Webster, NY
North Ponds DGC Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #3 (Taken 8/2013)
-- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #3 Red Tee

I'm going to need more than baskets

1    9/1/2014   9/1/2014
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: The course plays around three or four lakes or ponds and makes pretty good use of the space.

I liked hole 1 with its 250' water carry. Hole 5 is the only wooded hole and is a pretty solid tunnel shot. Hole 7 has a nice little peninsula for the green, and the trees on the course are used well.

Cons: There are no tee pads. There were concrete pads (not originally built as tee pads) that appear to function as the tee pads for holes 2-4. After that, you're on your own. Hole 5 still had some flags, but 6-9 did not. I'm really not a fan of "choose your own adventure" style disc golf. I don't want to pick any random place to tee off.

I am generally a fan of water when it's used well, but hole 4 here is kind of odd for anyone who isn't an advanced player. It is a long water carry (I'd guess around 300 feet) with only a small land bridge as a landing zone if you don't make it across. Good water holes usually have a bailout area that is safer but leaves you with a worse approach. There is basically no bailout here. I don't think anyone could consistently land on the land bridge here.

Holes 6 and 9 look like they will be wide open shots, regardless of where the tees end up.
Other Thoughts: The Rochester area has a storied disc golf past, and there is a really solid set of courses in the area considering the population. Given that, it's strange to have a course like this that seems geared toward advanced players but lacks the tee pads that any advanced player would want to have. I'm guessing they are in the works, but temporary natural tee pads (or rubber pads) along with stakes in the ground are not a huge ask.

Eventually this will be a course that isn't for everyone (which is all right), but right now I'd say it really isn't a great option for anyone. Until there is some semblance of tee pads, there are plenty of other courses to explore in the Rochester area.

Where do you tee off?

1    8/23/2014   8/23/2014
Review By: grotto
Pros: Looks like it would be an interesting course once it's actually if ever set up correctly.
Cons: No tees, no map, no hole markers. I have no idea where I was going so I just walked around and found the baskets but had no idea what the distances were or where to tee off.
Other Thoughts: I guess it's new. ext time I'm in the area I'll check and see if it's a complete course.

Unfinished course

1    8/9/2014   8/9/2014
Review By: prerube
Pros: Lots of risky vs. reward opportunities.

Good looking course with plenty of water hazards

9 Discatcher baskets in excellent shape.
Cons: No tee pads, tee markers, or tee signs. There are simply no tees. You can not play this course without a guide.

very high risk of disc loss mostly due to water, but some chance of loss on in foliage . The very first hole starts with 250+ ft. water carry. Hole 4 has a very narrow strip with water on both sides. This course can be extremely frustrating for newer players.

Hole 8 played parallel with a busy road and walking path making it a very hazardous hole. People were fishing on 3 of the 9 holes with in feet of the basket or fairway. Several times we had to stop playing to allow walkers to go by.
Other Thoughts: This course is a nice finesse course, but it DESPERATELY needs set tees to be taken seriously.

Its a fun change from other Rochester courses, but it could get very expensive playing here frequently.

A Quick 9

5+    10/17/2013   10/24/2013
Review By: timg
Pros: North Ponds is a solid 9 hole course. It plays quickly but that isn't a reflection on the length of the holes which in many cases will warrant a driver. Two tees per hole as well which is particularly nice on hole #1 where the shorter tee does a good job of removing the threat of that first pond if you don't think you can make the carry from the long tee.

The course also does a good job of staying away from the walking paths with only two holes where you need to exercise some caution when throwing.

All the holes offer some sort of challenge as well whether it's water, length, trees, elevation or some mix of the four. Did someone say water? There is a lot of water in play on this course, which I happen to like (unless my disc goes in!).

The park is also very well maintained and quite scenic. In addition, there is a lot of foot traffic around the ponds that doesn't interfere with the course but is great exposure for the sport.
Cons: As mentioned in the pros, the walking path is a concern on a couple of holes. The tees also leave something to be desired. Some play off preexisting concrete areas that used to have picnic tables on them but a majority are natural and can be difficult to find if the course has been mowed recently since they are marked by painted lines in the grass. The course is still fairly new so I imagine the tee situation will improve with time.

Also, since the course is still fairly new so people will sometimes be meandering on the first 3 or 4 holes as they aren't all aware of the course just yet. I've played the course many times since it's gone in and have only noticed it a handful of times but it is something to be aware of.
Other Thoughts: They really throw you to the lions on the first three holes here, the first being a ~300ft water carry from the long tee, the second with a pond that extends down the right side of the entire fairway and the third hole which has you throwing another decent length water carry although in the latter case you can land on a small land bridge between the two ponds if you can't make the carry.

Needless to say, all the risk makes for an exciting and interesting round for the experienced player but not so much for beginners or those new to the sport. I know for a fact that many discs have been lost at NP and I'm sure many more will be lost. I can see a new player easily losing a couple of discs and going home dissuaded or upset. So if you're very new to the game or don't have a lot of control when you throw, I'd pass on this course for the time being... or just throw a bunch of stuff that you don't care that much about.

Overall, I'd make an effort to play a round at this course if you're passing through the area, which is something I can't say about too many 9 hole courses out there.

1    10/19/2013   10/19/2013
Review By: jkdisc
Pros: North Ponds was a bigger course than I expected when I looked over the course map. The water comes into play on most of the holes. The park is clean and well maintained. The baskets are brand new. The course has a nice flow. The holes are mostly open with sporadic trees and those ponds being the biggest concern.
The course is still new so the tee areas are just spray paint with a little flag but I imagine that will change with more time.

Other Pros:
- 2 tees per hole
- scenic ponds
- weeping willows guarding baskets
- elevation used
Cons: I do enjoy water holes and this course has plenty of them but it does increase the chances of losing a disc. A walking path can come into play but paying a little caution will do just fine. Natural tees are fine but I hope the get marked better. With the course being so new, I expect improvements aren't far away.
Other Thoughts: #4 was my favorite hole, if you can't make the distance across the water then you can try to land your shot on a small strip of land between the ponds. This is the best 9 hole course I've played so far. I was pleasantly surprised with this course.

A beautiful, yet tricky 9 holes

1    9/1/2013   9/1/2013
Review By: Schmankster
Pros: -Nicely woven into North Ponds park. Blends in perfectly with the walking track, exercise stations, bathrooms, and parking.
-The park was beautiful! Grass was well maintained. Very little litter!
-A tough par 27 with a variety of holes requiring a wide array of shots/discs. As a lefty, I had a few tough shots. I could see it being equally as challenging for a righty.
-Plenty of benches.

Cons: -The noise from 104. It's not too bad, but is a constant reminder there is a highway there.
-Tee pads (natural) are not well marked. They are marked with a small orange flag and spray paint on grass. I realize this is a brand new course. Hopefully they get some sort of permanent signage.
Other Thoughts: -This review is based on an amateurs point of view. I have been playing since July of 2012.

-#1 barely made it across the pond. Saw a few others go into the water
-#2 I see that tree on the left of the teepad being destroyed soon! Tight, slightly wooded fairway and an elevated basket here
-#3 Trees on the left (yay!) and water on the right (yay!). Tight fairway
-#4 2 of the ponds come into play here. Be careful of walkers/joggers
-#5 Tight wooded start with a nice wide open finish. A nice tomahawk opportunity from the tee
-#6 Wide open with the basket on top of a nice sized hill
-#7 Trees on the left, water and reeds on the right. Another tight fairway. I lost a disc there. If you go in the water, forget about it! Pond scum and reeds make it impossible to see anything
-#8 Easier, as long as you don't flub it into the pond
-#9 Beautiful, wide open finisher.