Sarasota, FL
Lakeview Park Share
Uploaded By: Scott L. Kuhns Hole #11 (Taken 9/2012)

Can't Wait to Go Back!

1    12/26/2011   12/29/2011
Review By: arajski
Pros: Environment - The physical environment of this course is beautiful. Going to each hole (especially the back 9) was gorgeous. Hole 17 is something to stop and marvel at as you through from a peninsula along the bank to the hole. There is a huge lake, large ponds and a winding creek to shoot over as you throw under a canopy of trees. The park was well kept and very relaxing to be at.

Variety - The variety was fantastic. Some drives required my midranges and others my drivers. Some drives were flick and most backhand (for RHBH). Some were open (mainly 1-5) and the rest were very technical.

Upkeep - My Sarasota friends were telling me how they moved the baskets around and they recently add a grass bridge to make walking/throwing easier. They seem to give attention to the maintenance of this park.

Neighborhood - The area of this park (contrasted to Water Tower) was great. I felt safe and didn't think twice about who was around me.

Equipment - There were great concrete pads and up to par (no pun intended) baskets. I didn't get tripped up once on the pad or get frustrated at the quality of the chains.

Expert/Pro/Armature Pads - There are excellent options for all levels of players. The expert pads are very challenging and highly risky. The Pro pads have technical shots and are mildly risky. The Armature pads are safer and quite simple. Great for all types of people.

Facilities - The park had great parking and indoor bathrooms.
Cons: Hazards - The water can be a little nerve racking when you are throwing a new disc. Water is part of the fun but it can also upset you very easily.

Dogs - As I walked to my shot from the pad of 16, there were piles of dog poop. I step in one and was very upset. Also, hole 4 shoots along the dog park and the barking dogs are incredibly distracting.

Wind - The back 9 borders the lake and there can be wind off the lake making your drives less controllable and more likely to drive into the water.

Distance Hole - There wasn't a 450+ hole for you to air your arm out. Most shots were short to medium and very technical.
Other Thoughts: This park was a disc golf course. Some courses are parks with baskets throughout. This was a disc golf course first. I live in Tampa and would gladly travel the hour drive for the course. If you go, bring some crappy discs you don't mind loosing. All in all, the best course in Sarasota.

1    10/9/2011   10/9/2011
Review By: mattdabbs
Pros: When you pull up, hole 1 is all the way the gravel road almost to the dumpster. Come ready for water...it is everywhere. I would enjoy this course far more after having played it a few times. I had to lay up on multiple holes because I couldn't tell where the water was. The one time I let lose I lost a disc on the water as I didn't see it was behind the pin. This course will challenge your game and force you to manage your shots well.

All in all, this is a wonderful course that I am sure the locals love. You can tell a lot of work has gone into this course and it is very well designed. There are multiple routes on many holes which is nice if you are right or left handed.

Hole 18 is a great way to end the round. You either can lay it up for an easy par or risk it all and hopefully get a birdie on what is nearly an island green.
Cons: There were really only 2 problems I can think of. 1 - There are some long walks between holes due to all the water. 2 - I wish there was a little more opportunity to air it out without worrying about water being all over the place. Right when you think you have a chance there is water behind the pin. That is really the only downside to this course that I can think of.
Other Thoughts: I would love to play this course again and gain some confidence to really give it my best. Thanks to all those who put so much work into this course and the DG scene in Sarasota.

Get ready to get wet!

1    6/27/2011   6/27/2011
Review By: prerube
Pros: Multiple tees, Multiple pin positions.
Tons of water to create a lot of challenge.
Seems very well planned to maximize water threats.
narrow piece-mealed concrete tee pads.
Ribbons have been added to the baskets to point the way to the next tee, this made navigation so much easier.
Cons: No tee signs, distance markings.
Extreme chance of disc loss on many holes.
Parking lot is used as OB
Hole 7's far tee had no safe route (but there is always the short tee)
Hole 16 tee looks at basket 17 which is only 80 feet from it's basket, which is tucked over to the right.
stagnant mud smells horrible if have to jump in, becareful we did see a small alligator in the water.
Course appears to be a frequent victim of basket theft. Several baskets did not match, many appeared far newer, some even showed clear signs of aggressive attempts at multiple thefts (basket 16 specifically).
Other Thoughts: This course was a challenge, but if you stay dry you will be handsomely rewarded with tons of duece opportunities.

I spent alot of time in the water retreiving discs for my foursome and we still lost 2 discs.

_________________________________
BRIEF HOLE BY HOLE
Hole 1 starts out using the parking lot as OB and the basket is perched on a small mount with a low ceiling forcing your disc to stay low for a decent ways.
Hole 2 has water hazard on the right which affects lefties during the drive and righties during the putt.
Hole 3 uses the parking lot as OB again on the left 274 feet relatively straight.
Hole 4 features a mando that only affects LHBH players and is only there to keep your discs off the dog park
Hole 5 is 311 feet over a small hill
Hole 6 brings back the water in a deceivingly risky shot. It is a 227 foot hole over a small water hazard, but the trees can easily knock you straight down into the water.
Hole 7 is a more intimidating hole over a larger water hazard with very little opportunity to play it safe.
Hole 8 is basically a repeat of hole 7 going back the other direction.
Hole 9 throws over a creek with enough foliage to create risk.
Hole 10 is a dog leg left, throwing directly at the building and letting it fade to the basket.
Hole 11's tee is the sidewalk behind the building and the basket is infront of a small water hazard.
Hole 12 is a dog leg left with water on both sides.
Hole 13 is a 326 foot shot with a good amount of foliage and water behind the basket.
Hole 14 features lots of water. with the safest area being on the left side.
Hole 15 is a straight shot with a late sharp dog leg left. Water on 3 sides!
Hole 16 looks at basket 17 but it is really a slight right with the basket tucked over by the stone trail.
Hole 17 plays back to the 2 baskets in the opening, but to get there you have to throw down a tunnel of trees. Past the wall of trees there is water on both sides. There is also water behind the basket if you fade right on your drive.
Hole 18 is a short throw over the water, but a short shot will send you into the water infront of the basket.

A few small issues, but a great course nonetheless.

1    3/26/2011   4/14/2011
Review By: AriMaeda
Pros: 1) The water on the course is used well. Most of the holes required you to clear short stretches of water, and two holes had blind shots over the water, which were fun. Disc retrieval is also easy; excluding the water around holes 16-18, the water is shallow and I wasn't afraid to lose a disc.

2) White tees work around most of the water hazards for those not comfortable with them. The tees either avoid the water outright in a few cases or shorten the carry needed.

3) The course put the few elevation changes it has to good use. A few baskets are elevated and a few hills are used to make a few blind shots. The low tree canopy with this made for some fun shots.

4) There are full restroom facilities over by tee #11, and they were quite a lot better maintained than some other park restrooms.
Cons: 1) Tee pads are short and narrow, and the pads for the white tees are simply a thin strip of concrete marked as such. The tees also weren't consistent, with some being longer and wider, and others were oddly placed. One tee in particular (I believe it was tee 3?) had a sharp drop off at the end, making a follow-through awkward.

2) Navigation of the course is pretty poor. When we found hole 1, we teed off in the wrong direction toward 10's basket-luckily one of the locals let us know before we tried to play those lies. Each basket has an arrow tied to it pointing in the direction of the next tee, but it was still a little difficult to find the pad sometimes. The course also doesn't have any tee signs.
Other Thoughts: Lakeview was one of a few courses we had visited that day, and it stood out as my favorite. Playing the course was a blast.

Despite all of the water on the course, the water didn't really feel all that 'hazardous'. I usually hesitate a bit around water, but I didn't have any issues at all. I wasn't avoiding it for financial reasons; I was avoiding it because it would hurt my game.

recent updates!

1    7/20/2010   7/23/2010
Review By: Bmoore
Pros: We've been improving the course at Lakeview Park for the last year+.

First, the county has built a man-made damn and installed a pump that runs 24/7. This has greatly increased the health of the park and the clarity of the water, so discs are much easier to retrieve.

Second, the County hired a private contractor to remove dead and dying trees, which has opened up the course a bit, and made a few of the water holes play easier (safer).

New pin positions have been added to holes #1, #2, #5, #6, #7, #9. We've also added paver bricks behind tee pads to improve the length of tees, as several were too short.

In addition, our club (Sarasota Sky Pilots) continues to trim back the invasive plants that grow into the fairways. We've also added a couple benches.
Cons: Obviously, there is still work to be done at Lakeview Park.

Join us at the end of September for a PDGA C-tier event, the Snake & Lake Partake benefiting the Racing Dog Rescue Project.

Most challenging water course I have ever played.

1    1/4/2010   1/7/2010
Pros: 1) If you came for a challenge with water this is your course. There are many little pockets of water that you need to throw alongside of, over, and even around. They come into play because of trees, baskets tucked precariously over the water, and there are even holes you can overshoot the basket and skip away into the water.

2) Concrete tees on every hole. Alternate tees available on all holes where carries over water are required and either significantly shortening the carry ot altogether removing the carry. This is an awesome feature to help make this course more playable for all people.

3) The rolling hills in this park add to the uniqueness of this park and DG course. They also contribute to the difficulty level because they will cause some odd skips and they will also knock down a low shot and prevent you from sliding up under the basket.

4) Great park for disc golf and the course is completely isolated from all other activities. There is a dog park but it is fenced off from the DG course. So get here and throw your plastic to your hearts content.

5) Big open picnic area is centrally located in the middle of the course. It is accessible from Hole #1 tee, 9 basket, 12 tee, and 14 tee. Plenty of picnic tables and some garbage.

6) Bathrooms are located at the far end of this park near #10 basket and 11 tee. I am not sure if they are normally open or closed but they are there.

7) This course will challenge you with shot shaping also. There are holes that are a simple hyzer, but there are also a few holes that force you to throw an anny. Shots over water will also require both shot shapes, making the course extra difficult.

8) Baskets have #'s on the posts on them and they also have painted or tapes rungs pointing you to the next tee.

9) Risk/reward is really high here. Not only is the course challenging, but the risk of shooting for birdie is high both in chance of lost discs and how it would affect your score if you overshoot or undershoot.
Cons: 1) Course flow was a little confusing to me. I played #1, then #3 then found #4 tee and figured I missed a hole, so I ended up walking backwards looking for #2 tee. I also ended up playing #12 after #9 and then only seeing #13 tee. I decided to play #14, 15, 16, 17, 18 and then I went back up #13 and crossed the bridge. I found #11 basket and saw the tee in the distance so I walked back there and played the hole. From the 11th tee I saw #10 basket but had no idea where the tee was. Finally as I had given up I saw the tee outside of the fenced area next to the garbage dumpster area. I finally played the 10th hole and made a birdie to end my day so the hunt was worth it. These things are issues in my opinion, my suggestion is to print the map of the course from the Sarasota Sky Pilots. On multiple occassions you might throw at the wrong basket as your first time because the basket visible from some tees is not the basket for your hole.

2) Too much risk of losing discs. I like courses wih the challenge of water but there simply seemed to be too many areas where water was easily thrown into. The tightness of this course has also contributed to the high plastic count in the ponds and rivers because it is still very easy to plunk one into a tree and drop into the water.

3) Some of the posts and signs are missing and/or damaged.

4) Parking lot may be a little small to house a bunch of people on a busy day or a tournament. I would guess maybe 30 cars or so could fit in this lot.

5) Not beginner friendly. Even though the short tees make the water carries shorter, there still are plenty of ways for beginner to struggle here. The trees are tight and there is a canopy over most holes.

6) Grounds had some issues in my opinion. There were many trees that were unhealthy and I would see that this is due to the fact that this is virtually a swamp. There also were a few areas under this dense canopy that lacked turf. It would be tough to maintain turf int his tightly canopied area combined with how tight the area is for traffic. This compaction will eventually contribute to muddy fairways.

7) Baskets were old and rusty. They still caught well I suppose but the baskets could use an upgrade. I guess I would rather have directional signs and tee signs over new baskets.
Other Thoughts: This is an awesome course with an awesome design (in terms of challenge and variety). It lacks flow in its design and can be very confusing because of its flow issues and lack or consistancy of signage and tee signs. It was very frustrating and it was aggravated by the fact I had already lost 2 discs on this course to the water. It will challenge you from Hole 1 until you make your final putt on #18. When you factor in the facilities and the maintenance this is simply a slightly above average course. Like I said it is an awesome DG course, it has great holes and always challenges but the flow issues, the tightness of some of the holes and danger issues, and lack of signage leave me feeling a little bitter about this course. I would play it, and from now on I will be sure to keep my Dragon with me. There are 4 or 5 shots where I could execute with a lot more confidence if I knew I wasn't going to lose discs to the murky black water. I love what someone else said about feeling like the Swamp Thing is gonna walk right out of the water with all of your lost discs and ask to play a round. Now thats funny right there, I dont care who you are. I wish I could give this course a better rating because it plays like a better course, just a few things keeping it fomr being a 4 disc course in my opinion, and most of the reasons would be easily resolved.

It was cool for a horticulturist to walk through this park and see the variety of vegetation. Apparently it was an old Botanical Garden and some of the flowers and plants do seem a little out of place for a disc golf course. My wife had some awesome pictures from this course of closeups to the flowers and such.

Can you find the pet cemetary? I found 3 graves on the course, 2 of which were in one location. You should not throw your disc near the pet cemetary with 2 graves but you might be able to throw your disc near the single gravesite. Just a little wierd.

Also I noticed a local guy disc hawking both days I played this course. The first day he had 2 discs in his hand and a retriever, and he "claimed" that he just didnt bring his bag along and was walking his dog. Not sure if this was his facade to throw me from the fact that he was disc hawking, but I noticed him today too after 3 days since I saw him the first time. I wonder if he found my newer Wraith and my beat up Viper!

A Thrilling Play Through a Beautiful Park

2-4    1/2/2010   1/4/2010
Review By: Hypnotik Robot
Pros: I read the reviews on here about this course and wondered what everyone meant by the "old Florida feel" and now I know. This park is absolutely beautiful and it feels like you've stepped into a forgotten land. The water is murky, the trees are thick, and you just feel like Swamp Thing is going to walk out of the water with a bag full of discs to join you in your match. And notice this is all under the pros! I don't mind water hazards because they add to the thrill of the sport, which is good because this park has plenty. The course is absolutely beautiful with all of the vines and waterways as well as the left over flora from the old botanical garden.
Cons: The signage is terrible. The first day I played this course I couldn't even find the first tee. There are some signs at tees noting the distance and hole number but the baskets an be very hard to see. If it weren't for a couple of locals and their mom allowing me to play along with them I'd have been lost all day.

I think out of all 18 holes that there were only 3 with benches at the tees and I only noticed a handful of trash cans throughout the park, which isn't a problem so long as you pack out what you packed in.
Other Thoughts: Yeah, you'll probably lose some discs. By some fluke of the universe I didn't lose a single disc on either of my 2 plays through, but that certainly isn't the norm. One of the locals I played with, lost 2 discs within the first 5 holes. He proved though that you can easily wade in the water and find some new ones though when a couple of holes later he waded in and found 7 discs in under 10 minutes.

I cannot state how much fun this course was though. the scenery and the thrill of the water hazards made for a super fun game. If it's your first time out I recommend waiting for some locals to come along otherwise you may miss a few holes or even throw at the wrong baskets.

Bring your waders

1    12/12/2009   12/15/2009
Review By: cydisc
Pros: -Good balance, variety
-Plenty of obstacles
-Good risk/reward quotient
-Fun for the finesse player
Cons: -Concrete tees very small
-Poor signage
-Poor traffic flow in spots
-Some blind throws along walking path
Other Thoughts: Lakeview Park is a small park that borders a lake on the east end, a dog park on the west end, the parking lot on the south and a street on the north. From what I understand, from researching the course in preparation for my trip, this park is a former botanical garden, supposedly a precursor to Cypress Gardens. You can see elements of this from the variety of tropical flora and a canal that winds through the park.

First impression of the course is that it's plenty of holes for the size of park. Holes are on the short side and are packed fairly tightly into the available land. The short length of the holes is offset greatly by the danger of OB provided by the lake and canal (water comes into play on 12 holes). Another impression is that finding your way around will require knowledge of the course or a good map. There are a couple of places where the next tee is not readily apparent and you might have to walk past several tees to get to the correct one (9 to 10 is an example). Also, when you stand on #16's tee, you will be tempted to play #17's basket as that is the one you can see. Tee signage is no help as most of it contains only the hole # and the distance, if there is signage at all.

Safety can be an issue with people walking their dogs along the paths, sometimes blindly. The course shares the park with a dog park, so I imagine this is a common occurence.

Overall, the course has a lot of liabilities. However, it is extremely enjoyable to play as the holes themselves are well designed in balance and variety. The water provides great risk and excitement, requiring finesse to score well (and to keep from losing your plastic).

Great course, better club

2-4    10/31/2009   11/1/2009
Review By: DOGvsRAPTOR
This review was updated on 12/1/2009
Pros: As stated in other reviews this course is not a long range bomber course, it is a tricky tech course with plenty of lines and shot options for everyhole. With that being said bring your A game when throwing your putters and midranges as accuracy is crucial to threading through the many ponds and trees throughout the course. This park is gorgeous with great trees, ponds, and wildlife. I've been in the area to see my grandfather and played a triples round with the www.SarasotaSkyPilots.org club members and had a great time hanging out and seeing how they play their own course.
Cons: Some of the teepads are short and worn down, but I found ways to work around this. Holes 16-18 are a little tight, but as long as you are paying attention it should not be an issue.
Other Thoughts: I can't say enough good things about the the people from www.SarasotaSkyPilots.org and how they run their club. All around good people, fun to play with, and some really good players. If you are looking to air out some big shots then roll over to North Water Tower, but for pure beauty I don't think you'll find too many courses as nice as Lakeview. Go throw and see for yourself.

Old Florida at it's Finest!

5+    5/20/2009   5/31/2009
Review By: Roller Coasters
Pros: Wonderful course on the site of the old Sunshine Springs and Gardens. A botanical gardens park with swan boat rides on a canal that winds through the park and a spectacular ski show on Sarasota Bay that was open from 1955 to 1959. The gardens are mostly gone, but the canals, the trees and the Old Florida feel remain. There are no long holes, only 5 holes are longer than 300 feet and the longest is 352. It is instead a technical challenge and a severe mental challenge to not let the water get into your head. The course ends, by heading out on a peninsula that is surrounded by Sarasota Bay. There are some great views and two challenging finishing holes - 16 and 18.
Cons: The tee pads are very short thoughout the park. The signage is very poor and the baskets are not marked.
Other Thoughts: Start off with lots of old growth oak trees, complete with plenty of hanging moss. Add in a peninsula on Sarasota Bay that was once home to a great ski show. Next, add a meandering canal that served as a prototype for Cypress Gardens and you have one of the most beautiful parks and disc golf courses in Florida. This course has a feel unlike any other other in Florida. It also has a very cool dog park at one end of the course. There is a lot of water here, it comes into play on 14 of 18 holes. On most holes, it is more a mental than an actual physical challenge. The water that you need to clear is usually pretty close to the tee. The exception to this is hole 18. It is 262 feet but you have to cross water to get to the hole on another small peninsula. The crossing is about 240 feet, and the landing area isn't huge. For most players, it is a definite lay-up hole. For your first time, you should print out the course map. If you forget it, just remember that the tee for hole 10 is actually across the entrance road, next to the dumpsters. If you follow that painted basket clue for the next tee, you will end up playing hole #12 instead of 10. Make sure you take a little walk and cross over the road for tee pad 10. That is really the only hard tee to find and the only place that the course doesn't flow well.

This course is only 5 minutes off I-75. Do yourself a favor and add this course to your wish list and take the time to get a taste of Old Florida. It is definitely one of my favorite courses and is a wonderful round spent going back in time.