Euclid, OH
Sims Park Disc Golf Share

< Prev 1 2 3
could be a very good course but...

2-4    7/11/2013   7/11/2013
Review By: jlangr
Pros: A nice mix of holes: a few tight, wooded, short-distance, a couple with good views of Lake Erie, and a number of good distance (350') holes across nice green expanses with a few trees.

Two extra holes (A and B) are nice additions. However...
Cons: Baskets on a couple holes are a little too hard to spot, where tees start in the park area but the baskets are positioned in small concaves in the trees. I tossed toward the wrong "inlet" on hole 3 and went for basket #5 (I think) mistakenly--and this after my third visit.

The first two times I played, two months ago, hole two was a muddy pit and near-unplayable if you ended up in the muck. Since there was a heavy thunderstorm the prior evening, I didn't bother this time. My shoes still got soaked. In the wide, flat grass expanses, there managed to be a lot of slushy footing, and too many wide little "ponds" that were at least 3"-4" deep.

The hole 7 tee was completely under water, too deep to go into (even though my shoes were already soaked by that time), so I threw from about 5 yards to the right.

Hole B is a bit too close to the playground, always frequented by families and young children. I watched with amusement one outing when a couple players had to urge a kid to stop climbing all over the basket so they could throw.

Generally the discs are easy to spot, but with the significant rains, the grass is a little higher than it probably should be.

Sims

5+    2/27/2013   3/1/2013
Review By: Rowdy216
Pros: Great mix of short technical/wooded holes and open/long-ish holes.
Beautiful views of Lake Erie.
Rest rooms.
Good course for disc golfers of almost any level.
Nice play ground for kids.
Concrete tee pads on almost every hole.
Cons: Course gets super muddy after a good bit of rain.
Winds coming off the lake can wreak havoc on your game. (note:wind is not always an issue)
The apartment complex that runs along holes 9, 10, and 11 is unsightly, and can be rather loud at times.
Other Thoughts: I really like the way the first 11 holes play.The first 4 holes have great views of the lake. Holes 5, 6, and 7 go through a wooded area, and reward players that can hit the lines with ace runs and birdies. While holes 8 through 11 are great low celing shots. After that, the holes open up more and get longer for players that like to grip and rip. This is one of the better courses in the Cleveland area, and is a must play if you are near by.

Sims Park

1    10/12/2012   10/12/2012
Review By: Sbartlebaugh
Pros: - variety of holes, tight, turns, open, trees, windy, calm
- good mix of shorter and longer holes
- good concrete tee pads
- lake views
Cons: - signing is poor to next tee but can be figured out
- could use one or two very long holes
- not much elevation change
Other Thoughts: - ruts from cyclocross bikes on the course, so it's a double bonus if you're there on race day. CX racers are nuts to start with so they probably won't mind flying disc hazards. Poses a moving obstacle for the golfers.
- nice course

2-4    8/5/2012   8/8/2012
Review By: trumpetman330
Pros: -Great variety of holes
-Woods shots are clear, yet still have enough tree obstacles
-A few great "grip it and rip it" holes
-Various Par 4's mixed in.
-Well maintained
Cons: -Navigating from hole to hole is difficult
-No general hole layout
-The newly added Hole 19 is unrealistic.
-Pedestrians will sometimes get in the way
-Easy to lose disc on Hole 2 if you choose to go around to the right near the beach.
Other Thoughts: Overall, I felt that this course is very nicely designed and maintained. The only true con I have is that if you're playing this course for the first time and don't have someone with you who has played it before, some hole to hole navigation can get irksome. In addition, finding the baskets from the tee box can be a little annoying as well.
Overall though, if you can get through the course at least once, it is more than worth playing again.
I would drive at least an hour and a half to two hours to play this course!

1    6/22/2012   6/22/2012
Review By: BrianLyons
This review was updated on 6/28/2012
Pros: Some nice long holes.
Challenging terrain.
Good place to play when sunny as there are plenty of big tree's for shade.
Not a far walk from the parking lot.
Cons: Confusing layout.
Hard to see the basket on more then a few holes.
Plenty of walkers and projects dwellers through the playing area.
I thought the one hole was dangerously close to a playground that is usually very full of little kids.
Other Thoughts: This was my first time playing sims,Overall I liked it but if I played by myself and not with a few people who already been there it would have been confusing to find the basket on some shots or even to find the next hole.
There are many,Many tree's that stand in your way from that long beautiful drive,At first I really liked the challenge then after hitting the tree's so many times it started pissing me off.
Overall I think it is a pretty good course,shady for the most part and plenty of long holes. I will be going back to play again,but not crazy about the surroundings.

Euclidean Disc Golf - way more fun than Geometry!

1    5/28/2012   6/10/2012
Review By: BogeyNoMore
This review was updated on 11/18/2013
Pros: Plays around a simple, well-groomed city park next to Lake Eerie.
Plays like two completely different courses: The holes towards the back of the park (1-8 and 21) are short, technical holes, well treed for the most part, with some moderate elevation changes. Some are fairly straight forward, with a few that could be a bit tricky, perhaps benefitting from some local knowledge. Holes 9- 20 play quite a bit longer, very flat and open, with just a smattering of trees to avoid. Wooded holes offer limited lines, whereas the open holes present many options to reach the circle.
Provides some nice views of the lake and beach: the walk from 1 to 2, as well as the basket for 2, is essentially along the beach, and the lake is clearly visible from fairways 3 and 4.
Appropriate for beginners.
Many tee pads lie in the shade of a large tree - nice on hot days.
Tall tee posts show hole #, distance, direction, and aid in finding the next tee.
Park and course was clean, well-maintained, pleasant to look at and play through.
Right next to beach if you (or non-playing company) want to take a dip or sunbathe.
Cons: Potential safety concerns are always my #1 con. Seems like this park gets a decent amount of dog walkers, people chilling, and other non-DG traffic; certainly not optimal. Nonetheless, DG can co-exist with other park activities if people exercise caution and courtesy. Other park patrons have every right to not be part of your round.
Despite the contrast from short/tech to medium/open fairways, Sims lacks variety: Wooded holes range from 190' - 285'. Open holes range from 260'-395'. Except for a few holes (1, 2, 8, 21), there's really no need for well-rounded shot making repertoire. A putter or mid on a hyzer line will work well for about half of the first eight, and while you can play several lines on the open holes, 250-350 thrown flat and fairly straight with some fade at the end is all you really need. Master that, and you can score well here.
21st hole seems like a crammed in afterthought and an invitation to lose a disc if you're playing solo.
Feels repetitive pretty quickly.
Could benefit from a few benches scattered about near some of the tees.
Other Thoughts: Wind off the lake can make for an interesting round.
Course flows pretty well, but first timers would be well advised to print the map.
Not bad, but not worth going out of your way for. If I draw some fire for saying this, so be it: I don't see how this course had a 3.65 rating after 24 reviews.
I realize the orig 18 were already installed, and 19-21 came later, but to keep things from feeling so repetitive, instead of adding three new baskets, it would have been better if they extended a few of the open holes longer, and wrapped some of the long holes around a stand of trees so you had to throw a big hyzer or annie. In other words, quality over quantity.
Located near the heart of town, minutes (if not seconds) from food, drink, and anything else you could need (doesn't seem like the greatest town, but didn't seem sketchy, either).
My faves: 1, 2, 8, and 19 (2nd optional hole).

I hit Sims Park on my way back from Pittsburgh - not bad, but not worth going out of your way for. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my round, but that alone doesn't mean it's a good course. Disc golf (like certain other recreational activities ;-) doesn't have to be incredible to be fun.

Scenic Letdown

1    11/11/2011   11/16/2011
Review By: Discobedience
Pros: The front 9 of this course if very beautiful and moderately well laid out. I had a great time winding my way through trees, bushes, and forced shots. They were not incredibly original but offered some interesting lanes. There were some very picturesque holes and a great photo opportunity on holes 1's basket, set right on the beach with the waves crashing in the background. The front 9 had a great left/right fade balance, making this competitive for both backhand and forehand players. The canopy overhead on all 18 holes made you consider your shot from multiple angles, forcing you low and accurate quite a bit. You shouldn't require much more than a putter and a mid on the front. But do keep those drivers in there for the back 9. The back 9 really gives you a chance to open up and get those discs flying longer distances.

The standout holes for me on the course were holes numbers 4, 6, & 7.
Cons: There were quite a few things that I did not necessarily like about the park also. First off, the wind was so strong that it almost made the course unplayable. Having a course directly on Lake Eerie will probably do that though and this should be taken into consideration before visiting. I only played the course once but I believe the weather conditions were rather standard. Approaching the back 9 after playing the front was very disappointing. It offered very little diversity and the scenery was sub-par. The entire back 9 is long driver shots without many obstacles to get in your way, very forgiving. You play back in forth in a field that runs along a road with a dingy strip mall and a housing development. After the front 9 on the water, the back 9 was a letdown. Don't forget to bring extra footwear because this course also has a lot of very swampy and wet land.
Other Thoughts: After turning into Sims Park you want to park and head to the right-hand side of the central building, its back there you will find the first hole and the Sims Park Disc Golf board. I would recommend that you take a quick picture of the layout, without having done that I would have gotten rather lost trying to find some of the holes. I think this course is rated much higher than it should be. I would give this course about a 2.5 and not recommend it unless you had the excess free time.

Don't believe the hype

1    10/29/2011   10/29/2011
Review By: Bikinimower
Pros: Gorgeous views of the Lake
Great Park, lots of trash cans, clean, mowed, and maintained.
Extra Holes
Not a lot of variety in the land available but they were able to make the most of the subtle changes, and use the land well
Front nine has a high fun factor
Cons: Back nine is thoughtless and repetitive
Can get swampy
Not a lot of variety
Maybe a little problems with navigating if you don't know your way around
Other Thoughts: This was a fun course that I would recommend for anyone living nearby but it wasn't near as good as I expected. It had a pretty high score from this site.

The course itself is located on a very nice Lakefront Park. It has plenty of trash cans and porta-jons, and it is well kept and mowed. It was beyond soggy when I was there. it was an odd experience because even when the ground looked dry I still found myself sinking into it. I won't let that have an impact on my rating because I don't know if that's typical or not. Just a heads up

The front 9 is pretty fun, it weaves in and out of a small pocket of woods and along some really beautiful views of the lake. A lot of creativity went into designing this part of the course. It is fairly short and technical. I had a good time playing it

The back 9 I didn't enjoy as much, it was a seris of longer very repetitive holes as it zig zags across an open field. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy testing my arm and seeing if I could launch a few bombs but after 6-7 in a row that are all pretty much the same the fun had worn off and my arm was tired.

If you live in the Cleveland area hit this place up. It's a good time. Grab a grilled Cheese Sandwich from the Melt Bar and Grilled while your there (I did and it was great!) But I wouldn't make this one a priority for a road trip.

Fun but flooded!

2-4    9/10/2011   9/13/2011
Review By: Brall
Pros: - There are a few different parking areas that are small to choose from
- Play area for the kids
- Bathrooms located in between Hole #1 Tee and Hole #18 Basket
- Nice Kiosk
- Trash cans at the start and finish of the course (could use one or two more for sure mid way through the course)
- Practice basket near the Kiosk
- The map is very accurate and helpful
- 17 of the 21 Tees are concrete and in great condition
- High quality Posts with bag holders by 18 of the 21 Tees labeling hole number, distance & direction to the Basket
- Next Tee tape on the bottom of some of the baskets
- The baskets are in excellent condition
- The course is mostly open but it does have some very nice wooded obstacles to get around, over & under. You start out at Hole #1 with small trees to get over in a tight fairway that ends with the basket on the right. Great overhand opportunity here. #2 is a very tight, short, sharp right-hand turn. #4 starts out open but enters the woods in a small spot 220' out from the tee so bring your accuracy. #4 is a lot of fun! After that you play the next few holes in the woods which are beautiful in the summer. The wooded holes can be technical and have both right and left turns and a lot of overhangs to get under.
- Plenty of obstacles but a low chance of losing a disc
- The scenery and landscape is mix of pretty woods, well manicured lawn & a nice beach view of Lake Erie. Certainly a pretty course that would have good-looking views any time of the year.
- Good upkeep. Well mowed and clean.
- The course did not seem busy by park goers or disc golfers, however, I most likely got lucky both times I was there.
- The front nine are very short, no holes over 300', but the back holes open up and there are 7 holes over 300'. Overall the distance is average or a bit short and there are certainly some ace opportunities here.
Cons: - The distances on the Tee Signs/Posts are not always in agreement with actual distances
- This course can be very muddy and will flood in many places. Holes 5-7 can quickly become unplayable (my group was forced to skip those) and Baskets 9, 11 & 15 can be surrounded by water pretty quickly.
- Hole #11 Basket is very close to the road but is labeled as a temping 260' so I'm sure many risk going for the ace and I'm sure many have landed in the road (and that road has very heavy traffic)
Other Thoughts: - Nice beach but it's small and there is no swimming or grilling allowed
- To play the 21 hole layout you play normally until Hole #17. At that point you play Hole #18 which has no Tee Post/Sign, just a kickboard on a natural Tee. The Basket is labeled 'A'. Next is Hole #19 which also isn't marked and you are aiming at the Basket labeled 'B'. After that is Hole #20 which has Hole #18's Post/Sign at it's concrete tee. Then last is Hole #21 which is passed Hole #1 and also aims at the lake.
- Unfortunately I completely forgot to play Hole #21 so I can't say anything about that. I'll play it next year.
- Do not set your equipment down and venture too far from it by Holes #9-11. They play along a housing development in a neighborhood that is listed as having a higher crime rate than surrounding areas.
- The overall flow has it's Pro's and Con's so I won't count it against the rating. It makes more sense to park at Hole #20 so that when you are done you don't have a long walk back to the car. After parking at Hole #20's Basket, it flows better if you start at Hole #21, then move onto Hole #1 and play it from there. There is a short walk on the beach from Hole #1's Basket to Hole #2's Tee. A longer walk up the hill from #2 to #3. The map becomes handy to get from #4 to #5 because there are a few defined trails to choose from. The flow greatly improves from that point on and the designers made excellent use of the available land.
- Sims does have some elevation changes on Holes #1 & 2 but not really anywhere else. Fairly flat and open for the most part.
- A few benches would add a lot to this course.
- I would not label this course as one of the more challenging courses around but it is a fun course to play and bring a few beginners with you while still having a few technical and longer holes to challenge the better player.
- The most challenging hole for me was Hole #2. I need to work on my forehand and this extremely short and insanely sharp right turning fairway (which is also paper-thin) gave me some trouble. Easy hole to play safely but this can backfire if you go for the ace. A safe 3 can become a 5 because of the rough here.
- There are no real signature holes but I do enjoy Hole #5. It's technical in the summer when the woods are in full growth leaving a small area to penetrate the deeper woods and once inside the woods there are a few small hills to get by before you get to the basket which is in a small, clear, sunken area. Very pretty putting circle here.
- I do not label this course as a destination course to travel long distances to play but I really like this course a lot and I will try to make the trip here once a year since it is close. It's a very beautiful course and not a bad place to bring the family.

A nice course

5+    9/2/2011   9/8/2011
Review By: bajinabass
This review was updated on 8/30/2012
Pros: -Location - This course is located right off the lake. The first 4 holes allow you to see the lake. Even secret hole #19.
-Layout - Now some people have complained but I like it. Challenging and technical front 9 with long, still slightly challenging, back 11.
-People - Everyone that plays there is very nice. I've only seen one instance with a group of *insert nasty name here* who where acting out of hand.
-Mondays - Scramble tourneys at 6. I've only played it once but it was a great time. And they put "A" players with "B" players to make it competitive.
-Crowd - This deals with non-golfers. Park is usually decently busy but it seems like they all know where the holes are and they pay attention while in the areas. Kids still tend to ride their bikes through 5, 6, and 7. Hell, I used to when I was a kid, but that was 16 years ago and there was no course.
Cons: -Drainage - If it rains heavily, and it has in 2011, holes 1, 2, 5, 7, and 19 can become almost unplayable.
-Safety - Alternate hole "B", that's what I call it. It's the hole from the entrance off of Lakeshore to the basket by the playground. And that's my concern, a very good throw can hit a kid who is running around over there. The bike trail by 12 and 13 don't really come into play in my opinion as you need to throw way to the right of it. That, and I never see anyone use the path anyway.
-Poison Oak - This is just basically a warning for anyone playing the course. The pine looking trees by the 4th tee have poison oak in them. A bad drive from #3 can put you in them. Buddy of mine had a bad experience and that's how we found out.
-Next tee signs - from #2 to #3 and #4 to #5 can cause people some confusion.
Other Thoughts: UPDATE 8-30-12: They are changing hole locations for the following holes: 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 12, 15, 16, 17, and 18. Should be done in the next week or two. If you play before the move, you can see where the new holes will be. They are marked by pink squares.

This is my local course and I do play it all the time. It is the best in the area in my opinion. I'm not a great golfer by any means. My personal best score is +1. I would recommend this course for beginners up to seasoned veterans. I also find it's perfect to go early in the morning as it is very quiet and peaceful.

< Prev 1 2 3