Lake Stevens, WA
Lake Stevens DGC Share
Uploaded By: gottafixit Hole #12 (Taken 5/2010)

Baskets from outer space!

1    6/17/2014   6/17/2014
Review By: longandwrong
Pros: A fun very wooded course. Large trees and a few swampy areas add to the challenge. First couple of times you/I might need a guide. Locals love to play with you to show their course off. And of course the baskets! Makes course management a must...what side do I want my disc to be on when I'm putting? Not counting the weird baskets the course plays fairly consistent...good technical drive-correct approach-putt=par! Enjoy it even when your grumbling about the baskets :)
Cons: Parking is a problem. Just a few spaces on the street at the start of the course. Sign recommends you park downtown (a few blocks away). Summer play when the school is out parking will be better. No bathrooms, signs to the next hole are hit and miss. AND the baskets are from hell. Locals told me on short putts that are blocked by the chain you slam it into the chain and maybe just maybe it will stay.
Other Thoughts: During school a couple of holes run along side the schools playground. Signs say not to play during school hours, locals say the kids are okay and if by accident you throw over the fence they usually will retrieve your disc. Best advice...don't throw over the fence! It's on the left side when facing the basket.
Because the baskets are so weird I think its fun and a great place to bring a group for some weird action.

Short course

1    9/2/2013   9/2/2013
Review By: ferret_1986
Pros: Good mix of terrain and well laid out.
Cons: The holes are way to short, you can have a bad first throw and be using your putter on the second. The targets are stupid. I understand they are to make the holes more difficult but that only seemed to be the case for me on one hole.
Other Thoughts: If you want to play a short course in the woods this course is for you.

Ver Technical

1    7/26/2013   7/27/2013
Review By: navyjay007
Pros: Lots of space and a couple of holes really let you get distance. Lots of local players that seem to be willing to help. They guided me and my wife a few times and we got through the course and had a good time.
Cons: Some of the holes are hard to find the baskets for due to vandalism of the hole map. You can get turned around easy if you are not sure where you are going.
Other Thoughts: The course could use a little more upkeep and replaceing or fixing the shot maps would be a big help. Also repainting the baskets bottom blue or white would help so you know that you are playing the right line. There are two to choose from. (Blue or White)

NAD's annoying and fun little brother

5+    2/20/2012   2/22/2012
Review By: b-mart
Pros: Lake Stevens is a very well maintained course with plenty of challenge. It's short enough for an amateur or lower to enjoy, yet challenging enough for better players with more range. The baskets can kill a birdie or par chance, adding a whole new twist to the game that I like (overall). It really makes you think about your putts and sometimes you have to insert a disc through a tiny window that's absolutely impossible to do... I've seen it done though. Being someone who is constantly SAYING that he needs to work on his short game (and not really doing), this is a feature that will slaughter my score. It's nice though, because it does improve my short game, and if it doesn't it makes me go out to an empty field with a basket and work on putting.

There are trees everywhere on this course, which keeps you dry in the winter and keeps you challenged with very tight fairways. The design of the course takes advantage of every inch that they have here. Hole 4 is the only one that feels like overkill, but it's one that will make your month if you hit your birdie line (or so I assume).

Water hazards! Sometimes in the summer the bogs are just soft, damp looking areas, but in the winter it's a true water hazard. Unlike other courses with water (Rainier, Lakewood, Sunnyside), you don't need a Dragon or Wahoo because the bogs are shallow and are criss crossed with logs that you can risk a run across in order to retrieve your disc.

What else? This course makes you use most of the shots in your repertoire. The only thing it doesn't require is a big arm, which (as I've said in other reviews) is a pro for some of us...

It seems like the only way to lose a disc here is to leave it underwater or to have someon walk off with it after you've taken a blind shot.

The 19th hole is a brilliant idea, since you can't play hole 12 if school is in session. Great way to still let us throw 18, or if it's a weekend, summer, or holiday, a great way to add a playoff hole without making us play into the course again. I still say Lakewood needs to do this for anyone who's afraid of hole 9 there.
Cons: The baskets add a whole new twist to the game. On my best day out on the course I was at least five strokes higher than I should have been thanks to the ridiculous chain placement. I call this a con because I would love to be able to say I was five strokes lower that day (which would have made it my all time best score through 18).

The spray paint on the trees is an eyesore. To do that to a park with such natural beauty is just tragic.

It's kind of off the beaten track (which I prefer) and parking is a headache if school is in session (which I don't).

I haven't met the locals, but I HAVE heard of discs walking away when they're blindly thrown. It's never happened to me, but be watchful.

This is a multi-use park and sometimes other users such as cross country teams will appear in the middle of the fairway when you least expect it. Remember the word "fore". It isn't their responsibility to wear bells and let you know they're there, but I guarantee that it will be a con if you hit somebody.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course in general. I love playing it and try to make it a part of my usual rotation. If you have time and enjoy technical courses, make a day of it with this one and Twin Rivers in Arlington. You can always warm up your short game by opening up in Snohomish at Ferguson as well. The baskets really are a pro and a con at the same time, but they certainly make you perfect your putting and your midrange game. The way I see it is that any course that improves aspects of your game is worth playing. There's also a decent selection of discs down at Games Plus if you don't mind a guy who knows more about Magic The Gathering than disc golf hovering over your shoulder while you're browsing them. Nice guy though.

Learn to love:)

1    9/8/2011   9/9/2011
Review By: StrangeOne
Pros: Nice clean course. I really like the park it's in. Challenging.
Cons: I get making it challenging but some of the holes don't seem to have any type of a fairway? You just throw and hope you don't hit a tree. And signs of any type to lead you to the next hole would be nice? Not spray paint on the trees.
Other Thoughts: This was my first time here and the 2nd time in 4 or so years since I've played. So like my title said, I can really see myself loving this course but it will take a bit of playing to get there.

The only course with these baskets

5+    9/13/2010   5/29/2009
Review By: sillybizz
This review was updated on 7/11/2011
Pros: Very technical course with a lot of different shots and dual tee pads makes it even more technical. A couple of fun shots over and near a bog penalty if it goes in to the water and a decent amount of elevation without wearing you out after the round. Very fun and you can get a round in in about an hour if your fast. The doubles tournament on Mondays is a lot of fun and the locals are really laid back.
Cons: The baskets are horrible to some people and I am getting used to them but the chaining off a side of the basket, it's like putting a four by four in the middle of a putting green on a ball golf course but that being said it's the only course I know of that uses these baskets so I would be against removing them for "real" baskets. The good thing about the baskets is they make you a much more accurate putter. The course is a bit short and I would like to see a couple of holes that you can air it out on, as about half of the course I use a midrange disc on. The tee pads are gravel/dirt because the city doesn't want anything "permanent" in the park as cement.
Other Thoughts: This is a very nice course, the layout is excellent and they did a god job with what they had, and the course is easy to follow which is a plus. Family friendly but still a challenge to people who play regularly which makes this a great disc golf destination. A lot of trees and you will hit many of them so use discs that can take the damage! Recently there has been work done and gravel is now covering the tee pads.

Tough and mostly fair

6/25/2008   6/26/2008
Review By: LanceInTacoma
Pros: As many others have mentioned, the wooded setting is nice. I would imagine, that even on a really hot day, you would be mostly cool in here under the canopy. The course designers certainly did a good job of getting the most out of a fairly small area, acreage-wise. Although others have complained about them, I don't mind the baskets so much, they are certainly unique, at least in my experience, and being a local would have its advantages I suppose, since sometimes being on the right side of the hole offers you a much better chance of draining a putt, than the left side, or vise versa.
Cons: I would like to have a few holes that require a little more distance and power than these do, but it certainly puts a premium on accuracy and control. A little more parking would be nice too, especially since there is a large construction project going on at the school currently, so even though school is out, there was no parking available there.
Other Thoughts: A couple of observations. One, although I only saw three other groups playing during my quick morning round, it seemed everyone was throwing forehands. I don't know if it was just a weird coincidence, or if maybe some of the good locals that play a lot throw mostly forehand and have taught others their favorite shot. Also, my second ace of the year, and third ever came during my round, and it wasn't on one of the shortest holes either. It was a 209 foot tunnel type shot that had to thread the needle through some trees. A nice straight shot witnessed by a couple of 10-11 year old bmxers that were standing around waiting for me to finish the hole so they could go back to their favorite jump. All in all, I liked the course, and would play here occasionally if it were closer to me.

Technical Trees

1    6/19/2008   6/19/2008
Review By: HarbDeaf
This review was updated on 3/19/2009
Pros: Lake Stevens, a heavily treed 5 acre lot mostly huge pines w/ ferns. Beautiful beautiful course. Extremely Technical. First hole you air it out over a meadow towards the forest, to warm you up. Inside, is trees and mo' trees. Lots of elevation changes. Course is designed awesomely for 5 acres. You don't have to worry about hitting other people. Water hazards come and go with the weather. I've met some killer water hazards where you kind of worry about losing your disc. This course has a heavy wooded feel where you have to often have to thread the needle with your disc when you drive. Good luck and expect some tacos.
Cons: Cons in a nutshell are the baskets & chain setting. The Baskets have 4 bars on them, and the chains vary due to vandalism. But really it depends on how you look at it, as a challege or a nuisance? I like to think it's a challenge. Many a disc has bounced out of the basket or gone right thru. You HAVE to throw it perfect to make it go in. The guy playing next to you is in the same boat.
Other Thoughts: Follow the painted arrows on the Trees for the next Tee off. The tees are usually dry and framed w/ wood. Again, heavy trees which is good in rain. Not too many people. Close to Hwy 9 and the Hwy to Grantie Falls.

Downtown Lake Stevens is nearby & the lake. True Value Hardware store carries discs. The course is right next to a school, you can't play during school hours.

Also there's Pro and Am Tees to Tee off from and both are fun! I enjoyed it.

How I love this course!

1/1/2008   3/5/2008
Review By: Disc Golf Fanatic
Pros: I love the baskets! I know some don't like but it keeps a short course challenging. Also love the wooded setting, the variety of drives, hazards and crazy putts and the friendly regulars.
Cons: Once you figure out how to drive through the trees, some holes are a little too easy. Sometimes too many park users blundering blindly through the course.
Other Thoughts: Play this course several times a month. Happy to see the first Ace of '08 huzzah Anti-Chris!

Lake Stevens DGC

5+    2/21/2008   2/25/2008
Review By: JR Stengele
This review was updated on 3/6/2011
Pros:
Lake Stevens DGC is a 19 hole course put nestled underneath massive pines and other native foliage, giving the course a prehistoric feeling. Fairly easy to navigate through, the pin placements are well thought out. Holes for the most part have tight to very tight fairways with only holes 1, 18, and 19 wide open. The designer of the course did a great job incorporating elevation as well when given.

Not much distance for the most part, but very challenging. This is the type of course where it is easy to shoot well under par on a great day and several strokes over the next time. It is a love / hate relationship for most! When it rains, this course is one of the best in the northwest as far as being covered. The course seems to allow water to run off into many of the little bogs which adds to the overall challenge and charm.

Locals are also what makes this course great. Everyone is friendly and welcoming and always willing to help with navigation of the course. Tournaments are well run and a lot of fun. The two main tournaments are Freeze Between the Trees in Jaunuary/February and Aqua Fest in July and are both worth the $ with great payouts.
Cons:
Baskets can be an issue for most, although not for me as much. Although the use of these unique baskets helps to make this course a true par 3, at times the baskets block out discs with a web, or are missing chains all together (making the discs go right on through).
I have always enjoyed this course for its tranquility and uniqueness. The course is usually empty and for experienced players, the course only takes about 45 minutes. Although the baskets are different, they are innovative and fun (at times). I would recommend this course to all who are visiting.