Euclid, OH

< Prev 1 2 3 4
 Beautiful and Fun Beginner's course

1    5/4/2015   5/4/2015
Review By: mprewett
Pros: Right by Lake Erie
Beautiful setting
Full 18 holes
Concrete tees
Pleasant people
Friendly animals :)
Cons: Most of the interesting holes are at the beginning.
No maps, not even a course map.
Hidden baskets.
Other Thoughts: I had a lovely time on a Sunday here. There was a fairly steady set of players coming through and I ended up playing the course with a group of three that came after me. They were very pleasant - a couple from Florida and their friend from Pittsburgh, now Ohio transplants. It was really cool to meet such nice people on the course.

There is a set of holes in a small wooded section that had deer ambling around -- not quite wild, not quite tame. There were animals everywhere at this course, which is pretty fun, if you like animals.

The holes themselves were fairly straightforward shots, except for a couple at the beginning. Lots of wide open space on the back half, wooded on the front.

This is the first course I've been to that didn't have any maps. We spent the entire course trying to find the next tee and basket. Sort of fun, sort of frustrating.

As a beginner, it was fun to have moderate challenges, but still have room for error. More skilled players will still enjoy the front half for some of the challenging lines and protected baskets.

I'll definitely be going again!

Sims Park in December!

1    12/22/2014   12/29/2014
Review By: labbatom77
Pros: Very technical on the first few holes, with a few blind throws and elevation changes with plenty of trees.
The second half was mostly long distance with wide approaches. A bit repetitive, but good for a beginner to figure out how to properly throw their discs straight.
Cons: Some of the baskets, especially in the trees could have a little bit brighter markers/flags. Hard to find them.
Some of the Tees had the map/hole layout while others did not. I threw to the wrong hole once.
The map at the Practice Hole shows 18 in one place, but the actual tee box and basket are labeled differently.
Other Thoughts: Since this was late December, I expected it to be a little soggy. I was right. Be prepared for some mud and standing water in places if it has rained (or there was snowmelt) in the past few days. As a beginner this was not too difficult.

could be a very good course but...

2-4    7/11/2013   7/11/2013
Review By: jlangr
Pros: A nice mix of holes: a few tight, wooded, short-distance, a couple with good views of Lake Erie, and a number of good distance (350') holes across nice green expanses with a few trees.

Two extra holes (A and B) are nice additions. However...
Cons: Baskets on a couple holes are a little too hard to spot, where tees start in the park area but the baskets are positioned in small concaves in the trees. I tossed toward the wrong "inlet" on hole 3 and went for basket #5 (I think) mistakenly--and this after my third visit.

The first two times I played, two months ago, hole two was a muddy pit and near-unplayable if you ended up in the muck. Since there was a heavy thunderstorm the prior evening, I didn't bother this time. My shoes still got soaked. In the wide, flat grass expanses, there managed to be a lot of slushy footing, and too many wide little "ponds" that were at least 3"-4" deep.

The hole 7 tee was completely under water, too deep to go into (even though my shoes were already soaked by that time), so I threw from about 5 yards to the right.

Hole B is a bit too close to the playground, always frequented by families and young children. I watched with amusement one outing when a couple players had to urge a kid to stop climbing all over the basket so they could throw.

Generally the discs are easy to spot, but with the significant rains, the grass is a little higher than it probably should be.

Sims

5+    2/27/2013   3/1/2013
Review By: Rowdy216
Pros: Great mix of short technical/wooded holes and open/long-ish holes.
Beautiful views of Lake Erie.
Rest rooms.
Good course for disc golfers of almost any level.
Nice play ground for kids.
Concrete tee pads on almost every hole.
Cons: Course gets super muddy after a good bit of rain.
Winds coming off the lake can wreak havoc on your game. (note:wind is not always an issue)
The apartment complex that runs along holes 9, 10, and 11 is unsightly, and can be rather loud at times.
Other Thoughts: I really like the way the first 11 holes play.The first 4 holes have great views of the lake. Holes 5, 6, and 7 go through a wooded area, and reward players that can hit the lines with ace runs and birdies. While holes 8 through 11 are great low celing shots. After that, the holes open up more and get longer for players that like to grip and rip. This is one of the better courses in the Cleveland area, and is a must play if you are near by.

Sims Park

1    10/12/2012   10/12/2012
Review By: Sbartlebaugh
Pros: - variety of holes, tight, turns, open, trees, windy, calm
- good mix of shorter and longer holes
- good concrete tee pads
- lake views
Cons: - signing is poor to next tee but can be figured out
- could use one or two very long holes
- not much elevation change
Other Thoughts: - ruts from cyclocross bikes on the course, so it's a double bonus if you're there on race day. CX racers are nuts to start with so they probably won't mind flying disc hazards. Poses a moving obstacle for the golfers.
- nice course

2-4    8/5/2012   8/8/2012
Review By: trumpetman330
Pros: -Great variety of holes
-Woods shots are clear, yet still have enough tree obstacles
-A few great "grip it and rip it" holes
-Various Par 4's mixed in.
-Well maintained
Cons: -Navigating from hole to hole is difficult
-No general hole layout
-The newly added Hole 19 is unrealistic.
-Pedestrians will sometimes get in the way
-Easy to lose disc on Hole 2 if you choose to go around to the right near the beach.
Other Thoughts: Overall, I felt that this course is very nicely designed and maintained. The only true con I have is that if you're playing this course for the first time and don't have someone with you who has played it before, some hole to hole navigation can get irksome. In addition, finding the baskets from the tee box can be a little annoying as well.
Overall though, if you can get through the course at least once, it is more than worth playing again.
I would drive at least an hour and a half to two hours to play this course!

1    6/22/2012   6/22/2012
Review By: BrianLyons
This review was updated on 6/28/2012
Pros: Some nice long holes.
Challenging terrain.
Good place to play when sunny as there are plenty of big tree's for shade.
Not a far walk from the parking lot.
Cons: Confusing layout.
Hard to see the basket on more then a few holes.
Plenty of walkers and projects dwellers through the playing area.
I thought the one hole was dangerously close to a playground that is usually very full of little kids.
Other Thoughts: This was my first time playing sims,Overall I liked it but if I played by myself and not with a few people who already been there it would have been confusing to find the basket on some shots or even to find the next hole.
There are many,Many tree's that stand in your way from that long beautiful drive,At first I really liked the challenge then after hitting the tree's so many times it started pissing me off.
Overall I think it is a pretty good course,shady for the most part and plenty of long holes. I will be going back to play again,but not crazy about the surroundings.

Euclidean Disc Golf - way more fun than Geometry!

1    5/28/2012   6/10/2012
Review By: BogeyNoMore
This review was updated on 11/18/2013
Pros: Plays around a simple, well-groomed city park next to Lake Eerie.
Plays like two completely different courses: The holes towards the back of the park (1-8 and 21) are short, technical holes, well treed for the most part, with some moderate elevation changes. Some are fairly straight forward, with a few that could be a bit tricky, perhaps benefitting from some local knowledge. Holes 9- 20 play quite a bit longer, very flat and open, with just a smattering of trees to avoid. Wooded holes offer limited lines, whereas the open holes present many options to reach the circle.
Provides some nice views of the lake and beach: the walk from 1 to 2, as well as the basket for 2, is essentially along the beach, and the lake is clearly visible from fairways 3 and 4.
Appropriate for beginners.
Many tee pads lie in the shade of a large tree - nice on hot days.
Tall tee posts show hole #, distance, direction, and aid in finding the next tee.
Park and course was clean, well-maintained, pleasant to look at and play through.
Right next to beach if you (or non-playing company) want to take a dip or sunbathe.
Cons: Potential safety concerns are always my #1 con. Seems like this park gets a decent amount of dog walkers, people chilling, and other non-DG traffic; certainly not optimal. Nonetheless, DG can co-exist with other park activities if people exercise caution and courtesy. Other park patrons have every right to not be part of your round.
Despite the contrast from short/tech to medium/open fairways, Sims lacks variety: Wooded holes range from 190' - 285'. Open holes range from 260'-395'. Except for a few holes (1, 2, 8, 21), there's really no need for well-rounded shot making repertoire. A putter or mid on a hyzer line will work well for about half of the first eight, and while you can play several lines on the open holes, 250-350 thrown flat and fairly straight with some fade at the end is all you really need. Master that, and you can score well here.
21st hole seems like a crammed in afterthought and an invitation to lose a disc if you're playing solo.
Feels repetitive pretty quickly.
Could benefit from a few benches scattered about near some of the tees.
Other Thoughts: Wind off the lake can make for an interesting round.
Course flows pretty well, but first timers would be well advised to print the map.
Not bad, but not worth going out of your way for. If I draw some fire for saying this, so be it: I don't see how this course had a 3.65 rating after 24 reviews.
I realize the orig 18 were already installed, and 19-21 came later, but to keep things from feeling so repetitive, instead of adding three new baskets, it would have been better if they extended a few of the open holes longer, and wrapped some of the long holes around a stand of trees so you had to throw a big hyzer or annie. In other words, quality over quantity.
Located near the heart of town, minutes (if not seconds) from food, drink, and anything else you could need (doesn't seem like the greatest town, but didn't seem sketchy, either).
My faves: 1, 2, 8, and 19 (2nd optional hole).

I hit Sims Park on my way back from Pittsburgh - not bad, but not worth going out of your way for. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my round, but that alone doesn't mean it's a good course. Disc golf (like certain other recreational activities ;-) doesn't have to be incredible to be fun.

Scenic Letdown

1    11/11/2011   11/16/2011
Review By: Discobedience
Pros: The front 9 of this course if very beautiful and moderately well laid out. I had a great time winding my way through trees, bushes, and forced shots. They were not incredibly original but offered some interesting lanes. There were some very picturesque holes and a great photo opportunity on holes 1's basket, set right on the beach with the waves crashing in the background. The front 9 had a great left/right fade balance, making this competitive for both backhand and forehand players. The canopy overhead on all 18 holes made you consider your shot from multiple angles, forcing you low and accurate quite a bit. You shouldn't require much more than a putter and a mid on the front. But do keep those drivers in there for the back 9. The back 9 really gives you a chance to open up and get those discs flying longer distances.

The standout holes for me on the course were holes numbers 4, 6, & 7.
Cons: There were quite a few things that I did not necessarily like about the park also. First off, the wind was so strong that it almost made the course unplayable. Having a course directly on Lake Eerie will probably do that though and this should be taken into consideration before visiting. I only played the course once but I believe the weather conditions were rather standard. Approaching the back 9 after playing the front was very disappointing. It offered very little diversity and the scenery was sub-par. The entire back 9 is long driver shots without many obstacles to get in your way, very forgiving. You play back in forth in a field that runs along a road with a dingy strip mall and a housing development. After the front 9 on the water, the back 9 was a letdown. Don't forget to bring extra footwear because this course also has a lot of very swampy and wet land.
Other Thoughts: After turning into Sims Park you want to park and head to the right-hand side of the central building, its back there you will find the first hole and the Sims Park Disc Golf board. I would recommend that you take a quick picture of the layout, without having done that I would have gotten rather lost trying to find some of the holes. I think this course is rated much higher than it should be. I would give this course about a 2.5 and not recommend it unless you had the excess free time.

Don't believe the hype

1    10/29/2011   10/29/2011
Review By: Bikinimower
Pros: Gorgeous views of the Lake
Great Park, lots of trash cans, clean, mowed, and maintained.
Extra Holes
Not a lot of variety in the land available but they were able to make the most of the subtle changes, and use the land well
Front nine has a high fun factor
Cons: Back nine is thoughtless and repetitive
Can get swampy
Not a lot of variety
Maybe a little problems with navigating if you don't know your way around
Other Thoughts: This was a fun course that I would recommend for anyone living nearby but it wasn't near as good as I expected. It had a pretty high score from this site.

The course itself is located on a very nice Lakefront Park. It has plenty of trash cans and porta-jons, and it is well kept and mowed. It was beyond soggy when I was there. it was an odd experience because even when the ground looked dry I still found myself sinking into it. I won't let that have an impact on my rating because I don't know if that's typical or not. Just a heads up

The front 9 is pretty fun, it weaves in and out of a small pocket of woods and along some really beautiful views of the lake. A lot of creativity went into designing this part of the course. It is fairly short and technical. I had a good time playing it

The back 9 I didn't enjoy as much, it was a seris of longer very repetitive holes as it zig zags across an open field. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy testing my arm and seeing if I could launch a few bombs but after 6-7 in a row that are all pretty much the same the fun had worn off and my arm was tired.

If you live in the Cleveland area hit this place up. It's a good time. Grab a grilled Cheese Sandwich from the Melt Bar and Grilled while your there (I did and it was great!) But I wouldn't make this one a priority for a road trip.

< Prev 1 2 3 4