Huntsville, AL
Mastin Lake Share
Uploaded By: SimonCarr Hole #15
Hole #15 Approach

Underrated compared to nearby courses and near Dreamland BBQ!

1    11/1/2013   6/24/2014
Review By: filobedo
Pros: Here goes but I hope I do not get the holes mixed up particularly on the back. I played this course on a day that I also played Brahan Springs and I enjoyed this much more due to the scenery (foliage in the fall was spectacular) and elevation on a few holes. I initially went to Indian Creek and there was probably the largest monthly I have ever seen going on by a club (appeared to be at least 100 players) so I had the other courses to myself. There were a few hardcore dgers at Brahan that were not very courteous or helpful so I played it fast and headed to Mastin (I guess they were stressed about paying $250 for their brand new dg bags and another $150 on their brand new dg logo wear. The only other time I have encountered locals that did not seem accommodating while traveling was at Winter Park in WI). This course was definitely worth the drive across town and below are the highlights.
#1 - #2 - Short tight holes for shotmakers which were great to start off with a Roc
#5 - up and over hill with slight anhyzer at the end
#6 - fun hole up hill to basket on flat ground. Good shot at birdie if played smart
#7 - # 9 - Tight tunnel shots were accuracy is a must. Very good holes which can change a round.
Somewhere between #10 - #12 there is a very fun hyzer hole where you start off low and the basket is elevated about 20 feet higher than the teepad where accurate teeshot is a must for birdie.
#13 - one of the longer holes on the course where the teeshot must be accurate for shot at par.
#15 - great hole (hope I am not confusing with #13). Shot across creek to place in fairway then up hill to a pin on the left when played.
#17 - Great downhill tunnel shot. No room for error and it is all of 350' but plays about 280'.

Cons: No biggie but I think #3 and #4 are not consistent with the course because they play out of the woods over a creek into a field and then into the woods over the creek from the woods.
Other Thoughts: This was a very fast play and fun. I could see this being a great course for midrange practice and placement shots. I could also see less egos playing here due to the short holes and accuracy being a premium. Not only is the course great but it is only about a 5 minute ride to Dreamland BBQ which was another fantastic stop on my trip. I would think most in the area would note Redstone or Indian Creek as the best or must plays and I would agree but if you like old school courses, I would play this if Brahan is crowded.

All around great course

1    3/23/2011   3/23/2011
Review By: superchadw
Pros: Really enjoyed this course. Had 4 other people with me that was there first time and they had a blast. There's not many areas that your disc can be lost or buried to where you cant find it like other places ive been. Ive played a good bit and thought it was challenging enough for me.
Cons: There was a football game going on in the park next to a pin and we had to skip that hole due to it. Not a huge deal though.

Great Coarse

1    1/5/2010   2/1/2010
Review By: chainbanger14
Pros: Great mixture of tight shots and open fairways! elevation changes. there is a creek that runs through part of the course.
Cons: no cons particularly agrivating. wish there was a bridge in some spots to cross the creek
Other Thoughts: in all a great course, btw watch out for the pitbull on one of the holes. i nicknamed him hercules

Enjoyable Throw In The Woods!

1    7/6/2009   7/7/2009
Pros: The course is set up mostly on the side of a hillside. It does seem as though you play along the hill more than up and down. It's tight and technical but I felt the design was very well thought out. We didn't feel there were any "throwaway holes" where they just stuck a hole in there to get you to the next place. We had no problem navigating the course for the first time. There were tee signs on almost every hole, they must be new. They're nice and informative. We did have to walk ahead a few times and figure out where the basket was. There are multiple basket placements and a couple holes have multiple pads. The pads were more than adequate. My favorite hole was one where you threw across the lawn to a basket just across the large, deep ditch (empty in July). That would be kinda of scary hole when that ditch was filled w/water. It's nice and shady in the Bama sun. Many holes have benches/logs to rest on.
Cons: There's no place for the big air throw. It's tight. I guess the rough is thick compared to many Alabama courses.
Other Thoughts: Enough challenge for everyone, I think, but not so long or foreboding that a newbie can't enjoy it. We brought someone playing only his second time time after Brahan Springs and even though he shot 20 over, he loved the course. So it's newbie friendly.

Excellent!

5+    3/5/2009   3/18/2009
Review By: wirerat123
Pros: This course is an accuracy test no doubt. BIG variety of shots, nice uphills, downhills, lefts, rights, straights. This course is #2 on my bring your learning players here. Brahan Springs being the first and the easiest. Once they start getting close to par every game there, bring them here. It forces you to work on your accuracy. Another great grooming and practice course in Huntsville. If you play nothing but Brahan Springs and Mastin Lake for a year, when you step out on to another course you aren't going to get your heart broken.
Cons: Thick layer of dead leaves makes finding discs a chore sometimes. Needs signs, or something to make finding your way around here easier. Shady neighborhood, have had several people wandering around looking into cars parked here. but it's not a problem when the park is busier.
Other Thoughts: Everyone but the strongest of players will enjoy tuning up on this one. Get ready to get your legs in shape.

mastin lake

5+    9/22/2008   10/14/2008
Review By: wdemick
Pros: elevation changes and variety of shots needed
Cons: bring skeeter spray!
Other Thoughts: players used to wide open courses are brought down to earth here. still one of my favorite all-time courses.

good course

4/13/2008   4/19/2008
Review By: domihop20
Pros: Good clean course with lots of shade and up and down a hill. Challenging.
Cons: none that I can think of
Other Thoughts: easy to miss park tucked away on a residential street