Waxahachie, TX
Brown-Singleton Park Share
Uploaded By: JeremyKShort Hole #3 (Taken 9/2013)

Good Fun Course

1    6/12/2014   6/12/2014
Review By: jason.soule
Pros: - Variety of shot lengths
- Mix of open and wooded holes
- Great signage
- Well maintained
Cons: - Very soggy
- #11 is a luck shot...clear a few front trees to give an actual line.
- Alot of long holes had very low ceilings off the tee pad ( I don't prefer this...but it is the discretion of the course designer)
Other Thoughts: Overall it is a quality course worth playing if you are in the area.

better than i expected but still just okay

1    4/27/2014   5/7/2014
Review By: dreadlock86
Pros: -textured concrete pads
-new discatchers
-nice signs, next tee signs
-variety of shots, distances, terrain
-port-a-john next to the parking lot
-playground and soccer fields, not in play
Cons: -many wide open holes
-a large section of the course looks like it is in a flood plain
-a few areas not as well utilized as possible
-very small parking lot
Other Thoughts: This course mostly makes the best use of what little is available. I really liked the first hole, a simple hyzer through a thicket of trees right next to the road. The trees set a cool atmosphere for the start of the course. However, upon walking up to hole 2 my excitement evaporated. I could see the large flood plain ahead with tall grass and what looked like many holes crossing this same area. I figured the rest of the course would be like this but I was pleasantly surprised but some of the variety ahead.

Holes 2 and 3 play in the flood plain (with too narrow a strip of grass mowed for a fairway, IMO) but then you move to another section of the park across the creek for holes 4-6. This a good change of pace but I thought these holes should have been rearranged. The tee area on hole 4 is actually a perfect area for a green: slightly elevated from the field ahead, protected by several well-placed trees. Instead it is an easy tee shot into a wide open field. Hole 5 is a really cool shot over a pond to a basket behind a wall of trees that you can approach from the left or right; a highlight of the course. Hole 7 puts you back into the flood plain.

The back area of the course from holes 10-14 goes through a wooded area with tight lanes. It is a good compliment to the mostly open areas. I thought there was not quite enough of a lane on hole 11's tee shot. The last few holes are filler, as others have said, to get you back to the front of the park.

I like some of the holes here but overall there is just too much filler. Almost half the holes are almost completely wide open. There are a few good technical holes to change things up but I'd love to see parts of the course redesigned at some point. It would be great to have alternate pins and pads here too. Without another course for miles, it would increase the replay value for the locals and sweeten the deal for metroplex golfers looking to spend the day somewhere.

I'm torn on how to rate this course because it is a 2.75 to me. I'm rounding up to 3.0 since it's better than most of the 2.5's I've played.

**Like this review? Hate it? Message me and let me know why! I want to make them better!**

1    2/21/2014   2/23/2014
Review By: garrettfreberg
Pros: Well maintained.
Great signs to find your way around.
Some excellent shots over water and across streams. Baskets and concrete tees are all in great shape. Garbage cans scattered around which make it nice to keep the course clean. Loved hole 5 and 7.
Cons: not sure about hole 9 or was it 10 with a short ceiling and a couple of baskets to choose from.
What I mean is it looks like from the T that you want to throw straight at to the right, but once you get out from under the canopy of trees, you see the basket is actually on the left. Last few holes seemed like an after thought to get you back to the parking lot, but I understand the designers traversed the whole park and you have to get back to where you parked

Nice to finally see a course down south

5+    9/21/2013   9/26/2013
Review By: NORML
Pros: This is a great course. I had my doubts when I heard the park it was going to be in, but the designers did a great job. I have never played a new course that was so well manicured. Concrete boxes, tee signs, easy to navigate and nice visible lines. There are plenty of Ace runs, but also a few bomber holes.
Cons: Cant say to many bad things about this course. It has a good mix of longer and shorter holes, as well as a good mix of technical and more open holes. Great for beginners or serious player. The 1 con I can think of is the park and soccer fields. There was already a problem with people parking on the fairways and right on the Tee-boxes when there was soccer games going on.
Other Thoughts: Weekly Mini's every Saturday at 10AM. Meet by the practice basket by 9:45. Amateur and Pro divisions. I look forward to playing some PDGA tournaments on this course!

Cut it down to a 15, and I'd like it a lot.

1    9/15/2013   9/16/2013
Review By: 1TallTXn
Pros: Nice baskets
Well groomed fairways
Mix of long/open and short/technical holes.
Nice tee pads
Cons: Roughs are very rough.
Lots of poison ivy in the rough.
Several holes are a challenge to find the tee
Several holes (#16 mostly) the tee sign and the basket don't really line up.
Several holes need a bit more trimming. Works as is, but requires VERY specific shots to make it work.
Other Thoughts: Over all, it's a nice course. I really enjoyed through the first 14. After that they're just open filler holes.

Several of the holes are very tight and technical <200ft. It's almost as much luck getting through the trees as it is skill. I enjoy those types of holes, but this was a bit much.

For me, it's a 45min drive to this course. It's nice, but I doubt I'll be playing it often.

Nice Course

1    9/15/2013   9/15/2013
Review By: JeremyKShort
Pros: Nice new baskets, tee pads and signs. Has a number of shorter technical holes, with a few longer holes mixed in. Doesn't seem to favor BH or FH lines. Makes very good use of the trees that are there, also puts a creek into play on several holes, and a nice water carry over a pond on 5. While many of the holes have you near the edge of the park property, you are never in serious danger of throwing into private property. There also doesn't seem to be any throwing over playgrounds, sports fields and the like.
Cons: The course starts of very well, but doesn't finish strong. They seem to have run out of interesting property holes at number 15, the last four are just long open holes that get you back to the parking lot.

Loved the front 9.

1    9/15/2013   9/15/2013
Review By: DiscFifty
Pros: Brand new course with excellent signs and concrete tees on each hole. Fairways are all well taken care of. Course navigation was fairly easy. The front 9 was fun and a pleasure to play.
Cons: The rough...is...very rough. Definitely some major disc eating potential on several holes. One of the guys we played with was also attacked by bees so watch out! While the front 9 was a treat, the back 9 could use a few trees to break up some of the scenic boredom.
Other Thoughts: The entire course "looks" great, just a really good looking disc golf experience. I think it's a good course to introduce new players to the game. I think more experienced players will easily come in well under par. Let's hope they plant some more trees for the back 9! :)

If the course was just 9 holes, I would have gave it a 4. The back 9 brought the rating down due to it being a bit bland.

Finally Some Banging in Waxahachie

1    9/5/2013   9/5/2013
Review By: FallenOak
This review was updated on 9/6/2013
Pros: You know, since they closed the Super Collider and all.

So in my quest to play all the courses in the Metroplex, I noticed a new course down in Waxahachie and thought "Dang, I'm never going to finish if they keep adding courses on the outskirts of DFW", but after playing Brown Singleton, I realized if all the new courses are like it, it will be a problem worth having.

A well balanced course of rhbh, rhfh, long, short, open, and tight, this course will challenge most skill levels while being fun for all. Any negatives are mostly personal preference.

When I arrived, a truck with a trailer full of baskets pulled in right behind me. That's right, I played the whole course, except 18, with the baskets laying on their sides waiting for the city workers to put them in their sleeves. A neat experience to watch the course come up around me. All the pads were poured and have excellent grip, although some were a smidgen short for my liking. This course will have excellent signage, not just tee signs, but also directional.

Almost all the holes demand either pinpoint accuracy, deciding whether to "go for it" or lay up or advanced shot shaping. Most rhbh hyzer shots are challenged from the tee pads. The course is littered with risk/reward and a lot of the risk isn't always obvious.
My personal favorites are:

5: basically an island green with the pond in front and the creek winding behind the basket

9: I tacoed the same disc twice about 7 feet off the tee. When I finally got it out on my third try, it skipped down a slight slope right into the creek.

You could put "lack of elevation" as a con, except the course designer used the slightest of elevation changes to their maximum effect.
Cons: My only complaints are 12 and 16, you have throw across sidewalks. I played early on a weekday and I saw no one else using the park, but as a rule, I generally don't care for this. Also, some of the rough is FILLED with "beggars lice", those multitudes of tiny burrs. By no means does this course require long pants, but if you end up in a patch of this stuff, you'll be picking them off the rest of the round and probably still when you get home.
Other Thoughts: This course is a great addition to the region, well, worth the trip from anywhere in the area. I spoke with a few members of the city staff, and they all seemed excited and vested in the course. There is a "grand opening" Saturday September 7th from 9a to noon and I think the course and the city deserve a good turnout from local golfers. Check out downtown Waxahachie when your done playing, the French burger at College Street Pub is excellent.

I would give this a 3.75 rating, but gave the course the benefit and rounded up.