011
Pros: Nice park facilities. Convenient parking, restrooms, picnic facilities, playground equipment, etc. 18 holes that are pretty quick to play. When the box is loaded, there's a really nice map & scorecard available.

Lot's of opportunity to air out your shots. Several holes are simply long and open so you can really grip it and rip it. (***Update 9-20-10. Note that my consistent flat ground driver distance is about 325', thus my option to air it out here. Big arms probably won't feel the same way about it.***)

This openness would also make the course nice to play for very inexperienced players. It may get a little dull for experienced players.

The pond can come into play a little, and is really pretty. Plus there are really nice views of the surrounding mountains.
Cons: Several holes are just wide open holes where you have a bunch of grass between you and the pin and nothing else. It's fun to really air it out, but when there's so much open space, the need for accuracy is really diminished.

Even the holes that aren't in open fields are pretty simple to play. There's not a whole lot of need for strategy, or really for a variety of shotmaking skills needed to score well here.

And look out for the woods. I can't blame anyone but myself, but I got the worst case of poison that I've ever had on this course. If you go into the brush to the left on holes #15 or #16 look out. Make sure you have long socks and sleeves available if you want to retrieve your disc. Now if my tee hadn't gone so far left, it would have been a non issue. On a positive note, if you have the map, they do warn you about the poison areas on the course. I just thought that "I didn't catch poison." I was wrong.

And, again totally my fault, beware of losing discs on hole #5 or maybe even #6. There's a fenced maintenance area that can come into play on slightly errant tee shots. If the area is closed, you may not be able to get your disc back. I'm from out of the area so I left a note about a disc that I couldn't get to in the fence. A gentleman called me and said that he had my disc and that he'd mail it to me. I can't say that he didn't mail it, or if maybe it got lost in the mail, but I just know that I never got it back. And what a shame, it was my favorite Champion Valkyrie. (The MD Course Dude (PDGA Rep I think?), Dan Becker, returned my disc to me. Thanks Dan!)
Other Thoughts: I hated to have to give this course a 1.5. However, based upon the courses that I've played, if 2 is average, then some courses have to be below average. And this would be one of them.

This isn't to say that you can't have fun here, because you can. Heck, I've gone back three times myself from out of the area. So if you find yourself passing through Frederick, or even Hagerstown, it's worth giving it a shot.

And when some of the new plantings grow, it really could make the course more challenging and less totally open as several of the holes are now.

It's been said about other sports before, but for me... a bad day of discin' is better than a good day doing a lot of other things.

***1-1-09***
Updated score to 2 based upon changes made to descriptions of course scores on the site after I did my review.

Has promise

1    9/20/2008   9/24/2008
Review By: harpsm
Pros: Good for a quick round.
Good for beginners.
Course was well-groomed and mowed (when I was there).
Nice scenery.
Course maps available at Hole 1.
Free play.
Cons: Most holes are in wide open field.
Grass tees.
Some holes play near walking paths and athletic fields.
Some baskets look old and abused.
Other Thoughts: There are a bunch of newly planted trees in the area of holes 12-18 that might give the course some technical challenge in 5-10 years when the trees mature (if they aren't obliterated by discs first). The course has Pro and Am tees; Pro tees are often much longer, but don't really change the nature of holes. I wouldn't go out of my way to play here, but it's a nice treat for locals.

Middletown Disc Golf

1    3/8/2008   3/8/2008
Review By: dtwo
This review was updated on 1/1/2009
Pros: This is a great course for beginners. The Red layout is 4751 feet.

The front 9 are mostly open field shots. The back 9 has more technical shots, and some new trees will eventually increase the challenge.

The course is not heavily used, so it makes a great course for speed rounds.

The course is also great for Glow Golf, it is open April 1st to October 31st until 10PM.

Dogs are welcome on this course, but they should be leashed.
Cons: Half of the holes play entirely in open fields.

The tee pads are all natural grass.
Other Thoughts: I am the course contact call if you have questions or problems: 301-524-8899

For an alternate layout with more technical challenge play Blue 1, Blue 10->18, and Red 11->18

Course Records from Monday Singles: