Middletown, MD

Windy

1    7/25/2010   7/25/2010
Review By: Mr Mojo Risin
This review was updated on 5/25/2011
Pros: This course was fairly decent. About a third of the holes provided somewhat of a challenge with a couple tree hazards on holes 11 and 12. There were a couple 400 and 500 foot holes which were nice.
Cons: Most holes were either straight on to the basket or had a slight dogleg to the left. So my under stable discs didn't get much use. Some of the other reviewers had mentioned poison ivy, that was a bit of an understatement. Any disc landing in the woodline was sitting in thick poison ivy.
Would have had a he'll of a time navigating the course in the 98 degree heat if I didn't bring a map. A lot of holes zig zag and you even have to back track on a few.
Other Thoughts: Not sure if it is always windy there or if it was my lucky day but the wind was dominating most of my throws and made putting an adventure.
This course is a nice change of pace from heritage farms and the woodsboro courses, but I wouldn't say better.

cute course, but lacks wow.

1    6/19/2010   6/19/2010
Review By: prerube
Pros: Nice park with isolated from other activities
2 tee pads for each basket
Nice variety of distances 218-540 ft.
Warnings about where poison ivy was the worst.
Restrooms up by baseball diamond (hole 15)
Map and Score card available at Kiosk.
Course is beginner friendly (assuming they stay away from the poison ivy)
Park is attractive with water fountain in lake, flowers, and manicured lawns.
Cons: Poison ivy is really bad, but Dave Becker was out spraying trying to keep it undercontrol.
No tee pads, just 2 posts with numbers.
No tee signs.
A lot of straight open shots.

Other Thoughts: Hole 15 pro tee is overgrown and the only shot left is a tomahawk or a thumber.
Water is intimidating on hole 10, but not necessarily in play.
Course is nice, but not exciting to play. I would love to have a course like this nearby, but I would still sneak out to play near by Heritage and Woodsboro.

It was difficult to think of many pros or cons for this course, it was a nice 18, but not anything very memorable to set it apart from other courses. 2.5 is "decent and typical" which describes this course well.

Awesome

5+    4/9/2010   4/11/2010
Review By: Smmdolph13
Pros: Great course, great place to meet other disc golfers! Tuesday night singles are great. come out and have some fun!
Cons: None, excellent course
Other Thoughts: check out the secret 19th hole, right down from the 18th pen. wooden post in ground marks tee. Shot over the pond to the practice tee. good luck!

Has gradually improved

5+    10/14/2008   8/7/2009
Review By: GroundHog
Pros: Served me well during my early years playing the sport. Good course for introducing friends to the pursuit. Positive changes made a few holes more challenging. Scenic.
Cons: Out-growable, but still worth a play now & then.
Baskets could be further upgraded.
Other Thoughts: Thanks Dan!

Beginner Course

5+    9/16/2008   1/29/2009
Review By: craigg
Pros: Hey baskets are a good thing, no matter where they are!!
This course is great for exposure purposes - offering a not too difficult course into an area where course density is fairly low (until recently). It's an easy walk, with little chance of losing a disc. Also has some good local folks always willing to lend a hand, or offer some instruction. Location is in a nice neighborhood park - always a plus.
Cons: Natural tees, and a lack of good signs make the course a little difficult to find the first time - and a little difficult to "discover" for the newbie, just due to lack of information.
Other Thoughts: This course in Frederick County, MD served as a spring board for other local parks to install their own DG courses. And now there are 2 more that have gone in in the last 3 years within about 10 miles.

Great for beginners

1    1/1/2009   1/23/2009
Review By: Cerealman
Pros: This course is excellent for beginners. While visiting my parents in Boonsboro over the holidays, I picked a cold and windy morning to check out this course.

The wide open holes will allow the beginner to get a feel of the game and not worry about losing a disc.

Several holes on the back nine, especially #17, offer a nice obstacle challenge.

The park is beautiful -- very picturesque and set in a nice neighborhood.
Cons: Holes 1-6 are boring -- grip it and rip it.

The location of the "tees" and the proper basket are tough to figure out the first time through.

The "tees" are grass.

Several of the baskets are bent and in mediocre shape.
Other Thoughts: If you're an experienced disc golf player, skip holes #1 through #6. The course gets more interesting starting with hole #7.

However, I will definitely come back to this course next time I'm in Maryland to introduce my father and brother to the great game of disc golf.

Relaxed Fun

2-4    11/8/2008   11/8/2008
Review By: swatso
This review was updated on 5/29/2009
Pros: Two tee locations per hole.
Beautiful location.
Map/scorecard available online was very useful.
Minimal chance to lose a disc.
Cons: No tee pads. Baskets in mediocre condition.
With so may baskets "intertwined", easy to see large numbers on the top of each basket would be very useful.
Other Thoughts: Most holes on the front nine, and a few on the back nine, are pretty much straight, no obstacle throws, The other holes require some hyzers, or "threading a needle", so to speak.

From the short tees, the average disatnce is about 275'; from the long tees, 325'.

No too far from Heritage and Woodsboro.

Favourite hole: #5, but I'm biased. My opening drive hit the top of the basket!

While in Frederick...

2-4    7/1/2008   10/9/2008
Review By: Jimb
This review was updated on 10/1/2011
Pros: Nice park facilities. Convenient parking, restrooms, picnic facilities, playground equipment, etc. 18 holes that are pretty quick to play. When the box is loaded, there's a really nice map & scorecard available.

Lot's of opportunity to air out your shots. Several holes are simply long and open so you can really grip it and rip it. (***Update 9-20-10. Note that my consistent flat ground driver distance is about 325', thus my option to air it out here. Big arms probably won't feel the same way about it.***)

This openness would also make the course nice to play for very inexperienced players. It may get a little dull for experienced players.

The pond can come into play a little, and is really pretty. Plus there are really nice views of the surrounding mountains.
Cons: Several holes are just wide open holes where you have a bunch of grass between you and the pin and nothing else. It's fun to really air it out, but when there's so much open space, the need for accuracy is really diminished.

Even the holes that aren't in open fields are pretty simple to play. There's not a whole lot of need for strategy, or really for a variety of shotmaking skills needed to score well here.

And look out for the woods. I can't blame anyone but myself, but I got the worst case of poison that I've ever had on this course. If you go into the brush to the left on holes #15 or #16 look out. Make sure you have long socks and sleeves available if you want to retrieve your disc. Now if my tee hadn't gone so far left, it would have been a non issue. On a positive note, if you have the map, they do warn you about the poison areas on the course. I just thought that "I didn't catch poison." I was wrong.

And, again totally my fault, beware of losing discs on hole #5 or maybe even #6. There's a fenced maintenance area that can come into play on slightly errant tee shots. If the area is closed, you may not be able to get your disc back. I'm from out of the area so I left a note about a disc that I couldn't get to in the fence. A gentleman called me and said that he had my disc and that he'd mail it to me. I can't say that he didn't mail it, or if maybe it got lost in the mail, but I just know that I never got it back. And what a shame, it was my favorite Champion Valkyrie. (The MD Course Dude (PDGA Rep I think?), Dan Becker, returned my disc to me. Thanks Dan!)
Other Thoughts: I hated to have to give this course a 1.5. However, based upon the courses that I've played, if 2 is average, then some courses have to be below average. And this would be one of them.

This isn't to say that you can't have fun here, because you can. Heck, I've gone back three times myself from out of the area. So if you find yourself passing through Frederick, or even Hagerstown, it's worth giving it a shot.

And when some of the new plantings grow, it really could make the course more challenging and less totally open as several of the holes are now.

It's been said about other sports before, but for me... a bad day of discin' is better than a good day doing a lot of other things.

***1-1-09***
Updated score to 2 based upon changes made to descriptions of course scores on the site after I did my review.

Has promise

1    9/20/2008   9/24/2008
Review By: harpsm
Pros: Good for a quick round.
Good for beginners.
Course was well-groomed and mowed (when I was there).
Nice scenery.
Course maps available at Hole 1.
Free play.
Cons: Most holes are in wide open field.
Grass tees.
Some holes play near walking paths and athletic fields.
Some baskets look old and abused.
Other Thoughts: There are a bunch of newly planted trees in the area of holes 12-18 that might give the course some technical challenge in 5-10 years when the trees mature (if they aren't obliterated by discs first). The course has Pro and Am tees; Pro tees are often much longer, but don't really change the nature of holes. I wouldn't go out of my way to play here, but it's a nice treat for locals.

Technical shots

8/4/2008   8/4/2008
Review By: JackyFrost
Pros: The trees on the back nine do create options for use of some more technical throws.

11 - Roller (Fore or Backhand)
12 - Flick or Tomahawk
15 - Thumber or Tomahawk
17 - Super high hyzer or shortcut flick over the trees directly at the pin (risky)
Cons: Weeds and other growth along holes 14 & 15's basket make it very hard to find your disc.