Lake Stevens, WA
Lake Stevens DGC Share
Uploaded By: DGtourist Hole #5 (Taken 11/2008)

< Prev 1 2 3
Needs some TLC

1    8/10/2014   8/13/2014
Review By: FrankWilliams
Pros: Lots of trees and ferns to play around.

The 'bog -1' penalty zones posted on some of the tee signs.

Friendly locals, without which the course would have taken twice as long to play. Thank you!
Cons: Some baskets have (One of the locals told me this was called 'jail') a wall of chains that prevents a disc from getting into the basket from one side or the other.

About half of the tee signs were missing. Some of them you could see the post where they were that had been vandalized.

The only signs from the basket to the next tee were spray-painted on trees, which made the place look trashy.

No public bathrooms.

No map at the beginning to take a picture of.
Other Thoughts: I left wondering how to remove spray-paint from trees.

I was told (by a local) that the custom baskets were designed by a local dentist. That actually explained a lot.

Baskets from outer space!

1    6/17/2014   6/17/2014
Review By: longandwrong
Pros: A fun very wooded course. Large trees and a few swampy areas add to the challenge. First couple of times you/I might need a guide. Locals love to play with you to show their course off. And of course the baskets! Makes course management a must...what side do I want my disc to be on when I'm putting? Not counting the weird baskets the course plays fairly consistent...good technical drive-correct approach-putt=par! Enjoy it even when your grumbling about the baskets :)
Cons: Parking is a problem. Just a few spaces on the street at the start of the course. Sign recommends you park downtown (a few blocks away). Summer play when the school is out parking will be better. No bathrooms, signs to the next hole are hit and miss. AND the baskets are from hell. Locals told me on short putts that are blocked by the chain you slam it into the chain and maybe just maybe it will stay.
Other Thoughts: During school a couple of holes run along side the schools playground. Signs say not to play during school hours, locals say the kids are okay and if by accident you throw over the fence they usually will retrieve your disc. Best advice...don't throw over the fence! It's on the left side when facing the basket.
Because the baskets are so weird I think its fun and a great place to bring a group for some weird action.

Short course

1    9/2/2013   9/2/2013
Review By: ferret_1986
Pros: Good mix of terrain and well laid out.
Cons: The holes are way to short, you can have a bad first throw and be using your putter on the second. The targets are stupid. I understand they are to make the holes more difficult but that only seemed to be the case for me on one hole.
Other Thoughts: If you want to play a short course in the woods this course is for you.

Ver Technical

1    7/26/2013   7/27/2013
Review By: navyjay007
Pros: Lots of space and a couple of holes really let you get distance. Lots of local players that seem to be willing to help. They guided me and my wife a few times and we got through the course and had a good time.
Cons: Some of the holes are hard to find the baskets for due to vandalism of the hole map. You can get turned around easy if you are not sure where you are going.
Other Thoughts: The course could use a little more upkeep and replaceing or fixing the shot maps would be a big help. Also repainting the baskets bottom blue or white would help so you know that you are playing the right line. There are two to choose from. (Blue or White)

1    12/8/2012   12/8/2012
Review By: Ranger Rick
Pros: Variety is the spice of life! Uphill; downhill; over the river, and through the woods. There are holes for everybody!

Egg baskets - I like them (and hated them at times) because they are different and add something that made this course unique!

The Swamp - not so much a swamp; more of a seasonal wetland, but it creeped it's way through the course, ready to rear it's ugly head at any minute. I had to go fishing a couple of times, but it's not so deep or unforgiving that you can't retrieve an errant disc without too much trouble.

Tee signs - great signs overall, though a few have been vandalized. With so many trees and elevation difference, the signs at each tee made it much easier to find the basket!
Cons: Mixed tee boxes - some where concrete pavers (thumbs up) and some were gravel (thumbs down).

No course map, here or onsite.

Painted trees - though they helped immensely to help me find the next tee box, I didn't care for the spray paint on the trees. I understand that it is a necessary evil, but still made the course look a little trashier.

Some baskets were close to each other, and I had to walk up to them to determine which one I was shoot at.
Other Thoughts: I had a really good time! There were plenty of people on the course, and everyone was friendly and courteous. One gentleman offered to play with me to show me around ( I declined, but it was a very nice offer), another group let me play through, all in all, the locals were friendly and helpful!

The course is short, but very technical (which works great for me as I am a newer player, and haven't developed a strong arm yet). I played the whole course with just two discs - a Buzzz, and a Warlock, and the only problems I had were of my own making.

What it lacks in distance, it more than makes up for in the fun department! I plan to make this a regular stop on my way home from work, or when spending some time at the lake nearby

NAD's annoying and fun little brother

5+    2/20/2012   2/22/2012
Review By: b-mart
Pros: Lake Stevens is a very well maintained course with plenty of challenge. It's short enough for an amateur or lower to enjoy, yet challenging enough for better players with more range. The baskets can kill a birdie or par chance, adding a whole new twist to the game that I like (overall). It really makes you think about your putts and sometimes you have to insert a disc through a tiny window that's absolutely impossible to do... I've seen it done though. Being someone who is constantly SAYING that he needs to work on his short game (and not really doing), this is a feature that will slaughter my score. It's nice though, because it does improve my short game, and if it doesn't it makes me go out to an empty field with a basket and work on putting.

There are trees everywhere on this course, which keeps you dry in the winter and keeps you challenged with very tight fairways. The design of the course takes advantage of every inch that they have here. Hole 4 is the only one that feels like overkill, but it's one that will make your month if you hit your birdie line (or so I assume).

Water hazards! Sometimes in the summer the bogs are just soft, damp looking areas, but in the winter it's a true water hazard. Unlike other courses with water (Rainier, Lakewood, Sunnyside), you don't need a Dragon or Wahoo because the bogs are shallow and are criss crossed with logs that you can risk a run across in order to retrieve your disc.

What else? This course makes you use most of the shots in your repertoire. The only thing it doesn't require is a big arm, which (as I've said in other reviews) is a pro for some of us...

It seems like the only way to lose a disc here is to leave it underwater or to have someon walk off with it after you've taken a blind shot.

The 19th hole is a brilliant idea, since you can't play hole 12 if school is in session. Great way to still let us throw 18, or if it's a weekend, summer, or holiday, a great way to add a playoff hole without making us play into the course again. I still say Lakewood needs to do this for anyone who's afraid of hole 9 there.
Cons: The baskets add a whole new twist to the game. On my best day out on the course I was at least five strokes higher than I should have been thanks to the ridiculous chain placement. I call this a con because I would love to be able to say I was five strokes lower that day (which would have made it my all time best score through 18).

The spray paint on the trees is an eyesore. To do that to a park with such natural beauty is just tragic.

It's kind of off the beaten track (which I prefer) and parking is a headache if school is in session (which I don't).

I haven't met the locals, but I HAVE heard of discs walking away when they're blindly thrown. It's never happened to me, but be watchful.

This is a multi-use park and sometimes other users such as cross country teams will appear in the middle of the fairway when you least expect it. Remember the word "fore". It isn't their responsibility to wear bells and let you know they're there, but I guarantee that it will be a con if you hit somebody.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course in general. I love playing it and try to make it a part of my usual rotation. If you have time and enjoy technical courses, make a day of it with this one and Twin Rivers in Arlington. You can always warm up your short game by opening up in Snohomish at Ferguson as well. The baskets really are a pro and a con at the same time, but they certainly make you perfect your putting and your midrange game. The way I see it is that any course that improves aspects of your game is worth playing. There's also a decent selection of discs down at Games Plus if you don't mind a guy who knows more about Magic The Gathering than disc golf hovering over your shoulder while you're browsing them. Nice guy though.

Learn to love:)

1    9/8/2011   9/9/2011
Review By: StrangeOne
Pros: Nice clean course. I really like the park it's in. Challenging.
Cons: I get making it challenging but some of the holes don't seem to have any type of a fairway? You just throw and hope you don't hit a tree. And signs of any type to lead you to the next hole would be nice? Not spray paint on the trees.
Other Thoughts: This was my first time here and the 2nd time in 4 or so years since I've played. So like my title said, I can really see myself loving this course but it will take a bit of playing to get there.

Small Beautiful Course

2-4    8/6/2011   8/19/2011
Review By: Clempson13
Pros: This is a gorgeous evergreen course with a lot of holes located creatively in a small area. I spent half the time I was playing the course taking in the scenery since I'm not from the area. The baskets with blocking chains definitely threw in a different aspect to the game I hadn't seen before and I actually kinda like them; really made the course more technical.
Cons: Downsides to this course would be the short hole lengths and the intersecting/proximity of holes to one another. There were a few holes where the map said the basket was up and the left a bit, look out there and I see three baskets.... That kind of made it challenging. Graffiti on the trees were somewhat helpful, but were really an eye sore.
Other Thoughts: I didn't get to play the course when the "bogs" were full of water, but I can definitely see how these would make the course more complex as I played around/through the dark spots where they usually are. Also take care to avoid the ferns with a wayward disc...it can be pretty hard to locate it in them.

The Ultimate Challenge

1    4/20/2011   5/3/2011
Review By: MrNiceFella
Pros: Very challenging course. Egg basket style pins make it especially challenging. Heavily wooded, good elevation changes, plenty of hazards. Lots of fun!
Cons: All short distance shots. Needs concrete tee pads. Someone spray painted numbers and arrows on trees to direct you from hole to hole. This looks terrible and it is a shame that this person didn't have more sense than this. Some good signs would have prevented this from happening.
Other Thoughts: Water in the bog is very cold! Avoid it as much as possible.

short and sweet

1    3/6/2011   3/6/2011
Review By: Robinhood
This review was updated on 3/10/2011
Pros:
The best and worst of Lake Stevens DGC are the Unique Egg Baskets which will really challenge your putting. Technically Challenging lots of trees, narrow fairways and bog hazards. Good layout, and use of land. Well marked and easy to follow layout.
Cons:
Unique Baskets can be frustrating to putt. Muddy at times. lots of tree damage, some are about chopped down.some missing signage, but blaze markers are on the trees to the next hole. short shots on most hole, I would have liked to see a little more distance.
Well worth the trip, I will be back for sure. It would be nice to see a little more length on the course, but overall very good use of the space.

lots of recent blow down trees, and mud, lots of mud.

< Prev 1 2 3