Burlington, NC
Springwood Players' Course Share
Uploaded By: BrotherDave Hole #13 (Taken 1/2014)
Hole #13 White Tee

Mental Toughness Required

2-4    3/15/2014   4/15/2014
Review By: Ryan P.
Pros: -The park is in a very nice area
-The course is different than most courses in the Greensboro/Burlington area (it is similar to the long positions at Cedarock, but not as open).
-There are a variety of shots you will need.
-The designers thought out the holes, and there are a variety of ways to play many holes.
-Nice park in a nice area
Cons: -Requires waiting on/watching out for others on some holes (4 and 13 come to mind)
-Drainage issues on some holes (the rough on 8-13 and parts of the fairway on each of those holes)
-OB and mandos are unclear. I realize they are for safety, and I usually dislike any OB/Mandos. I like these boundaries, but they should be clearer on the hole signs. I assume they would be marked for a tourney.
Other Thoughts: -Not a course for beginners (this is neither a pro nor a con. However, if a beginner plays this course it will probably turn them off from disc golf or they will hurt someone and turn that person off from disc golf).
-I asked a lady what she thought about disc golf in the park, and she said that everyone has to share any public park, this one included.
-This course demands accuracy. If you don't throw accurate shots, you'll lose a disc (like me), end up OB, or get in the way of others. If you cannot throw accurate shots, or if you choose not to throw accurate shots, this isn't a course for you.
-If you're mentally prepared to throw shorter shots for the sake of accuracy, then come play the course.

Soccer Moms love Disc Golf

5+    3/5/2014   3/5/2014
Review By: 7771
Pros: -Championship lay out.
-Par ranges from a 2 to a 6
-Good workout from walking
-Cement pads and great tee signs
Cons: -Championship lay out unplayable most of the year.
-Just cus you call the short holes a par 2 or a long hole a par 6 doesnt change how people score on them
- lots and lots and lots of walking
-some tee pads seem to be pointed slightly off direction
-some holes are repeats back to back and are virtually the same holes 9 and 10 and holes 16 and 17
-Throwing booming shots into, at and around large groups of other park users
Other Thoughts: If you ever wanted to play a championship style course and have no consideration what so ever for the safety of the other park users look no further.

Not a good fit for the area

5+    11/12/2013   11/12/2013
Review By: nfs1989
Pros: I met with the designers when they were pouring the concrete and I overheard all of the good things that went into the idea of this course. A lot of good players/veterans of the sport did a lot of work here with the city to a get this course set in. The intensions of everyone involved were awesome and they told me they really want to make this a place where an event like Worlds would be held. The tees are beautiful, the score cards are amazing and most of the holes are definitely fun; if you want to know which ones then read other reviews. There is no point on beating the nail on the head here; we all know which holes are fun and which ones aren't.
Cons: Cons….haha it's obvious. It's so obvious that my jaw drops every time I'm reminded of the skilled players who came out here to verify the layout. How many people do you think can throw 400-500ft, dodge the abundant amount of mandos and OB's then drop the disc on a 10ft wide fair way all while not hitting any of the pedestrians? I like courses that add variety but the 1000ft long holes followed by short par 2's will hypothetically cause back up if there ever was a tournament on this course. Hole 18 still blows my mind, I understand the concept of placement but if I have to get into my putting stance on the tee so I can place it for my second shot…that's terrible.
Other Thoughts: I'm a power thrower and when I first heard about the distances of these holes I was excited. Let me also say, I've never left a review on this site until I played this course. To me this course was one of the biggest let downs to play and I fear for the damage it WILL cause to the sport of disc golf, specifically in the Burlington NC area. Recently disc golfers have left a very sour taste in Burlington's parks and rec department which has already cost us an amazing temp course at Cedarrock park. In a few more months, especially the next little league soccer season, you can expect a flurry of complaints from all the soccer moms out there. The extremely difficult and powerful throws right over or at children will end in injuries and arguments. I grew up in the area and I played soccer out here as a kid and I can assure you the parents of these children will not be kind to this. I love disc golf and the community but many of the participants decide that they can't play sober so they'll bring their vices here and think that it won't be a big deal because they do this at every park they play at. This park is different; you are mere feet away from children's games, sidelines, parents and officials. This will stir trouble and again, cause complaints, get the game removed from the park anyways and inhibit any other courses from being established in the area. So let me go ahead and say thanks in advance to those losers who will cause trouble for the rest of us. In regards to holes that are safety concerns, I think they can be fixed by rerouting so you're not throwing at or up against playing fields (seems like this should have been done the first time) and yes this may mean that you can't have a 1000ft hole but where does it say that you can't have fun on a hole if it's not 1000ft long? I do believe with some more serious work this course has potential to be fun for all level of players so that is why I still give it a 2.0 rating

Danger Danger Danger

1    11/10/2013   11/11/2013
Review By: BraveThrower43
This review was updated on 3/24/2014
Pros: I played the Gold course for this review but the Blue has many of the same issues.

The park is beautiful and well maintained. Great Athletic Complex.

The wind made it slightly more difficult.

There are a few decent holes.(probably 5-6)

Cons: There are some MAJOR safety concerns in this park. Between playing too close to ball fields and holes alongside roads it is a SERIOUS problem.

The OB's and mandos(3) along with the landing zones on holes 3, 8, and 13 and a few others are not a good combo. For the distance required to throw on these holes the landing zones are not suffiecent.

Hole 8 is awful. Even with the hillside clear it will be a poor hole. Once again the landing zones+distance will be insufficient.

Hole 15 gold is a plinko fairway. yes there are gaps but they are luck gaps that are not realistic to hit over and over again.

If the pros ever played here(I doubt they ever will) they would bash this course to oblivion

Ok now for the Par issue. Changing the par on a hole does not make the hole harder. it's just a number. When you change a short one to a par 2 or a 500 ft hole to a par 3 you are just arbitrarily saying "My course is harder" when it's really not. 90% of the field is still going to get 2's on the par 2's and 3's on the stupidly long par 3's. These are not bad par settings, they are bad holes. The scoring separation will just never happen. A gold level player will get the same score 99% of the time.

Hole 3's gold pad is almost in the fairway of hole 2. One tree kick and someones getting hit.......although it's so close I doubt anyone will be able to throw 2 while people are on 3's pad.

But even without the ball fields this course would not be a solid layout. There are just no OMG this is awesome holes.
Other Thoughts: I have doubts that this course will survive in it's current state. It is in major conflict with the rest of the park. I asked a few patrons in the park walking and watching us what they thought of the course and they said "we think it's dangerous". Not a good thing. As a Parks and Recreation professional I was appalled with the blatant disregard for safety in the design. This course was a major overreach. I'm not even 100% sure that disc golf is viable in this park since the useable land is so spread out throughout the park and is divided by large Athletic fields and other facilities. It might could be done with some longer transitions and a major scale down of the course distance and par.

This course would never be allowed to hold a worlds and honestly is not a true Gold level course. I have played Gold level and this is not it.

I would not recommend playing this course unless you are a courses played junky. Also avoid weekends if you are going to play. Baseball and softball will be played most weekends I would imagine.

Just keep on driving...

1    11/10/2013   11/10/2013
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: - 18 hole course with great new baskets
- Two sets of concrete pads for each hole.
- Easy to get to
- Nice, clean town park
- Well kept and clean
- Grass was all mowed
- It is in NC
- You probably won't get shot or mugged. Nice area.

- Plenty of food and booze nearby. Which you will need after a round here.

- Far enough from my house I won't be tempted to drive back and play again.

Cons: - Not one hole that you stand on the tee and say "cool". Just no really good holes. NONE.

- Par 2s??? That's just idiotic on a non-beginner or kid's course.

- Plenty of roads, parking lots and other park users in play. Too many safety issues to list.

- Mandos used to cover up dangerous design features.

- Artificial OB in attempt to make open holes more challenging. Just really weak.

Other Thoughts: Ok, you get the idea. This is a park that probably could have a decent little beginner or intermediate level course squeezed in. With some good design work. Trying to force a "Championship" level course, whatever that means, into this park was simply a mistake. Odds are there will be enough conflicts with cars and other park users that the local park's department will eventually be tempted to simply shut it down. Cars slowed in fear as they saw our group preparing to throw in a few spots. We had to wait as cars came around a blind turn hidden by a tree.

Now, even if you are that 1200 rated player that can throw 600' wherever and whenever you want there isn't a lot of fun to be had here. No good technical holes or elevation. And on more than one hole the fairway either sucks or is possibly just a wooded version of plinko. Like the long tee at 14. 14's short tee however is really OK. Should have just left it at that. In several places the fairways and lines are just nuts. Throw in some human error or wind and you'll be drilling cars and houses or loosing a disc maybe. There are a few decent holes here, but not enough to overcome all the other issues.

Sorry for the rant and negative review, but if I was a tax payer in that town I'd be pissed I partially paid for this abomination. Obviously no one involved had a lick of common sense. Hell, I'd fire all the park's employees that let this course go in the ground.

Like I said, this course could have been an OK beginner's level course with some careful planning. It was never going to be great in that park, but it could have served a purpose to the neighboring housing developments and local players. But someone just HAD to build a big, tough course. What a shame.

IF you are one of those people that like to stop to watch the bodies hauled off after an accident, or go to your local Wally World and check out how much fat is hanging out of poor clothes choices then this is your place. It's a frightening accident scene better left to others. Just keep on driving folks.

Well I had fun

1    10/31/2013   11/1/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: We showed up close to dusk, had the course to ourselves and finished the last three holes in the dark. We saw a woman walking two dogs, near hole four, but other than that, the park was completely empty. I threw some bombs, failed to locate the majority of the mandos and in general had a blast.

There are some really fun holes here. Two in particular is a really nice design from the blue tee. Straight and narrow and actually very aesthetically pleasing inside the tunnel of trees. The transition from that to three was also nice. Of all the long holes, three was my favorite. Partially because this was the first rip-it hole I'd played in a while(the destroyer was also glad to be out of the bag for once), but mostly because of the slightly elevated tee and the way it opens up from the trees.

My favorite hole by far was fifteen. I've always had a thing for holes that start in the trees and play out onto an open area, or holes that are mostly open but finish in dense forest. This one fits the bill. I loved throwing out of there.

The greatest feature of Springwood is not any one hole. It's variety of lengths. I've never seen a course that has such extremes. The short holes are short. The long holes are long. I liked the short holes that sat the basket behind a thick tree, giving the player opportunity to come in from either side for a chance at the basket. I also like the sheer tenacity of hole eight. That one was a journey.

Some of the lines may be intended for expert players. But with the park empty, more lines are available, and intermediate throwers may find Springwood to be a nice play.
Cons: As I said before, when I played the park was empty. If it was not empty, there are a ton of dangerous spots to throw. Roads and fields are adjacent to fairways in numerous spots. I can imagine someone with expert placement will never have a problem, but that's not me and it's probably not most of the people that will use this course.

This is a course that forces you to emphasize landing zone rather than flight path. I've played other courses that did that. It's not necessarily a bad thing. But here, the possible flight paths that will give a good landing spot include long curves over roads and parking lots. If there had been any cars in either, I would have enjoyed my game a lot less.

There are also a number of holes that I do not care for. Eleven and twelve are probably the worst offenders. I realize that a tree line could offer the same effect that the fence does in terms of constricting shots, but when it's a fence, it just feels artificial. In particular the placement on twelve is frustrating.

Sixteen and seventeen typify the road issue better than any others. Short porch basket with trees to the immediate right. There is no way that I and many other are not going to throw a forehand over the road trying for the ace on those two short holes.

Another major factor preventing this course from joining the elite is the flow. From the first basket, the second basket is closer than the second tee. From the fourth basket, the fifth basket is just across the street. I understand the various fields, roads and parking lots prevent the flow from being improved, but there is a lot of superfluous walking between holes. The gaps between sixteen and seventeen, and then seventeen and eighteen are immense. I don't mind a lengthy walk, if it's along a path that leads to a fantastic hole location. That's not what's happening here.

While this can be seen as a challenging course, almost all of the difficulty comes from length and artificial mandos and ob. The former is great when coupled with other challenging elements. The latter is just not my cup of tee.
Other Thoughts: I understand there is some controversy about this course. What it is, what it isn't and what it was supposed to be. I feel like some will find my rating overly generous. Others will think it is far too low. To me, I found Springwood to be a fun course that I liked playing a lot. At the same time, I realize that even a little bit of traffic to the park's other amenities would damage the playability of at least a few holes. I can easily imagine a scenario where the majority of the holes are unplayable. It may just remain one of those courses where you have to be careful when you play it.

Reviewed for the casual disc golfer

5+    10/9/2013   10/18/2013
Review By: Tenacious EJ
This review was updated on 10/21/2013
Pros: -a difficult, challenging course
-new baskets and tees
-easy to get to and close to the highway
-excellent upkeep
Cons: -unforgiving, brier-infested rough on a lot of holes that eats discs
-far too many mandos and OB's
-not much fun for beginners, and in fact designed for very skilled players.
-still waiting on the tee signs
-designed around other park activities and properties, so misplaced throws could threaten other park-goers or end up in private property or the street
Other Thoughts: As I stated in the title, this review is for the casual golfers, not the pros and experts. There will be no talk of "must deuce" holes except for holes 5 & 17, which are par 2's to begin with. There will still be ace runs though, because quite a few holes are in reach for the average golfer from either tee. However, many golfers will probably find the mix of length and skill needed to play from the gold tees too much for a few of the holes.

Springwood was designed primarily for very skilled golfers, so first and foremost let me say, it's a tough course. There is a six hole rookie run for beginners, but frankly 6 holes doesn't seem like worth the time. I play from the blues primarily, mostly because I don't have the arm to par the few very long holes on the course (3, 8, 11, 13, 18) from the gold tees. There is quite a good length to these holes, blue or gold, so be forewarned. Emphasis is placed on shot placement, and missing the fairways often leads to penalties, both actual, and physical. The rough here is absolutely unforgiving- expect to either lose plastic, or blood, or both. It's thick and full of briers, spiders, and mosquitos, and some of it is physically both OB and private property. Additionally, some of the fairways border backyards, a cow pasture, walking paths, roads, and ball fields, and they can be quite narrow. For the most part, you need to have controlled distance and accuracy to score well. There are a few easier holes that mix up the difficulty, in addition to some really nice, interesting holes that make good use of the available land. But the course was built around the rest of the park, and as a result, it can sometimes feel like an afterthought. Holes are often placed between other activities, and when the park is busy the people engaged in those other activities occasionally get in your way, or vice versa. Holes 3 & 4 are going to give average players trouble when baseball/softball games and tourneys are ongoing (weekends mostly), and the same for holes 11-14 when the soccer fields are in heavy use (weeknights and occasional weekends). Vehicular traffic through the park can be heavy during those times as well, which can influence shots on holes bordering the roads, which many do. But play has shown that a round can still be played if one takes these into consideration. If you want to play the course with very little chance of dealing with other influences, I highly recommend Mon-Fri from morning until about 5pm.

The course itself is a decent mix of throws, mixed in with minor elevation changes. It's fairly open, with only a few wooded holes, but though the course has been wedged in, it was designed so as to turn these limitations into strengths. For the most part this has worked, though on a few holes (3, 13, 17), it has not. Hole 3, which wraps around the baseball fields, has a number of things working against it, especially if you're not on your game. The fairway narrows, even more so thanks to mando light towers, trees, the OB fields and walking path to either side, and an angled hillside, which all add up to plenty of ways to miss your target and add strokes to your score. It's one of the toughest holes on the course and one of the most likely to endanger folks on the ballfields and walking path. 13 is narrow, long, and straight, with ball fields to the left and backyards, some fenced-in, on the right, which at certain times can also be trouble. 17 is short and narrow, bordered by the road and thick rough which is also OB and private property. Its a short and dull par 2 that feels like filler, and could have been replaced by splitting either 3 or 8 into two holes.

Speaking of 8- it could really be great, but currently its a long meandering and snaking hole with unimaginable rough on the right and, well, some more on the left. It's a work in progress, but its very slow going. The fairway down the middle is narrow and not enough, at the moment, to compensate for the walls of trouble to either side. Someday it will be a nice little hole, but for now its something you may want to avoid, or at least play it with a spotter.

As for the rest of the course, it has a few nice holes to keep you intrigued. 2 is a really nice tunnel hole that takes advantage of the rows of pines along the baseball fields. 11 is a terrific risk/reward hole where making par is often a function of avoiding the dense rough and having the courage to really go for it. 12 is a tricky shot with a steep angled hill on the left ending in a 90 degree turn. And 15 is a great par 4 that starts in the woods and ends in a field surrounded by trees with OB's to either side. The course finishes with a par 5 uphill hole with an elevated basket and a much-debated tee shot from either tee.

All in all it's a decent course to test your arm and accuracy, and it will keep you thinking. So why only a 3? Too much OB and too much danger to the public. On nearly every hole, the rest of the park comes into play, and when that's constantly in the back of your head, it influences your play. Sometimes, it forces you to skip holes due to other park patrons' proximity. Other times there are throws that just don't seem possible. Most of the time the park is fairly empty, but when it's crowded, you have to be careful. My other problem is that this course was specifically designed to NOT be played by the majority of the public, but resides in a public park. I feel it should have been designed as 18 holes for everybody, and I definitely think there could be red, blue, and gold tees on every hole so everyone was included. But specifically excluding so many is a concern for me since this is not private land, especially since more beginners are going to drive to the closer Springwood Park instead of driving way out to Cedarock. And that, I think, is why the score is so low.

Great course!!!

1    10/10/2013   10/10/2013
Review By: YoMambaSoFly
Pros: Soooo....I don't understand why this course has such a low rating. It seems like most of the people locally I've talked to said how crappy the course layout is, It makes no sense and so on. This is definitely a course you have to take time to plan your shots. If you want happy fun time feel good score go play Johnson Street from the white pads with the rest of the weekend chuckers. If you want a course that's gonna kick your butt and test your skills fully, this is the course, and personally I'm glad to see a course of this caliber in the area!! I thought the course was fairly easy to navigate, nice pads and quite challenging. Kudos to the designers and those who put this course in!!!
Cons: I only have two complaints, some of those soccer moms haul tail through there. So if you do wind up in the road, especially from 16-18, watch out. Apparently its 15 mph over the speed bumps and 60mph down to the soccer fields. And whoever Shaggy is who carved their name into the middle of one of the pads around 3 or 4, your a moron!!! I can't stand when idiots infiltrate a new disc golf course and start putting their stupid nicknames on everything. Shaggy? Really? Someone worked real hard to put that pad in and now it has your stupid nickname on it.
Other Thoughts: Get out and play this course!!!

Springwood

1    10/6/2013   10/6/2013
Review By: paulymonnc
Pros: Pro level course. This course defines the sport for the future. Precision and location and length. This has it all for taking your game to the next level. Par 62 is no joke.
Cons: I don't believe in Par 2's but it does help the Par schematic.

Player's Play

1    9/5/2013   9/7/2013
Review By: New013
Pros: Layout - Overall the course is what I call park style where the course flows a mainly public park setting with few trees and more open fairways.

The best thing about this course is a mixture of distances multiple par holes. You have everything from some shorter par 3's to some monster 1000'+ holes.

It's a predominant placement type course where the emphasis is on where you land not so much gaps you have to hit.

A solid amount of OB helps reinforce the placement shot challenge. There's quite a bit of it and you deal with it beginning to end.

The part of the course I most enjoyed was the 6-11 stretch. Some fun shots where some factors I'll mention in cons are less of a concern. It not only plays the best but is the most beautiful part of the course with some interesting features in play like willow trees.

There's a tad bit of elevation changes in the course with some shots off small hills and a few holes that play along slopes.

Course flows well and it's obvious where to go next most of the time. No long walks to the next pad.

Equipment - Brand new Discatchers and concrete pads that were generally sized appropriately for each hole.

Atmosphere - Really nice new looking park with some great facilities. Wasn't anybody else there really when I was there but with multiple baseball/multipurpose fields on the complex I'm sure that won't be the standard.
Cons: Layout - It's a predominant open and flattish course with only two real wooded holes. If you like technical gap hitting disc golf this isn't it. For me there isn't enough balance.

Now to the nitty gritty; in my honest opinion this course was an overreach by the designers. They wanted to make this a championship caliber course with multi-shot holes and an emphasis on placement while throwing at distance and in a way they suceeded. However, the course seems forced on to parts of the park disc golf just shouldn't be which causes not only non-interesting holes but safety issues.

For starters some holes play way to close to the road and parking lots while others play way to close to the fields in the complex. Not to mention you wrap around the fields going counter clockwise so RHBH & LHFH players have a high risk of fading towards the fields and roads. I don't think I'd be comfortable even playing the course if there were kids on the fields.

Secondly the spaces these holes near the fields and roads are crammed in to just seems inefficient and overly punitive considering the OB. I get this course was designed for top level players in mind but we all know the majority of the players will be recreational and unable to control their discs at a level necessary for this to be safe, especially since the shots call for long bombs.

They did put up some Mandos around the baseball field to try and force the issue but to me this is just a sign that the hole shouldn't be there.

I think the course could have been designed as a 9 holer and put in the area where 4-10 and 18-2 currently exists. You could of still had some multi shot holes within this without adding in the more dangerous shots on the course.

There's also a block of woods to the right of 18 that may have been used to give more balance however I don't know if this was usable so I'll excuse that.

To me instead of putting in the 1200' #8 this area should have been broken up in to multiple holes so you could keep more risky shots out as well.

In the end you have some good holes but some really bad and dangerous holes forced in to get from A to B.

Another issue I have is that even some of the better holes equate to throwing a big hyzer or anny over and over. That's most of the front 9 then the back 9 is throw super straight and don't fade left or right and go OB.

The first wooded hole (#2) on the course gives you a tight tunnel shot but it's possible to throw a big hyzer over the trees and championship level players can definitely simplify this hole extremely.

The second wooded hole (#15) has you throwing out of the woods but the fairway isn't discernible at present. I would of moved the pad farther up so you still have a gap you're throwing out of on this par 4 but not a pinball lane. If that was done you could of moved the basket for #14 in to the woods a bit and had a more interesting shot instead of another wide open boring shot.

There's other things that weren't great about this course like the overgrowth and briar coming way to close to a few fairways and greens and I honestly believe this stuff will be taken care of so I'm not going to put a lot of emphasis on it.

Judging from the overall design of the course I would consider a redesign that puts safety and balance at the forefront where as now it just seems like they ignored everything but trying to create challenge through hefty OB.

Equipment - No tee signs as of yet although this could be soon remedied. They used tape to put up the M's for Mando and it's already coming off although that may have been temporary and might end up getting something more permanent.

Where they poured the pads they left overflow concrete in the front and back of the pads which is not only an eyesore but a safety issue although again this is maybe something they end up taking care of they had just poured these pads.

Atmosphere - As I said I played this course when the park was mostly empty though I can see if some baseball games were going on you'd have a ton of people throughout the park and getting in your way. That would make what to me was a not fun round even less enjoyable.
Other Thoughts: I think it's great these guys had a vision to try and make something grand for the area but to me this was just a poor choice of venue. I sincerely hope what I perceived as huge safety risks turn out to not be so.

Overall I enjoyed a part of the course but the rest to me was not only boring but frustrating considering the issues that popped out to me. I don't recommend playing this course.

I also hope the people who put the work in to make this course happen don't take this as a personal judgement against them and the work they've done but instead as constructive feedback.

As another helpful guide and something I normally don't do I'll post the holes I think need to be reconsidered.

2 - move tee closer to the wood and prevent an over the top shot

3 - perhaps break it up in to smaller holes that lessen the chance of safety issues or remove this part of the course altogether

4 - the short pad to me is not a big safety issue however the long pad seems dangerous

8 - break this hole up in to smaller holes and perhaps use the woods on the left more after clearing out the overgrowth

12 & 13 - both seemed forced just to get you to the other side of the park. due to this i'd think about scrapping 12 - 17 altogether and not using any of that area of the park.