Waxahachie, TX
Brown-Singleton Park Share
Uploaded By: JeremyKShort Hole #10 (Taken 9/2013)

the good, the bad and the ugly

1    4/6/2016   4/6/2016
Review By: Pizza God
Pros: Cement Tee boxes, several with a larger crushed granite area around it.
Decent signs for all the holes, even has alts mapped out.
Good direction signs in the middle of the course, you would be lost without them.
This course does have a very good mix of holes and shots.
Porty potty next to the parking lot.
Cons: Parking lot is small, very small
Holes 2 and 3 are in a bad drainage area. They mowed this week and have built some ditches to help drain the course.
Some of the holes like 8 and 15,16 were to get from one place to another. These are poor holes with little to no trees.
Other Thoughts: First course I can ever remember seeing a direction sign off the highway. "Disc Golf Course --------->"
I was lucky that no one else was using the park, there are very few parking spots.
As far as the course,
Hole 1 is a killer shot with nicely mowed grass and a lot of trees in the way
Then you get to play holes 2 and 3 which are in an area that does not drain well, it was still a little muddy today. These are basic rough holes with not much to them.
Then you cross the creek and play 6,7,8. Nice set of holes. Not hard by any means, but compared to 2&3, I was excited to play these holes.
4 is a longer hole down a clean fairway.
5 throws across the pond behind a tree. Don't overthrow the hole or you are in the creek
6 is just a simple shorter hyzer, however it is about 10 ft off the creek bank.
Now cross back across the creek and READ the direction sign to 7, you can't see it because it is behind some brush.
7 is a filler hold, 400 feet dogleg to the right.
8 is the worst boring hole on the course. It is on the edge of a small hill, other than that, nothing between you and the basket.
9 has a few tree's right in front of you to make you drive 20 ft. But is a basic easy hole.
Now comes the best part of the course in my opinion.
#10 is short, but is a nice tight to the right fairway.
#11 longer than 10 and even tighter fairway, way way to the left. This freaking hole ate my lunch, I took a 5 on a 220 ft hole because I hit trees on my first 3 shots.
#12 Nice straight tunnel shot to the alternate parking lot that was empty. If I played here more, I would find a way to park at this lot.
#13 basic defined simple hyzer fairway.
#14 tight turnover shot with lots of rough
Then they need to get you back to hole 1 so
#15 designed to be a big turnover shot thanks to a tree in front of the tee box, your suppose to play the sidewalk and across as OB, but you know rec players never do that.
#16, long open field fairway with the basket out of sight behind some rough.
#17 in the alt position, pretty much a straight shot, but you don't want to throw it too far right (like I did) and hit the trees.
now a long walk to 18 tee box. Seriously, you could have put another hole here.
18 is a good tunnel shot with rough on the left and some trees blocking a big hyzer shot. Turn this one over and you are in an open area with some rough between you and the basket.

In general, this would be a better course if they can get it mowed more often and clear out some of the rough areas.

Awesome Variety of Holes

5+    8/25/2015   8/27/2015
Review By: kcrain7
This review was updated on 7/1/2016
Pros: This is my home course. I've played it at least 100 times, but thanks to changing basket locations, wind conditions and seasonal challenges, every round is different and fun.

Good mix of trees and open. From short holes to long bombers. Back 9 opens up a bit more than the front.
Cons: Wish the parking lot was a little bigger.

Good Fun Course

1    6/12/2014   6/12/2014
Review By: jason.soule
Pros: - Variety of shot lengths
- Mix of open and wooded holes
- Great signage
- Well maintained
Cons: - Very soggy
- #11 is a luck shot...clear a few front trees to give an actual line.
- Alot of long holes had very low ceilings off the tee pad ( I don't prefer this...but it is the discretion of the course designer)
Other Thoughts: Overall it is a quality course worth playing if you are in the area.

better than i expected but still just okay

1    4/27/2014   5/7/2014
Review By: dreadlock86
This review was updated on 2/21/2015
Pros: -textured concrete pads
-new discatchers
-nice signs, next tee signs
-variety of shots, distances, terrain
-port-a-john next to the parking lot
-playground and soccer fields, not in play
Cons: -many wide open holes
-a large section of the course looks like it is in a flood plain
-a few areas not as well utilized as possible
-very small parking lot
Other Thoughts: This course mostly makes the best use of what little is available. I really liked the first hole, a simple hyzer through a thicket of trees right next to the road. The trees set a cool atmosphere for the start of the course. However, upon walking up to hole 2 my excitement evaporated. I could see the large flood plain ahead with tall grass and what looked like many holes crossing this same area. I figured the rest of the course would be like this but I was pleasantly surprised but some of the variety ahead.

Holes 2 and 3 play in the flood plain (with too narrow a strip of grass mowed for a fairway, IMO) but then you move to another section of the park across the creek for holes 4-6. This a good change of pace but I thought these holes should have been rearranged. The tee area on hole 4 is actually a perfect area for a green: slightly elevated from the field ahead, protected by several well-placed trees. Instead it is an easy tee shot into a wide open field. Hole 5 is a really cool shot over a pond to a basket behind a wall of trees that you can approach from the left or right; a highlight of the course. Hole 7 puts you back into the flood plain.

The back area of the course from holes 10-14 goes through a wooded area with tight lanes. It is a good compliment to the mostly open areas. I thought there was not quite enough of a lane on hole 11's tee shot. The last few holes are filler, as others have said, to get you back to the front of the park.

I like some of the holes here but overall there is just too much filler. Almost half the holes are almost completely wide open. There are a few good technical holes to change things up but I'd love to see parts of the course redesigned at some point. It would be great to have alternate pins and pads here too. Without another course for miles, it would increase the replay value for the locals and sweeten the deal for metroplex golfers thinking about coming down to check out the course.

**Like this review? Hate it? Message me and let me know why! I want to make them better!**

1    2/21/2014   2/23/2014
Review By: garrettfreberg
Pros: Well maintained.
Great signs to find your way around.
Some excellent shots over water and across streams. Baskets and concrete tees are all in great shape. Garbage cans scattered around which make it nice to keep the course clean. Loved hole 5 and 7.
Cons: not sure about hole 9 or was it 10 with a short ceiling and a couple of baskets to choose from.
What I mean is it looks like from the T that you want to throw straight at to the right, but once you get out from under the canopy of trees, you see the basket is actually on the left. Last few holes seemed like an after thought to get you back to the parking lot, but I understand the designers traversed the whole park and you have to get back to where you parked

Nice to finally see a course down south

5+    9/21/2013   9/26/2013
Review By: NORML
Pros: This is a great course. I had my doubts when I heard the park it was going to be in, but the designers did a great job. I have never played a new course that was so well manicured. Concrete boxes, tee signs, easy to navigate and nice visible lines. There are plenty of Ace runs, but also a few bomber holes.
Cons: Cant say to many bad things about this course. It has a good mix of longer and shorter holes, as well as a good mix of technical and more open holes. Great for beginners or serious player. The 1 con I can think of is the park and soccer fields. There was already a problem with people parking on the fairways and right on the Tee-boxes when there was soccer games going on.
Other Thoughts: Weekly Mini's every Saturday at 10AM. Meet by the practice basket by 9:45. Amateur and Pro divisions. I look forward to playing some PDGA tournaments on this course!

Cut it down to a 15, and I'd like it a lot.

1    9/15/2013   9/16/2013
Review By: 1TallTXn
Pros: Nice baskets
Well groomed fairways
Mix of long/open and short/technical holes.
Nice tee pads
Cons: Roughs are very rough.
Lots of poison ivy in the rough.
Several holes are a challenge to find the tee
Several holes (#16 mostly) the tee sign and the basket don't really line up.
Several holes need a bit more trimming. Works as is, but requires VERY specific shots to make it work.
Other Thoughts: Over all, it's a nice course. I really enjoyed through the first 14. After that they're just open filler holes.

Several of the holes are very tight and technical <200ft. It's almost as much luck getting through the trees as it is skill. I enjoy those types of holes, but this was a bit much.

For me, it's a 45min drive to this course. It's nice, but I doubt I'll be playing it often.

Nice Course

1    9/15/2013   9/15/2013
Review By: JeremyKShort
Pros: Nice new baskets, tee pads and signs. Has a number of shorter technical holes, with a few longer holes mixed in. Doesn't seem to favor BH or FH lines. Makes very good use of the trees that are there, also puts a creek into play on several holes, and a nice water carry over a pond on 5. While many of the holes have you near the edge of the park property, you are never in serious danger of throwing into private property. There also doesn't seem to be any throwing over playgrounds, sports fields and the like.
Cons: The course starts of very well, but doesn't finish strong. They seem to have run out of interesting property holes at number 15, the last four are just long open holes that get you back to the parking lot.

Loved the front 9.

1    9/15/2013   9/15/2013
Review By: DiscFifty
Pros: Brand new course with excellent signs and concrete tees on each hole. Fairways are all well taken care of. Course navigation was fairly easy. The front 9 was fun and a pleasure to play.
Cons: The rough...is...very rough. Definitely some major disc eating potential on several holes. One of the guys we played with was also attacked by bees so watch out! While the front 9 was a treat, the back 9 could use a few trees to break up some of the scenic boredom.
Other Thoughts: The entire course "looks" great, just a really good looking disc golf experience. I think it's a good course to introduce new players to the game. I think more experienced players will easily come in well under par. Let's hope they plant some more trees for the back 9! :)

If the course was just 9 holes, I would have gave it a 4. The back 9 brought the rating down due to it being a bit bland.

Finally Some Banging in Waxahachie

1    9/5/2013   9/5/2013
Review By: FallenOak
This review was updated on 9/6/2013
Pros: You know, since they closed the Super Collider and all.

So in my quest to play all the courses in the Metroplex, I noticed a new course down in Waxahachie and thought "Dang, I'm never going to finish if they keep adding courses on the outskirts of DFW", but after playing Brown Singleton, I realized if all the new courses are like it, it will be a problem worth having.

A well balanced course of rhbh, rhfh, long, short, open, and tight, this course will challenge most skill levels while being fun for all. Any negatives are mostly personal preference.

When I arrived, a truck with a trailer full of baskets pulled in right behind me. That's right, I played the whole course, except 18, with the baskets laying on their sides waiting for the city workers to put them in their sleeves. A neat experience to watch the course come up around me. All the pads were poured and have excellent grip, although some were a smidgen short for my liking. This course will have excellent signage, not just tee signs, but also directional.

Almost all the holes demand either pinpoint accuracy, deciding whether to "go for it" or lay up or advanced shot shaping. Most rhbh hyzer shots are challenged from the tee pads. The course is littered with risk/reward and a lot of the risk isn't always obvious.
My personal favorites are:

5: basically an island green with the pond in front and the creek winding behind the basket

9: I tacoed the same disc twice about 7 feet off the tee. When I finally got it out on my third try, it skipped down a slight slope right into the creek.

You could put "lack of elevation" as a con, except the course designer used the slightest of elevation changes to their maximum effect.
Cons: My only complaints are 12 and 16, you have throw across sidewalks. I played early on a weekday and I saw no one else using the park, but as a rule, I generally don't care for this. Also, some of the rough is FILLED with "beggars lice", those multitudes of tiny burrs. By no means does this course require long pants, but if you end up in a patch of this stuff, you'll be picking them off the rest of the round and probably still when you get home.
Other Thoughts: This course is a great addition to the region, well, worth the trip from anywhere in the area. I spoke with a few members of the city staff, and they all seemed excited and vested in the course. There is a "grand opening" Saturday September 7th from 9a to noon and I think the course and the city deserve a good turnout from local golfers. Check out downtown Waxahachie when your done playing, the French burger at College Street Pub is excellent.

I would give this a 3.75 rating, but gave the course the benefit and rounded up.